Front Door Speaker Depth??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Door Speaker Depth??

Greetings everyone, I am looking at installing a set of CDT- PSS 0626i's in my 08 TLS. According to some sources (like crutchfield) the doors call for a slim mount.

The speakers I am looking at have a 3" depth, will they fit with minimal modifications?

If they dont fit, I can always go with the CDT PSS 626i's, they are only 1.9" deep.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Racer

I have JL Audio's in my fronts, and the basket size was much bigger than the OEM speakers. We had to cut out some of the metal on the door just so it could fit and also had to make a spacer with MDF wood just to get the speaker in. The depth of my JL Audio C5-650s (link) is 2.54"

So it looks like with yours (unless you go with 1.9" deep ones), you will need to do similar modifications. I wish i took pictures to show you

Hope this helps. I'm answering all your ?s today lol
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm running the Image Dynamics CTX65CS which have a 2.75" mounting depth. I used 5/8" MDF rings to mount them and there's nearly an inch of clearance before hitting anything. I did have to cut the plastic inside of the door panel to keep from hitting the surround of the woofers.

I cut the sheetmetal just a little to make the hole round instead of "D" shaped.

I would say if you use the rings to mount them you will be fine. Mine also have a larger than normal magnet yet still clear.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm running the Image Dynamics CTX65CS which have a 2.75" mounting depth. I used 5/8" MDF rings to mount them and there's nearly an inch of clearance before hitting anything. I did have to cut the plastic inside of the door panel to keep from hitting the surround of the woofers.

I cut the sheetmetal just a little to make the hole round instead of "D" shaped.

I would say if you use the rings to mount them you will be fine. Mine also have a larger than normal magnet yet still clear.
pretty much exactly what I did as well. My MDF may of actually been a little thicker though.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Help please?

Hey Man I bought the Image Dynamics ctx65 for my front speakers too. I'm having trouble installing them though. I was wondering if you could help me out with my questions..

1)What did you use to cut the metal on the door?

2)Where did you buy the custom wood rings for it? Where can I order a pair?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vqt1988
Hey Man I bought the Image Dynamics ctx65 for my front speakers too. I'm having trouble installing them though. I was wondering if you could help me out with my questions..

1)What did you use to cut the metal on the door?

2)Where did you buy the custom wood rings for it? Where can I order a pair?

Thanks
I know you can order them but I made my own for free. Any stereo shop would be happy to give you MDF scraps or you can buy a small sheet for literally a few bucks. Basically trace around the speaker and cut it out with a jigsaw. If you don't have a saw and your local shop doesn't have any precut or prefabbed rings, they will likely make you some if you bring the speakers down for $20 or so.

I used sheet metal cutters (glorified scissors) and they went right through the thin sheetmetal. I finished it off with a dremel to make it look nice and get rid of sharp edges. You could accomplish the same with a file. Thinking back, I tried the jigsaw with a metal blade on one door and it worked fine too.

With those speakers and 5/8" MDF you don't have to cut a whole lot, just make it into a circle instead of a "D" and you'll be fine.

Make sure to remove material from the inside of the plastic door panel. I used a razor knife to remove as much as possible. These mids have a lot of excursion for a mid and will hit the door panel badly if you don't remove material from it.

Dynamat isn't a bad idea with these. They will vibrate the doors badly unless you're powering them with the stock amp.

Lastly, I didn't believe in speaker break-in until I got these. At first, midbass was about the same as the Infinities they replaced, slightly better than stock. After a week, they were blowing away the Infinities in midbass.

Let us know how you like them.

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Hey man thanks for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it. I'm new to this audio stuff and I was looking around for speakers and saw that you and another aziner recommended these. I have them installed, but really ashamed of it. Ghettoly installed with 4 long screws lol!. I will take them out and reinstall them properly once I get the tools for it. For now, they're powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch 500.2. They sound pretty good, but I know it's not their full potential. Also need to do some research on how to tune it (Frequencies and adjustments on the crossovers).

I did cut the plastic circle on the door panel also. Now I have some rattling issues I need to fix.

Also, did you place the tweeters in the stock location? What are your settings on the crossovers? Amp? I listen mostly to hip hop, rap, soft, rock, and trance. Trance and techno sounds awesome with the ID ctx65.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

To get them to their full potential I had to buy an eq.

If you feel like trying an experiment, pull the signal for the amp from your rear speakers and it will really brighten the sound up. The stock front outputs seem to have a more dull sound.

You need to seal the doors off from the inside of the car. Not airtight but get the big holes covered. I used silicone around the speaker and rings. Not having it sealed will kill sound quality and cut down on the midbass. Give it a while and you'll see the midbass increase quite a bit. I've been running these things hard and a few times when my subs were out at full range with no crossover and they take any abuse I've thrown at them. The excursion is almost scary for a midrange speaker.

My crossover is at 80hz. Running it off of the front inputs I had to boost it some at 125hz and around 2,500hz. I'm far from an expert, this is my first attempt at eq, but it sounds good on just about every type of music now.

I've noticed that the quality of the recordings is very important now with the better speakers. Good recordings sound extremely good. Country music is usually recorded at a higher quality and sounds amazing. Some rock and hip hop have noticeable distortion in the highs that are present on the CD. You really notice the difference in quality with mp3s.

I read an article on the "volume wars" where the recording studios boost the output of the CD but it compromises sound quality. It plays louder but on an nice system you can hear the difference.