Dvd-a Sound Quality !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007 | 01:52 PM
Pro

Dvd-a Sound Quality !!!!

Soooooo, using DVD-Audio Solo I greated a couple DVD-A's for my 07 TLS and I was plesently surprised with the outcome. Only problem I am having now is trying to figure out why Solo is listing my files at about 10 times their actual size ( at output 44/16 180MB was is taking up 1.3 GB on the DVD)

I still wanted to conduct a test. So using two albums I created a DVD-A with 17 tracks with an output of 96/24 which took up almost the entire 4.4 GB. I created the ISO first then burned the disc and on to the sound test.

I brought my ipod and the DVD-A with the same tracks on them. I played the IPOD through the MP3 jack with and without PLII on and even with the PLII on the sound quality was not as good through the DVD-A. All the mp3's I own have bitrates of at least 192 kbps and sample rates of 44.1 kHz so I thought that the sound quality would be better through the mp3 jack and with PLII I thought there would be no contest.

Now I do not know if the upsampling to 96 kHz played the role in making the sound quality better or not. I was playing psychedelic trance for the test which reguires great sound quality and what I think made the DVD-A sound better was because through the mp3 the sound ESPECIALLY the BASS lines became very muffled where as with the DVD-A the sounds came through CRISP. The bass sounded so much cleanen.

Would love to hear some opinions.
Old 07-21-2008 | 03:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Sorry for the revival, but this thread best describes what I was looking for.

Had a chance yesterday to sample a DVD-A recording in my '07.

It was Fucking AWESOME!! Great quality; MUCH, MUCH better than high bit rate (320 kbs) MP3's.

Not only was the sound quality great, but the sound stage was incredible as well. This is what I heard yesterday:

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

Recently, I picked up the "Love" surround sound disc. If you like the Beatles, you'll love this disc. There are other great DVD Audio discs available, but get them soon because they're difficult to find. By the way, your sound system was made for these discs. Get some and see what your car's sound system can do !!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178783

Gotta run. Gotta read up on purchase/creation of these wonderous disks.
Old 07-21-2008 | 03:32 PM
200,000 mile club

^^ Ha Ha another one hooked onto these DVD-A. Bearcat was over yesterday and I told him to stick the disk into his car and listen. He was blown away. To bad this format seems to be on the shitlist for future disks. They are hard to find. Hands down, DVD-A is the only way to go.
Old 07-21-2008 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I have several CD/DVD-A combos. I really like them. DVDA does sound so much better than MP3
Old 07-21-2008 | 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Guys, the DVD-Audio discs ARE outstanding. It's just hard to find them now. You can download some now on Music Giants and other websites. But I'll tell ya, once you hear a DVD Audio disc, it'll make you never want to listen to anything else !!! I've got about 80 some odd DVD Audio discs at home. It's so nice being able to listen to them in the car AND on my surround sound home system.

Guys, I almost forgot...I have played regular CD's in the TL and even though they are just regular CD's, the sound system in the car is still separating the audio. Not bad....
Old 07-21-2008 | 09:18 PM
Pro

if i burn mp3's on a dvd - would that be come dvd A?
Old 07-21-2008 | 10:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by lenjaiah

Nope. MP3 compression is not lossless and the sound is not 5.1 channel. Best you can do is put 'em on a CD and let eh Dolby do it's 5.1 simulation.

There are some posts and software discussed in this sub-forum where you can convert lossless audio (FLAC, etc) to DVD-A. I don't know how to do it ... yet. I am just searching for DVD-A availability and lossless rips and conversions.
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by lenjaiah

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Nope. MP3 compression is not lossless and the sound is not 5.1 channel. Best you can do is put 'em on a CD and let eh Dolby do it's 5.1 simulation.

There are some posts and software discussed in this sub-forum where you can convert lossless audio (FLAC, etc) to DVD-A. I don't know how to do it ... yet. I am just searching for DVD-A availability and lossless rips and conversions.
I'm a dumb ass - for the 2nd time today.

You CAN convert MP3's to DVD-A either 2 channel or 5.1 multi-channel.

Check Adobeman's threads; particularly GUI for Project Free DVD-A (MP3 --> 2 Channel DVD-A) and The Abobinizer (2 Channel to 5.1 DVD-A):

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=900618
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:23 AM
Racer

I'm a dumb ass - for the 2nd time today.

You CAN convert MP3's to DVD-A either 2 channel or 5.1 multi-channel.

Check Adobeman's threads; particularly GUI for Project Free DVD-A (MP3 --> 2 Channel DVD-A) and The Abobinizer (2 Channel to 5.1 DVD-A):

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=900618
You were mostly right the first time.

Once you have compressed the music into the MP3 format you can then record the expanded data files onto a DVD in the DVD-A format but you will not get the higher 96/24 audio resolution of an original DVD-A. The 5.1 multi-channel that you mention is just what you get from Dolby Pro-Logic IIx or DTS neo6.

I'm pretty sure that I saw in the Owner's Manual that you can play MP3 files from a DVD or CD.
Old 07-22-2008 | 05:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
You were mostly right the first time.

Once you have compressed the music into the MP3 format you can then record the expanded data files onto a DVD in the DVD-A format but you will not get the higher 96/24 audio resolution of an original DVD-A. The 5.1 multi-channel that you mention is just what you get from Dolby Pro-Logic IIx or DTS neo6.

I'm pretty sure that I saw in the Owner's Manual that you can play MP3 files from a DVD or CD.
I have played MP3s burned to a CD with varied results. It will play them sometimes, and not at other times. The manual claims that the unit looks for DRM protection on the files but MP3 should not have DRM as part of the file system anyway.

I made a couple of test CDs, one with files in sub folders, one with all files at the root folder. I could never get the disc with the sub folders to be recognized but it played the one with all files at the root. Then one day, it would not recognize that one anymore. According to the manual, we can scroll through folders on the discs but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe part of my problem is the type of discs I use. I use the Memorex Black CD-Rs. Maybe someone out there can try another brand? I expect there is a way to make it work.

Creating DVD-As with Adobeman's software is a great solution though you'll never have true 5.1 it is still quite good. Every disc I made with that program worked like a charm.
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

I've burned tons of MP3 to CD and never a problem with the car reading it or recognizing an using folders ('07 TL-S, BTW).

I've used Memorex CR-R (Silver face) and Maxell CD-R (Gold Face).

Yeah, I understand about th eloss of resolution and/or sound information, but the question was "Can I burn MP3's to DVD-A?" and the correct answer, I guess, is "Yes, but the sound quality will be less than true DVD-A."
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

What is the advantage (sound-wise) of taking a decent MP3 and converting it to 2-channel DVD-A (Basically what adobeman's first DVD-A project did)?
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:20 AM
Team Owner

What is the advantage (sound-wise) of taking a decent MP3 and converting it to 2-channel DVD-A (Basically what adobeman's first DVD-A project did)?
Buddy, first of all, I'm glad mmade played you some DVD-A's in your car. I'm excited to see that you really liked them.

To address your question, finding a decent MP3 is somewhat of an oxy-moron. MP3 files are compressed about 7 times their normal recorded state. So technically, you're not going to get a great sounding recording based upon an MP3. You'd be better off going to a website like Music Giants and download an album or song in it's original state, not an MP3 download.

Second, they whole idea behind DVD-Audio is the surround sound aspect of the recording. If you want 2 channel sound, you would be better off purchasing the original CD. I've played regular 2 channel CD's in my TL and the system has done a very decent job with separating out the regular CD into a surround sound mix. Give it a try...turn it up and see what happens. I tried the Chris Daughtry CD and the Continuum CD from John Mayer in the car and they really sound good!
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

In my opinion, there is no advantage. You can put far more MP3s on a disc than WAV files. Will the car play MP3s burned to DVD-r? If so, even more files will fit on that.
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:26 AM
Race Director

^ none, it will actually result in poorer quality...

How does mp3 work via LAME?

To make a good compression algorithm for sound, a technique called perceptual noise shaping is used. It is "perceptual" partly because the MP3 format uses characteristics of the human ear to design the compression algorithm. For example:

* There are certain sounds that the human ear cannot hear.
* There are certain sounds that the human ear hears much better than others.
* If there are two sounds playing simultaneously, we hear the louder one but cannot
hear the softer one.

Using facts like these, certain parts of a song can be eliminated without significantly hurting the quality of the song for the listener. Thus, when you are converting mp3 to another 2ch format..you are trying to convert swiss cheese into a solid slice...not gonna happen..

You must use lossless output to preserve quality for DVD-A burning.... But an average Joe wouldn't care. If you listen to classical music, you will definite notice the flat sound...

But for 04-06, burning mp3s to DVD-A allows you to play mp3s file just as 07-08 do on CDs.
Old 07-22-2008 | 11:00 AM
Team Owner

TeknoKing is absolutely right. Lossless output is the key. We are such a convenience oriented society now. We want our music portable-we don't care about quality. That's why iPods are so popular. You can cram a million songs on them and listen them through crappy little earpod headphones....AND YOU'RE HAPPY!

I swear...the convenience factor will ruin our society.
Old 07-22-2008 | 11:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^ none, it will actually result in poorer quality...

How does mp3 work via LAME?

To make a good compression algorithm for sound, a technique called perceptual noise shaping is used. It is "perceptual" partly because the MP3 format uses characteristics of the human ear to design the compression algorithm. For example:

* There are certain sounds that the human ear cannot hear.
* There are certain sounds that the human ear hears much better than others.
* If there are two sounds playing simultaneously, we hear the louder one but cannot
hear the softer one.

Using facts like these, certain parts of a song can be eliminated without significantly hurting the quality of the song for the listener. Thus, when you are converting mp3 to another 2ch format..you are trying to convert swiss cheese into a solid slice...not gonna happen..

You must use lossless output to preserve quality for DVD-A burning.... But an average Joe wouldn't care. If you listen to classical music, you will definite notice the flat sound...

But for 04-06, burning mp3s to DVD-A allows you to play mp3s file just as 07-08 do on CDs.

Cool.

I've had no issues playing store bought CD's or MP3 conversions in the car. For the most part the MP3's sound fine (not great, I know, but good enough for a cruise down the highway).

For the DVD-A I am converting source material to FLAC and then looking to convert to DVD-A using Adobeman's tools/recommendations (Conversion plus The Adobinizer). Hopefully, that will give me a DVD-A that provides a good representation of the original recording, but in simulated 5.1.
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, DVD-As sound great. That's a shame it didn't work.
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

The only DVD-A I'll heard so far is the demo that came with the car. I would love to get ahold or make some.......
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a few real DVD-As and they sound soooo good. Amazon.com sells DVD-As but BestBuy folks had no clue what I was talking about when I asked if they had DVD-Audio
Old 07-22-2008 | 12:55 PM
Race Director

^YES, they too give me the looks like they are on candid camera...and I'm about to yell out Haha, You Got Punked!

Amazon is good, but are there any other places? I would love to see the list of all of the DVD-A available...
Old 07-22-2008 | 01:05 PM
Race Director

I swear...the convenience factor will ruin our society.
I completely agree with you. I wish I could insert a USB Drive filled with WAV/FLAC and play it in the head unit. I think the 4G will have this...

Or we can wait for holographic dvd, with 1.6TB storage space, hehe, we can store anything we want on a one tiny cd.

For now it is all the marketing hype with HD/BlueRay and 1080i content we get on TV (not real HD)...and the iPods/iPhones craze...

Maybe I'm talking out of my butt now, but my old AIWA and other older home stereo systems sound soo much better than the new stuff... new stuff is all about bass, and annoying 3d effect... where is the quality? I'm 100% pro American production, but the moment Made In Japan got subtituted with Made in U.S.A. / China / Korea / Taiwan

It's like some (ok all) girls I know buy cell phones solely based on how they look, they don't care that they drop calls 24/7, or that the software on the phone is horrid...it's all about cool gadget that looks good.
Old 07-22-2008 | 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I grew up with records (LPs) and a turntable. The sound stage we had with 2 speakers properly placed was amazing. It was true analog and was great! Then the digital craze came along and we slowly began to loose the warmth that the artists intended. Something is always lost going from analog to digital and back(D/A-A/D)... and not many seem to care as long as they have background sound to tune out the world.... sigh

/endrant
Old 07-22-2008 | 01:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have a few real DVD-As and they sound soooo good. Amazon.com sells DVD-As but BestBuy folks had no clue what I was talking about when I asked if they had DVD-Audio

You can make 'em. I can's say anything about quality yet, but I suspect it'll be pretty good.

Convert your original to a lossless source (FLAC, WAV, etc). If necessary, convert that to WAV.

Once it's in WAV format, use Adobeman's "The Adobinizer" to simulate convert 2-channel to 5.1.

Then create the ISO file and burn to DVD.

I am working my through "test disc 1" now, so I may have the details wrong and/or may be disappointed with the results, but we'll see.

Here are all the treads you should need:

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=901102
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:03 PM
Team Owner

^YES, they too give me the looks like they are on candid camera...and I'm about to yell out Haha, You Got Punked!

Amazon is good, but are there any other places? I would love to see the list of all of the DVD-A available...

Guys, here is the list of websites I use to purchase DVD Audio discs....

5.1 Discs- http://www.5point1.com/index2.html

Acoustic Sounds- http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...ds=g_dvd_audio

Amazon's site- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_gnr_a...ds=dvd%20audio

Buy.com- http://www.buy.com/retail/videos/sea...d=&dcaid=16009

CD Universe- http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/.../DVD+Audio.htm

DTS- http://store.dts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

I hope this helps everyone !!!
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:36 PM
Race Director

^^ Thank you Steven!
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

You can make 'em. I can's say anything about quality yet, but I suspect it'll be pretty good.

Convert your original to a lossless source (FLAC, WAV, etc). If necessary, convert that to WAV.

Once it's in WAV format, use Adobeman's "The Adobinizer" to simulate convert 2-channel to 5.1.

Then create the ISO file and burn to DVD.

I am working my through "test disc 1" now, so I may have the details wrong and/or may be disappointed with the results, but we'll see.

Here are all the treads you should need:

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=901102
What software do you use to rip from CD to FLAC? My problem is that I have ripped my entire CD library to MP3 @192kbps

I have used Adobeman's program a few times and it works fine.
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:46 PM
Race Director

^ you know FLAC and WAV are identical in terms of quality, right? just rip to WAV, it's much faster
Old 07-22-2008 | 02:50 PM
Race Director

This program is very popular and free for ripping into wav, mp3, flac...

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Old 07-22-2008 | 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^ you know FLAC and WAV are identical in terms of quality, right? just rip to WAV, it's much faster
It makes sense. WAVs are the analog representation and should be about as good as one can get from a CD.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2008 | 03:37 PM
Team Owner

But BestBuy folks had no clue what I was talking about when I asked if they had DVD-Audio

Stew, you are right. Now Best Buy does NOT carry DVD Audio discs anymore. They used to-I used to get alot of mine from them. You cannot find them in retail stores anymore.
Old 07-22-2008 | 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Stew, you are right. Now Best Buy does NOT carry DVD Audio discs anymore. They used to-I used to get alot of mine from them. You cannot find them in retail stores anymore.
I went into BB right after I got my car looking to pick up some DVD-As. I asked one of the floor guys where they kept them and he looked at me strange and asked "What is that?" So, I asked if he has SACDs and again, same answer. I know that these formats never took off (thanks to MP3s!) but they sure sound good.

My new system also plays DVD-As .. WOW!
Old 07-22-2008 | 04:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Best Buy still has a handful available for shipping from their web site. Mostly REM, some Talking Heads.
Old 07-22-2008 | 04:09 PM
Team Owner

I went into BB right after I got my car looking to pick up some DVD-As. I asked one of the floor guys where they kept them and he looked at me strange and asked "What is that?" So, I asked if he has SACDs and again, same answer. I know that these formats never took off (thanks to MP3s!) but they sure sound good.

My new system also plays DVD-As .. WOW!
I had the same experience at Circuit City. They tried to send me to the video games section...Haa !!