HFL Bluetooth secrets

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:35 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HFL Bluetooth secrets

So here I am sitting in my TL with my laptop. I attached my BT dongle to my laptop and started searching for BT devices.

Interesting...

Device I got:

HandsfreeLink TM
Audio device

Right click on icon, properties and I get

Device address 00:0a:30:10:7b:43

Ok... lets see what services this has...right click on icon, discover available services.

1 - OBEX file transfer on handsfreelink TM
2 - OBEX Object push on handsfreelink TM

Well well... isn't that interesting. Knowledgable BT people will know that "OBEX Object push" is what you need for bluejacking.

So... I can bluejack a TL's HFL? Hmmmm.... I wonder. I also wonder what other objects I can push onto the HFL?

I use OBEX Object push all the time to install java games onto my v635 cell phone. That's because the cell phone reconnizes .jar files as java apps to b installed. On a v635 if you try to object push a .jad file instead, it says unknown object and fails the transfer.

So it's interesting to see that it has object push, now to find out how to exploit this thing. hehehehe

PS: Look up Bluejacking on google if you don't know what it is.
PPS: Yes, I'm typing this from my laptop in my TL right now. Gotta love built-in WiFi on these new laptops.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
TL hacker

Woah!

I've just successfully paired my laptop to the HFL.

On the HFL I started the pairing process. Then on my laptop I simply tried to OBEX object push a file onto the the HFL. As I did that the laptop complained that it wasn't paired with the device. So it asks me the pairing code. I simply enter the code as I said to the HFL and voila. The HFL "lady" voice says "A new phone has sucessfully been paired".

But the object push failed however.

Ok... next test. Since the laptop sees the HFL as an audio device I'm going to try to see if I can use it as such via the laptop. If all goes well I can probably output sound to the HFL from my laptop.

be back in a bit, i'll keep this post updated with my findings.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Woah!

I've just successfully paired my laptop to the HFL.

<snip>

Ok... next test. Since the laptop sees the HFL as an audio device I'm going to try to see if I can use it as such via the laptop. If all goes well I can probably output sound to the HFL from my laptop.

be back in a bit, i'll keep this post updated with my findings.
I didn't know the HFL has any profile to support BT audio. I'm anxious to hear your results in pushing audio from the laptop to HFL!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to pair a BT I-pod (idea to Apple) to the HandFreeLink....
Old 06-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pilozm
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to pair a BT I-pod (idea to Apple) to the HandFreeLink....
There is another thread discussing this exact topic by connecting a BT adapter to the iPod - https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/4s-sl-r-powered-mirrors-1st-gen-apexi-n-1-exhaust-universal-116959/. I don't think it will work though.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any progress Zeuser?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 PM
TL hacker

Progress? hahaha... I fucked up royally!

Here's what happened:

I object push a .jar file onto the HFL. Success! My laptop said the copy was sucessful. What? Weird. That .jar file was a java game for a cell phone.

So I try to enable services on my laptop that te HFL will recconize. That way mayb the HFL will accept audio from my laptop. So my laptop scan for the HFL. Can't find it. Damn. So I re-pair the HFL to the laptop. uh oh!

This is where it went bad. The pairing failed on my laptop. Ok fine. So I pess the cancel button on the HFL. nothing. MID is stuck on "Pair" display. Ok... i'll just shut off the car and re-start. Nothing... MID display is still stuck. Hmmmm.... weird. Just out of curiosity I scan for BT devices. Bingo... there's the HFL. What? The car is off and the bluetooth is still on? Probably a result of my fuck up.

So now I can't get the MID out of he "pair" screen. No matter what I do. Only one option left... a "hard" reboot! That's disconnecting the TL's battery for the un-initiated.

Disconnect the battery, wait about 2 mins. Reconnect. Ahhh.... that's better.

Car starts up. 0:00 on the clock. Trip computer 0 both A and B. The navi software reloads from the DVD disc. Damn... that's the factory one, not my hacked version. Ah well, I'll reload my hacked version later I guess.

The the navi asks for the unlock code. So I run back inside and get the card. Punch in the numbers... voila. All is fine.

Wait a minute... nothing is lost? My seat/mirror memory settings are fine. My remote is still linked to driver 1. Check the personallized settings (auto door lock, lights out etc.), still set as I last set them. Check the radio. All my AM/FM presets are fine. Check the navi system (home address, personal addresses), still there. Check the HFL. Damn... I got to re-pair wit my phone. No problem, phone pairs up just fine. What's this? My phone book is still intact? No way!

So I checkd through all the systems and it's all fine. Except for the loss of my trip computer all the settings and data are just fine.

Ouffff.... this will save me a lot of data entry time.

Well, enough for tonight. Although I wasn't really scared about my fuck up, it's easy to reset, I was concerned about re-entering all my settings. So I wasted about an hour, learned some new lessons and had a good "fright". LOL!

I'll do a bit of research and try again tomorrow. I want to get the damn laptop to play audio through the HFL. It's a BT audio device. I'm sure there's a way to pull it off!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 AM
TL hacker

Well, no good news to report. The HFL didn't give me the audio gateway or headset service so I can't output audio to it.

Strangely enough, pusshing .jar objects to the HFL seems to work but nothing happens on the HFL after. I wonder is the object push is there for upgrading the software?

The OBEX file transfer, sort of like windows explorer, allows me to connect but doesn't show any files. Damn, I thought I had a way to download the HFL software for possible reverse engineering.

At this point I can't confirm if the bluetooth link for the iPod will work or not. My oppinion is that it won't. But I guess we'll have to wait until someone actually tries it to know for sure.

Oh... for some reason bluejacking also doesn't work.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Instructor

The OBEX push is probably for transferring contacts and not games ;-) Also, maybe you need to establish a secure connection?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Not surprised by the results

Nice try Zeuser. Too bad it didn't work.

Out of curiosity, has your laptop ever successfully broadcasted MP3 over BT to any BT stereo headphone or other BT receiver? If not, perhaps that Audio device reported by your laptop was bogus?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Here's an blog from someone who tried 'sniffin' TL's BT from a phone:
http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main...n_the_blu.html
Old 06-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MeltdowN
Wonder why he used a Series 60 phone to do the sniffing...P910a would've been more fun and robust...much more you can do when you snarf around.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:27 PM
TL hacker

The OBEX push is probably for transferring contacts and not games ;-) Also, maybe you need to establish a secure connection?
Tried that too. Pushing contacts are successful but nothing changes on the HFL. No new contacts in the phonebook.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by Parker75
Nice try Zeuser. Too bad it didn't work.

Out of curiosity, has your laptop ever successfully broadcasted MP3 over BT to any BT stereo headphone or other BT receiver? If not, perhaps that Audio device reported by your laptop was bogus?
Yes, my laptop does broadcast over BT. I've done it before.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
TL hacker

Prety much confirms my own findings with my laptop. It's "handsfree", not "headset" or "audio gateway". Hence why it won't play audio coming from my laptop.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Wonder why he used a Series 60 phone to do the sniffing...P910a would've been more fun and robust...much more you can do when you snarf around.
I've actually tried that program on my P910a, and it's pretty cool. Only wish the P910a would actually work better with the TL.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
TLover

I've actually tried that program on my P910a, and it's pretty cool. Only wish the P910a would actually work better with the TL.
can i use that program with my razr? and which one do i download?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Do you guys think that this product for the ipod will work with what you found with HFL?

http://www.tentechnology.com/product...s_naviplay.php

I want a way to pipe music through bluetooth if possible.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
TLover

Originally Posted by Anubus12
Do you guys think that this product for the ipod will work with what you found with HFL?

this is what it says on their site. i guess you need to wait for the firmware release, but can you still have the phone connected to the car at the same time?

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 1.2 certified
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
Headset Profile (HSP)*
Handsfree Profile (HFP)*
* Not in initial product release. May require firmware update.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anubus12

This could possibly work but it requires a firmware revision on both sides of the party.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Instructor

This could possibly work but it requires a firmware revision on both sides of the party.
Yeah, and I guess even when you could, the audio quality is definitely gonna suck, given that HFL is meant for voice.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Correct, Acura needs to add the BT profiles for (stereo) headset and/or audio gateway. Presently all we have in HFL is the BT hands-free profile, as Zeuser has verified.

Does anyone know what company provided Acura with the HFL BT technology? Or is it all integrated into the (Panasonic?) DVD-A system ?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Correct, Acura needs to add the BT profiles for (stereo) headset and/or audio gateway. Presently all we have in HFL is the BT hands-free profile, as Zeuser has verified.

Does anyone know what company provided Acura with the HFL BT technology? Or is it all integrated into the (Panasonic?) DVD-A system ?
Johnson Electronics did the HFL setup for the TL:

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_159_1.html

The system uses Boradcom's BCM2033 bluetooth chip, I think.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Johnson Electronics did the HFL setup for the TL:

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_159_1.html

The system uses Boradcom's BCM2033 bluetooth chip, I think.
Thanks MeltdowN!

Now, if we can just find an engineer at Johnson Electronics to ask the question about adding BT audio via their supplied HFL infrastructure. That way we can determine if an aftermarket tweak/hack can use their electronics for BT audio.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Thanks MeltdowN!

Now, if we can just find an engineer at Johnson Electronics to ask the question about adding BT audio via their supplied HFL infrastructure. That way we can determine if an aftermarket tweak/hack can use their electronics for BT audio.
Currently, the only BT profile that supports good quality stereo audio is the A2DP or Advanced Audio Distribution Profile. The HFL doesn't support this profile and very few devices, like some of the very latest phones, support it. The only way, IMO, to stream audio to the unmodified HFL, is via the Handsfree profile. The very fact that a phone can do it means that even a computer should be able to do it. However, the HFL, since it implements the Handsfree profile, only supports 'Bluetooth audio' which is low quality mono audio optimized for voice transmission.

So...to wirelessly transmit audio to TL's system (without any modifications), the best option would be to use one of those FM transmitters that plug into the stereo out port. You get decent quality and moreoever, its stereo.