THE definitive iPod thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
I have the Garmin iTrip - it's terrific (far better than anything else).
The iTrip is just another wireless FM transmitter that's killed by the FCC's strength edict.

Only the wired solutions are "far better than anything else".
Old 04-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
. When you crank the ipod it just distorts. Maybe they should get their hands on some of that iriver "funky signal processing"
Anything just above 1/2 volume or so distorts on my iPod.
But I'm told that if you use the output on the docking station its a cleaner signal than what comes out of the headphone jack. In some ways it makes sense and in other ways it sounds silly.

I have yet to do a direct comparison for myself though.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Boltjames,

You wrote:

---
Alpine makes our navi units. Alpine is a big supporter of iPod compatibility in its head units. Alpine is supposedly working on harnesses for OEM head units they've manufactured for the big auto companies. Eventually, it is likely that they'll come out with a plug 'n play harness that'll let you emulate iTunes on your navi screen. Folders, ID3 tags, playlists, the works. OTOH, there is currently NO solution for ANY navi unit that uses the XM radio in the vacant input slot to accommodate another input source.
---

Just wondering...

If Alpine makes the kind of unit you describe down the road, is it likely that it would support other MP3 players, through a headphone type jack? I ask because I just bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox for my girlfriend, and would not mind waiting for a solution better than a hard-wired FM modulator. (It's not that important for me to be able to have her MP3 player in my car anyway, since I have XM radio.)

Based on your posts, I am considering a hard-wired FM modulator, but it sounds like a direct connection would still be better quality, so if one should be coming along the pike eventually, I may just wait for it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Andy W.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Andyw2100
Boltjames,

You wrote:

---
Alpine makes our navi units. Alpine is a big supporter of iPod compatibility in its head units. Alpine is supposedly working on harnesses for OEM head units they've manufactured for the big auto companies. Eventually, it is likely that they'll come out with a plug 'n play harness that'll let you emulate iTunes on your navi screen. Folders, ID3 tags, playlists, the works. OTOH, there is currently NO solution for ANY navi unit that uses the XM radio in the vacant input slot to accommodate another input source.
---

Just wondering...

If Alpine makes the kind of unit you describe down the road, is it likely that it would support other MP3 players, through a headphone type jack? I ask because I just bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox for my girlfriend, and would not mind waiting for a solution better than a hard-wired FM modulator. (It's not that important for me to be able to have her MP3 player in my car anyway, since I have XM radio.)

Based on your posts, I am considering a hard-wired FM modulator, but it sounds like a direct connection would still be better quality, so if one should be coming along the pike eventually, I may just wait for it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Andy W.
Andy:

Nope, don't wait for Nomad integration as it's not even on the Alpine horizon. They've signed a deal with Apple for iPod's and nothing else. While there will be harnesses that may act as an aux input, the ability to navigate folders and see the ID tags won't be there. Additionally, all signs point to harnesses that disable the XM radio in order to get you the aux input...

The reality check: At speed, you really won't hear much of an audible difference for 128kbps MP3's via the aux method or the hard-wired FM modulator method. Therefore, don't wait......go get the wired FM mod installed and call it a day.

BJ
Old 04-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply, BJ. I appreciate it!
Andy W.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for your very informative posts, BJ! Right now I use an iTrip for my 3G iPod. Here in Cleveland, 87.9 is an essentially free frequency betweeen my home and the 20 miles into downtown. I found that encoding my music at 192 kHz improves the sound somewhat, as well as topping off the battery power before using the iPod in the car (volume is MUCH lower when the battery indicator is less than 1/2).

I will definitely have to look into the wired FM modulator option!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks for your very informative posts, BJ! Right now I use an iTrip for my 3G iPod. Here in Cleveland, 87.9 is an essentially free frequency betweeen my home and the 20 miles into downtown. I found that encoding my music at 192 kHz improves the sound somewhat, as well as topping off the battery power before using the iPod in the car (volume is MUCH lower when the battery indicator is less than 1/2).

I will definitely have to look into the wired FM modulator option!
Thanks for the support, neuron. Funny as it sounds, I've got over 4,000 MP3's and if about a month ago you told me I'd be spending 98% of my listening time in my new car on XM Radio I'd tell you you were crazy! I'm in no rush on the MP3 thing due to my XM love, so I'm going to wait awhile.

The hard-wired FM modulator is really the only way to go for decent fidelity, so look into it...

BJ
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

What about this one? http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/HO...d_0_p_200.html

I got email from them telling me that it works with the TL 2004. Anyone have this or bought to try it out?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the iPod sound compared to FM radio, XM radio, and a basic CD. I'd like to use my iPod in the TL, but I'm worried that after spending the money for the wired FM Modulator, I'm going to end up with sound that is worse than FM or XM. If the iPod sounded at least as good as a good FM station, I might go for it. I burn my iPod with high quality bit-rate, and use Etymotic ER-4P earphones, and get excellent quality sound from that setup, but I'm leery of the sound quality running thru a FM Modulator. Any comparisons would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Advanced

I installed a Blitzsafe adaptor to use my dell DJ and the output is so much lower than the tape adaptor I was using .. has anyone experienced this..thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Instructor

To be honest, I've had no problems with the cassette deck unit. Here are some additional considerations before dismissing it altogether:

1. We're talking about playing MP3 in a car. Neither of these is exactly audiophile heaven to begin with. The fact that you're trying to do this means that you're not looking for the highest possible sound quality. But the truth is, except for a little hiss that I was able to manage with the equalizer, the sound quality's more like B+ than D+ -- assuming that a hardwired signal would be A+ and a hardwired FM modulator would be an A.

2. Complete car adapter kits with cassette cost $20. If you can afford a $30K car, you can afford to try one of these before forming your own conclusion, and you can take it back to Walmart if it doesn't cut the mustard.

3. My biggest complaint has been the wiring, actually. I'd just as soon not have the wires hanging out of my cassette deck.

I just found a similar post in the thread by leeherman. I'd have to agree that my experience with these things has been similar to his. Like I said, I recommend trying the cassette solution and deciding for yourself.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
BJ - great explanation and review.

I use the Garmin iTrip and it does a pretty good job (can get tricky when you're in an area with a lot of radio stations). I also have a tape adapter.

If you're willing to spend $80, Griffin now has the RoadTrip all-in-one device(http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/):

===

Note that I just went out and bought the iGo AutoPower (http://www.igo.com/Product_Detail.as...=MOB+PS0221-10) which can power both my iPod and cell phone (albeit separately). They have a more expensive product which can do both at the same time.

===

Thanks to neuronbob for the iGo tip (http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=2)

-josh
Old 08-15-2004, 09:58 AM
JBM
Intermediate

iPods in cars . . .

Well, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I agree that the FM modulator is the best thing for now. You don't sacrifice any of your factory gadgets.

I don't think Alpine will be doing much for the TL though. The software for the unit is Alpine-originated, but the hardware is pure Panasonic. The AI-link that the announced Alpine iPod integration unit requires is sadly missing on the TL.

BlitzSafe was supposed to have a solution by now, but so far nothing.

If you want to use an FM transmitter, the best for your money at this moment is the iTrip by Griffin Technology. It integrates seemlessly with the iPod. However, there is a battery drain with it. The next option would be Griffin's soon to be released Roadtrip, which plugs into the dock connector of the 3G, 4G iPod or mini. This device will provide FM transmission, but also charge the iPod through a stalk that plugs into the power adaptor. The other new feature is that it will have an external digital display showing the current FM broadcast. You can see it on their website at http://www.griffintechnology.com

Just thought I'd chime in . . .

P.S. In terms of "sound quality"there is no differnce between the iRiver and the iPod. The tech stats are the same. The 4G iPod actually now sounds better because it uses the newest sound chip from Wolfsen Microelectronics, which far surpasses anything out there.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Red line...use it

Originally Posted by JetJock
How does the iPod sound compared to FM radio, XM radio, and a basic CD. I'd like to use my iPod in the TL, but I'm worried that after spending the money for the wired FM Modulator, I'm going to end up with sound that is worse than FM or XM. If the iPod sounded at least as good as a good FM station, I might go for it. I burn my iPod with high quality bit-rate, and use Etymotic ER-4P earphones, and get excellent quality sound from that setup, but I'm leery of the sound quality running thru a FM Modulator. Any comparisons would be appreciated.

No one answered this. I had the same question. I would think that a FM method (wired or wireless) would still cut the frequency to 15KHz just like all FM. The Cassette could go higher, but that only happened with the dolby engaged, but that still would only go up to maybe 18KHz?? Then you still have the wow and flutter that bolt talked about. The CD would be the best. I have not heard a review of the XM. Does anyone know the frequency response of XM?

Another note of MP3 recordings. There is always a tradeoff between size, compression and sound quality. When some says the iRiver is better than the iPod, they better be using the exact same file. I have no idea what the freq response of the head phones people use or the quality of the recordings, but there are many many variables to the sound quality here. It would be difficult to have apple to apple comparison over the 'net on a forum.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by JBM
Just thought I'd chime in . . .
P.S. In terms of "sound quality"there is no differnce between the iRiver and the iPod. The tech stats are the same. The 4G iPod actually now sounds better because it uses the newest sound chip from Wolfsen Microelectronics, which far surpasses anything out there.
JBM---you are incorrect here. The Iriver IHP-120 blows the IPOD out of the water in terms of sound quality. I have owned both of them and there is no comparison between the two.
I have compared same files, same headphones on the players.
IPOD is a cooler looking player and a tad easier to navigate but thats where it ends. Anyone who doesnt believe me can go to best buy, buy both players and keep the one they like better. The stats on how many watts per channel is misleading...let your ears be the judge. Iriver also has about double the battery life. There is not one person who does not already own an IPOD that will say the sound is comparable. Thats like saying the TSX interior is "comparable" to the TL...
Old 08-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced

guys....
I have a 2003 3.2 TL with Nav. Everyone told me that i didnt have the 14 pin aux input at the back of my audio. but u know what...it does. i removed the head unit and found out that it has an unused plug..i went ahead and bought the Blitzsafe adapter(which is much better than FM transmitter, casette adapter and FM modulator). it is basically hardwired to your audio thru RCA cables. I was told by everyone that since i have Nav..my nav is plugged into that 14 pin plug..but they were wrong. its NOT. I guess they just wanted to me to sell their product. The head unit is built by Pioneer and i guess a company like that can't make a mistake of not providing CD changer port(aux). anyways, there is a quick and easy way to find out. just remove the passenger side wood drim, and the side plastic panel and reach at the back of the radio. you should be able to feel the CD changer port, thats where the blitzsafe adapter gets plugged into. infact u also might be able to hook up that adapter without spending too much money and do it urself. Dont open the whole console..u will have big problems. i already screwed up a few things. mind u, i have the in dash 6 CD changer, still it has that port. So dont be fooled by others, check for yourself.
enjoy
Old 08-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by anil1203
guys....
I have a 2003 3.2 TL with Nav. Everyone told me that i didnt have the 14 pin aux input at the back of my audio. but u know what...it does. i removed the head unit and found out that it has an unused plug..i went ahead and bought the Blitzsafe adapter(which is much better than FM transmitter, casette adapter and FM modulator). it is basically hardwired to your audio thru RCA cables. I was told by everyone that since i have Nav..my nav is plugged into that 14 pin plug..but they were wrong. its NOT. I guess they just wanted to me to sell their product. The head unit is built by Pioneer and i guess a company like that can't make a mistake of not providing CD changer port(aux). anyways, there is a quick and easy way to find out. just remove the passenger side wood drim, and the side plastic panel and reach at the back of the radio. you should be able to feel the CD changer port, thats where the blitzsafe adapter gets plugged into. infact u also might be able to hook up that adapter without spending too much money and do it urself. Dont open the whole console..u will have big problems. i already screwed up a few things. mind u, i have the in dash 6 CD changer, still it has that port. So dont be fooled by others, check for yourself.
enjoy
We're talking about the 2004 TL here. It is 100% factual that:

1. The head unit is made by Panasonic, not Pioneer.

2. The nav is made by Alpine.

3. You can use the XM radio slot at an input for an iPod, but you lose XM radio completely.

4. The CD changer is integrated in the dash unit and has no such port as on the '03.

5. Blitzsafe and others are working on harnesses to address #1 to #4 above.

6. No '04 owner should attempt to rip apart their dash to prove what we already know to be accurate.

BJ
Old 08-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JBM
And now you have hit on what actually makes a MP3 file sound better or worse. It is the chip (the DAC, digital to analog converter) that makes the difference.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by spyfish007
And now you have hit on what actually makes a MP3 file sound better or worse. It is the chip (the DAC, digital to analog converter) that makes the difference.
No doubt that this is true if you're wearing a $500 pair of Senheiser's in a soundproof room.

In an Acura TL at 70 mph, there's no way you can hear the difference between an iPod, an iRiver, XM, a CD, or a DVD-A.

In the end, this is all about accessibility, capacity, and convenience. It's not about sound quality. You invest in a harness or modulator setup because you want all your tunes at your fingertips. How well they sound, in that environment, is immaterial.

BJ
Old 08-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
No doubt that this is true if you're wearing a $500 pair of Senheiser's in a soundproof room.

In an Acura TL at 70 mph, there's no way you can hear the difference between an iPod, an iRiver, XM, a CD, or a DVD-A.

In the end, this is all about accessibility, capacity, and convenience. It's not about sound quality. You invest in a harness or modulator setup because you want all your tunes at your fingertips. How well they sound, in that environment, is immaterial.

BJ
Great point!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
You are not always driving at 70 mph...and I can hear a big difference between my dvd-a and my xm radio. Even at 70 mph......just my preference. Im just trying to point out to people who are looking for the ultimate sound that the iriver is much better than the ipod. And make no mistake if people here werent looking for the best sound then why would anyone shell out 20 bucks for a dvd-a?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Advanced

well, I just installed the blitzsafe adapter on 2003 TL and it works great. better than FM transmitter/modulator or tape. I think for 2004 guys it will be pretty much same, just that u will have to have an adapter with a switch, that can switch between your ipod and XM radio. I have seen such available in the market. Aside from this, i thought it would be worthwhile mentioning this thought here: I bought an Iriver 20 G player from compusa with a 2 yr replacement plan of 60 bucks. my iriver died and they gave me $399 gift card, meaning i can buy now a 40 G ipod. kinda cool. Best buy plans are cheaper $39 for 2 yrs for a 20 G ipod and $39 for 4 yrs for 40 G ipod. Well to make it short, this means that you can own the ipod for $20 per year if u take the plan, otherwise, to make a purchase of $400 without 2 yr plan cheaper, you will have to use that ipod for at least 20 yrs. So what better? A new player every 2 yrs(remember the cost of mp3 players will always go down...gradually thought) and u get latest version every other year....or owning an ipod for 20 yrs for the same cost? Am I making sense here.
I am stuck with so my cost of owning ipod will be $30 per year unless they have reduced the cost of their plan...but some of you...might want to consider best buy over compusa.
Enjoy
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames

BJ
Not saying I agree or disagree with you as it is not the point I was trying to make. The point I was trying to make was based off the earlier comment about MP3 files & hard disks being the same so it should all sound the same. Well the DAC is what makes the difference. Now whether or not you or I can tell the difference or if we are driving 70 mph and have a 60 dB noise floor is an entirely different debate that is completely up to each person.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Advanced

well I owned Iriver for about 6 months and now i m onto ipod as compusa stopped purchasing iriver players. actually it was kinda good coz i always wished for ipod coz it looks so cool. here is what i experienced about both players in my 3.2 TL. As far as the sound quality goes, both are pretty much same with a variety of equalizers to suit one's preference. I think the big difference is the interface. With Iriver i had no trouble copying my files and managing them on the player coz it was based on the same explorer file folder concept. u can have folders within folders. so u can mimic ur windows explorer with iriver. With ipod, there is a big problem. U can have all the albums under root only but not one under the other. and when i installed the iTunes, it basically imported all songs in its own way and now i have to re organize my music files, their album name, genre and all the crap. Could be a good thing in the long run, but as of now its painful.
But I think LCD is where ipod is the real winner. letters are visible almost from Every angle and LCD is very bright. Also Ipod keeps it simple. Not a whole lot of information, just a clock, timer bar and song name, folder name. so your whole screen looks really clean and u can read easily. iriver on the other hand, is too clumsy.
The good thing about iriver is though, u have the option of keeping backlight on while its connected to battery, so in the Car if its on charger LCD is always bright. With ipod u have select the timer.
Now the good thing about ipod is, I bought belkin power adapter with an audio jack into it. put it in my center arm and plugged my blitzsafe adapter jack into it. Everything is hidden in the center arm console and only thing out is ipod on cup holder and a single wire thru cup holders that powers it and can get audio from. When I turn my Car off, it assumes that no one is listening since the main power adapter is turned off, it pauses the player. In iriver u have to everytime pause your player.
The click wheel on ipod is great and innovative, but so was the stick on iriver. Both serve basically same functionality, but having to use buttons on the side or iriver was kinda irritating, but u get used to it.
So right now i m just taking my time to get used to my new Ipod. I guess its a trade off, but in the end both are great players. Consider them like choosing between Japanese and European car. One is technically full proof other just beats the looks and appeal.

I hope i was being helpful to ppl sturgling to make their minds between ipod and iriver.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Instructor

I like the cassette adapter a lot more than FM modulator

People seem to be making some stuff up about this without really knowing.

There is some hiss, but most of the hiss in playback comes from the TAPE -- there is no actual tape in an adapter.

Same with wow-and-flutter. That is caused by fluctations in the drive motor speed. Since the audio signal is coming from the iPod, it is not going to be affected by these fluctations.

And as far as confusing auto-reverse decks, that's not true either. Most decent adapters fully emulate a real cassette (ie, keep both spindles moving at all times).

FM modulators, to my ear, have more hiss. FM has very, very bad stereo separaration.

Neither is good, but my vote is for a cassette adapter.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

how can anyone recommend any of the FM adapters and then rcomment on the cassette option for sound quality?

last i listened, cassettes are higher quality than FM radio...

...and no matter how you hook up your iPod, youre going to have wires hanging out somewhere...
Old 08-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Advanced

i think somebody already gave a good comparison for different adapter...its here again.
Blitzsafe adapter>Tape adapter(life 2 months)>FM modulator(hard wired but with interference)>FM wireless trasmitter(belkin or iTrip or similar).
Bottom line, Blitzsafe or Icelink are the best solution, very good sound quality, no hidden wires, ease of operation.

Enjoy
Old 08-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Advanced

i think somebody already gave a good comparison for different adapter...its here again.
Blitzsafe adapter>Tape adapter(life 2 months)>FM modulator(hard wired but with interference)>FM wireless trasmitter(belkin or iTrip or similar).
Bottom line, Blitzsafe or Icelink are the best solution, very good sound quality, hidden wires, ease of operation.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 AM
8th Gear

boltjames, I have a question for you. I think anyone who has spent much time on these forums can attest that you are one of the most knowledgeable members we have with regards to the audio system of the TL. You've recapped the current aux-in options for the 04 many different times, always ranking in the order of Wired FM -> Wireless FM -> tape adapter.

Why do you never address what Coastlvr, groper, and others have done - tape into the XM line outs in the trunk and wire a switch up front to toggle between XM and the line-in. This avoids the 15Khz cutoff of FM (wired or wireless) and acts as a true line-in. The only negative is having to mount and use a toggle switch up front, but just flipping a switch doesn't seem like a big deal to me, as you'd have to hit a button to switch to the line-in even if Alpine or Blitzsafe come out with their adapters; the button would just be one of the factory dash buttons rather than an aftermarket switch.

I don't claim to be too much of an audio expert, I'm just trying to piece together the public knowledge from this forum. Am I missing something as to why you seem to prefer the wired FM over tapping into the XM lines?