Confused and disapointed =[[[[[ Helppp speakers POLK

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confused and disapointed =[[[[[ Helppp speakers POLK

soo previously i had infinity reference 1031t tweeters and db651s in the front with out an amp. well i started doing my project tonight and i replaced the tweeters and the speakers with the polk db6501 component set =[ (still withoutamp) well i decided to test it and the speakers seemed fine but the tweeters were HORRIBLE =[ whats going on?!!? the refference were so much better =[ also what im confused about is this
12 Volt DC: ----------------- White
Remote Turn on(input) ---------------- Red/ Yellow
Left Front ---------- Lt. Green+ / Purple-
Right Front ------------ Blue+ / red-
Left Rear ------------- Brown/White+ / Red/Yellow-
Right Rear ------------- Red/Blue+ / Yellow-
Center ---------------- green/White+ / Blue/Yellow-
Subwoofer ------------- Yellow/Black+ / Lt. Green/Red-

@ Speaker:

Left Front Tweeter -------- Lt.Green+ / Purple-
Right Front Tweeter ----------- Blue+ / red-

the speaker and tweeter have the same colors.... can someone explain
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you wire in the external crossover?

The stock mid-woof and the tweeter are wired in parallel and the stock tweet has a cap that acts as a hi-pass filter.

You need to run the stock amp's output into the external crossover and then to the drivers.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
^ that....and your giving a component set a whoppin like 45 watts.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
Did you wire in the external crossover?

The stock mid-woof and the tweeter are wired in parallel and the stock tweet has a cap that acts as a hi-pass filter.

You need to run the stock amp's output into the external crossover and then to the drivers.
okay wait so im using a PAC-HON20 to add a amp from there i was planning on taking the wires from the amp to the crossover then from there to the tweeter and speaker but then i found out there the same color and what to do you mean by drivers? thanks for your help! still a little confused

Last edited by prowheelie92; 10-15-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Drivers = the speaker components (tweeters, midrange, woofer, sub).

The tweeters and the door mid-woofers have the same color wires because they are both hooked up to the same output of the stock amp. They are wired in parallel and the stock tweeter has a built-in crossover (filter).

The way you described wiring up your components is correct. You said that your tweeters sounded bad. I assume that you installed your components into the stock locations and wired them into the stock amp? If this is what you did then did you use the supplied external crossover? If you did not use the crossover then your tweeters are getting a full range signal - this is bad and can damage your tweeters (this may have already happened). Your drivers need the crossover regardless of what amp is driving them.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
Drivers = the speaker components (tweeters, midrange, woofer, sub).

The tweeters and the door mid-woofers have the same color wires because they are both hooked up to the same output of the stock amp. They are wired in parallel and the stock tweeter has a built-in crossover (filter).

The way you described wiring up your components is correct. You said that your tweeters sounded bad. I assume that you installed your components into the stock locations and wired them into the stock amp? If this is what you did then did you use the supplied external crossover? If you did not use the crossover then your tweeters are getting a full range signal - this is bad and can damage your tweeters (this may have already happened). Your drivers need the crossover regardless of what amp is driving them.
this is not good. although as i mentioned above i did have infinity refference in before this and there are still fine so in the end i will replace the polks with the infinities. but i hope the polk tweeters are still fine
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Not to be harsh...but either tweeter will likely sound bad, no matter what it's crossed at. I've heard those Polk's and they were pretty bright. You should only be using the FL and FR from the factory amp into the LOC. From there into the amp, amp (speaker wire out) into the crossover, and into the respective speaker. I thought you said you were using an aftermarket amp right?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Not to be harsh...but either tweeter will likely sound bad, no matter what it's crossed at. I've heard those Polk's and they were pretty bright. You should only be using the FL and FR from the factory amp into the LOC. From there into the amp, amp (speaker wire out) into the crossover, and into the respective speaker. I thought you said you were using an aftermarket amp right?
yes im taking it apart as we speak. i now understand
i have everything ready.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,971 Likes on 14,486 Posts
^^^I'm skeptical...
keep us posted on what you end up doing!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockstar143
^^^I'm skeptical...
keep us posted on what you end up doing!
the car is in major surgery right now. not what i expected and im taking out the navigation! this is going to take the whole day! im taking pictures while in the process! i need to get to the radio output for my PAC-HON20 so it provides output for aftermarket and factory amp. CRAP this means i might need longer RCAs..... -____-
Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM

=Dude, it is not very simple to incorporate aftermarket equipment with the oem system.
take a step back and let's tackle what you got going on so you don't waste anymore time. What are you adding, what don't you have.
I'm familiar with the ipod connector...didn't realize it doubled as an LOC.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockstar143
=Dude, it is not very simple to incorporate aftermarket equipment with the oem system.
take a step back and let's tackle what you got going on so you don't waste anymore time. What are you adding, what don't you have.
I'm familiar with the ipod connector...didn't realize it doubled as an LOC.
alright so im on my way there i took out the whole navi and attached PAC AOEM-HON20 took the radio. this unit basically allows me to add a amplifier while keeping the stock amplifier to make things a little easier. now im only having a 4 channel amp so my center channel with be working threw factory amp. now im working on taking the rear seats apart to get to the rear speakers and so i can run rca s threw
Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Dude..you don't have to take the navi apart to do that. And you don't need to pull the seats to fit rca's or wires to the back. Just straighten out a hanger and tape the wire to the end of the hanger and feed it through the bottom corner of the seats. It'll go right through
Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by prowheelie92
alright so im on my way there i took out the whole navi and attached PAC AOEM-HON20 took the radio. this unit basically allows me to add a amplifier while keeping the stock amplifier to make things a little easier. now im only having a 4 channel amp so my center channel with be working threw factory amp. now im working on taking the rear seats apart to get to the rear speakers and so i can run rca s threw
...yes please stop what you are doing, research and educate yourself before moving forward
Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by djtsmith007
...yes please stop what you are doing, research and educate yourself before moving forward
im doing this cause my brother got my back...he has rewired his whole bmw put in a car pc and aftermarket stereo.
and im learning as i goo

AMP OUTPUTS:

12 Volt DC: ----------------- White
Remote Turn on(input) ---------------- Red/ Yellow
Left Front ---------- Lt. Green+ / Purple-
Right Front ------------ Blue+ / red-
Left Rear ------------- Brown/White+ / Red/Yellow-
Right Rear ------------- Red/Blue+ / Yellow-
Center ---------------- green/White+ / Blue/Yellow-
Subwoofer ------------- Yellow/Black+ / Lt. Green/Red-

@ Speaker:

Left Front Tweeter -------- Lt.Green+ / Purple-
Right Front Tweeter ----------- Blue+ / red-

so it says the front tweeter and front speakers have the same colors for positive and negative. im a little confused with this. i have my amp ready i attacthed the crossover and then i see theres a only 2 wires for a mid woofer speaker and tweeter? confused please help?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-16-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 PM

well, then so be it...
but dude, rely on your brother. If he's done a computer in a car...he's more help than you'll get on here, probably.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

You have 4 threads about basically the same thing on the front page. Try not to make a new thread for every question. It'll help get more replies as its inconvenient to follow 4 threads about the same thing
Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
You have 4 threads about basically the same thing on the front page. Try not to make a new thread for every question. It'll help get more replies as its inconvenient to follow 4 threads about the same thing
sorry about that
Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

It's all good. Just letting you know that it'll be easier for most to follow your progress and what steps you're at if it's all in 1 thread
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Prowheelie, welcome to Acurazine.

I've merged these 2 threads together. Let's just make one thread about a single subject.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The one thing I think needs to be clarified is the stock amp feeds both the mids and tweeters with the same wire.

After it leaves the amp it splits off in a connector behind the glove box and one wire goes to the tweeter and one goes to the door.

If you're running aftermarket tweeters and you run the with the factory wiring you will be running a full range signal to them and besides sounding terrible you will eventually blow them. The factory tweeters have a "crossover" built in, this is how they get away with this configuration. Aftermarket do not.

You need to run new speaker wire to the tweeters. I had luck just pushing wire through the tweeter hole and finding it behind the dash without removing anything but the bottom panels.

You'll run the wire from the amp to the new crossovers. From the crossovers, the "woofer" wire will go to the door speakers and the "tweeter" will go to the new wire you just ran.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The one thing I think needs to be clarified is the stock amp feeds both the mids and tweeters with the same wire.

After it leaves the amp it splits off in a connector behind the glove box and one wire goes to the tweeter and one goes to the door.

If you're running aftermarket tweeters and you run the with the factory wiring you will be running a full range signal to them and besides sounding terrible you will eventually blow them. The factory tweeters have a "crossover" built in, this is how they get away with this configuration. Aftermarket do not.

You need to run new speaker wire to the tweeters. I had luck just pushing wire through the tweeter hole and finding it behind the dash without removing anything but the bottom panels.

You'll run the wire from the amp to the new crossovers. From the crossovers, the "woofer" wire will go to the door speakers and the "tweeter" will go to the new wire you just ran.

holy crap that took a long time.. thanks i figured it all out im putting the car back together now. everything is working perfectly now
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars

actually u dont have to run new wires to the tweeters its not necessary theres the red and blue wire for the front right speaker and front right tweeter. it goes to a blue clip behind the glove box. (this clip was a PAIN ) i took all of them individually you will see 3 sets of red and blue wires to the blue clip. one red and blue is the input then from there it gets seperated. the next pair goes to the tweeter. and the next pair goes to the woofer. i tested all of this with a continuity tester. same thing for the other side. it all worked out in the end!!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That's exactly what I said before several times. However it's much easier to run new wire than to try and tap into the distro block behind the glove box.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced

oh crap im sorry dude but i REALLY appreciate the help. i will be posting up a video when i get time to show everyone how it sounds