DVD-A Complete Process (PC/Windows)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
DVD-A Complete Process (PC/Windows)

Ok guys, I know there are TONS of threads on this but I'm a full time student/senior and I'm also helping 3 people on here with their system setups..so a little easy help would be great! Plus, I'm 3 DVD-R's in and can't figure it out haha

I used to have a Mac and I used a program called BURN that literally did everything for you and it was easy as ever. Load the songs, it converted them to whatever you wanted (it converted my FLAC songs to WAV) and then it burned it. Well....I can't seem to find a program like that for my new PC. I've downloaded DVD-Audio Solo & IMGBurn but can't seem to figure out what I'm supposed to do as there are quite a few choices. I'm hoping to get a complete run down processes so I/others can reference this for the future.

First, I'm not sure if IMGBurn or DVD-Audio Solo is better....or if there are any others that might be better than this. I searched and these seemed to be used/recommended quite a bit. I have all my music stored on my HDD as FLAC files. Do I need to convert them to WAV or will FLAC play fine and/or work fine?

IMGBurn
When first opened, I have the choice to:

1. Write image file to disc
2. Create image file from disc
3. Verify disc
4. Write files/folders to disc
5. Create image file from files/folders
6. Discovery

Which one??
Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Just tried "Create image file from files/folders" and then burned the PowerISOfile. That didn't seem to work. When inserted into car, it just flashed FORMAT.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

No one?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Tapers little helper - to convert

Exact Audio Copy - to Burn

Industry standard of traders for years.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For DVD-A,

AudioDVDCReator if you have 24bit audio tracks
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I have FLAC files which are lossless, so shouldn't need a converter right? Unless I need to put them into WAV format instead of FLAC.

I'll check out AudioDVDCreator.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have HD-Audio Solo Ultra so the process may be different. Here's what I do, maybe that will help.

You can use FLAC files to build your project. No conversion is necessary.

Put blank DVD in the drive.

From the Files tab, after you have selected the files you want, you should Save Project (give it a name), then click Export.

This should take you to the Write tab. Make sure the DVD-Audio box is checked. You can select your drive speed. I usually go with 8x.

Under DVD, select Direct to DVD.

Format DVD, select Quick.

Click Write.

First it will format the DVD, then write to it.

I know there are options to create an ISO, but I always use Direct to DVD and never had a problem.

You can also try contacting Circlinca by email. I've done so a couple of times and they usually responded within one day.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sweet. Thanks Darcar. I'll try the DVD-Audio Solo first since it's the same company to see if this process works. I'll report back
Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

So I burned the disk and it worked......kinda....not really.

When I put it in my car, it recognized it as a DVD-A like normal but would play weird. Track 1 played for 2 seconds and went to track 2 that didn't even play. Went to track 3 and played for like 10 seconds and skipped to 4. When I got back from class, the disc just ejected itself when I started the car. It won't even recognize it anymore.

I burned it on 8x speed. My burner is pretty solid too, very popular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

I'm not sure what to do as I don't want to keep wasting DVD-R's lol. Glad I bought the 50 pack. Here's the DVD-R's I'm using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817507002

Also, DVD-R has worked in my car before from my Mac..so I know DVD-R will work. Not sure what the brand was though
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Did you give up on using a Mac? I seem to recall you needed help using a Mac earlier this year.

Anyway, I have Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Ultra. Here's what I do. I haven't had reason to try using FLAC files recently because most of my DVD-burning in recent months involved consolidating CDs onto DVDs to make more space in the car for a trip to Florida.

(1) Put all the music in a convenient location in .WAV format. Convert it from other formats if needed. I usually create a new directory on my G: drive (external 1 TB drive) for each album I want to burn. I know Cirlinca's software can handle FLAC, I just haven't tried it yet. Maybe when I get around to buying something from HDTracks.com I'll try it.

(2) Run HD-Audio Solo Ultra. The left-hand pane in the application window has a directory tree. I navigate to the directories containing the material I want to burn to the DVD and then I drag those to the right-hand pane. I change the group as necessary. I got HD-Audio Solo Ultra specifically because the other version of their software I originally considered didn't support multiple groups. I rely on the groups to keep things organized and to fit more than 99 tracks on a disc.

(3) If the "Write" dialog isn't displayed on the right, click on "Export" and then on "Write." Make sure the "DVD-Audio" radio button is selected. I use the "Direct to DVD" option, which creates an .ISO image and then writes it to the disc. You can also have it just create the .ISO image and then burn it separately, but that seems like an unnecessary nuisance. On the "DVD Settings" tab I have the box checked to optimize for gapless inter-track.

(4) Before I burn the DVD, I usually load my LightScribe software and burn a label onto the other side of the disc, especially if it's one where I have a lot of different albums on a single DVD. That way I can easily tell later which disc it is.

(5) When it's time to burn the music, I first disable my screen saver and anything else that may cause the hard drive to start churning or otherwise cause the computer to do anything other than burn the disc. Then once I start the burning process I go do something else like taking a dump or getting something to eat. That way I'm not tempted to do anything at all on the computer while the process runs.

BTW, I've found that some tracks simply WILL NOT PLAY when I burn them to DVD-A, no matter what I do. Two of those were iTunes non-DRM purchases and I tried burning them to CD-RW, then re-ripping them. Still didn't work, as they cut off a few seconds into playing the songs. I have no idea why that sometimes happens.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-20-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Did you give up on using a Mac? I seem to recall you needed help using a Mac earlier this year.

Anyway, I have Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Ultra. Here's what I do. I haven't had reason to try using FLAC files recently because most of my DVD-burning in recent months involved consolidating CDs onto DVDs to make more space in the car for a trip to Florida.

(1) Put all the music in a convenient location in .WAV format. Convert it from other formats if needed. I usually create a new directory on my G: drive (external 1 TB drive) for each album I want to burn. I know Cirlinca's software can handle FLAC, I just haven't tried it yet. Maybe when I get around to buying something from HDTracks.com I'll try it.

(2) Run HD-Audio Solo Ultra. The left-hand pane in the application window has a directory tree. I navigate to the directories containing the material I want to burn to the DVD and then I drag those to the right-hand pane. I change the group as necessary. I got HD-Audio Solo Ultra specifically because the other version of their software I originally considered didn't support multiple groups. I rely on the groups to keep things organized and to fit more than 99 tracks on a disc.

(3) If the "Write" dialog isn't displayed on the right, click on "Export" and then on "Write." Make sure the "DVD-Audio" radio button is selected. I use the "Direct to DVD" option, which creates an .ISO image and then writes it to the disc. You can also have it just create the .ISO image and then burn it separately, but that seems like an unnecessary nuisance. On the "DVD Settings" tab I have the box checked to optimize for gapless inter-track.

(4) Before I burn the DVD, I usually load my LightScribe software and burn a label onto the other side of the disc, especially if it's one where I have a lot of different albums on a single DVD. That way I can easily tell later which disc it is.

(5) When it's time to burn the music, I first disable my screen saver and anything else that may cause the hard drive to start churning or otherwise cause the computer to do anything other than burn the disc. Then once I start the burning process I go do something else like taking a dump or getting something to eat. That way I'm not tempted to do anything at all on the computer while the process runs.

BTW, I've found that some tracks simply WILL NOT PLAY when I burn them to DVD-A, no matter what I do. Two of those were iTunes non-DRM purchases and I tried burning them to CD-RW, then re-ripping them. Still didn't work, as they cut off a few seconds into playing the songs. I have no idea why that sometimes happens.
Nah didn't give up on the Mac. Great computer but I built a PC for gaming, etc. It's a beast of a computer but I haven't used a PC or paid attention to this topic for PC lol.

As far as your steps, I pretty much do exactly that except:

1. Converting to WAV
2. I don't check "optimize for gapless inter-track"
3. Any of (4)

I know that these tracks should play as some will play the whole song, while others will play 2 seconds or whatever....from the same album. I'm going to try to convert them all to WAV format, then burn it at the slowest speed possible (like 2x I think). I'll make sure not to use the comp while I do this either...didn't think about that.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey

I know that these tracks should play as some will play the whole song, while others will play 2 seconds or whatever....from the same album. I'm going to try to convert them all to WAV format, then burn it at the slowest speed possible (like 2x I think). I'll make sure not to use the comp while I do this either...didn't think about that.
When I run HD-Audio Solo Ultra it in fact admonishes me to avoid any activity on the computer while the disc is burning.

Off the top of my head I don't know which speed I use for burning.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sweet. Think I got it. I'll do a write up with step by step instructions so a mod can put this into the 3G Garage
Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Have you been able to get the disk to playback properly in the car?

1995hoo and I are basically doing the same things. I also check the gapless playback box.

I use mainly DVD-R, but I've tried a handful of DVD+R and they worked too.

You should be OK with FLAC, unless FLAC support is not a feature with your program.

You could try a slower speed, but not using the computer while the process takes place is probably more important.

Hope it's working for you now.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah...it started skipping songs again. Most of them will play a few seconds at best and go to the next song but some will play the whole way through, but it's rare. I burned it at the slowest speed too (4x). I wonder if there's a way to re-burn it to make it deeper into the DVD. I wonder if it's just not burning all the way or what. It does it relatively quick (3-4 minutes) so I'm thinking that its not getting a good burn
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Yeah...it started skipping songs again. Most of them will play a few seconds at best and go to the next song but some will play the whole way through, but it's rare. I burned it at the slowest speed too (4x). I wonder if there's a way to re-burn it to make it deeper into the DVD. I wonder if it's just not burning all the way or what. It does it relatively quick (3-4 minutes) so I'm thinking that its not getting a good burn
That's peculiar. It usually takes me 15 to 20 minutes after I tell it to begin the process. It builds the .ISO and then burns the disc. It sounds like something's going far too quickly on yours.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Do you know if there's a way to re-burn the same thing?? Wondering if burning over it twice would help but I don't know how since it'll just say it's already been burned when I try to re-do it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Do you know if there's a way to re-burn the same thing?? Wondering if burning over it twice would help but I don't know how since it'll just say it's already been burned when I try to re-do it.
Do you mean on the same disc? Unless it's a DVD-RW, I don't know of any way to do that. If you mean re-burning the same material on a different disc, that should be feasible if you can find the .ISO file.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I mean the same disc. I assumed it wasn't possible but I wanted to rule out the burn not really "burning" deep enough into the disc. They play fine on my comp so I know they are fine, just a burning issue I guess.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

So I still can't figure out how to burn a DVD-A on Windows without it skipping. If anyone could help me with what program they use (preferably free; student and I'm broke!) and how to make it work.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by darcar
I have HD-Audio Solo Ultra so the process may be different. Here's what I do, maybe that will help.

You can use FLAC files to build your project. No conversion is necessary.

Put blank DVD in the drive.

From the Files tab, after you have selected the files you want, you should Save Project (give it a name), then click Export.

This should take you to the Write tab. Make sure the DVD-Audio box is checked. You can select your drive speed. I usually go with 8x.

Under DVD, select Direct to DVD.

Format DVD, select Quick.

Click Write.

First it will format the DVD, then write to it.

I know there are options to create an ISO, but I always use Direct to DVD and never had a problem.

You can also try contacting Circlinca by email. I've done so a couple of times and they usually responded within one day.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by 1995hoo

Just tried with HD Audio Solo and this is what I got in my log. Does this look like what you all get?? I know you probably don't know but if anyone needs/wants to burn one and check for me that'd be great!!

Initializing application - VST..Audio..WMP.. Ready
Checking for updates ... you have the latest version

Initializing DVD device
Found CD/DVD/BD device 'ASUS ' 'DRW-24B1ST a ' '1.04'
Initialization done
No Disc
Full Formatting (this will take a while)...Done
DVD-R disc - Media ID : MCC 03RG20
Checking files readable ... Done
Building DVD-Audio - Analyzing.. AOBS.. IFO.. Menus.. ATS.. Done
Building UDF File System
Building ISO 9660 File System
Start writing at 6.0X. Estimated blocks count : 1310336
Warning : AVOID ACTIVITY on the system while writing to DVD
Write successfully completed in 5mn19s at 5.9X
Disc not Writable
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ This didn't work. Still skipping songs. All are in FLAC format and I put them in group 2. I made a few (10 i think) songs into WAV format and put them into Group 1....those skipped also. WTF!

I'm like 5-6 DVD-R's in the hole now...I need help.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

still can't figure this ish out....
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I think I got it!!.....because everyone cares

PS: I don't think our units like FLAC format too much
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced

So what did you do to get it working? I wanted to help, but didn't know what else to suggest. I've used FLAC as source files with Cirlinca and never had a problem. What program do you use to create FLAC files with?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Following up because earlier this week I burned a DVD using high-rez (24-bit/88-kHz) FLAC files of Rolling Stones albums purchased from HDTracks.com. The disc contains two groups; the first group contains Beggars Banquet and the second contains Their Satanic Majesties Request. I just threw the high-rez FLACs directly into the Cirlinca software and had no problems whatsoever; the disc plays fine in the TL. The discs I'm using are HP LightScribe DVD-R discs I purchased at Staples. I burn the LightScribe label before burning the music. The labels are key just because I have so many DVDs in that little shelf underneath the TL's stereo!

I don't know what you might be doing wrong, Trunk Monkey. I see your activity log mentions doing a full format on the DVD. I don't do that. The button next to "Quick" is highlighted, but I never click on the "Format" button. I just arrange everything the way I want it on the disc, bring up the "Write" settings on the right side (selecting "Optimize for gapless inter-track" on the "DVD settings" tab), and then click the "Write" button after the DVD is in the drive. The only problem I've had is, as I mentioned before, a couple of tracks purchased from iTunes without DRM that simply WILL NOT play properly on DVD-A no matter what I do to burn them, doesn't matter if I use iTunes or another converter to convert them to .WAV or whether I burn them to a CD and then re-rip it.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Well the new method works about 75% of the time. Most songs seem to play just fine, but sometimes the disc will just stop working and say the usual "format" thing and eject. Next time I'm in the car, I'll pop it back in and it'll work lol..weird.

I'm using highly regarded disc's from NewEgg also. Maybe they hate the TL, who knows!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817507002

Darcar- I don't want to post it up yet as there is still something wrong. I'll keep trying it out until I get it to work each and every time. Might go pick up a single DVD-R somewhere and just try it. I'm starting to think these DVD-R's are solid, but don't like DVD-A or our players.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Bump. My HD-Audio Solo expired even before I could get a DVD-A to actually work 100% of the time lol. I still can't figure this out. I bought a 5-pack of DVD-A's that are a different brand than the Verbatim DVD-R's I have just in case. I feel like such a noob....It shouldn't be this difficult

I just tried IMG-Burn. Made an iso from files, then burned the iso to a disk. Didn't work. I put WAV and FLAC formats on there also. Also!...when I put it in the player, I got some funky feedback. My tweeters had some static every like 3-4 seconds until it finally ejected the disk. Ugh..

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-16-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

OK. Can someone run me through a program with

1. making/burning the ISO Image
2. Putting that on the disc
3. etc etc etc

Circline HD Audio Solo won't even open for me anymore b/c my trial is over. I still have IMG-Burn but it wont f'ing work for me. I need some new music ASAP, but more importantly I need to burn all these tuning songs (pink noise, etc) that I have!! Why can't it just be easy like on my mac lol. Ugh. I know there's a program out there that I'll just load the music and it'll create the ISO image and burn it for me. That's all I need
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
did you ever figure this out? I'm still messing around with circlina dvd-a solo, not ultra edition. I'm having the same problem I can burn the dvd-a but it will not play at all in my tl
Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yup. I used Adobemans GUI that you can get on here. I made a new thread about this so just search my new threads in my profile. Also, search "Adobeman DVD-a" or something to that effect and you get his thread with the Program in it. Has step by step instructions and is pretty simple