HELP: CarPC producing horizontal flicker lines on stock TL screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP: CarPC producing horizontal flicker lines on stock TL screen

Hi, I desperately need the help from the Acurazine forums.

I have a CarPC installed in my 2006 Acura TL. The video output from the PC is currently a S-video output, connected to an S-video to composite video cable, which is connected to a TV&Nav switch module. The output from that module is connected to the TL's stock screen. This configuration has so far produced the best results, as I've tried the following configuration; PC output VGA, connected to a scan converter (AverMedia iMicro), which is then connected to the TV&Nav module via composite or S-video output.

The problem:
The output on my Navigation screen is showing horizontal lines. I've recorded a little video with my cell phone to give you an idea of what lines I'm talking about.

Video: HERE

These lines are constant and very annoying. I need to keep the stock TL navigation screen because I don't want to lose the navigation system capabilities, that's why the video has to go through the TV&Nav module. It acts as a video relay between the PC and Navigation System to the stock screen.

My theory is that this has something to do with the refresh rate at which the PC is outputting the video signal. The problem is that the PC has an Intel 945GM graphics processor, which isn't very flexible regarding refresh rates and resolutions.

Here are just some of the things I've already tried:
- Adjusting various resolutions. For best results so far I use either 720x400 resolutions or 800x600. Neither of which are perfect, but closest I could get to what I need.
- Adjusting refresh rate (only options are 50Hz or 60Hz)
- Tried using PowerStrip software to create a custom resolution and refresh rate, however, PowerStrip doesn't provide good support for Intel based graphics cards and doesn't allow me to modify the refresh rate or create a custom resolution.
- Tried connecting the video signal from the PC to a standard home tube TV. Video does not flicker or produce lines.
- Tried connecting a car DVD player to the TV&Nav module instead of the CarPC and video quality is excellent.

I've tried many options and am still looking into it but I'd like to know if anyone else has any good suggestions.

Here are some things I have recently come up with but haven't tried yet:
- Connect a laptop with an Nvidia graphics card to the TV&Nav module via S-video cable and S-video-to-composition adapter.
- Try installing Intel's Embedded Graphics Drivers to see if I can get some more flexibilty from the Intel 945GM graphics processor.
- Acquire an Nvidia desktop graphics card and insert it into the CarPC, then try using PowerStrip to create a custom resolution and refresh rate.

I really hope there's some car video expert or a computer guru out there that can provide me with some guidance or advice. Please let me know if I forgot to mention something. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
check your ground wires, this is a proble when the grounds are not properly in place for dom's unit. Otherwise you can go the route of video card or scan converter.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

I'll be digging into the trunk this weekend hopefully and I'll check to make sure the ground is properly connected. If there a particular part of the trunk you think is best for grounding to avoid interference?

Just wondering, if it has something to do with ground, wouldn't the DVD player I connected to it also produce lines, since the wiring was the same?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

I've just noticed a similar problem with my 05 TL Navi... I've got horizontal flicker lines, just started a couple of hours ago. The big difference is I have no mods, CarPCs attached, nothing, and I haven't done a thing to the car.

A couple of weeks ago, the dealer replaced the passenger side mirror on warranty as it was skipping/grinding when moving down when the car is in reverse -- but I don't think that should be a problem... Plus I just noticed it today.

It's not obvious if glancing at the screen, but if you look at it the nav screen for 2-3 seconds you'll see horizontal flicker lines, they almost look random, not scrolling up/down as in the video link from the original poster. This happens if the car is moving or stationary.

Is it possible a ground has come loose somewhere? Any other ideas??

I was going to start a thread on this but found this one on the search -- thought I'd post here as it's relatively new, I'll wait a week and if it's still there I'll consider calling the dealer and maybe posting a new thread. I hope it either just goes away, or is simple -- the thought of having the dash pulled apart scares me, could easily lead to more probs, if not squeaks and rattles -- hope to sell it in a year or so.

Any and all ideas appreciated!

Thx, Sean
Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

The tech may have just knocked a wire loose the leads to the nav or may have hit a grounding point for the car during the mirror installation. I would take it to the dealer and have them mess with it.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Thx for the feedback csmeance, think you may be right... I just took it back on the road in the area, was going to edit the post but cs already replied.

During that drive I noticed more -- a large flicker, more like a horizontal flash, when using the turn signal... happens about 1 in 5 times when I use the turn signal, most notable when I just tap the indicator (like to change lanes) rather than have the indicator click into place, but still happens either way. Has anyone else notice this? It's not something I'd normally be looking for...

Think may back up the mirror idea... any ideas on how hard it will be for the dealer to find the fault, or is it a crap shoot? Those guys at the dealer are gonna start hating to see me roll in.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

small break through

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to find the cause of the horizontal lines. I took the inside of the car apart twice and was not able to isolate the problem because everything appeared to be right and switching around some of the ground connections didn't make any difference. Last night, I was pretty much ready to give up and just learn to tolerate the lines.

I was up until 1:00am last night putting the car back together and reinstalling the Carputer, when I found some old neon glow tubes for the PC in my basement. I decided to install them in the trunk with the PC just so I don't feel completely miserable about not succeeding in fixing the video issues. I installed them, tested ust to make sure they work right and called it a night.

This morning on my way to work, I was watching some videos and I noticed that the horizontal lines were barely noticeable. Only when I stared at the screen for the little bit did I notice faint lines. Furthermore, they seemed to have been moving A LOT faster than before. The faster the lines moved, the less noticeable they were apparently. I didn't change any configurations on the PC itself. The only major difference I could think of was the connection of two cold cathode light sticks I connected. (http://www.xpcgear.com/12greencolca1.html ). I will do a little more run and drive testing to see if the lines get any better or worse but can anyone think of possible reasons why this could have happened?

Also, I want to ground the entire PC, including motherboard (Commell LV-677), does anyone know how to do this? I only grounded the PSU for the computer.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

on the mother board of the PC, attach some wires where it screws into the case and lead the wires out to a good ground. As I said before, it is a grounding issue as electrical intereference is in the way. Also I would try getting some higher quality wire and also electrical tapping everything up, I put a few layers on all wires that had exposed portions and used shielded cabling for my project and it has been perfect.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
The tech may have just knocked a wire loose the leads to the nav or may have hit a grounding point for the car during the mirror installation. I would take it to the dealer and have them mess with it.
I was going to post a new thread, but thought I'd save some explanation by replying to original (see my previous post above, not related to CarPC).

I finally took my TL in to have them at the navi screen issue. Result: They've ordered a new navi screen?!?! They feel this is the solution, citing they couldn't find any ground faults or anything else, and also stated that the Navi is on it's own circuit.

What just occured to me is (and wish it had when I picked up my car today), if it is a faulty Navi screen (have had the car for over 2 years with no issues), why does using the turn signal generate the strongest horizontal flickers? Wouldn't that mean at least a shared circuit somewhere? Or is there some external interference generated? Any ideas??

I realize it's asking a lot, but if any of you think of it when you're in your TL (in particular an 05 TL Navi, but any of them), focus your eyes closely on the Navi and try the signal light and see if you notice any interference or horizontal lines "flicker" on your screen. Preferably do so when not moving and in your driveway or parked so you don't confuse the heck out of other drivers. For me it's at it's worst when I've been driving for an hour or more in rain (and no I can't duplicate it by spraying the car with a hose). Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

So far, that's a passenger side mirror replaced on warranty and looks like it could be a Navi screen as well.

Cheers, Sean
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

hold on a second, these lines you may seeing may be the screen refreshing. It refreshes at 15 hertz rather than the normal 60 or 75 we are used to on a computer monitior. I noticed it too in my TL when it was in night mode with the background being black. I think this may be normal, like looking at a CRT monitior with a video camera.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by GIVER
....This morning on my way to work, I was watching some videos....
Brilliant! Just who I want on the road during rush hour traffic...
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
hold on a second, these lines you may seeing may be the screen refreshing. It refreshes at 15 hertz rather than the normal 60 or 75 we are used to on a computer monitior. I noticed it too in my TL when it was in night mode with the background being black. I think this may be normal, like looking at a CRT monitior with a video camera.
Thanks, but unfortunately no, it's not the screen refresh (I know what that looks like), especially when the signal light issue is happens.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't know how relevant this may be. But a few weeks ago the ground on my sub was somehow disconnected. and whenever I went to start the car, the display would flicker like none other. And then after I turned off the car, the display or my alarm would not completely shut off, it was like the display faded but you could still see it. I dont knowwwww