Having bass problems using RF 3Sixty.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having bass problems using RF 3Sixty.2

Hey folks,
I've posted elsewhere previously with little response, so I'm hoping a new thread will generate some interest. I installed a monster setup that should have monster sound. The interior speakers sound great, but the sub is wayyyyy under-performing and I can't figure it out for the life of me. The installers have re-checked the wiring and so have I and everything looks right.

Here's my setup: I'm taking the high-level (speaker) signal from the stock amp into the 3Sixty.2, then from there into two Alpine amps (MRD-M605 mono and MRV-F545 4-way). My speakers are ADS 346cs (125W) up front and Polk Momo MMC-650 (80W) in the rear deck, with an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 sub in a 0.65 cu.ft sealed enclosure (Type 1).

They used T-taps to take the stock amp signal the the 3Sixty, in order to not cut the stock wires. They did this for all the speakers except for the front ones, cause there was no way to get speaker wire into the door without drilling into the car.

So like I said, the interior speakers sound awesome, but no matter what adjustments I make, the bass sounds real boomy and muddy, it has no power. When I turn it up it just shakes a lot but doesn't sound tight. I wonder if I shouldn't cut the remainder of the sub speaker wire after where the signal is tapped, but I don't see how that could make a difference.

HEEEEEELLLPP!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my 3sixty.2 installed on Friday along with a similar set up as yours, unfortunately i dont know how they installed it..it sounds amazing though! do you know if the installer messed around with the EQ on the 3sixty? have you checked your amp settings? (crossover) as you can tell i'm not the best person to troubleshoot these things but i did have acouple questions about the 3sixty and i posted them on http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/forum/ under processors and they seem to be very knowledeable about this product. I dont know if this is one of the places u already posted but thought id throw it out there. they trully know there sh*t.
Good luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
just an idea, did the guys make sure that that was the proper box size for that sub? Also check the settings on the 360, the HU and also check to make sure that the wires are properly tapped into the sub wires.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Key question also... did your installer do a "NEW SETUP" or an "OEM INTEGRATION" to the 3sixty after everything was installed via a bluetooth device??????????

Did he also set the gains on the AMPS after he totally installed the 3sixty??? if so, did he do it by EAR or with a Digital Multimeter (DMM)???

I also agree with csmeance... is that box a right fit to you sub???
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 AM
2004 TL

Wow, lots of questions, great response, guys. Yeah, the sub box is exactly per manufacturer specs, as described earlier. The settings I've totally tweaked the heck out of, tried everything. I'm pretty familiar with EQ settings since I used to have a Pioneer DEQ 9200 which was great (I miss that thing, can't install it in this car). These Alpine amps have a digital readout, so you can set the gain almost exactly to the voltage of the input, which in this case is 5V. The installers didn't do any adjustments because they're an Alpine dealer and the 3Sixty is Rockford Fosgate, plus they would have needed a Palm Bluetooth device to make the adjustments. As for New Setup & OEM Integration, I ran both (in that order), which is what RF said I should do when I asked them on their tech support (they have awesome tech support, by the way).

One thing that I did find interesting, though, is that Alpine tech support told me just yesterday that because I have only a single sub output from the 3Sixty to the sub (no left/right), I should be using the Left (Ch 1) input on the sub amp. My installers had put a splitter on the 3Sixty sub output and fed it into both left and right on the amp. They TS rep me it could produce a lot of flutter that way, which is what it's been doing. When I removed one side, it did seem to help. I sure wish one of you guys was in the DC area; I would like to be able to listen to someone's else Acura TL with a 3Sixty.2.

So let me ask you guys another question: Do you find that if you have the volume up high and the bass at a good level, then when you bring the master volume down, does the bass get disproportionately loud? It seems to me like the head unit kicks out different levels of bass compared to the music at volume levels.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
2004 TL

rodneyc77: A few questions about your 3Sixty setup -- did you connect before or after the stock amp? Would you happen to know the color codes for the wires you connected to the 3Sixty? How does your sub perform?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
2004 TL

Originally Posted by TL1120
I just got my 3sixty.2 installed on Friday...
TL1120: If you could ask your installers exactly how they hooked up your 3Sixty.2 that would be a great help. The rest of my system sounds great and I'm dying to fix this problem....