Crackle in the Navi system

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Crackle in the Navi system

Ok i know i am a noob to begin with.
But i have an 04 WDP 5AT that i just got a couple months ago. It has the factory navigation system. The voice feature on the system is practially useless for the navi. When I type in a destination, the front center speaker comes on as if it were about to say, turn left in 3 miles, but instead it just crackles like there is a horrible connection. Everything else in the car works fine in terms of electronics. Bluetooth is fine. But it can not say anything back from the navi. It will also crackle if i press the voice buttons for the navi on the steering wheel.
The only other symptom is that the whole navigation system will reset itself at any given time when i am just driving down the road. It will cycle through the startup process saying Acura navigation with the OK button following.
The system works fine otherwise.

I know this may seem very unclear. Let me know if there is anything else i can do to clear this up a little. Thanks for helping a noob.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Racer

bump for an old problem that is still not fixed:/
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
There's good news and bad news.

The Bad: It's your navi drive failing and it's about 3,000 dollars for a new one.

The GOOD!

You can send in the dvd drive to alpine and they will fix ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING on it for 200 dollars. They take a bit of time to fix it up but it works well! Just search ALPINE here and you'll pull up a few threads in the 3G TL area on folks sending it in.

Also a few members have said that if you leave your old disk in the drive that they will send it with a new one, or return it to you without a disk and you just call them and tell them the unit was sent in with a disk and came back without one! FYI the disk's MSRP is 185 dollars!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
ooooo my buddy has this same problem. i'll tell him to do that
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
There's good news and bad news.

The Bad: It's your navi drive failing and it's about 3,000 dollars for a new one.

The GOOD!

You can send in the dvd drive to alpine and they will fix ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING on it for 200 dollars. They take a bit of time to fix it up but it works well! Just search ALPINE here and you'll pull up a few threads in the 3G TL area on folks sending it in.

Also a few members have said that if you leave your old disk in the drive that they will send it with a new one, or return it to you without a disk and you just call them and tell them the unit was sent in with a disk and came back without one! FYI the disk's MSRP is 185 dollars!

I would love a new disk, so that does sound great! But can you specify more on what you mean by the navi drive failing versue the dvd drive failing? Obviously the dvd drive is the one in the back of the car and it sends info to the navi system, duh, but how would fixing that fix a 3,000 dollar navi drive? Does fixing the dvd drive help the navigation? T
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Does your bluetooth lady sound ok?

I had this problem when I converted and it was either the connection to the audio head unit or the connection of the navi to the HFL unit. I can't remember exactly.

I think it was the HFL because it has the ability to mute the audio and send the voice to the center channel.

Last edited by KN_TL; 07-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Does your bluetooth lady sound ok?

I had this problem when I converted and it was either the connection to the audio head unit or the connection of the navi to the HFL unit. I can't remember exactly.

I think it was the HFL because it has the ability to mute the audio and send the voice to the center channel.
Bluetooth lady is still sweet talkin me just fine. So you think it could just be a connection, say behind the dash and navi screen? Not the dvd drive in the trunk?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Unless you've had work done recently on either the head unit or HFL, it is unlikely that it's a connection.

The connection to the HFL unit is really easy to access so you could check that one out.

If it were the connection to the head unit, then bluetooth babe would be bad too.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Racer

Update: All the connections were fine. So i decided to send the DVD drive to alpine for a repair. I read through these two threads, and I can almost certainly conclude that this will fix it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=alpine

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=alpine

and its on its way. I now see im not the only one with this problem. But it is $158 for the repair (hopefully with a new updated disk ) plus $13 to ship it to cali. Im in GA. Of course its far away... But I will post updates (if i remember) of when they recieve it, and when they send it back if they provide me with a tracking number. I asked for one in the note. Its only .80 cents...

The only notable info other than where to send it, and what to send with it is that the navi screen will not power on anymore with the unit out. The screen above the navigation, with the climate control and current audio status, will only display climate control info. No radio settings can be accessed either (bass, treble, SUB!!!
The HFL works fine, as well as the climate control. Oh and you can still work the radio, but blindly. So leave it on your favorite station when you take the DVD drive out.

Thanks for the help, having them repair it should fix the static. But ill let you all know!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Racer

Alpine recieved it today. From GA to CALI. I shipped via usps snail mail on Tuesday afternoon.

Will post updates if i hear anything from them such as an email.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Racer

All right!! So long story short, i got it back and it works. If you have a couple min, read on.

So they received the drive on August 1st, a Monday. It took them about three business days for them to even get to it and look at it. I called to check the status about 3 or 4 times total, or about every week. They told me that the repair was on hold for a part and it would take 7-10 days for them to receive the part they needed. Why they don't stock it, i dont know but lets not make this that sort of thread. So they received the part in about 8 business days, did the repair within the next two days, and i "received" it at my house on August 23. I'm in college and I'm about an hour from home so i didn't go get it until that Saturday the 27th. I installed it that day and was so excited to hear my navigation lady talk dirty to me, but it didn't work. It said searching for GPS signal and blah blah blah. We have all seen it before. So i moved it out in the open and it still didn't work. Disconnected the battery for 30 min like it said and still no signal. So today after still no luck i went and looked at the unit and discovered i did not plug back in the small black connector that is located on the opposite side of the 4, yes 4 other connector points. I plugged it in, and within 5 minutes, bam. It located me perfectly. I know, im an idiot.

Now to recap, my problem was that the voice feature was, well to state it shortly, broken. Also the whole unit would reboot itself randomly when i was just driving down the road. Not even when I hit a bump, or an unsteady road. Just completely random. Now the voice feature works great! And it has yet to restart itself on random.

I am almost 100% satisfied except that i didn't get a new disc. So many people here on A-Zine told how they received a new updated map version. I still got an original 3.30. The 2004 version. Oh well. Wishful thinking.

So if you have any of the problems I had, or any other problems, do a little research and send your unit in. It may be a month wait, but it is worth it.
Another step complete in making my car as best as it can be.

Thanks for all the help!!!
The following users liked this post:
atrac7 (09-04-2011)