DVD vs CD

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:20 AM
Intermediate

DVD vs CD

Hello everyone I'm a new TL owner and wanted to know what is so great about DVD audio disc and regular CD, and where do you find DVD audio and are they really worth the extra money you pay for them cause I know there probably expensive.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:12 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

The DVD-A discs are played in 5.1 surround. Definately cool - but the selection is very limited. I find mine at best buy, and they aren't that much more than regular CD's (maybe $20-25).

Some are a little better mixed than others though. I bought Linkin parks Reanimation DVD, and it's the best one i have. I also have a disturbed DVD and that one seems like they just took the regular CD and recorded it to DVD.

Also - some CD's are listed as enhanced CD's - these appear to be DVD compatible as well. This was the case for some of my NIN Cd's
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I have only 1 DVD-A, Usher's 8701. It is definitely worth it to pay the extra couple $'s for it. The sound is noticeably crisper, and quality is higher, due to the surround-sound format. I wish more labels produced DVD-A's, but it's not a big market.
Old 04-21-2008 | 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

you could burn them yourself. im not sure but i think you can use nero for it.
Old 04-21-2008 | 06:07 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I can't see the point of burning it yourself. If you burn it yourself, you can't magically make it have more sound than regular format, right? So I thought the only benefit to self-burning is the ability to put more songs on on DVD--I think they hold more, even in DVDA format...

Somebody please confirm. I am interested to know if my opinions are close to correct?
Old 04-21-2008 | 07:17 PM
Team Owner

DVD Audio discs are DEFINATELY worth it. Higher sampled music, great separation and total immersion in the sound. Absolutely worth the extra money.

Here are some websites to purchase them:
Acoustic Sounds- http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...ds=g_dvd_audio
5.1 .com- http://www.5point1.com/index2.html
CD Universe- http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....cart=407393744
DTS online- http://www.dtsonline.com/shopping/catalogue/music.php

Recently, I picked up the "Love" surround sound disc. If you like the Beatles, you'll love this disc. There are other great DVD Audio discs available, but get them soon because they're difficult to find. By the way, your sound system was made for these discs. Get some and see what your car's sound system can do !!
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I can't see the point of burning it yourself. If you burn it yourself, you can't magically make it have more sound than regular format, right? So I thought the only benefit to self-burning is the ability to put more songs on on DVD--I think they hold more, even in DVDA format...

Somebody please confirm. I am interested to know if my opinions are close to correct?
special burning programs make that possible. and for those who dont want to waste 20 dollars on each DVD, can just use the songs stored on their computers and save themselves a tremendous amount of money in the long run. im only 19 so i look for the cheapest methods lol.
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:19 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Originally Posted by paliknight
you could burn them yourself. im not sure but i think you can use nero for it.
Nero will not work, I use something call "discWelder CHROME". If you do a search on "dvd Audio" you will get a lot of info.

I could tell you that if I burn DVD-A it sound better than regular CD. AND DVD-A can hold up to 99 songs.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:09 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit
DVD-A can hold up to 99 songs.
Is that in DVDA format?

THANKS OT ALL YOU GUYS for answering my questions here.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:21 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Is that in DVDA format?

THANKS OT ALL YOU GUYS for answering my questions here.

Yes, DVD-A format. using "discWelder CHROME". I think someone in here created a free software. If have any other question let me know...
Old 04-21-2008 | 11:37 PM
Instructor

I bought 8 DVD-A's from Circuit City over the internet, none of the many stores I visited in person had any DVD-A discs that they knew of. At circuit city the DVD-a cost maybe a couple more dollars than a regular CD, not too expensive. The discs I got were:

Reggae Pulse: The Heartbeat of Jamaica / Various/Reggae Pulse: The Heartbeat of Jamaica / Various/Reggae/Popular Music

Supernatural/Santana/Rock/Popular Music

Audio/Blue Man Group/Rock/Popular Music

Stankonia/Outkast/Rap & Hip-Hop/Popular Music

So Much for the Afterglow/Everclear/Rock/Popular Music

Dr Chesky's Magnificent Fabulous Absurd Musical/Chesky,David/Int'l & World Music/Popular Music

Univisible/Medeski Martin & Wood/Jazz/Popular Music

Surrounded/Tipper/Dance Music/Popular Music.

They all sound noticeably better than CD's but the only ones I would recommend (if you like the type of music) is Outkast's Stankonia (listen to it w/ full bass+sub up all the way, tracks 5,14,15 are best IMO) and Santana's supernatural. The Everclear DVD-A sounds good but not fantastic compared to regular CD.

I put them all in my CPU and all of them were 5.1 channels but The Mendeski Martin and Wood and Everclear CD's were only 48 khz while the rest of them were a better 96 khz.

I read good reviews about the Blue man group disc...it wasn't bad but I don't really dig the music type. The reggae disc didn't sound any better than CD...in fact it sounded almost worse. Dr. Chesky's mix is just random sounds...I guess it's ok for testing out system as it's made for 5.1 but I only found a couple tracks worth listening to. The Tipper disc sounded good but again I couldn't really get into the music type (it's like very slow ambient trance music) and couldn't really listen to it much but I could see it sounding pretty trippy if I was on drugs or something.

Also, some guy who recorded for Pink Floyd recently released a DVD-A version of Dark side of the moon for the internet-only (not for sale). I downloaded from usenet it's a couple GB, but that sounded really good actually. Particularly "Money" the guitar parts sounded fantastic. You should try to download if you know anything about newsgroups and burn the .iso image.
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:33 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Blue Man group is not horrible, but it's totally overrated. It's the same song over and over! Again, sounds okay...but I felt like its what they would play at an audio shop to sell me some overpriced bose system.

I want to try some other disks...!