Crutchfield Interviews Elliot Scheiner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crutchfield Interviews Elliot Scheiner

Crutchfield has a pretty decent interview on their website... They mention the TL several times. I appologize if this is a repost, I did a search and came up empty.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ne...619102&c=UL610
Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Great article. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by wdoran
Crutchfield has a pretty decent interview on their website... They mention the TL several times. I appologize if this is a repost, I did a search and came up empty.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ne...619102&c=UL610
Thanks. I hadn't read that before.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:33 PM
someone elses Avatar?????

Isn't this a MB though, you would think they would post a picture of a TL

:sqntfawk: CF
Old 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good article. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:03 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

One interesting point I took from the interview is that ES had really NOTHING to do with the design of the Acura TL sound system.

Quote: “The design had been predetermined before I got there

IMO, the ELS is mostly branding and hype. This is a stock Panasonic system.

And yes, that looks like an MB to me also; which is ridiculous since the image is inserted into a part of the interview where they are discussing the Acura.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
ELS may not have been involved in the design, but I'm sure he had to tune the system to his standards. Otherwise, I agree that ELS is branding and hype. It worked on me. Actually, I just wanted to get away from the "Blose" system of the 2G TL.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:24 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really care for the naming of the radio. ELS or Panasonic doesn't matter to me. It's only when the sales lady at the auto show used the demo disc and played track 3 (CD quality) and then Track 5 (DVD 5.1) that I was blown away.

I looked at her and said: "This is the stock radio in the car you want to sell me?"

She responded: "Yes"

I replied jokingly: "I love you".
Old 07-21-2004, 04:26 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by neuronbob
ELS may not have been involved in the design, but I'm sure he had to tune the system to his standards. Otherwise, I agree that ELS is branding and hype. It worked on me. Actually, I just wanted to get away from the "Blose" system of the 2G TL.
Read it again - he did not tune anything:

Quote: so my job was to see what it was going to sound like: the tuning and levels
Since that time, ... I've gotten a little more involved with where we should have speakers, and more overall 'stuff.'

SEEING what it sounds like is different than actually making changes or having input in the design, speaker placement, etc. In order to tune a system, you would have to alter the electronics and/or speakers.

OMG - We spent all that money on a stock panasonic system. I could have just gone to WalMart and saved a fortune!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
From page 1 of the article: "...Elliot has put his stamp of approval on the Panasonic DVD-Audio system that now comes standard on the Acura TL, personally tuning the sound system in the vehicle. When I called, he was driving into Manhattan in his Acura TL, of course..." Either he did tune/tweak the system or the article's chock full of contradictions.

I'm with neuronbob. Marketing hype or not, I'm sold. I don't care what you call it as long as it sounds good...and most high and mighty Bose systems don't.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by planman
From page 1 of the article: "...Elliot has put his stamp of approval on the Panasonic DVD-Audio system that now comes standard on the Acura TL, personally tuning the sound system in the vehicle. When I called, he was driving into Manhattan in his Acura TL, of course..." Either he did tune/tweak the system or the article's chock full of contradictions.

I'm with neuronbob. Marketing hype or not, I'm sold. I don't care what you call it as long as it sounds good...and most high and mighty Bose systems don't.
I could not, in good faith, question your appreciation for the system. My point simply is this:

ES had nothing to do with the design or construction of the system. Unless he was misquoted, those are his words. The quote you have taken from the article are the words of the article’s author, not ES.

I have no doubt that he sold his “stamp of approval”. I see his initials on my dashboard just like everyone else.

IMO – the Acura sales pitch is misleading on this subject.

OK, I’m off my soapbox now. I think I’ll go take a drive and listen to Fleetwood Mac in 5.1 surround.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You have a good point, yano--he didn't design the system, as he says. But he says that he used a George Massenburg-mixed Linda Ronstadt disc to tune the Acura system.

In any case, I like the points made about acceptance (or lack therof) of 5.1 music. Within two months of purchasing my TL, I had a real surround sound system in my house. I decided that music could not sound that good in the car without having complementary equipment in the house. I've had an Onix Rocket ELT (Extremely Luscious Theater) system in my house for several months, and am having fun tweaking it for DVD-A. Awaiting a universal player, though!