HFL problems sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HFL problems sucks!!

I own Cingular T616. Yesterday my system froze for few second. It wouldn’t let me do anything, other than showing main menu on the display window. Every since then, when I take my phone into the car, some times it won’t let me place calls. It says “no phone is found” or something like that, but I get calls on the HFL few seconds later. Only way for me to fix this problem is to turn off the phone and pair every time it does this.

Another problems. I told the HFL to call my MOM, and it said “Did you say Mark” and I said yes by accidentally. After hitting back button to disconnect, when every I say MOM, the HFL recognizes as Mark and tries to call again and again.

This happens with numbers also. When I said 323-xxx-xxxx, it showed 823-xxx-xxxx. I hit back and said it again, but it shows up the wrong number. I even tried saying it slowly, but doesn’t help at all.

Any fix to this problem?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

1. ...Only way for me to fix this problem is to turn off the phone and pair every time it does this...
    Turn off the phone?

Have you tried to completely delete TL's HFL info and re-pair your Bluetooth phone into HFL system again?

2. Do you really have "Mark"'s phone number in your address book? If so, how's about make one of them more distinguishable?

3. As for 323 or 823 issue, it's really the case of accent or pronunciation. You prolly could find the good way to "talk" to HFL after a few more practices. IMHO. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Racer

I think its not the accent or pronunciation cuz I have non. I think its the way it stores info into the memory, and keeps displaying that number.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

So, if you believe it's the way it stores info into the system, how's about trying to reset your phone book again?

IMO, most of ppl could get used to and adapt to the system after practicing a period of time. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Instructor

I noticed the HFL sucks when the fan is on at higher speeds.

When I say 416-xxx-xxxx it repeats 016-xxx-xxxx

I really think its the background noise that is the issue. My cell phone provider (Rogers Wireless) has a voice recognition system for placing calls, so I programmed an entry in my TL phone book called "Voice Command". This dials the voice command number and then I interact with the voice recognition system of my wireless phone company. When the fan is on high, it also messes up numbers and names, but if I speak directly into the handset, it recognizes names and numbers without any problems.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Doesn't the owner manual already indicate that drivers have to slow down and lower the music while using HFL?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
Doesn't the owner manual already indicate that drivers have to slow down and lower the music while using HFL?
When you use the HFL the music stops. Did you mean "lower the fan"?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TRK9
When you use the HFL the music stops. Did you mean "lower the fan"?
Right, my mistake. And, I have to read my manual now.
  • To set the climate control fan speed to low, and direct the center vents away from the microphone in the ceiling.

I remember there is another source saying the condition of driving speed... but couldn't find it now.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Racer

Well, naturally if you have the window open and drive at high speeds it will create background noise which could lower the HFL's accuracy. I redid my entire phonebook on the TL after I got my Treo 650. The TL system responds much better when you give it longer names. So, as far as recognition issues are concerned, I'd suggest saying the person's full name, first and last.

And the issue with your phone pairing, try what's been suggested to you buy deleting the phone entry from the HFL and repairing the device. I had a similar problem when I first got the Treo. Everything works as it should now.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Drifting

How long ago did you buy your T616? You can visit Sung @ global mobilty in OC. www.globalmob.com...he's a good guy and can help you with your phone.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TRK9
I noticed the HFL sucks when the fan is on at higher speeds.

When I say 416-xxx-xxxx it repeats 016-xxx-xxxx

I really think its the background noise that is the issue. My cell phone provider (Rogers Wireless) has a voice recognition system for placing calls, so I programmed an entry in my TL phone book called "Voice Command". This dials the voice command number and then I interact with the voice recognition system of my wireless phone company. When the fan is on high, it also messes up numbers and names, but if I speak directly into the handset, it recognizes names and numbers without any problems.

How exactly does this work? I have the Motorola V710 and I would love to use their voice command system. As of right now, pressing the HFL buitton on the steering wheel does not activate the voice command system on the phone. If there is a way to interact with it, I would be endlessly grateful if you could help me!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 714tman
How exactly does this work? I have the Motorola V710 and I would love to use their voice command system. As of right now, pressing the HFL buitton on the steering wheel does not activate the voice command system on the phone. If there is a way to interact with it, I would be endlessly grateful if you could help me!
?Did you buy your TL new??
All you need is a compatable bluetooth enabled phone and the directions to pair it.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I have the same model phone (so does my wife) and we've never had these problems in our '05 TL.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jafo
I have the same model phone (so does my wife) and we've never had these problems in our '05 TL.
What the TL needs is the ability to upload the phonebook directly to the HFL system via Bluetooth kinda like you would sync with your PC. Or heck have a USB port to link via wire. Also it would be nice to see a visual confirmation on the Navi screen for phone directory. Scroll to a phone book selection and select via touch screen. AND make the phone book memory larger - perhaps 100 or 150 names. I'm put off by all of the button pushing and verbal commands many times not recognized - it becomes a hassle to call someone. Ya it's kool for about 15 minutes when showing off to a newbie in the car. This becomes a drag. I find myself popping the phone off the visor (clip) and doing a hot button dial (most used numbers) and saying 'Transfer' to the HFL to get on speaker. Jesus, don't these engineers who disign these things actually try using them?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
What the TL needs is the ability to upload the phonebook directly to the HFL system via Bluetooth kinda like you would sync with your PC. Or heck have a USB port to link via wire. Also it would be nice to see a visual confirmation on the Navi screen for phone directory. Scroll to a phone book selection and select via touch screen. AND make the phone book memory larger - perhaps 100 or 150 names. I'm put off by all of the button pushing and verbal commands many times not recognized - it becomes a hassle to call someone. Ya it's kool for about 15 minutes when showing off to a newbie in the car. This becomes a drag. I find myself popping the phone off the visor (clip) and doing a hot button dial (most used numbers) and saying 'Transfer' to the HFL to get on speaker. Jesus, don't these engineers who disign these things actually try using them?

I totally agree. The voice commands on the HFL system fro the TL don't work nearly as well as the voice command interface for my V710. However, I can't use the 710's voice dialing when paired with my TL. Unless of course, I initiate the call from the phone and then do the "transfer." Which just defeats the purpose of "hands free." I wish I could activate my dialing menu on my 710 by just pressing the HFL button on the TL.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Intermediate

I agree, tman. The HFL should allow you to pass your voice through to use the phone's voice dial with is 1) almost always there in any bluetooth-enabled phone, and 2) vastly superior in voice recognition to what's included in the TL (and was probably designed in 1999 to make it into the 2004 model year (automotive electronics design cycles are s-l-o-w)