Ever heard of a "Fit-PC"? Could this work in a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever heard of a "Fit-PC"? Could this work in a car?

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/about-fit-pc.html

It's about the size of 4 cd's stacked on top of each other and sells for $285. I do not have any affiliation with these guys, I just saw a link for it in my gmail and thought I would pass it along hoping to get some thoughts about whether it could be used for a carpc.

Description:
fit-PC is a noiseless PC the size of a paperback, yet fit enough to run Windows XP or Linux. fit-PC is designed to fit where a standard PC is too bulky, noisy and power hungry. If you ever wished for a PC to be compact, quiet and green – then fit-PC is the perfect fit for you.

fit-PC draws only 3-5 Watts when running Windows or Linux - consuming as little power as a standard PC does in stand-by. This makes fit-PC ideal as an always-on computer - you can leave fit-PC to work 24/7 without making a dent in your electric bill.

Specs:
Hardware
CPU: AMD Geode LX800 500MHz
Chipset: AMD CS5536
Display: Integrated Geode LX display controller up to 1920x1440
Memory: 256MB DDR 333MHz soldered on-board
Hard disk: 2.5” IDE 40GB
Ports:
2 x RJ45 Ethernet ports 100Mbps
2 x USB 2.0 HiSpeed 480Mbps
RJ11 RS-232 (cable supplied)
VGA DB15
Stereo line-out audio (headphones)
Stereo line-in audio / Mic

Software
General Software Embedded BIOS
Special BIOS features:
Etherboot for boot over LAN
Etherlink for BIOS update over LAN
Linux:
Gentoo – optimized for fit-PC
Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)
Other Linux distributions are tested to work
Windows: XP home / pro

Mechanical and environmental
Splash and dust resistance enclosure
Material: Aluminum
Finish: Black anodize
Width: 116mm
Length: 120mm
Height: 40mm
Weight: 500g
Operating temperature: 0 - 70oC
Power: 5V single supply
Power consumption: 3-5W

Package contents
fit-PC computer (p/n ENC-iGLX-HDD) according to specification
AC adapter - 110/230 to 5.0 volt
AC cable (U.S. plug)
RJ11 to DB9 RS-232 serial cable

Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
That looks brilliant.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

many of us have built full purpose carpcs the size of the pc in your thread, that are much more powerful.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Instructor

That's a good solution for those with the knowledge to do that but I'm sure there are probably as many if not more people without that knowledge and I'm certain I haven't seen a post on here for anyone offering to build and install a car pc for someone. If I missed that then my apologies, it just seemed like a damn good deal at 285 bucks and so tiny.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Punctuation Nazi

That's about the same size as a Mac Mini, and that is a full-fledged computer with some pretty nice specs.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaymurff25
That's a good solution for those with the knowledge to do that but I'm sure there are probably as many if not more people without that knowledge and I'm certain I haven't seen a post on here for anyone offering to build and install a car pc for someone. If I missed that then my apologies, it just seemed like a damn good deal at 285 bucks and so tiny.
Yes that is a good deal if you understand and can live with the compromise of such a PC.

Something like this has low processing power so do not expect to run some of the apps that you may need. Since the all the parts are imbedded, ie, soldered directly on the board upgrading or adding part to make it go faster will be out of the question. As software evolves this PC may not be able to keep up with that evolution. As long as you understand this and can live with it's shortcomings then it may be something for you.

As an alternative I would suggest something like the Aopen miniPC. These mini PCs are modeled after the mini mac. There are some configuration options to make this a rather strong little unit. But again this will have some compromises.

Here's a link.

http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/spec.htm

It just comes down to understanding what you are buying and what compromises you're willing to live with.

BWT There are some technically minded members here that would be willing to build carPCs for those who are not so technically inclined.

For me this is just a hobby.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by jaymurff25
There are several members of this forum, including myself, that have built carPCs in several 3G TLs. All you have to do is ask around

As far as this being a better PC than the carPCs some of us have built, I really don't understand the difference. You'd still have to integrate DC power, audio, video, startup/shutdown controllers,etc with the PC you mentioned above. So in essence, it's not really any different than what we're running, except being much weaker in terms of performance. You can get much more able hardware for $285 and be in a better position in terms of carpc.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just pointing out that there's still going to be a lot of work to be done for those "people without that knowledge". This isn't going to eliminate the labor or install time associated with such a job. And btw, my posts aren't intended to be offensive, but rather informational- based on the hundreds of hours of R&D, and trial and error I have undergone with the carpcs.