DIY DVD Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY DVD Install

Hi everyone,
I've recently acquired a 2007 TL Type-S and was interested in installing a DVD player in the front dash where there is currently a pocket directly in front of the shifter.

I have done quite a bit of research here on acurazine and found some information on how to do a DVD player install. However, I have only found one thread related on installing a player in this pocket that i'm interested in putting mine in and the thread does not have any instructions on how I could do it myself.

So my question is if anyone here can help point me in the right direction for finding a DIY for installing a DVD player in this front pocket, with directions one wiring, switch installations, needed equipment etc. all in one place, and of course preferably with some pictures?

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks!!!

Mike
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm working on a very detailed DIY that I'm going to try to post tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't put my DVD player in the area you plan to and I don't have any pictures (my camera died on me). But I still think it would be very helpful. Keep an eye out for it tomorrow. I can post a link to it in this thread. I hope it will help you out.

Also - your s/n is misleading if your name is Mike.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I'm working on a very detailed DIY that I'm going to try to post tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't put my DVD player in the area you plan to and I don't have any pictures (my camera died on me). But I still think it would be very helpful. Keep an eye out for it tomorrow. I can post a link to it in this thread. I hope it will help you out.

Also - your s/n is misleading if your name is Mike.
Thanks Jason (guessing)....

yeah..i'm still interested in your write up...i'm sure it will be helpful. If you can post a link to it in this thread as well that would be great!

yeah...i know the s/n is misleading...back in 2005 a good friend of mine bought a acura..and we were looking something up and in the process created a username on this forum for her (her name is Jessica). I must have used my email address back then. I had forgotten about that until earlier today when I was creating an account for me and realized that I had her account under my email address...I didn't see a way to change my user name and it was too much trouble to completly try to delete the original account and do a new one for me..so...lol..long story...I apologize!

thanks...Mike
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jessicah
yeah...i know the s/n is misleading...back in 2005 a good friend of mine bought a acura..and we were looking something up and in the process created a username on this forum for her (her name is Jessica). I must have used my email address back then. I had forgotten about that until earlier today when I was creating an account for me and realized that I had her account under my email address...I didn't see a way to change my user name and it was too much trouble to completly try to delete the original account and do a new one for me..so...lol..long story...I apologize!

thanks...Mike
you will get so many more replies if you just say ur name is jessica lol
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by paperboy42190

thats exactly what i'm looking to do...do you have a DIY that you have done or did you follow someone elses DIY?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

+1 for Gman.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

haha..I thought that earlier..but didn't want be a liar ...but if it helps..I can be Jessica! She is hot too!

lol
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Pro

^ This is true.

Can you close your cubby hole door? It looks like you can't. I've seen an install on here where someone can fully close their door. I love this, good job, but I couldn't bring myself to hack up my car. I just opted to have the DVD player in the trunk.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM

haha..I thought that earlier..but didn't want be a liar ...but if it helps..I can be Jessica! She is hot too!

lol
Pics, please.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

I have seen both..where the doors can be closed and where it can't close...I think to get it closed you have to dremel off the metal bar behind the cubby hole...and part of the side of the cubby..not sure. Thats part of why i'm looking for a DIY...so I can get this done..as well as know what wires to wire where etc...
Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Pics, please.
if I find some DIY for what i'm trying to do..I can post some pics...lol
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Jayson, get those DIY's OUT NOWWW!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed the dvd player in the cubby hole but no diy, sorry. The metal bar can be removed by bending it up and down repeatedly till you weaken the spot weld. Repeat on the other side, its less messy and no metal shavings compared to dremel. The downside is i had to sacrifice the ac duct behind it to accomodate the dvd player. I had to cut a rectangle and build a box inside the duct so it restricted the air flow. Changing the duct is easy and only $17. Will be buying it for future use in case it gets hard to find. Btw i used the myron and davis unit. Something to keep mind.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
^ This is true.

Can you close your cubby hole door? It looks like you can't. I've seen an install on here where someone can fully close their door. I love this, good job, but I couldn't bring myself to hack up my car. I just opted to have the DVD player in the trunk.
i dont have a cubby anymore, it was completely removed for the dvd player.

as for a DIY, i dont have one because it was done by the prev owner. however i've taken apart the panels and checked that all the work was done very professionally and no sign of wires showing anywhere
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Pro

I have seen both..where the doors can be closed and where it can't close...I think to get it closed you have to dremel off the metal bar behind the cubby hole...and part of the side of the cubby..not sure. Thats part of why i'm looking for a DIY...so I can get this done..as well as know what wires to wire where etc...
Yeah, getting it to fit in that cubby is a very involved process and I wasn't willing to cut or lose my air duct behind the cubby. I would love to have it there, but it just wasn't worth it to me. I like knowing I can undo any work I've done and have my car be 100% factory. Even though I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Jayson, get those DIY's OUT NOWWW!!!!

Originally Posted by abracing
I installed the dvd player in the cubby hole but no diy, sorry. The metal bar can be removed by bending it up and down repeatedly till you weaken the spot weld. Repeat on the other side, its less messy and no metal shavings compared to dremel. The downside is i had to sacrifice the ac duct behind it to accomodate the dvd player. I had to cut a rectangle and build a box inside the duct so it restricted the air flow. Changing the duct is easy and only $17. Will be buying it for future use in case it gets hard to find. Btw i used the myron and davis unit. Something to keep mind.
Yeah, this is what I didn't want to mess with. Great job getting it done though!

i dont have a cubby anymore, it was completely removed for the dvd player.

as for a DIY, i dont have one because it was done by the prev owner. however i've taken apart the panels and checked that all the work was done very professionally and no sign of wires showing anywhere
Ahh, okay. Well good, I'm glad that the guy before you knew what he was doing. That makes life easier. Do you like the look without the cubby? Does it still look pretty clean? I notice in the picture something looked a little off, but that doesn't necessarily mean it looks bad.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Take a lot of dremeling but there are several members that have installed 1/2 din dvd players in the center with the door being able to open and close. I did not have to relocate the a/c ducts, but did have tor rearrange the circuit boards inside the dvd player and modify the rca cables due to the dvd player rubbing on the a/c duct.

DOOR OPEN

DOOR CLOSED
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Pro

Rub it in why don't ya!

Looks great, man! I'm jealous.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 AM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you thought about using a flash/hard drive based media player instead ?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM

if I find some DIY for what i'm trying to do..I can post some pics...lol
Delivered.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/dvd-player-usa-spec-comprehensive-diy-install-820453/

your turn.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Pro

^ I was gonna come post this, but Justin moves fast.

Either he really wants those pictures, or he loved my DIY.

It must be the DIY...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

Lol...i'm going to have to go dig up some pictures!

I appreciate you adding the link so I can see your write up...I've started reading some of it..yeah..wish that your camera was working at the time..it would have made a world of difference..but your write up is definitely better than most of the ones that i've been able to find online...so..currently reading it to see what it all entails.

I will be keeping my end of the bargain up!!!

mike aka..Jessica
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

hmm...its not letting me insert a pic...

oh..I think I know why...the picture has to be on a link...I have it on my computer.

Last edited by jessicah; 05-26-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: update info
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Pro

You'll have to use a website to host photos. A lot of people use photobucket or imageshack. I prefer imageshack because it's not blocked by my firewall at work. .

Yeah, sorry about the no pictures. I was really disappointed my camera didn't work. But I did my best to paint the picture in words. You might have to read something over a couple of times to get it in your head, but if something doesn't make sense just post in the thread and I'll try to better explain what I meant!