Goal: Competition Ready Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Is there a website where I can get a crash course on tuning? Time to educate myself, I can't stand not knowing about this stuff.
I could be wrong and I have been before and I am not afraid to admit it.

but as to best of my knowledge which is very little... this is the best site

http://www.bcae1.com/

now this is not just on tuning but the whole 12volt in general.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

very cool info fade.... def helps people out
Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by fade2blk
couple of grand? you mean just for wires..... ok I gotcha....

IASCA prepped system cost over... never mind I will let you find out instead...

you never answered on those links that I sent you in PM...

when I was into this... it could easily reach in to 10's grand.... ask Mike how many times he rebuild his car? to my understanding this is like 3rd or 4th time. it does get pricey.

I will say this much when everything is installed properly... not just thrown in and the installer states it is installed.

then it would be very easily changed from sq to spl in matter of a few changes sorta speak.... granted the spl requires more equipment.

as for CSW's install, he is still working on it, and I will give him credit. his car can easily be turned into SQ.....

hope all this makes some sense....
Sorry I forgot to thank you for those links. That brought back some old memories. I love how the old stuff looks before image was so important. That setup was really neat, two 15s for sub bass and 2-12s for midbass!!?? and on top of that, horns to cover everything higher than the midbass would cover. I wonder how competitive that car would be in today's scene...

I know how easy this stuff can add up. I have no plans to change anything to do with the subs out, I'm very happy with the bandpass box for both SQ and SPL. I literally cut my gains to half of what they were in order to not drown out the mids on top of that I have very tight and punchy bass that can keep up with rock and be heard around the block with rap if I choose to. I had mine turned up with the doors open the other day and walked away for a second. When I was returning to my car I noticed that it sounded much different than most cars you can hear off in the distance, the bass was actually detailed.

I figured in a couple grand for just the mids and highs and maybe another amp. I really want to try an 8" mid in the doors (if that's even possible) and try a 3-way setup for the first time.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sorry I forgot to thank you for those links. That brought back some old memories. I love how the old stuff looks before image was so important. That setup was really neat, two 15s for sub bass and 2-12s for midbass!!?? and on top of that, horns to cover everything higher than the midbass would cover. I wonder how competitive that car would be in today's scene...

I know how easy this stuff can add up. I have no plans to change anything to do with the subs out, I'm very happy with the bandpass box for both SQ and SPL. I literally cut my gains to half of what they were in order to not drown out the mids on top of that I have very tight and punchy bass that can keep up with rock and be heard around the block with rap if I choose to. I had mine turned up with the doors open the other day and walked away for a second. When I was returning to my car I noticed that it sounded much different than most cars you can hear off in the distance, the bass was actually detailed.

I figured in a couple grand for just the mids and highs and maybe another amp. I really want to try an 8" mid in the doors (if that's even possible) and try a 3-way setup for the first time.
in my opinion that car would take top honors even by today standards...

it is not the quantity of bass.... it's how it blends in with the rest of drivers.

in a sq setup crossovers and eq play a huge roll.
the idea is to make you think that you are hearing a instrument playing versus a driver playing bass. and to fool you in thinking that is all comming from the front of you. instead of shaking your head off behind you.

this is where a tunner steps in. and does his magic.

each one got their own methods, but if they are good the results would be the same.

they start usually in higher frequecy, and they are looking for that sweet magic spot of a symbol.

then they move octave lower. and will continue till they get to the organ "sub region".

and after the car is "tunned" the illussion is to fool you (sorta speak) to make you think that every driver that you hear is comming from the front, and just slightly above you. Just like if you would go to a concert and look at the stage...
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicoOG
Are you going to Marv's in June?
Not sure, it depends on the date. Last year it was the same day as my son's 1st birthday - even though he enjoyed the meet we had that day a couple months before that, he enjoyed chocolate cake even more! Is there a date set for Marv's?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ron_c1
Not sure, it depends on the date. Last year it was the same day as my son's 1st birthday - even though he enjoyed the meet we had that day a couple months before that, he enjoyed chocolate cake even more! Is there a date set for Marv's?
June 27th BBQ, June 28th Iasca Competition
Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fade2blk
couple of grand? you mean just for wires..... ok I gotcha....

IASCA prepped system cost over... never mind I will let you find out instead...

you never answered on those links that I sent you in PM...

when I was into this... it could easily reach in to 10's grand.... ask Mike how many times he rebuild his car? to my understanding this is like 3rd or 4th time. it does get pricey.

I will say this much when everything is installed properly... not just thrown in and the installer states it is installed.

then it would be very easily changed from sq to spl in matter of a few changes sorta speak.... granted the spl requires more equipment.

as for CSW's install, he is still working on it, and I will give him credit. his car can easily be turned into SQ.....

hope all this makes some sense....
lol...i'm gonna get off my behind here shortly and finish up my car...maybe..hahaha...i've just been crazy busy for the past couple of months and what not....but hey...if it were easy...wouldn't everyone do it...

SQ is cool...but if you listen to a true SQ car in Iasca comp mode...they actually sound really really....BLAH

SPL is cool...but if you listen to a true SPL vehicle...oh wait you can't...it just pumps air at a desired freq...

both of them are fun as hell to build...however...they both seriously suck for everyday listening...

quick questions to Bing and Chico..

why did you guys decide to run those particular midrange in the kicks...
why not run a closed back mid such as the DLS?
or make those enclosures small and run AP vents instead?

-Jason

Last edited by CSWBiggs; 05-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
lol...i'm gonna get off my behind here shortly and finish up my car...maybe..hahaha...i've just been crazy busy for the past couple of months and what not....but hey...if it were easy...wouldn't everyone do it...

SQ is cool...but if you listen to a true SQ car in Iasca comp mode...they actually sound really really....BLAH

SPL is cool...but if you listen to a true SPL vehicle...oh wait you can't...it just pumps air at a desired freq...

both of them are fun as hell to build...however...they both seriously suck for everyday listening...

quick questions to Bing and Chico..

why did you guys decide to run those particular midrange in the kicks...
why not run a closed back mid such as the DLS?
or make those enclosures small and run AP vents instead?

-Jason

Jason...finish your car man!! You have over two months until the meet, no excuses
Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Intermediate

June 27th BBQ, June 28th Iasca Competition
won't be able to make it again this year then....that is my son's birthday and will have family from out of town down for his party...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jason...finish your car man!! You have over two months until the meet, no excuses
He won't finish it.

I'll finish mine (for the fourth time) long before he finishes his
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by King of Pain
He won't finish it.

Well, it takes all kinds in the world...some people like talking about stuff, others just make it happen

KP, have you figured out if you can make the All Cali meet? I'm suppose to put together the "live car audio demo" part of the meet. I have no clue what it is going to look like yet. Bing may show and I have a few others to personally invite...hope you can make it.

Jason, hope you can make it as well...then we can raze each other in person

O.K., back to cleaning the garage
Old 05-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by King of Pain
He won't finish it.

hahaha...i'll finish it...it just sux doin this stuff after a long day of doin it for someone else...ya know?

-Jason
Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM
9th Gear

Chico,

Just installed midrange and bass amp and have no midrange sound at all. Installed a harness kit to the oem harness from the stock radio. Ran speaker wire for the midrange from the harness kit to the amp. Does the 01 CL have a factory amp? If so I am feeding from the new to the old amp!! You seem to be very knowledgable about this stuff. What options do I have?? Go directly to the speakers?? Locate the stock amp (if applicable) and butt connect the wires or something?? Losin my mind here!! Just purchased this car last Saturday, installed the new deck on Thursday, installed amps todays. Bass works, no midrange or highs!! Please respond ASAP!! You the man!!

Thanks!! SteveGunit
Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveGunit
Chico,

Just installed midrange and bass amp and have no midrange sound at all. Installed a harness kit to the oem harness from the stock radio. Ran speaker wire for the midrange from the harness kit to the amp. Does the 01 CL have a factory amp? If so I am feeding from the new to the old amp!! You seem to be very knowledgable about this stuff. What options do I have?? Go directly to the speakers?? Locate the stock amp (if applicable) and butt connect the wires or something?? Losin my mind here!! Just purchased this car last Saturday, installed the new deck on Thursday, installed amps todays. Bass works, no midrange or highs!! Please respond ASAP!! You the man!!

Thanks!! SteveGunit
Hmmm....first mistake, thinking I know something about wiring this stuff up Hopefully Jason, KP, Bing, or one of the other guys will check in and answer your question
Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro

Hmmm....first mistake, thinking I know something about wiring this stuff up Hopefully Jason, KP, Bing, or one of the other guys will check in and answer your question
steve...IIRC...the CL does have an amp in the rt rear of the trunk..so the easiest way would be to take all signals should post OEM amp w/ LOC's...my personal recommendation would be to solder RCA's directly to the low level signal between HU and OEM Amplifier...please verify the presence of the OEM amplifier...

-Jason

also be advised...some of the Honda/Acura Vehicles are passively x-over'd
Old 05-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Mike, System 3 looks great. I have seen systems 1 & 2 in person and hope to see this as well. (before you change it again)

How did the tranny issue go? I see you haven't painted the wheels, so it must not have gone good.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Mike, System 3 looks great. I have seen systems 1 & 2 in person and hope to see this as well. (before you change it again)

How did the tranny issue go? I see you haven't painted the wheels, so it must not have gone good.
Getting new tranny this week....unfortunately, I'm paying for it as well

Are planning on coming to the All Cali Meet?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveGunit
Chico,

Thanks!! SteveGunit
which exact harness did you use? you have also verfied that the amp is indeed turning on and all connections are secure to the speaker? before trying to look at hte harness, whcih if you used the right one and hooked i up correctly, it should be at least able to make sound...check your other connections?

b
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
clean install looks great !
Old 05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Pro

to do kicks or not to do kicks with them?

-Jason
Old 05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

That's a wimpy idea....mount them to the A pillar
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Pro

That's a wimpy idea....mount them to the A pillar
lol...you mount MW172 8" mid-basses in the A-pillars! That is a one gallon can of body filler it's sitting on!

-Jason
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

lol...you mount MW172 8" mid-basses in the A-pillars! That is a one gallon can of body filler it's sitting on!

-Jason
What the hell, 8's in the kicks are extreme...I didn't figure you were serious, so I stretched it to absurd You weren't serious, were you ?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Advanced

can you give it enough air space is the main question. for that dyn to sound good in kicks, you are talking about one majorly large kick or cut metal, removel factory wiring and vent to the outside. or else you end up with so much midbass coloration...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Getting new tranny this week....unfortunately, I'm paying for it as well

Are planning on coming to the All Cali Meet?
Didn't even know about it. Not sure if I'm gonna make that yet, I'll probably decide last minute. Sounds like fun though.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

to do kicks or not to do kicks with them?

-Jason

Cut the floor and weld in some 1/4 steel boxes for them...

A friend of mind did a dodge stratus with 12's done that way many years ago.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Pro

you'd be surprised how well the dyns do in a smallish enclosure...and yep...i'd be building steel enclosures..and relocating the fuse box...might be alot of work..but it would be fun!

-Jason
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Jason is right; the Dyns' will do quite well in a smallish enclosure.

I own a pair of Gallo Reference speakers with the Dyn driver in a 3CF enclosure. It will work quite well; if ported.

Good Luck,

John