Difference between Handsfree & Headset Profiles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Auto-Erotic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Handsfree & Headset Profiles

This is a little off topic, but here goes.

I understand the TL requires a Bluetooth phone with the Bluetooth handsfree profile (and not just the headset)

I am currently using a Sony Ericsson p900 which only has the Bluetooth headset profile (hence it wont work with my car), but works great with Bluetooth headsets. (I am anxiously awaiting the introduction of the Motorola MPX220 in the next month or two, which will have both Bluetooth profiles).

I am curious, though, in terms of functionality (independent of my car!), what is the difference between a phone equipped with a headset vs the handsfree profile? i.e., what can the Hands-free profile do that the Headst profile cant?

Old 07-14-2004, 12:34 PM
4th Gear

HFL is like a remote control function for your cell phone. You can place calls over the remote, answer them, display incoming call ID, talk and listen over the connection, display battery level and reception bars (ideally). I believe your headphone wireless just allows you to talk and listen to a connected call.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

HFL with BT headphone?

Here's one: is it possible to use both the TL's HFL and also a bluetooth headphone at the same time? I realize that the TL allows you to talk and listen without a headphone, but some people have complained about wind noise heard by the person they are talking to. If you use a headphone to hold a clear (wind-noise free) conversation and the TL's HFL to answer and make calls, display caller ID, etc., it might ebe the best of both worlds. Can this be done?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:13 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it can be done but you'll have to transfer the call to phone and back to TL to talk with the headset. Also, the BT can connect to only onve device at a time, I think. So either headset or TL not both at the same time.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with joganjani. No matter what you're using (Bluetooth Headset or regular headset or phone), you cannot use them unless transferring back to your cellular phone from TL's HFL system.

BTW, RGHessel, this is never the OT. Also, P800/900 isn't working with TL yet. Let's see if SE will come out the new firmware to upgrade these phones.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey RG -- are you positive the MPx will support Hands Free? I have been trying to get my hands on one here at Microsoft, but their still pretty closeted. I asked my motorola contact and he didn't know yet; so.... frustrating.... If you're sure, I can hold off on getting a phone since I'll probably get one here to play with.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Auto-Erotic

My MyIrahd --
I have a close contact who works at Motorola in their cell phone division. According to him, both the 220 and the MPx will support the Hands Free profile. Next Thursday I'll be at an (unrelated) function and he's going to bring both the Mpx and the Mpx220 for me to take a look at. (I feel so important!). I'll be sure to confirm the HF profile at that time...
Old 07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhead
HFL is like a remote control function for your cell phone. You can place calls over the remote, answer them, display incoming call ID, talk and listen over the connection, display battery level and reception bars (ideally). I believe your headphone wireless just allows you to talk and listen to a connected call.
I know there are differences but I don't think your explanation is precisely correct. I have a bluetooth Motorola headset which works very well with my my Sony T616. I know that you can do a few remote control type things with the headset. For example you can access the voice control on the phone to dial numbers you have voice profiles for. You simply press the button on the headset and wait for a beep and then say the name. You can also switch between incoming calls if you have call waiting.

I think they are just different profiles designed to do different things. I suspect the HFL is the more sophisticated of the two and does more. This would explain why it is not on early bluetooth phones.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
8th Gear

BT Headset in TL

Originally Posted by wheelhead
Here's one: is it possible to use both the TL's HFL and also a bluetooth headphone at the same time? I realize that the TL allows you to talk and listen without a headphone, but some people have complained about wind noise heard by the person they are talking to. If you use a headphone to hold a clear (wind-noise free) conversation and the TL's HFL to answer and make calls, display caller ID, etc., it might ebe the best of both worlds. Can this be done?
I've got a BT headset, and indeed, it cannot work while the TL is "connected" to your phone via BT. If I want to use the BT headset, I have to transfer the call to the headset once I've dialed.

I have been able to use a wired headset with the phone while maintaining the connection w/ the TL, however.