Dom Video/PNP/USA Spec and iPod Video - Some sample QT movies of video

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dom Video/PNP/USA Spec and iPod Video - Some sample QT movies of video

Hey everyone,

I Just finished installing Doms video box with the PNP harness in my '06 6MT the other day and thought that i would share some small QT's i made. I also have the USA Spec box for audio hooked up with ipod control BTW...I have control over the videos though the fwd and rev buttons on the steering wheel/head unit and have full control from the ipod itself, good enough for me...

http://www.demented.com/DomVideoSample001.mov

http://www.demented.com/DomVideoSample002.mov

Sorry for the poor quality i made them through a older canon digital still camera so they are mediocre at best.. but i thought they would at least show a bit of the controls and ipod video quality.

Basically i have the USA Spec box running out of the Y adapter from my Acura music link which i removed. The USA Spec ipod wire is plugged into the ipod and that's what i use for music and video sound.

The White cable coming out of the top of the iPod Video 60GB is a Apple A/V cable that runs from the headphone jack to a three prong RCA cable with a video and left and right audio out. I taped off the audio RCA's and ran the video cord back to Doms box in the trunk. The cable for the video cost me $19.95 I did not want to cut anything in the center console so i ran the wires out of the top storage bin under the head unit I have included a pic below. There is a gap above the door that is perfect for the cables...

I did it this way so that i can remove the ipod and if i wanted to I could also stick the cords in the bin and still close the door. The holder for the iPod is a Proclip, i haven't used the adhesive but its just wedged in there and it fits just fine for now...

The switch for the video is mounted in the little door in the back seat on the center console. I mounted it inside at the bottom so that its easy to open and flick it but not hit it by accident, plus again its easier to replace that door then cutting a hole elsewhere.

All in all it was pretty painless there are plenty of posts here on how to install so I did not post any install pics.

I wasn't going to install Dom's video switch until because i would never watch tv while driving and mounting another DVD player wasn't an idea i was thrilled with. I figured why install a DVD player for a screen that can't deliver dvd quality? So I decided to go with the ipod as its not only portable but can store a ton of video unlike a DVD, not to mention the music

Anyway maybe i will get my buddies video camera if anyone cares and make better quality vids.

I have a backup camera all ready to go so thats my next add-on.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well done.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
9th Gear

Might as well throw my video of the USA SPEC hon2y in here, works great and installed into the arm rest easily without much panel removal at all. see the display, track numbers, get a general good idea of operation: http://www.ipodforautos.ca
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Must give landshark props for inspiring me to do this

This is the cheapest way to watch video in the car. Combining my audio and video source into one solution. I has the USAspec for when I play music through the ipod video, and I also have Apple's AV cbale hooked directly into the Audio/Video rca's. What a great solution for those that already have an ipod video
Old 12-16-2006, 07:05 PM
10th Gear

that setup is actually what im looking for.. easy and simple..

question. with that setup. what do you need?

1. usa spec hon2y
2. dom tvnav2go
3. video ipod
4. av cable
5. switch

am i missing anything else??
Old 12-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Trucki!!

Thats it. You'll also need short audio rca's and a video rca to go from the doms unit to up front
Old 02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced

I have this same setup (partly inspired by this thread). It all works well, but I was hoping that I could create a playlist of all my videos, and then put the USA Spec in playlist mode and be able to play the videos without touching the ipod. But that does not appear to work. It works in direct mode, though. I will play with it more. Has anyone else been able to play vidoes in the playlist mode?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Trucki!!

haven't tried, i don't watch music videos though.....just movies
Old 02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Mine are movies too, not music videos, I guess I just use those word interchangeably.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Trucki!!

i guess i don't mind changing the movie every 1 1/2 hours, lol

I dunno, I'll play with it when I go home today. I'll let you know if I find out how to do it.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Cruisin'

ipod Video Shuffling

Hey guys, been gone a while and just moved, to answer your questions about shuffling videos.. technically for whatever brainiac reason right now you can't technically shuffle videos at random. I assume this is because of the buffering that the ipod does on the music side so that when you hit next it loads instantly instead of a delay. I think the buffer isn't able to load an entire new video so it just won't do it.

However i do know of a quick fix to get the ipod to play videos one after another, if it doesn't already work i know turning off song shuffle (Main Menu > Settings > Shuffle > Off) and making a play list of your movies or music videos, you will be able to watch them in the order they are in your playlist.

This is the only way i know of to watch videos one after another.

I'm hoping a firmware update will address this sooner or later, but who knows. I still don't watch the video side much in my car, but i love the setup overall, blows anything else out of the water in my opinion. Between the sound quality and easy installation its a no brainer if you have a iPod, plus i can take it out for security or when the weather gets cold, which i do all the time.

I don't know if USA spec has updated their box, but i do know the latest ipod will not work with the box i have, my buddy tried.. it took some messing around to get the thing to play. The controls on the steering wheel would not work the 80 GB ipod.

hope this helps, if you guys need anything let me know i will be happy to help.

BTW i added the backup camera soon after this install and love it! its been more then useful especially now that i live in Denver and i can see out the back when the back window is frozen or there is snow on it..
Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Landshark99. I was not talking about shuffling videos, but being able to play them when the USA Spec is in playlist mode. Will turning off shuffle mode allow the USA Spec to be in playlist mode and let me select my video playlist and play them that way? Right now it seems to only play videos (movies) if I am in direct mode and select the video that way.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

Is playlist mode the one that will allow you to change the music via the stock car controls? I can't remember which is which and too lazy to go look it up, i haven't had any problems since i installed it regarding switching the videos when in playlist mode if this is the case. I haven't tried it using just direct control but i can't see why it wouldn't work that way also.

if you want i can go run a quick test later tonight and see if it works. let me know
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Playlist mode is where you can create 5 playlists (HONDA1.., HONDA2..., etc) and then you can pick those playlists by changing discs. In direct mode, you have to select playlists and songs via the iPod. I will turn off shuffle mode and see if that fixes it for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Hi. I tried turning off shuffle and playing videos in Playlist Mode still did not work. Also, I tried Direct Mode and manually playing my playlist, and it played the first one, but I could not move back and forth through the songs, which you said you could do. Any other ideas? I have a 5.5 30gb version, and it is firmware 1.2.1 I think.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thats right, thanks for reminding me about the USA Spec modes, i have it direct control then thats correct, a bit of confusion on my part.

Very strange, i'm sitting here playing my music videos back and forth, it won't randomize them but it will only play them in the order they are in my iPod playlist...

I have a 60 Gb with software version 1.2.1 as well... its strange it won't work. I don't know how much good this would be but maybe try and do a reset to your ipod, (holding down the center button and menu until it reboots)

You know if the videos still won't play one after another... maybe try going to an apple store and ask the help they have there, its free and they should be able to shed some light on this.

I did a quick search on apples site about shuffling videos but they weren't much help, just the same turn off song shuffle idea, I would try to see if you have any other settings on the ipod like sound check or EQ are on and maybe turn them off and see whats happens... You never know what strange little option might foil the video side.. i have seen sillier stuff go down on electronics...

Sorry i'm not much more help, but i will keep racking my brains about it..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help LandShark99, but don't worry about it. The only thing I really wanted was to be able to play videos while in playlist mode, but it doesn't look like that is possible, so I will just use Direct Mode.