Help Diagnosing Auto Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Diagnosing Auto Start

i got the vipor auto start (don't remember the model but cheapest one) installed in my 2005 TL.....and when it works it is great. Problem is it only works about 50% of the time. Some mornings I will try it and nothing happens at all. Some mornings it will try to start but fail and then not let me try again. And then some mornings it will try to start and fail but let me keep trying. So its kind of hard for me to troubleshoot 3 different scenarios. Is this something I can fix or should I just take it back to the installer and let them handle it?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this a manual transmission or automatic? Is there a sequence that you need to go through in order for it auto start? I had a remote start on a manual transmission and i had to go through a safety sequence of first pulling up the hand brake than getting off the break than turning the car off. If i did any of this out of sequence the car would try to auto start and fail.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toe222
i got the vipor auto start (don't remember the model but cheapest one) installed in my 2005 TL.....and when it works it is great. Problem is it only works about 50% of the time. Some mornings I will try it and nothing happens at all. Some mornings it will try to start but fail and then not let me try again. And then some mornings it will try to start and fail but let me keep trying. So its kind of hard for me to troubleshoot 3 different scenarios. Is this something I can fix or should I just take it back to the installer and let them handle it?

I bet you have an automatic TL.

and I bet your "installer" used voltage sensing mode for the remote start (r/s) brain to learn when the vehicle is officially started so it can stop cranking.

This is a common problem with voltage sensing, which is why I always tell people to take the extra time to run the tachometer wire to the ignition coil or a dedicated tach wire in the vehicle BECU.

It doesn't let you "keep trying" because it thinks the car is already on ... and basically you have to hold down the auto start button and "shut down" what it thinks is a running vehicle, then you can re-start and it'll be fine. Various fluctuations in the vehicles voltage during any initial electrical activity (after it's been sitting overnight) will change the voltage sensing characteristics and the r/s will prematurely stop more cranking assuming it's already achieved full 13-14.0 volts.

If it was installed with tach mode and somehow the car didn't start on the first attempt, the Viper will attempt an autostart TWO more times (total of three attemps) before deciding to call it quits.

Solution: take it back to your installer and ask them to install it with tach sensing. Betcha they'll charge you extra

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Is this a manual transmission or automatic? Is there a sequence that you need to go through in order for it auto start? I had a remote start on a manual transmission and i had to go through a safety sequence of first pulling up the hand brake than getting off the break than turning the car off. If i did any of this out of sequence the car would try to auto start and fail.
If it was a manual .. it would NOT even try if the sequence was not done in the correct order -- you just get a series of honks/beeps/blips from the siren... that's it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your right my mistake i ment to say it wouldnt try to start and fail. Thanks for that clarification.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

and I bet your "installer" used voltage sensing mode for the remote start (r/s) brain to learn when the vehicle is officially started so it can stop cranking.

This is a common problem with voltage sensing, which is why I always tell people to take the extra time to run the tachometer wire to the ignition coil or a dedicated tach wire in the vehicle BECU.

Scenario 1:
It doesn't let you "keep trying" because it thinks the car is already on ... and basically you have to hold down the auto start button and "shut down" what it thinks is a running vehicle, then you can re-start and it'll be fine. Various fluctuations in the vehicles voltage during any initial electrical activity (after it's been sitting overnight) will change the voltage sensing characteristics and the r/s will prematurely stop more cranking assuming it's already achieved full 13-14.0 volts.

If it was installed with tach mode and somehow the car didn't start on the first attempt, the Viper will attempt an autostart TWO more times (total of three attemps) before deciding to call it quits.

Solution: take it back to your installer and ask them to install it with tach sensing. Betcha they'll charge you extra

Scenario 2:
It will try starting and fail, but let me keep trying to start it...

What did your installer use for the transponder bypass (i.e. the immobilizer anti-theft bypass).. did you have to give up a key to the installer that he stated he would "hide" in the vehicle? If so, this method is less reliable for bypassing the anti-theft system 100% of the time, particularly in the cold weather, and the way the installer wraps the antenna around the transponder receiver is very peculiar and sensitive. If your installer used a module that is pre-programmed, and you DID NOT have to give up a key, then this may not be the problem.

Solution: Have your installer re-seat the antenna for the transponder bypass antenna, OR switch to a more reliable module that'll use a binary code to start the car, not the Key-in-a-box method.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:
It will try starting and fail, but let me keep trying to start it...

What did your installer use for the transponder bypass (i.e. the immobilizer anti-theft bypass).. did you have to give up a key to the installer that he stated he would "hide" in the vehicle? If so, this method is less reliable for bypassing the anti-theft system 100% of the time, particularly in the cold weather, and the way the installer wraps the antenna around the transponder receiver is very peculiar and sensitive. If your installer used a module that is pre-programmed, and you DID NOT have to give up a key, then this may not be the problem.

Solution: Have your installer re-seat the antenna for the transponder bypass antenna, OR switch to a more reliable module that'll use a binary code to start the car, not the Key-in-a-box method.
i do have an automatic. i will try holding down the auto start button and then try again and see if that works. currently when it does not crank it does not automatically try again so i guess it was not installed with tach mode. as far as your key question....i gave him the key when he installed it but he gave it back.

it definitely does worse on the cold mornings....and it does not seem like the crank time is long enough. well for as much as i paid i guess i will run it back to the installer and let them i figure it out.

ive had my TL for 2 years and i am just finding this board. i love it and think its really cool that people take the time to help other less mechanically inclined people such as myself out.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

3 quick questions....

1) my when i pop the trunk with my remote start by holding down the aux button for a couple seconds....my doors unlock. can this be changed to only pop the trunk?

2) where is the remote start located.....under the steering column? or since the antenna is coming out of the dome lighting panel is it in there? i ask cause i would like to change some of the program features since the installer didn't bother to ask me what i might prefer.

3) after the auto start install my doors lock/unlock when i put the car in gear and park. how do i get them to quit doing this......i already tried the menu settings.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Safety Car

1) No, the TL OEM alarm system must be defeated before popping the trunk or the factory alarm will be enabled (honking/lights flashing) .. I have the same setup on my Compustar remote start.

2) usually under the steering column (lower dash) unless your installer performed a stealth install and possibly could have mounted the brain just about anywhere, often they'll put it under the glovebox. Where the antenna comes out has nothing to do with the location of the brain .. antenna is a very long 6 foot cable... programming features are all done with the keyfob (Viper) and by getting into the setup mode with a series of ignition on-off sequences -- you'll have to refer to the install manual of the Viper module (www.the12volt.com --> and you can download installation manuals from here).

3) Your installer did not disable the ignition-triggered autolock/unlock via the Viper .. therefore using the TL menu is useless because the viper is overriding that and performing ignition locking and ignition-off unlocking regardless of what the TL MID menu is set to. You'll have to enter the main menu viper programming (as described above) to disable this feature.

Post the model of your viper and maybe I can help you further .. too many models to guess what instructions to give you
Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Cold morning starting problems sounds a lot like voltage sensing....

Time for your installer to run a tach wire to the ignition coil.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

my Viper is model 130xv.

well if i am going to have to take it back to the installer to use tach mode then i might as well let him change the features to the way i want them.....although i do not like being this ignorant about my car so i still might try to locate the brain and see if i can figure out how to change some of the features. ive already decided to spend the day messing with my car (hardwiring my radar, installing leds, etc. - can you tell ive become addicted to this site).

i appreciate your advice and if i have any trouble locating everything or figure out the programming i will let you know.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

locating the brain won't let you do ANYTHING for changing features... so i'm not sure why you wanna find it.

You can adjust your features with your keyfob and the turn ignition-on-off sequences...

go to www.the12volt.com ... sign up as new user, then you'll be allowed to search the "downloads" section for your DEI Viper 130 install guide... and you'll have your instructions there.