Help for me install my Rockford amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for me install my Rockford amp

i tried to upgrade my factory amp (i thought it was plug and play) with the Rockford punch 300x4 well... i was a little misguided. i was greeted with a mess of wires on the Rockford amd and a mess of wires and connectors from removing my blown Acura amp. i think i have an idea though correct me if i'm wrong:
-run power and ground to the Rockford amp
-splice the speaker and remote wires from one of the connectors and connect it with the corresponding Rockford wires
-turn it up and enjoy my music
..... 1 problem though I'm not sure which connector i need to splice and add to the Rockford amp I've included some pictures below any help would be necessary. sorry for the long ass question

Pics of the amp and wires

im pretty sure i slice one of these (not sure if its the black or grey)

and connect it to this side

or this side

Old 10-06-2014, 07:05 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Wow yikes....well I can tell you this: At least you DO have the right amp there. This can work, but this will be a headache for you!

If you look on old threads there was a limited run of amps sold by a vendor named uncald4. He sold this amp with a plug n play harness. Essentially THAT is what you need install it plug n play. Pretty much that was the part that we were really paying him extra for. Because of the way he custom designed a harness, it took the guesswork out of it for us. He doesn't sell this product anymore. You could ask him but I'm pretty sure he's done with it and actually I'm not sure if he's a vendor with AZine anymore.

Now all is not lost, you actually CAN wire this up yourself with patience. You will have to do a bit of splicing/soldering. I see you are trying your best to figure out what goes where. The key is you NEED the workshop manual. It lists the full labeling of all the wires. None of us is going to remember this stuff off hand. You can find the manual to download by searching the forum.

But I can tell you this. All the wires you need to tap in are right there in the footwell. You will not have to run any wires through the firewall or into the cabin. Just study the input/output harnesses of the OEM amp in the manual and you can make it work. Also there is a tip on where to source power, ground and remote turn on wire in the footwell on that old thread with the uncald4 amp. Good luck!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are not replacing any speakers and want it to run properly you should just find an OEM amp and replace it. The problem with using that aftermarket amp is that it is a 4 channel amp so you will lose the center (which is not a big deal unless you have navigation) and the sub. Also, I believe that amp is only good for 4 ohm speakers and the TL has 2 ohm so it will run hot and may shut off. If I remember correctly people had issues with that plug and play set up.

You should be able to find an OEM amp from a junk yard or ebay.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yep it's true it's a 4 channel amp. But you can work around it by adding a mini-amp for the center like I did. (mentioned on that other thread) In my case I have overkill two 12" in the trunk so losing the OEM sub meant nothing to me. You could however make that work with another workaround if you wanted but that kind of effort would justify just doing external subwoofers in the first place.

Indeed the 4ohm output generating heat was also the first objection I had as a potential risk with this mod. uncald4 got quite a bit of flack for it from others too. It's the reason why some dismissed this mod and decided against it. A few of us decided to try it out anyways. After a few years of using it I can confirm that yes, the amp DOES run hot as expected. (Yeah I know, nobody likes to waste energy and dissipate it as heat.) BUT the fact is that it has been working perfectly. It has never overheated/shut off or had a burning smell. It still operates within parameters. It sounds great, no noise/distortion. And yes I definitely blast my music so the amp has definitely seen some use and performed like a champ.

I am definitely impressed with how such a small amp puts out impressive power and takes the load. My subs are also driven by a Rockford amp. Rock solid after 10yrs, I'm sold for life with their amps.