HandsFree on '04 TL won't work when call initiated from iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HandsFree on '04 TL won't work when call initiated from iPhone

On my '04 TL w/ Navi, I have no problem pairing my iPhone with the car. However, if I initiate a call from the iPhone, the HandsFree doesn't work. It will say that its on HandsFree but won't ring over the car's audio. Then as soon as somebody answers on the other end, it switches immediately to iPhone or Speaker. If I switch back to HandsFree it works, but it's really annoying and there is an awkward pause for the caller on the other line. Calls initiated from the HandsFree (via the stored phonebook) work fine (ie they ring over the audio and stay on HandsFree throughout every part of the call), but again anything initiated from the phone doesn't work until it switches off upon answering and then I manually switch it back.

After digging around the forum, I've seen a few other posts where people mention the problem, but couldn't find a dedicated thread to this specific issue. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I've tried re-pairing my phone and restarting it, neither of which has helped.

Anyways, it's driving me crazy haha so thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that it's designed that way. I have the same issue when I make a call from my Blackberry. Once they pick up I have to push the talk button on the steering wheel and say "transfer" to get it on the HandsFree.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:42 PM
8th Gear

I guess if you're having the same issues with a different phone you're probably right. It seems it was designed so that calls initiated from the phone have to be manually transferred to the HandsFree. Bummer. Although the stored contact feature on the car is nice, its still much quicker to pull up a number and dial it on my phone (or use phone's voice control) so I was really hoping this was a glitch or something that could be fixed. Oh well ... thanks for your input.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
when i try to use the bluetooth through my phone rather than voice commands it clearly tells me it cannot be done through the phone.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by VQPower37
when i try to use the bluetooth through my phone rather than voice commands it clearly tells me it cannot be done through the phone.
Do you mean that when your phone is paired and you try to initiate a call from the phone it doesn't allow it?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
I have this same issue with my bb bold, apparently it seems like that this is the way the system was designed. Not quite a fan of it to say the least, seems like more of a hassle dialing through the HFL than just picking up the phone itself.

I have been in other vehicles with similar systems and as soon as you press send on the phone to dial a call it switches right to the hands free....
Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not being a bluetooth expert, I believe the problem is likely an issue with the bluetooth stack (ie. software driver) used on newer phones. My guess is new Iphones and blackberry smartphones use a stack that is compatible with Windows 7 by default (had this issue when trying to get an older bluetooth mouse to work with my new win 7 netbook) . I am told Windows Vista/7 implements a different strategy for BT. Do not know about Apple OSx.

Older (04-06) HFL firmware likley has a bluetooth stack that is more compatible with older phones. Unfortunately, I am told old HFL firmware cannot be updated by the dealer. Acura has no provisions for sending your old unit back to the factory for updates.

Acura has a HFL group that may be able to help (see the corporate website). Mostly they tell you which phones are compatible-but you can email them questions. My guess is they will tell you to ask the phone maker for updates.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Invex09
Do you mean that when your phone is paired and you try to initiate a call from the phone it doesn't allow it?
What happens is - if you initiate a call from the Iphone (3G in my case), it won't transfer to the HFL until the person on the other side picks up the phone. Only then can you transfer the call.

This means that:
1. You have to watch the phone (read:not the road) until the call is answered.
2. Transfer the call once you see it has been picked up, causing an awkward delay for the person on the other line.

The odd thing about this behavior is that when you first initiate the call, the phone shows the sound output as going to the HFL, yet the HFL behaves as if there isn't any call. At this point the phone rings, but you cannot hear it through either device. Once the call is picked up, the phone (for some odd reason, this is the culprit) moves the call to the phone and NOT the HFL, forcing you to have to manually switch it back.

I have the same exact problem, and it drives me bananas. If anyone finds a solution please do share.