Help planning my system

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help planning my system

Yup, it's yet another new guy thread

I picked up a 2006 TL earlier this year that is super clean, and after being without a car for too long it's fantastic to be back in the driver's seat again. Everything about this car is outstanding, apart from one tiny thing - stereo performance. I think the look of the stock installation is great, but in a car that's 6+ years old, the tech itself just doesn't cut it. So, I'm trying to figure out how to approach things.

My primary goal: improving sound quality significantly while maintaining not only the physical appearance of OEM installation, but as much integration as possible (steering controls, dash display, etc.).

Broad project milestones:

1) Replace headunit with aftermarket powering stock speakers, deal with space left by volume/tune knobs from stock HU, prepare for step 2 by pre-running cables to trunk
2) Replace stock speakers with aftermarket ones powered by amps, install sub enclosure
3) Replace navi system with... something. Leaning heavily towards a tablet that I can mount behind the stock navi trim rather than deal with installation of full car pc.

Super broad strokes, but gives you an idea of what I'd like to accomplish. I've done my own car stereo installs in the past so I'm not a complete novice, but I'm honestly not much more than that so I'm totally open to suggestions. What I'm really here looking for is information on integrating with the stock system. I found this thread with some searching:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/truth-about-installing-aftermarket-radio-into-3g-tl-747353/

Of particular interest to me is the "what will I lose" section, more specifically the last two entries - steering wheel controls and stereo information in climate control. Also not mentioned there is the dash clock which is apparently controlled by the navi. Unfortunately that thread seems like it had good information when it was last edited in 2009, but isn't a whole lot of help presenting me with current information.

So, can I get black boxes, tools, wiring diagrams, dongles, doohickeys, whatchamacallits, or whatever else it will take to keep these things functioning with an aftermarket system? Have I missed anything? Am I completely out to lunch? Any and all help appreciated!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im anxiously awaiting replies also. I just got an 06 tl as well and think stock system is horrible....
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
They dont make aftermarket dash kits for the 3g tl . So anything you do will have to be custom made by you or a stereo shop. I suggest you search the audio section and re evaluate what you want to do . Im upgrading all my speakers. But keeping the stock amp ( for the doors and rear deck ) , replacing the stock sub with a new one and adding an amp for the new sub. Ive already added an isimple kit to the car.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BlitzBlackGSXR
They dont make aftermarket dash kits for the 3g tl . So anything you do will have to be custom made by you or a stereo shop. I suggest you search the audio section and re evaluate what you want to do . Im upgrading all my speakers. But keeping the stock amp ( for the doors and rear deck ) , replacing the stock sub with a new one and adding an amp for the new sub. Ive already added an isimple kit to the car.
I'm not too concerned about the fabrication - as you said, looking through the threads here there are many examples of custom work that has turned out beautifully. I'll do/have done what I need to do to make it look good.

However, the aesthetics are really not what concern me. As above, I'm mostly interested in what it will take (or if it's even possible) to keep the steering wheel controls and the stereo info on the climate display - or ensuring at least that the display doesn't stop working altogether if I disconnect the OEM stereo and navi.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Since you have nav, just go with a processor to handle all audio duties.

You won't lose any controls(i dont think)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Why would you replace the stock HU? There's very little to gain and a lot to lose. Put the money you would have spent on that into a processor or a better set of front speakers.

If you read to the bottom of the linked thread, the guy installed an aftermarket HU to avoid using aftermarket amps to power his Infinities; to get more volume. That's completely retarded but he didn't have navi or it would be worse.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

I am looking to upgrade my 2007 TL non-navi. I just had a quote done 2 hours ago by a reputable local shop that did a pioneer navi system in the 06 Silverado Z-71 I traded for my TL.

It sounds like you have a very similar goal as me (with exception of the computer system which there is an excellent thread I came across here on a custom computer set-up for only $800 but you need some expertise and time to install).

1) Headunit- I am looking at the Pioneer AVHP4400BH. It's full 7" display will give you cleaner look when you replace the lower stock headunit. I have not been able to find a pre-fab custom fascia that will fill in the gap in the aluminum volume knob cutout's. The shop I went to said they would take a sample of the flat black stock unit and color match it and fab a custom faceplate. This color match would provide a clean non-glossy look matching color of upper unit faceplate. Total cost I was quoted for parts and labor with custom faceplate is $785. This includes the wired steering control that allows volume control etc.

2)Replacing Speakers/Subs: I haven't done enough research to give you solid advice. There is a million options when it comes to this but check out this thread I just found.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/post-pics-your-trunks-systems-643925/

A few reply's down ron_C1 posted his set-up. I really like how clean and efficient the set-up is. I believe that sub box is pre-made for custom fit in TL but I have no idea where to find...going to start looking though! Also the shop I just went to quoted me for the same brand sub, Image Dynamic 12" ID12D2V.3 for 179.99. Haven't done enough research yet to decide if that's what I wanna go with but I read some issues about the coil not having a large enough gap and causing problems.

As far as speakers I haven't looked into brands too much but I have read that a simple swap (especially of front) can make a huge difference in quality and clarity.

3) Replace Navi System: The Pioneer AVHP4400BH ($550) I mentioned and many other pioneer headunits come with the option of buying AVIC F220 this allows you to run the navi system through the headunit. It costs about $300 bucks but integrates your headunit to a navi system without having to pay the $1000-$1200 for the navi headunit saving you a few hundered bucks.

Hope this helps. Good luck hunting. This acura forum is crazy....so much stuff to search through but you can get some great idea's!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
It's very difficult, time consuming, and costly to make a double din look proper in the 3rd gens.

Jman, your best bet is hunting down the stock nav and adding a processor.

Last edited by eggyhustles; 07-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I agree maintain oem headunit and functions. Money saved goes to better equipment.