Does the LG VX9800 work with HFL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005 | 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Does the LG VX9800 work with HFL?

I am thinking of getting this phone soon instead of the blackberry. Has anyone successfully used it in an Acura TL? I know the Treo 650 had trouble. Thanks.

-Josh
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/LG_carkit_vx9800.pdf

According to this it is compatible with the HFL. I know the vx8100 is compatible also - as I have used it.
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks! Now I know this is the phone/sms for me. It's amazing, I've googled "vx9800" and "tl" and found nothing. Hopefully others will find this thread.

-Josh
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Let us know how it works. I know with the vx8100 I had problems with the volume (on the handset itself, not with the HFL). It was a well known problem.
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

I played with a working model in the verizon store, called my wife who was elsewhere in the mall and it was quite loud - piercing I recall at first until I lowered it. She was on a cell phone too. The only catch was I know some of the verizon bluetooth phones do not link with the car. My buddy got the treo 650 and it did not link with his prius. Now he's stuck.
Old 11-12-2005 | 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe the Treo is the only one that does not work with all the cars. Verizon has been pretty thorough with making them work. The new samsungs do not work with the HFL either.
Old 11-28-2005 | 10:38 AM
Intermediate

vx9800 bought last night

Okay here is the scoop;

The phone pairs no problem, it properly displays the caller ID, Battery Strength, Signal Strength and works flawlessly...BUT.....(there is always a but)...YOU CAN"T HANGUP WITH THE BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL........it just gives you this high pitched beeping noise.....you can only hangup with the end button on the phone.......

This is a problem because I do not always take the phone out of my pocket when I drive...so I can't hangup.......now maybe there is a fix for this problem...maybe there is a setting on the car or the phone....but I have not found it yet.......

Additionally, the BT connectivity is better then the v710 (old phone)....you don't get that annoying noise when it connects...which is nice.

Now with the phone:
It is big.....but I am okay with that I love the Qwerty keyboard and you pay for it in size...I am a text message freak......but it is not as highly customizable as the v710 that I am kicking to the curb.......you can't change the menus and colors to your liking and the small window on the front of the phone is only good for caller ID and the time..........But I am coming out of the v710 which has the largest screen I have ever seen.....Additionally I do not love how the keypad lock works....you should have the option to engage it yourself....waiting 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds is to long for me.....I hit end and put the thing in my pocket 7 seconds is just to long....

If anyone has an answer to the hangup problem please Respond!!!! I am going to start another thread for the problem!
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:48 PM
Advanced

Guy I work w has the 9800 and a TL and he mentioned the same hangup issue when I talked to him today. Thinking about cashing in my 710 from the BT class action but don't want to wait forever for them to fix it.
Old 11-28-2005 | 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Need to be specific when you say the Treo doesn't work. The Sprint Treo 650 with v1.12 firmware is the only Treo approved by Acura to work with the car. Mine works flawlessly, I get signal strength on the MID, caller ID, and phone icon. The only thing Acura says doesn't work with the SPCS Treo is the battery and car diags.

Verizon, Earthlink, Cingular, Unlocked GSM, etc... are not approved by Acura.

Seems like since Sprint was the first out with the Treo they got the latest bluetooth updates before anyone else. I'm sure the improved BT compatibility will come to the others.
Old 11-28-2005 | 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayelwin
My buddy got the treo 650 and it did not link with his prius. Now he's stuck.
Latest Sprint Treo with v1.12 specifically says it now works with the Prius.
Old 04-14-2006 | 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crk1216
Okay here is the scoop;

The phone pairs no problem, it properly displays the caller ID, Battery Strength, Signal Strength and works flawlessly...BUT.....(there is always a but)...YOU CAN"T HANGUP WITH THE BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL........it just gives you this high pitched beeping noise.....you can only hangup with the end button on the phone.......

I have the same exact same problem. Also, when i do hangup, sometimes it just calls the person right back. Any news on a fix? I have an 05 tl
Old 04-14-2006 | 12:19 PM
'06 Acura TL

When I first got my TL i posted something in another thread similar to the affect that the hangup does not work, but everyelse works just fine.

But recently my phone stoped working and I went and got a new one, and it came with new software on it. I guess there is an upgrade to the firmware...anyway, the hang-up feature now works as long as you have the latest software on the phone.

Hope that helps. I love using it in my car!
Old 04-14-2006 | 12:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crk1216
Okay here is the scoop;

This is a problem because I do not always take the phone out of my pocket when I drive...so I can't hangup.......now maybe there is a fix for this problem...maybe there is a setting on the car or the phone....but I have not found it yet.......

Additionally, the BT connectivity is better then the v710 (old phone)....you don't get that annoying noise when it connects...which is nice.

Now with the phone:
It is big.....but I am okay with that I love the Qwerty keyboard and you pay for it in size...I am a text message freak......but it is not as highly customizable as the v710 that I am kicking to the curb.......you can't change the menus and colors to your liking and the small window on the front of the phone is only good for caller ID and the time..........But I am coming out of the v710 which has the largest screen I have ever seen.....Additionally I do not love how the keypad lock works....you should have the option to engage it yourself....waiting 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds is to long for me.....I hit end and put the thing in my pocket 7 seconds is just to long....

If anyone has an answer to the hangup problem please Respond!!!! I am going to start another thread for the problem!

Absolutely true about the hand up issue. Funny thing is when I did the initial pairing I had no problem with it. A few days later and I couldnt hand up the phone from the steering wheel.

The other problem I find is that i doenst always switch the voice over to the car. This only happens when I make an outgoing call. I tell my TL to dial the number, it dials but the vehicle displays shows DIALING and the time counter starts on my phone. I have to disconnect and reconnect in order to fix this problem. I have never had a problem with incoming calls.

As far as the phone, I have no problem with the size. I packed on a 1gb card and its a video ipod. I convert dvds and put them in them and I have tons of music. Love the keyboard and the fact that I can easily check my gmail and IM anytime. Also the camera is very good.
Old 05-28-2006 | 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vandido626
The other problem I find is that i doenst always switch the voice over to the car. This only happens when I make an outgoing call. I tell my TL to dial the number, it dials but the vehicle displays shows DIALING and the time counter starts on my phone. I have to disconnect and reconnect in order to fix this problem. I have never had a problem with incoming calls.
I never used to have this problem when I had the v1 firmware, although I had the same hang-up problem everyone else has. After I had the phone upgraded to the v2 firmware, it hangs up fine, but now most of the time I'm not able to hear anything when I try to dial out. I can fix that by switching the output to phone and back to bluetooth again, but of course that's a pain.

Why is it so hard for this phone to work with the TL? My cheap old Sony Ericsson T610 never had any of these problems...
Old 08-30-2006 | 06:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vandido626
After I had the phone upgraded to the v2 firmware, it hangs up fine, but now most of the time I'm not able to hear anything when I try to dial out.
My wife has the same problem with not being able to hear anything after dialing, except her phone freezes for few and she can't do anything.