DAVIDNAVONE 4 Channel LOC Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
DAVIDNAVONE 4 Channel LOC Help Please

Ok...here's my issue...when the LOC's outputs knobs are anywhere above "off" (furthest to the left from 10V output) I get static on the speakers...I've tried lowering input in conjunction to raising the gain on the amp to the point of having that amp at max gain to keep the LOC as low as possible...but it's still there.

It mimics engine revs and can be heard thru my bluetooth by the other person as a "hurricane of wind"...obviously feedback. It is mainly noticeable using bluetooth since there is no music to hide the noise..."0" volume or car off w/radio on produces NO feedback. Power wire is run from one side of the car and both rca's and front speaker wire on the other. Stock amp is connected and powering the center channel but all other speaker lines are cut and run to the DAVIDNAVONE LOC.

Is there something about that LOC I don't understand? Am I supposed to ground it? There isn't a grounding point wire or anything. I have a cheaper LOC in the rear from the sub but that seems to be uninvolved in my issue.

Any ideas? Monday I will give them a call...maybe a resistor went bad? I've had it for 6 months and don't recall it being annoying like it has been for the last few weeks.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM

Anybody?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
wassup man! long time no chat! Anyways, everytime I have issues like this I use a ground loop isolator and attach it to any wire that is getting power. You can get them cheap from www.skycraft.com .. usually these are enough.. I would put at least 1 around each wire with power..
Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
^^lol what kind of weblink is that??
Old 09-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey RJ...thank you for the info! I'm wondering where I'd install it since the LOC is only getting speaker wires in and out and really not being powered...the unit itself has what looks like 4 capacitors and they up the power to 10V output potentially...it gets worse when I increase from off to a few Volts just to give the amp signal. I wonder...maybe the unit went bad?!? Hopefully they'll warranty it if it did. Also, the think didn't work. Thanks for trying though.

J.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey RJ...thank you for the info! I'm wondering where I'd install it since the LOC is only getting speaker wires in and out and really not being powered...the unit itself has what looks like 4 capacitors and they up the power to 10V output potentially...it gets worse when I increase from off to a few Volts just to give the amp signal. I wonder...maybe the unit went bad?!? Hopefully they'll warranty it if it did. Also, the think didn't work. Thanks for trying though.

J.
usually if your distortion gets worse when you put a load on the motor (like when you accelerate)..the ground loop isolators work in helping reduce the "noise" .. But, usually you use it on the power signal wires.. I would still try them since they can be had for about .50 each.

oh yah.. I linked the wrong site .. lol .. my bad I was posting from my blackberry and was in a hurry and didnt check the link..

here is the link to the correct store (this is the coolest store ever.. it is the ultimate DIY store.. if you guys are close to orlando, I would suggest passing by just to see if you need anything):
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index...S&Category=318

They do not have the ground loop isolators on their site, but if you call them I am sure they can send it to you. Or I can bring some down with me next time I am down south. I will be back down on 10/3 .. thats if you havent ripped this thing out of your car and installed a new one..
Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A couple of questions,

Is the noise coming from all speakers or just one? Disconnect one RCA at a time to see if you can isolate the noise.

How did you connect the LOC to the OEM speaker wire? Solder and shrink tube? You maybe getting some leakage.

I had the Navone LOC NE-774V. Sometimes I fiddled with the 4 thingys (technical term) and was able to induce some noise. Maybe it's a defective one.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM

^^^Thank you RJ...and King of Pain for the tips.

Very nice offer and NO...didn't rip it all out yet (almost though...lol)...DID realize I had reduced the output of the LOC on the front driver side speaker to the point of eliminating and real sound from it....and also found a bad connection to the rear driver side speaker. Got those fixed but I still have the feedback. Speaker wires to the LOC were connected using t-taps...not soddering...although since I didn't always have the problem, and am getting the feedback from ALL the speakers...I don't think this is the issue.
Yes, I am getting if from all speakers (except subs, of course). I fiddled with the "thingy's" one at a time and can get rid of the sound with each turn of the output knob (thingy)...if I turn the signal to "nothing" or zero...feedback goes. If I unplug the RCA's it eliminates the sounds one at a time so they ALL must be producing it which is what led me to believe it was the LOC.

Also. Does anyone know what is better...a higher output from the LOC and lower gain on the amp? To TRY and make this issue less noticeable I've turned my gains to all the way up and individually increased the LOC outputs (thingys) until sound came out as desired.

Maybe a bad unit...I don't remember there being feedback this whole time...so I'm thinking something happened from one day to the next.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

bump...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM

Ok...so called David and he said to turn the gain on the LOC all the way up and turn down the amp. I don't think that made a significant improvement...I ended up running a second ground wire to the amp since it's running off a ground block to two amps. That seemed to have helped a little bit...def not as annoying as it once was. Have to call my GF on the bluetooth to see if that improved at all. I can live with a LITTLE feedback, I guess it's the nature of the beast when you're running some power.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you grounding the amps?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:26 AM

The main ground was where something else was already grounded...if you're looking forward in the car from the trunk it's a little to the left of center where the wall splits the trunk from the backseats. The ground I added is near the amp that seems to be giving feedback (the mids and highs amp) using one of the twist knobs' locations...I sanded down the paint and put one there.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Ok...so after calling David and upping the output from the LOC to max and lowering the gain on the amp, I can say that it still is giving me the feedback. It DOES NOT give it I switch the amp over to LPF...only on HPF and Full. It does feedback from the engine.

I regrounded and sanded the paint and everything...but can't pinpoint the problem. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how old is the vehicle...year...mileage...how old is the battery? a battery is your very first power filter on your vehicle....check all cables for corrioson...did you test your alternator? take a mulitmeter and set it to AC voltage and see if you have ac voltage coming off of the Alternator....this test's for AC ripple...check all of these...than repost your findings...

-Jason
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 AM

It is a 2004 TL. I would guess the battery is less than 2 years old...and I have a capacitor 1.0 farad that is 4 years old. I have a multimeter...but admittedly don't know how to use it. You think the alternator could be generating the sound? Where on it do I touch with the tester to get a reading?

Also...I hope I'm describing it properly...it's maybe not feedback...it sounds like white noise like when an amp is turned way up but no input is being given.