Help with Audio install - extreme noob need extreme help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help with Audio install - extreme noob need extreme help

Okay so the Basslink I is sitting in the mail room (i have no space in my School apartment)

let's just say I want to do this myself, can someone list a set of tools I'd need? please? <basically aside from a flathead and a phillips i have nothing else>

okay aside from that these are a few questions I just could not figure out:

So I know I want to get a 2-channel LOC because it's just to tap into the bass wires.
1) http://www.davidnavone.com/images/pr...NE7V/NE7Va.jpg , http://www.audiooutfitter.com/images...sgtlocprea.jpg , http://www.audiooutfitter.com/images...08-sgtlocx.jpg

I'm going to assume all these "look" the same and that the last two just have the fore wires hidden. So the question is what do I do with the 4 wires?

The wire that I tap I know I use a wire tap, what tool and what're some good tips?

I tried to figure out what gauge wires to get by looking up what gauges meant and th basslink site, but I still couldn't figure it out. Is it okay to use a 4 gauge amp kit for the basslink? or should I use 8 gauge?
1) I read Deathtotoster's amazing thread, but I was still confused
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...2L._AA280_.jpg
okay so I know:
* 18-foot 8-gauge blue power cable
* 4-foot 8-gauge silver ground cable
* 16-foot RCA patch cable (clear jacket, silver conductors, molded black connectors) with turn-on lead
* AFS in-line fuse holder and 60-amp AFS fuse

So Blue is the one I snake to the engine and thru the tiny hole and where do I attach it? to to the top of the battery? or where? and if i have to attach it to the battery, does that mean i need my radio and navi codes handy?

I understand where 1 side of the silver ground cable is going (the bolt in the back of the trunk) above the spare under the trim - but where is the other side of the ground attached to?

I assume the RCA cables are the ones that go from LOC to Basslink:
1) why are they so long? and what do I do with the length? I assume the LOC since it is going to be tapped into the back of the rear deck I wont need a 16 foot RCA cable
2) What is a turn-on lead?

What is a AFS in-line fuse holder and 60-amp AFS fuse? and where do I attach the "add-a-circuit"? and why do I use 2 fuses? (actuallly what are the fuses) and how many AWG "add-a-circuit" or how many AMPs? should I be buying?

Where do you guys put the wired volume control with 16-1/4' cable?

what do I actually do to get the basslink mounted in? (Do i need a power tool?) - since the basslink I is smaller it's SUPPOSED to be able to fit into the left side compartment right?

So if I were to make a list of everything I need: < please let me know if anything is missing or something that could make it easier> and could you guys please tel me how many of each I need?

To remove all the components of the TL, it seems a flathead and phillips is just fine.

then I also need
1) 2 channel LOC (1 QTY)
2) amp wiring kit (probably 8 guage?) (1 QTY)
3) ties for the wires (sold by a pack so 1 pack? lol)
4) add-a-fuse (2 QTY?)
5) wire taps (I see 4 wires on the LOC so 4 wire taps?)
6) basslink I

anything else?

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
EVNS TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCL622
Okay so the Basslink I is sitting in the mail room (i have no space in my School apartment)

let's just say I want to do this myself, can someone list a set of tools I'd need? please? <basically aside from a flathead and a phillips i have nothing else>

So I know I want to get a 2-channel LOC because it's just to tap into the bass wires.
1) http://www.davidnavone.com/images/pr...NE7V/NE7Va.jpg , http://www.audiooutfitter.com/images...sgtlocprea.jpg , http://www.audiooutfitter.com/images...08-sgtlocx.jpg

I'm going to assume all these "look" the same and that the last two just have the fore wires hidden. So the question is what do I do with the 4 wires?

The wire that I tap I know I use a wire tap, what tool and what're some good tips?

I tried to figure out what gauge wires to get by looking up what gauges meant and th basslink site, but I still couldn't figure it out. Is it okay to use a 4 gauge amp kit for the basslink? or should I use 8 gauge?
okay so I know:
* 16-foot RCA patch cable (clear jacket, silver conductors, molded black connectors) with turn-on lead

So Blue is the one I snake to the engine and thru the tiny hole and where do I attach it? to to the top of the battery? or where? and if i have to attach it to the battery, does that mean i need my radio and navi codes handy?

I understand where 1 side of the silver ground cable is going (the bolt in the back of the trunk) above the spare under the trim - but where is the other side of the ground attached to?

1) why are they so long? and what do I do with the length? I assume the LOC since it is going to be tapped into the back of the rear deck I wont need a 16 foot RCA cable

What is a AFS in-line fuse holder and 60-amp AFS fuse? and where do I attach the "add-a-circuit"? and why do I use 2 fuses? (actuallly what are the fuses) and how many AWG "add-a-circuit" or how many AMPs? should I be buying?

what do I actually do to get the basslink mounted in? (Do i need a power tool?) - since the basslink I is smaller it's SUPPOSED to be able to fit into the left side compartment right?

So if I were to make a list of everything I need: < please let me know if anything is missing or something that could make it easier> and could you guys please tel me how many of each I need?

To remove all the components of the TL, it seems a flathead and phillips is just fine.

then I also need
1) 2 channel LOC (1 QTY)
4) add-a-fuse (2 QTY?)
6) basslink I

anything else?

you really need someone who knows what they are doing to come help/show you. maybe a shop will let you watch. if you have almost no tools and almost no experience then it might be for the best this first time.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
JCL622, I wish you luck in your endeavor, but with no disrespect, you are asking questions that anyone who is up to the task already knows.

If you still want to do this yourself, I would suggest you draw out a diagram for yourself so you can follow.... you don't want to blow anything. so be careful. The hardest (time consuming) part is running the wires, the connections are the easy part....

I would recommend going to a pro installer, they will only charge you for labor, and to someone who knows what they are doing this is about two hours of work, so it will run you like 60-80 bux.

Again, good luck. Let us know how it turns out! peace.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 AM

hmm, iono i just felt like this is one of those things i should be able to do myself. Granted I don't know the answers to the questions above, but if you guys could help me out then I'd be in a better position for the install.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 AM

oh yea i also wanted to ask, when you add the cable to the battery since you're only taking the + side off will that reset the navi and radio?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
^yes, and clear your inbox!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

...and 7Davie7 has a lot of info on this install, you might want to try PMing him
Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 AM

inbox cleared Paz, and yea i'll probably pester him soon. GOD This snow sucks huh
Old 02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wire crimper

8 is fine

okay so I know:

Different kits = different color wires. Mine are red=power and black=ground
Yes connects to the red power on battery, yes keep your codes handy

uh......the amp

You'll only need 6 to 9 feet fot the rear deck.
turn-on lead = remote

Its a fuse that is installed in the power cable to control surges. Install about 2 foot from the battery. Just buy one.

Never installed it......didn't think I'd need it. Since you can control bass and subwoffer from the hu

Yes, the pictures of the basslink I in the side are mine and it will fit. You'll need a drill to screw in the 2 screws facing the inside of the trunk to hold it in still.

then I also need
1) 2 channel LOC (1 QTY)
4) add-a-fuse (2 QTY?) 1
6) basslink I
7) Cordless drill

anything else?

Good luck

Honestly with the questions you asked, I'd pay someone to do this for you.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

GOD This snow sucks huh
tell me about it...i got stuck in my subdivision this morning and spent 45 mins trying to dig my TL out of the snow wearing a suit/tie and dress shoes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I will try to answer some of your questions but I strongly suggest you find someone to help you. I admire you trying to figure it out. We all started out this way. Both frustrating and rewarding once it's done. If you are local Socal you can pm me.

let's just say I want to do this myself, can someone list a set of tools I'd need? please?

An electric drill
A set of allen wrenches (metric)
Wire cutters
Electrician tape

So I know I want to get a 2-channel LOC because it's just to tap into the bass wires. So the question is what do I do with the 4 wires?

I use the navone LOC. This is a 2 channel. Use one set of the wires + and -. Disconnect you sub from the wire. Tap into you sub wires + and -. Go to a radio shack they should point you in the right direction for which tap to use. The other side of the LOC is the RCA. This is for an RCA wire going to you new amp/sub.

Answered above

Use 4 gauge - play it safe

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...R2L._AA280_.jpg
okay so I know:

Yes, get this stuff. But only the length you think you will need

The blue gets connected to the + side of the battery. Yes get your radio/navi codes just in case

The blue gets connected to + side of your amp/sub
The silver gets connected to the- side of you amp/sub
The remote gets connect to the remote on switch on your amp sub

Answered above, get as much length as you think you will need

This is a signal from you car's electrical system that tells the amp sub to turn on. Do a search to find a good circuit to get this from

Install 2 fuses. One near the battery. One near the amp/sub

I don't have one so I don't know where you would put it.

Answered above.

then I also need
1) 2 channel LOC (1 QTY)
4) add-a-fuse (2 QTY?)
6) basslink I

anything else?

Yes

Again, I strongly suggest you find a friend who has some experience doing these things. I cannot take responsibility if you damage yourself or your car
Old 02-02-2008, 02:15 AM

haha alright guys i get the point, I probably should get a pro to do this.

though in general, thanks to your replies I feel fairly more "knowledgeable" about this whole tapping/install - though I'd never want to use my car as the first guinea pig LOL

again guys thanks a lot for the info, I think after all this i'm gonna make a long post with pictures and all your contributions and get one up specifically for the Basslink.

though there is one more thing i'm curious about. I'm from NY, the only two places that have the nav codes are the ones somewhere in my house in NY and the dealership in NY. I'm currently in MO, when I asked if they needed my NAV codes, they said there's a way around it. Does anyone know how? cuz i basically "lost" my nav and radio codes somewhere in the house and if i call the dealership I doubt they could actually provide the codes over the phone granted there's no way for them to actually tell if i am who i say i am.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah,

it was mentioned in another thread, but hold down the Map, Menu, and Cancel button at the same time...for like 5 secs, and you will get like a diagnostic screen. from there i think u can get your code.

if u were like me, and didn't write it down until the battery died, u have to take out the headunit, get the Serial Number, go to an Acura dealership, and then they will give you the code. basically, a nightmare.

hope this helps
Old 02-07-2008, 07:02 AM

i know about the map menu cancel aka out TL's ctrl alt del function but i cant find the codes in the nav that way T.T either I'm extremely dense or they dont show up? iono

ugh looks like i'll have to goto an acura dealership anyway
Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Pain
I will try to answer some of your questions but I strongly suggest you find someone to help you. I admire you trying to figure it out. We all started out this way. Both frustrating and rewarding once it's done. If you are local Socal you can pm me.

let's just say I want to do this myself, can someone list a set of tools I'd need? please?

An electric drill
A set of allen wrenches (metric)
Wire cutters
Electrician tape

So I know I want to get a 2-channel LOC because it's just to tap into the bass wires. So the question is what do I do with the 4 wires?

I use the navone LOC. This is a 2 channel. Use one set of the wires + and -. Disconnect you sub from the wire. Tap into you sub wires + and -. Go to a radio shack they should point you in the right direction for which tap to use. The other side of the LOC is the RCA. This is for an RCA wire going to you new amp/sub.

You can use a 4 channel LOC, just only going to use one set. The plus and minus of one channel, the other wires can be cut off, or just taped off. Then you will use the RCA cables of the one channel that you used to tap into the sub to connect to your RCA interconnect Cables.

Answered above

Wire Stripper/Utility knife. Electrical tape.

Use 4 gauge - play it safe

The Basslink I does not accept 4 gauge I believe, so just use 8 gauge, plus itll be easier to run ( I have run I/O gauge before and its a bitch cuz the wires dont bend as much to make any tight turns.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...R2L._AA280_.jpg
okay so I know:

Yes, get this stuff. But only the length you think you will need

Basically this is what you need. 12ft 8 gauge power cable (cut off the extra). 4 ft 8 gauge ground cable (If you want use the extra power cable that you cut off, color doesnt matter).

4 ft RCA Interconnect/patch cable.

12ft Turn On Lead, You will connect that to your fusebox and the amp.

The fuse as listed will work fine. I would recommend you just purchase a kit like the following http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tsuna...oductDetail.do

The blue gets connected to the + side of the battery. Yes get your radio/navi codes just in case

You will need both the radio and navi codes If you bought the car new, it should be in your owners manual packet.

The blue gets connected to + side of your amp/sub
The silver gets connected to the- side of you amp/sub
The remote gets connect to the remote on switch on your amp sub

YUP

Answered above, get as much length as you think you will need

The kits are designed for you to run your Interconnect cable from the head unit to the back. Thats why their that long, Get a 4 ft interconnect/rca cable

This is a signal from you car's electrical system that tells the amp sub to turn on. Do a search to find a good circuit to get this from

It will get tapped into your fuse box to any fuse that is turned on when your key is in the ACC position. and connected to the amp, so that the amp knows when to turn on.

Install 2 fuses. One near the battery. One near the amp/sub

Running an 8 gauge you only need one by the battery within 18 inches of the battery, then your amp should have a built in fuse. The fuse by the battery should be a higher amperage fuse than your amp fuse. 60amp is more than enough. (I'm running 100amp fuse for a 500 watt amp).

I don't have one so I don't know where you would put it.

If you tap your LOC into the sub then you don't need it as you can control volume through the head unit.

Answered above.

Since it is lightweight, You can just use some heavy duty velcro tape to keep it from moving around, no need to mount it to the body or frame of the vehicle.

then I also need
1) 2 channel LOC (1 QTY)
4) add-a-fuse (2 QTY?)
6) basslink I

anything else?

Yes

What kind of taps you planning on using? If you don't want to purchase them electrical tape will work. There will be some additional resistance at the connection point, but nothing too extreme as your not doing a HIGH END system.

Add-a-fuse you only need 1.

Zip Ties one package of small/medium is more than enough as I only used about 3 ties.

Again, I strongly suggest you find a friend who has some experience doing these things. I cannot take responsibility if you damage yourself or your car

You can do it, don't pay anyone to have it done. If you want PM me and I can help you out some more.

Daniel

Sorry I had to correct a FEW things... You gave GREAT info, but thought I would help a little bit more.