DOMs Navtogo. What did you guys use as a switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
DOMs Navtogo. What did you guys use as a switch?

Hey guys,

Just want to see what you guys used as a switch for the DOMs Navtogo. I have seen the accord switch with the dvd logo.. I really want to do that, but cant find a place to make me the dvd logo sticker small enough.. If you know of a place let me know!!

I wanna see some pics.. I am probably going to use the switch that came with the DOMs for now and have it hanging in my center console, until I can figure out what I want to do..

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
This guy does custom decals on ebay: UserID=craig111779
Here is what he was selling that tipped me off to him:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

He can do any size you need. Not sure if he has the DVD logo, but I'm sure you can work something out.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is just the regular switch that came wth the doms, i just extended it into the center arm rest console beside the cig lighter. didnt want anything under the dash to draw attention from the dealership to make them question anything after the stuff ive been threw with them
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

I used the Accord Fog Light Switch and labeled the switch "Aux In". I found a freeware font called efrom.ttf that is almost exactly the same as the "VSA OFF" lettering. I got Kinkos (with the old Alphagraphics) to print up the Vinyl lettering ($10 a sq ft) They used a PDF I generated and laser cut the vinyl letters. I used the standard paint and peel method to get the backlighting and clear coated the switch to protect it. Lastly, I wanted the correct polarity on the switch (light on = Aux Video) so I wired the switch to an automotive relay. Works like a champ! I will post up some pics and a wiring diagram in the next day or so when I get the stuff off the camera.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfman1138
I used the Accord Fog Light Switch and labeled the switch "Aux In". I found a freeware font called efrom.ttf that is almost exactly the same as the "VSA OFF" lettering. I got Kinkos (with the old Alphagraphics) to print up the Vinyl lettering ($10 a sq ft) They used a PDF I generated and laser cut the vinyl letters. I used the standard paint and peel method to get the backlighting and clear coated the switch to protect it. Lastly, I wanted the correct polarity on the switch (light on = Aux Video) so I wired the switch to an automotive relay. Works like a champ! I will post up some pics and a wiring diagram in the next day or so when I get the stuff off the camera.
its amazing all the effort we go through just to make everything so perfect for our TLs. this is some dedication lol gunna have to do this soon
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Can you please post how your did it.. thanks!! I need to know asap. since i am installing it right now.. lol
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Ok quick question guys.. I have a rocker switch with LED that I got that I want to use.. it has 3 plugs..
- One for ground
- One for accessory
- One for Power

My question is this. The DOMs unit has a switch with a Red and Black wire that it comes with AND a power source cable with a black and red wire.
Can I just cut the wires to the switch and attach the red to the accessory and the black to the ground wire of my new rocker switch? And leave the 12 volt one not connected to anything? Doesnt sound right like this tho.. Dont want to mess up my DOMs.. so someone post please!! lol

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
^^^^
i think i goes ground to ground, power or 12v fused source to power and then doms power or red wire to accessory, the other ground from doms unit just ground it to the rest of the ground wires.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Bone stock tl-s

like this bzyrice
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

If I remember my wiring of the relay correctly, the red and black wires that connect to the switch are tied together (IE, switch on) to show the NAV on the screen and open (Switch off) to get Video 1 on the screen. Video 2 (backup cam) is controlled via the blue wire to +12V.
So using the info here:
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...lay_basics.htm

I wired the red and black wires to pins 30 and 87A on the relay (The Normally Closed path) and order does not matter.) I taped off the 87 pin. Tied pin 86 to ground and tied pin 85 to the +12 that comes from the switch.

When you flip the LED switch on, do you get 12V down the Accessory pin? If so, then you can use the relay method.

I bought the relay as a kit at Napa that had the relay, a wiring harness (ie socket and 5 pre-soldered wires) and a mount clip. Right behind the VSA switch is a grounding bolt. I used that to hold the relay mount. Very clean with no vibration.

I'll try and add pictures tonight, but I thought I'd get the info up ASAP to help bzyrice because he is probably knee deep in trim panels right now and probably has to get the car put back together soon.

- Neal
Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Yah, I can do that.. but DOMs unit has anotehr set of red and black wires that is supposed to be for the power source..

It has this..

DOMs AC 12 VOLT in -> Splits into 2 wires .. Red and Black -> to nothing
DOMs -> Red and Black wires -> Switch

So, I was going to cut the DOMs Switch off.. then realized that the rocker switch I got has 3 plugs ..
Rocker Switch -> Accessory
Rocker Switch -> Power
Rocker Switch -> Ground

Should I jsut use an on/off switch? with only 2 plugs in it? I really liked the led switch I got tho..
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
10th Gear

I bought DOMs converter about two years ago, and the 12V supply came in the form of a mini-coaxial plug. You will need to get power to the 12V side and ground the GND side. I used a mini-fuse expansion into slot 32, and ran that power to the Accord Fog Switch and also back to DOMs unit in the trunk. I grounded DOMs unit in the trunk to the factory ground that lives right there. I grounded the white wire separated from the blue, the Green&white pair, the back wire from the PNP harness and the power-supply ground. (I followed the advice of other threads here.)
DOMs unit won't work without local power. So I had three wires from the dash to the trunk. Two that extended the switch, and one for 12V back to DOM's converter.

I will get the wiring diagrams drawn and up tonight...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Yah, I can do that.. but DOMs unit has anotehr set of red and black wires that is supposed to be for the power source..

It has this..

DOMs AC 12 VOLT in -> Splits into 2 wires .. Red and Black -> to nothing
DOMs -> Red and Black wires -> Switch

So, I was going to cut the DOMs Switch off.. then realized that the rocker switch I got has 3 plugs ..
Rocker Switch -> Accessory
Rocker Switch -> Power
Rocker Switch -> Ground

Should I jsut use an on/off switch? with only 2 plugs in it? I really liked the led switch I got tho..
it has three because it has the led in it. it needs power to stay on right? or does the dom unit in the on position (or video to navi screen) have the power to light the led?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jptl04
it has three because it has the led in it. it needs power to stay on right? or does the dom unit in the on position (or video to navi screen) have the power to light the led?
See thats my question...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bzyrice
See thats my question...
I'm pretty sure that you are not going to be able to drive the LED from DOM's unit. I think the switches are Grounded or Open. I think there was a long discussion in this thread about this. (Can't find it right now...)
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 AM
10th Gear

Here is the wiring diagram for my '07 Accord Fog Light Switch for use with DOM's Nav converter.

The pins of the switches are numbered and the colors come form the wiring harnesses.
The red wires are the hack into the VSA harness to power the backlights.

I used the Accord switch and harness, although the harness is only used to get the connector and 4 inches of wire...

08V31-SDA-1M035 007 SWITCH, FOGLIGHT
08V31-SDA-10130 005 FOGLIGHT SWITCH HARNESS
The relay was a generic 12V relay + socket from Napa

This is where I mounted the relay:

Final Switch:

Hope the wiring diagram helps.

Last edited by wolfman1138; 11-12-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My switch