DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!

I'm sure many of you have seen one of my previous posts with a PS2 conversion that I did in the glovebox but I decided to change up my setup and go to a standard DVD player. I moved my PS2 back into my house so I could play it on a bigger screen TV

I'm really picky and have really high standards for my installs so I wanted to take it to the one trusted place I always go to make sure it gets done right. My installer is the same one who did my previous PS2 install and once again he did an absolutely AMAZING job!

I didn't think it would be possible but he did the impossible and put the Myron & Davis AD212 DVD player I bought in the top lower compartment below the radio. And not only did he put it in there, he made it look SUPER CLEAN and factory.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves. Check it out!

Here's a close-up of the Myron & Davis AD212 DVD player. To put in the DVD player, he removed the top compartment and filled in the gap between the DVD player and the radio with a faceplate. Even the faceplate looks good cause it curves downward with the rest of the radio.

Here are two more shots from farther away to get another perspective.

And now for the money shots in the dark. Even the blue lights complement the blue lights in the radio!

DVD powering on.

DVD playing.

Everything in full view!

Here's the remote I'm using. It's also super small and easy to store away.

And here's a shot of the rocker switch that I purchased from Radio Shack for $2.99 to switch from Nav to DVD.

Like I keep on saying, my installer is unbelievable and I would highly recommend him to anyone who's thinking about doing this install and want it done right and clean. He's in the Northern Virginia area and is one of the most friendly and honest installers I've ever met. PM me if you want his contact info and I can give you a special referral to take with you for a great install price. I have a really good relationship with him and he treats all those that know me right And don't worry, I'm not making any comission or anything but just trying to spread the love of an awesome installation

Let me know what you all think!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Cant even tell its not stock....thats insane...
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Saved By The Bell! that's ooold school hahah. Really clean install though. Props to your installer.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much did it run you??
Old 05-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Intermediate

This is my first post... (this install was just too good not to comment on...)

This is amazing. I didn't even know you could use the Nav screen for anything but... Nav! If you don't mind, could you share some pricinng info on this?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Pro

The total cost of the installation was around $250-$300. Definitely a small price to pay for an incredible install
Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I can never die.

5.1 Surround Utilized?

Does this utilize the 5.1 setup allowed by the stock audio system? It would be awesome to watch movies and be able to enjoy the everything audio that the TL has to offer. Let me know, thanks!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
The total cost of the installation was around $250-$300. Definitely a small price to pay for an incredible install
Install looks great. That price sounds really reasonable. Is that price just for the new DVD player install or for everything needed in the Navi to DVD conversion?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:54 AM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
hey slimmyjimmy,

that looks great...props to your installer!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Excellent install. What else can be said? Saved By The Bell?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ThePunisher2099
Does this utilize the 5.1 setup allowed by the stock audio system? It would be awesome to watch movies and be able to enjoy the everything audio that the TL has to offer. Let me know, thanks!
I'm using the Aux In input on my USA Spec adapter for the audio of the DVD player. From what I've heard so far, the sound is amazing and it does in fact use the 5.1 surround sound in the car. I may be mistaken on this though but this is just my
Old 05-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pikabb
Install looks great. That price sounds really reasonable. Is that price just for the new DVD player install or for everything needed in the Navi to DVD conversion?
That price was only for my DVD install. I had to pay for the Myron & Davis DVD player separately. I found it online and bargained the price down to $140 shipped to my door. Definitely well worth the price. Other than the DVD player, the only other thing you need is Dom's video conversion unit. After that, you're set to go and all you'll need to do is the install.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
Saved By The Bell! that's ooold school hahah. Really clean install though. Props to your installer.
Originally Posted by VtecMW
Saved By The Bell was crucial! I knew that I would get some comments about that on my Nav screen along with the install hahaha
Old 05-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
Originally Posted by VtecMW
Saved By The Bell was crucial! I knew that I would get some comments about that on my Nav screen along with the install hahaha
Old 05-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Weather Watcher

Thats a pretty sweet install! Looks like it came like that from the factory. Damn.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Instructor

I'm using the Aux In input on my USA Spec adapter for the audio of the DVD player. From what I've heard so far, the sound is amazing and it does in fact use the 5.1 surround sound in the car. I may be mistaken on this though but this is just my

Hate to burst your bubble but what you're hearing is a 2 channel source sent thru your 6 channel system but you're NOT getting 6 separate channels like you would with a true 5.1 source.

Unfortunately, our TL's aux input is only analogue 2 channel not digital 6 channel.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I had been asking around if anyone did this. That is probably the best placement for a dvd player. It's easily accessible and you don't really lose any critical storage space.

The only thing different that I want to do is keep the stock storage door so I could keep it closed for a complete stock appearance. Do you know if the compartment was deep enough to be able to keep the stock door on there? You'd probably just have to cut out the majority of the storage compartment to make it fit.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Instructor

sweet install now just get ur ipod integration up to par with the rest of you system
Old 05-29-2006, 01:08 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

That's a very impressive installation and the price is awesome. The only thing I can think that would make it 0.5% better would be if that trim plate was the same carbon fiber-look that the doors have. That would make it look truly stock.

That location makes more sense than any other I've seen. The glovebox is small enough as it is and it sucks to lose that storage. But I never use those two compartments under the radio, so this is great.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yeah, I gotta say, this is AWESOME!! I think I'm gonna dump the PS2 also and stick the AD212 in there. I found it for $129+shipping on the net. Looks awesome and is so much better than the PS2. I NEVER use it for playing, games, only for movies, and it takes up the whole glovebox...
Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SSM6MTNAVI
Thats a pretty sweet install! Looks like it came like that from the factory. Damn.
Thanks! That's why I did the install. It looks so clean and everyone thinks it looks stock
Old 05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Toronto-TL
Hate to burst your bubble but what you're hearing is a 2 channel source sent thru your 6 channel system but you're NOT getting 6 separate channels like you would with a true 5.1 source.

Unfortunately, our TL's aux input is only analogue 2 channel not digital 6 channel.
Ah....thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not as familiar with our TL audio system as I should be
Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by met152
Thanks for posting this. I had been asking around if anyone did this. That is probably the best placement for a dvd player. It's easily accessible and you don't really lose any critical storage space.

The only thing different that I want to do is keep the stock storage door so I could keep it closed for a complete stock appearance. Do you know if the compartment was deep enough to be able to keep the stock door on there? You'd probably just have to cut out the majority of the storage compartment to make it fit.
Actually, I asked my installer about this too when I got the install done. I wanted to keep the ability to close and open the storage door whenever I wanted to play my DVD player. But I don't think this is possible because the width of the Myron & Davis DVD player is 6.3 inches. The width of the area with the storage compartment in there is 6 inches. If you did a lot of shaving and cutting, you might be able to work out something but I personally didn't want to do that. I have my old storage compartment area sitting around in case I ever want to put it back in there. If I ever do, it would require nothing but a simple swap. Besides, having the DVD player visible makes it look much more like a stock mod
Old 05-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vandido626
sweet install now just get ur ipod integration up to par with the rest of you system
iPod integration? I already have the USA Spec installed already which works great for my iPod though.

Clarify please
Old 05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bluenoise
That's a very impressive installation and the price is awesome. The only thing I can think that would make it 0.5% better would be if that trim plate was the same carbon fiber-look that the doors have. That would make it look truly stock.

That location makes more sense than any other I've seen. The glovebox is small enough as it is and it sucks to lose that storage. But I never use those two compartments under the radio, so this is great.
That's a great idea. I wonder if there's a carbon fiber trim piece out there I could buy and then kinda cut and shape and attach it to the face plate. I'm sure there is although that would definitely cost me a bit more though.

As for the location, I agree. I knew that the option of the glovebox was available as well as the back armrest but I wanted to keep those open. I also didn't feel comfortable putting the DVD player under a seat. Practically, it made the most sense to put the DVD player in the storage compartment below the radio. It's most easily accessible there and it looks the sweetest too. I heard that one issue with putting the DVD player there was that the shifter might get in the way of putting in DVDs but I've honestly had no issues with this at all. So if anyone ever hears of that posing a problem, I can vouch and personally say that it's not
Old 05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by zax123
Yeah, I gotta say, this is AWESOME!! I think I'm gonna dump the PS2 also and stick the AD212 in there. I found it for $129+shipping on the net. Looks awesome and is so much better than the PS2. I NEVER use it for playing, games, only for movies, and it takes up the whole glovebox...
Do it dude! You were the one I talked with earlier about my PS2 install and honestly, I felt like I never ever used the PS2 in the car. The concept of having a PS2 in there sounds really cool and all but practically, you rarely ever play games when you're driving. With this install like you said, you not only have a clean, practical look, you also save space everywhere else in the car. I've thoroughly made great use of my glovebox after I took the PS2 out
Old 05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

jimmy,

I'm really into doing this... I was thinking that maybe you could use the top part of the door from the old compartment instead of the black piece your installer used. Would that not work? I checked and the whole compartment is $60 from acuraparts247.com if you ever want to replace it... I think I'll be cutting up my door.

Other question I have for you is.... Myron & Davis. People I've talked to say it is really bad quality. Is your picture quality good? Have you heard anything about mechanical quality or anything about the AD212? There isn't much information about it on the net. Can't find a user manual or anything even at the Myron & Davis site. Did you choose it because of the size? Most DVD players are 1 DIN. I'm guessing it has to be 3/4 DIN to fit in there? And I guess it isn't very deep?

One last question about the AD212. One day, I might get crazy and take apart the stock head unit to try and tap into the 5.1 channels discretely... I was wondering if the Myron & Davis has an optical or coax digital out...

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

nice install, sweet!!
can you give me the installers information, I have been thinking about audio upgrade, but I couldn't find good installer so...
your intaller looks like know what his doing..
Old 05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

jimmy,

I'm really into doing this... I was thinking that maybe you could use the top part of the door from the old compartment instead of the black piece your installer used. Would that not work? I checked and the whole compartment is $60 from acuraparts247.com if you ever want to replace it... I think I'll be cutting up my door.

Other question I have for you is.... Myron & Davis. People I've talked to say it is really bad quality. Is your picture quality good? Have you heard anything about mechanical quality or anything about the AD212? There isn't much information about it on the net. Can't find a user manual or anything even at the Myron & Davis site. Did you choose it because of the size? Most DVD players are 1 DIN. I'm guessing it has to be 3/4 DIN to fit in there? And I guess it isn't very deep?

One last question about the AD212. One day, I might get crazy and take apart the stock head unit to try and tap into the 5.1 channels discretely... I was wondering if the Myron & Davis has an optical or coax digital out...

According to this, it has a coaxial Dolby Digital output. Also, it's 3/4 DIN and the dimensions are listed on this page (assuming they're accurate).
Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

bluenoise,

Thank you! I looked all over the place for that info. I hope it's accurate.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Pro

jimmy,

I'm not too sure about the top compartment because the piece itself is all attached together in some way. I think that's a big reason why I decided not to use any of the compartment because I knew that keeping some parts of it were going to be super difficult since everything was connected.

So far I haven't noticed anything bad about the picture quality of the Myron & Davis DVD player. The picture's great from what I've seen. I chose the Myron & Davis DVD player because 1) it was the perfect size 2) it looked very clean and not flashy at all 3) the lighting matched with the rest of the interior lighting in my car and 4) my installer said it was one of the best DVD players out there and that he hasn't heard of anyone who's had any serious issues with it. I trust him of course so I took his advice. Also, there's no way for you to fit a 1 DIN DVD player in there because either the width or depth won't be able to fit.

As for the digital out, it does have an output for this from what I know.

Hope this helps
Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by spoon321
nice install, sweet!!
can you give me the installers information, I have been thinking about audio upgrade, but I couldn't find good installer so...
your intaller looks like know what his doing..
Check your PM
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Instructor

iPod integration? I already have the USA Spec installed already which works great for my iPod though.

Clarify please

cleaner look. your system looks great but the ipod to the side looks out of place. you set the bar high with your dvd placement, you should not discriminate against your ipod.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vandido626
cleaner look. your system looks great but the ipod to the side looks out of place. you set the bar high with your dvd placement, you should not discriminate against your ipod.
Oh, I gotcha. But right now, my iPod is resting on a ProClip mount on the silver trim and tilts towards me for easy direct access. I really like my current iPod setup and have no issues with it at all.

Thanks for the input though
Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

Looks good man! I like it a lot. I might redo mine to be there too because mine still makes a tiny rattling noise being in the glove compartment. How much exactly did you pay for the DVD player install and the DVD player. I have all the rest setup done obviously. Also, what did you use for the sound? A FM modulator, the Blitzsafe adapter, etc.?

If you wanna meet up sometime this week we should do that ... I'll be around your area later this week (hopefully) to meet with JMBNOVA to do the Navi Hack.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Great Location and Great Install! The glovebox really isn't that accesible and the TL's glovebox is small enough as it is. Ideally, I think that retaining the door would be the best... I wonder if the space is deep enough to fit something all the way in and have the door shut. Is the front opening 6 inches or the comparment? In fact, does anyone know the full specs of that space? Perhaps a HALF DIN DVD Player would fit?

http://underbid.com/action/display/i.../PLDVD115.html

** Also, thanks for confirming my suspicious that a PS2 would not be used very much.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
Looks good man! I like it a lot. I might redo mine to be there too because mine still makes a tiny rattling noise being in the glove compartment. How much exactly did you pay for the DVD player install and the DVD player. I have all the rest setup done obviously. Also, what did you use for the sound? A FM modulator, the Blitzsafe adapter, etc.?

If you wanna meet up sometime this week we should do that ... I'll be around your area later this week (hopefully) to meet with JMBNOVA to do the Navi Hack.

I would definitely recommend doing the install for the DVD player in this area cause the space in the glovebox definitely has a lot of use

The price of the install was around $250-$300 and the Myron & Davis DVD player cost me around $140 shipped to my door.

For the sound, I used the Aux in input on the USA Spec adapter. I bought the adapter for iPod integration but it conveniently had an extra Aux in input to hook up one more audio device which in this case was my DVD player.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bar2v
Great Location and Great Install! The glovebox really isn't that accesible and the TL's glovebox is small enough as it is. Ideally, I think that retaining the door would be the best... I wonder if the space is deep enough to fit something all the way in and have the door shut. Is the front opening 6 inches or the comparment? In fact, does anyone know the full specs of that space? Perhaps a HALF DIN DVD Player would fit?

http://underbid.com/action/display/i.../PLDVD115.html

** Also, thanks for confirming my suspicious that a PS2 would not be used very much.
I think I've already mentioned this in response to another post on here but retaining the door is definitely going to be rough because the entire compartment piece is all connected. To me, it looked like an all or nothing deal. For instance, I may be mistaken but I think the sides of the compartment are connected to the door of it. Ideally of course, it'd be sweet if it could be retained so if it can be done, mad props to you! It'll definitely be kind of a pain though because the actual front opening is 6 inches and not the compartment. If you're going to find a way to retain the compartment, you're definitely going to have shave the sides of the compartment while still finding a way to not retain the top.

Also, before I did this install, I literally checked every Half-DIN DVD player out there including the PYLE one you have shown in the picture. None of the ones I saw had the specs to fit this area. Height wise, most were okay but the depth and width weren't able to match up. The only other DVD player that could have also worked was the Accelevision 8500 but I haven't heard too many good things about that DVD player and my installer said many people have gotten back to him with issues with the Accelevision.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Jimmy... looks sick.... Glad to see you finally got your install done....

What did you do about the hole in your glovebox??
Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Can You Feel It?

That is a very nice installation...I been waiting for this for a long time...I asked around and there seem to be no player that would fit that compartment...but now you have done it slimmyjimmy!!!...you are the man!!

If it is possible can you post up all the requirements for the installation...like prices ,specs, and internet links on where to buys...

I can't wait to do this mod...I wish I was in virginia...

Thanks ALOT!

Quick Reply: DVD Conversion Install Complete in Lower Compartment Below Radio - Pictures Included!