Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What a great custom feature. Thanks for sharing, but only in my dreams.. lol
Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great product that could be a candidate for your carpc is the new Fit PC 2. It now uses the new Intel ATOM boards and it is extremely small. It runs for around $245-$400 depending on which configuration you buy. Check it out: http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Last gen mac minis are on sale at Microcenters for sub$300....
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by yngmacc3
Yo - I gotta make this a reality - i have an 07 TL what can you do to help me make this dream a reality -
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

Anything and everything you'll need to know about doing a carputer.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have done the screen but am working on the trunk setup before i finish this. Read through this thread we have figured out most of the bugs to make this work.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=wrxyboy
Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 PM
7th Gear

Scan converter

Looks like the Scan Do is not available any more or is ridiculously expensive, but I found this site: http://www.converters.tv/products/co...erters/40.html

Does anyone know if that would work for this application?

I'm in the midst of integrating a EEE PC into the stock navi on my 2008 TL-S

THANKS!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 PM
7th Gear

... oooh or maybe this one would be better http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equip...r/VP-101.xhtml
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by jodo.au
... oooh or maybe this one would be better http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equip...r/VP-101.xhtml
the other one was better since it's specs show it displays in 15 htz like the stock navi.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:56 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
the other one was better since it's specs show it displays in 15 htz like the stock navi.
So CGA-RGB is the same as RGBS? I couldn't find a definite answer so I'm feeling a bit cautious about that.

The Kramer actually says RGBS but doen't mention the sync frequency... arrrgggh! :P
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jodo.au
I'm in the midst of integrating a EEE PC into the stock navi on my 2008 TL-S
I have such a solution in MDX. For eeePC 701 & 900 VGA to RGB converter is not required. For eeePC 901 & 1000 (i945 & GMA950) IEGD need a driver and a custom VBIOS. Unfortunately, Intel 9xx Chipset not support composite sync, and need to make a simple device. There are many solutions, here is one of them:

The scheme is simple but its bad time - the power +5v. There are solutions that do not require this.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:33 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by slden
I have such a solution in MDX. For eeePC 701 & 900 VGA to RGB converter is not required. For eeePC 901 & 1000 (i945 & GMA950) IEGD need a driver and a custom VBIOS. Unfortunately, Intel 9xx Chipset not support composite sync, and need to make a simple device. There are many solutions, here is one of them:

The scheme is simple but its bad time - the power +5v. There are solutions that do not require this.
Hi slden, very cool info! I have a EEE PC 900, but I notice it has a Intel 945, so I guess unless I'll need the custom driver and bios? I'd rather not mess with that, so it looks like I'll have to go for a RGB converter?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

did you do it yourself????you didnt loose anything from the stock car. like the radio(xm,cd,cassett,stock navi,, bluethooth,etc.)and if i want the same thing as you have and i dont wanna doit myself(i dont wanna break anything) who will do it for me and how much will that be????
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
ACURA TL

Thumbs up hi Met

Hi met i have read all 8 pages of the thread and also gona to other sites or forums but im still confused about the relay/switch/usb control/navi unit install. Ok more clear, i understand the setup where which wire goes what i dont understand is are you supposed to cut open the FFC wire and solder each one to the right connection? if so how do you go which one is which? any help is much appriciated thank you
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Styop05
Hi met i have read all 8 pages of the thread and also gona to other sites or forums but im still confused about the relay/switch/usb control/navi unit install. Ok more clear, i understand the setup where which wire goes what i dont understand is are you supposed to cut open the FFC wire and solder each one to the right connection? if so how do you go which one is which? any help is much appriciated thank you
If you look at his profile, he hasn't been on for a couple months now.

Do you just have a standard usb touch interface? I've got the stock screen out and can tell you what goes to what.

I wouldn't cut anything. Get the flat cables and connectors so you don't have to do any cutting.

I am working on an opposite approach where I am using a std vga touch display and converted rgbs to vga.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 AM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by KN_TL
If you look at his profile, he hasn't been on for a couple months now.

Do you just have a standard usb touch interface? I've got the stock screen out and can tell you what goes to what.

I wouldn't cut anything. Get the flat cables and connectors so you don't have to do any cutting.

I am working on an opposite approach where I am using a std vga touch display and converted rgbs to vga.
Hi, yes i noticed that met had not logged in for awhile i just thought ill give it a shot.
Ok first i would like to thank you for helping
so my situation is i have a 04 TL with the stock navi. i have a mac mini and 4-Wire Resistive TouchScreen USB Controller (SLT-TP05-USB) from http://www.tvielectronics.com/Produc...ontroller.html
i also ordered the items needed from digikey. What i want to know is the flat cable that comes out of the oem screen and plugs into the board of the navi how are you supposed to connect that to the relay it doesnt make sense? again i really appriciate your help and sorry if i ask too many questions
ohh and one more thing. so im gona power the mac mini with carnetix P2140 since im gona use that i dont need the original power adapter that came with the mac right? and if i want to power other devices such as usb hubs and scan converter should i get a AC/DC inverter or can i power those off the carnetix too?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

that is a sweet install. i know i couldn't do anything close to that personally but it'd be fun to try
Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Hi, yes i noticed that met had not logged in for awhile i just thought ill give it a shot.
Ok first i would like to thank you for helping
so my situation is i have a 04 TL with the stock navi. i have a mac mini and 4-Wire Resistive TouchScreen USB Controller (SLT-TP05-USB) from http://www.tvielectronics.com/Produc...ontroller.html
i also ordered the items needed from digikey. What i want to know is the flat cable that comes out of the oem screen and plugs into the board of the navi how are you supposed to connect that to the relay it doesnt make sense? again i really appriciate your help and sorry if i ask too many questions
ohh and one more thing. so im gona power the mac mini with carnetix P2140 since im gona use that i dont need the original power adapter that came with the mac right? and if i want to power other devices such as usb hubs and scan converter should i get a AC/DC inverter or can i power those off the carnetix too?
What you'll need are two DPST relays, one wire to each.

Since I am using a KVM switch to do my video switching, I am going to first try using the K or M wires but the resistance through those paths may be too high or unbalanced. If that is the case, I'll build a relay circuit that'll be activated by the switch.

That Carnetix is quite the supply. You'll be able to use the MAC to power all that stuff. The mini is one of the lowest if not the lowest power consumer on the market, so 250W should be plenty.

Did you find a 4 conductor flat cable at digikey? I could only find 6 in the spacing needed and ended up getting that. Haven't attempted anything yet and have had these parts for over a year. I think this will be my winter project this year.

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-14-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
ACURA TL

Thumbs up

What you'll need are two DPST relays, one wire to each.

Since I am using a KVM switch to do my video switching, I am going to first try using the K or M wires but the resistance through those paths may be too high or unbalanced. If that is the case, I'll build a relay circuit that'll be activated by the switch.

That Carnetix is quite the supply. You'll be able to use the MAC to power all that stuff. The mini is one of the lowest if not the lowest power consumer on the market, so 250W should be plenty.

Did you find a 4 conductor flat cable at digikey? I could only find 6 in the spacing needed and ended up getting that. Haven't attempted anything yet and have had these parts for over a year. I think this will be my winter project this year.
I bought two 4PDT relays, is that the wrong one? can you show me a link or a pic of the relay your talking about. im not sure which one i ordered i found the part numbers on a forum and got all of them. If you can send me a link to the flat cable too.

When you say i will be able to use the mac to power everything, im kind of confused on how i will connect my scan converters power to the mac? do you have aim or win live to chat easier?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
ACURA TL

hey KN_TL check this out isnt this a 4 conductor flat cable?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=AF04-500-ND
Old 11-14-2009, 02:25 PM
ACURA TL

KN_TL you there???
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

I thought you were talking about USB only stuff. What voltages do the scan converters run?

I think the pitch of the cable you list is too wide. This is what I got:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...013-nd&x=0&y=0

I haven't done a relay yet and only went by what the local Radio Shack has
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by GIVER
Hey, I'm in the process of installing this project in my TL. I've been working on it on and off going on 3 weeks now. I'd really love to finalize this project already.

I've stumbled upon the touchscreen integration part of the project. I ordered all the parts Met mentioned needed to splice the signal. I have created a diagram of how I intend to wire this part together. I would like people to look it over and review and /or make suggestions/corrections if needed. This part of the setup, I am most uncertain about. Here's the diagram and thanks in advance for everything:

Link: http://yprimakov.googlepages.com/Tou...en-circuit.jpg
Hi, Can someone help me with this setup as to exactly which wire goes where and what type of board do we use just any pc board? Which wires do we splice off the 04acura tl does anyone have exact colors? thanks for any help
Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
ACURA TL

Let me rephrase my last question, the setup in the picture is it exactly right where the wires come FROM and go TO on the relay? and what kind of switch is used on the Positive part of the relay like in the picture? what type of board to use any pc board from radio shack? the wires that connect the scan converter to the 04 acura tl harness what colors are they does anyone know? Thanks again
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
1st TL-S on air in

This is a table of how it should wire up to the rgb

Look in this thread for more information and alot of trouble shooting help. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=wrxyboy
Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
This is a table of how it should wire up to the rgb

Look in this thread for more information and alot of trouble shooting help. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=wrxyboy
He's looking for the 4-wire resistive touchscreen connections.

You just need to go one for one. Place all conductors up and just go 1-1 2-2 3-3 and 4-4.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

If CSMEANCE is watching this, what was the issues you had with the switching circuit? Did MET stay with this or go with what HSETTY did and bag it all for a USB touch tablet?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

wrxyboy, thanks for the link. I was going to ask if anyone knew where to get a 4 conductor 1mm Flat Flex cable, but it looks like the same thing I found with 6 conductors and I'll have to cut it down to 4.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
1st TL-S on air in

if you read through the link i posted there are alot of pictures and trouble shooting. i should have my car pc done by end of the year since i am doing work on my trunk.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 AM
ACURA TL

Thanks

Wow thanks guys both of the answers help a lot. I also wanted to know how you solder the Zif clips onto the cercuit board they dont sit right you have to kind of force them should i still do that? and also on the positive for the relay i want to put a switch how and what kind of switch do i get?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

It depends on the zif socket. If the legs are bent so it stays better, you can use pliers to straighten them out. Also depends on the thickness of the board. If you are etching your own copper, you could always solder them from the top instead of the bottom.

As long as the switch is rated for the current draw of the relay coil, then it doesn't matter. I personally would decide which side you will be on the most and attach that side to the NC side so the relay isn't constantly energized.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 PM
ACURA TL

Its not the tips of the zif socket that are bent that are the problem, its because the nails that come out of the zif socket one is front one is back then one is front and one back. the nails on it dont form a square so it doesnt sit on the board good you have to kind of turn it and force it.

when the relay is energized does it make a lot of noise that its really obvious? and wouldnt that damage the navi if i just install it right in back of it?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 AM
ACURA TL

Also wanted to know if anyone has tried the EXTRON 109Xi scan converter? if so does it work good and did i make a good purchase? and does anyone have a pic of how the Extron hooks up? thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

If CSMEANCE is watching this, what was the issues you had with the switching circuit? Did MET stay with this or go with what HSETTY did and bag it all for a USB touch tablet?
Making the circuit, the problem I had was trying to get the right pinouts on the relay. I had quite a bit of trouble wiring up the USB device to work with the factory screen, I think I spent a few hours with different combinations. At first nothing happened, then it went up when I move my finger down, etc.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Making the circuit, the problem I had was trying to get the right pinouts on the relay. I had quite a bit of trouble wiring up the USB device to work with the factory screen, I think I spent a few hours with different combinations. At first nothing happened, then it went up when I move my finger down, etc.
Thanks. Since it is based on resistive changes, I wondered how much influence adding a lot of extra wiring and relays would have on it. I am still going to try it but not really sure how well it will work.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 PM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by styop05
its not the tips of the zif socket that are bent that are the problem, its because the nails that come out of the zif socket one is front one is back then one is front and one back. The nails on it dont form a square so it doesnt sit on the board good you have to kind of turn it and force it.

When the relay is energized does it make a lot of noise that its really obvious? And wouldnt that damage the navi if i just install it right in back of it?
Also wanted to know if anyone has tried the extron 109xi scan converter? If so does it work good and did i make a good purchase? And does anyone have a pic of how the extron hooks up? Thanks

no one wants to help??? Looks like my message was overlooked
Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks. Since it is based on resistive changes, I wondered how much influence adding a lot of extra wiring and relays would have on it. I am still going to try it but not really sure how well it will work.
all I can say is don't use a whole lot of solder or wiring! Stick with the wires provided to you by the USB controller. As well use very little solder when connecting the two connectors to the wires that will lead to your relay.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Its not the tips of the zif socket that are bent that are the problem, its because the nails that come out of the zif socket one is front one is back then one is front and one back. the nails on it dont form a square so it doesnt sit on the board good you have to kind of turn it and force it.

when the relay is energized does it make a lot of noise that its really obvious? and wouldnt that damage the navi if i just install it right in back of it?
I had this same problem, what I did was forget the board altogether and just soldered some very thin wiring to the connectors, I'll try to get a photo of it.

The relay shouldn't make any noise when active, only just a click when it switches. How much power are you sending to it? Is it grounded properly?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 AM
ACURA TL

I had this same problem, what I did was forget the board altogether and just soldered some very thin wiring to the connectors, I'll try to get a photo of it.

The relay shouldn't make any noise when active, only just a click when it switches. How much power are you sending to it? Is it grounded properly?
No i havnt even started, i have the center taken apart the navi and buying all the parts before i start. its definitely a mission. where do i ground the relay that hasnt even crossed my mind. Maybe to the oem navi ground put a splicer? same for the positive?

also is extron 109xi gonna do the job for the vga rgb converter part? thats what i bought

im grounding the computer with carnetix p2140 do you know if i can use that to power the reset of the devices like usb hub, scan converter, etc... or do i need dc/ac converter?

Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

The socket isn't designed to be installed in a square configuration. The front set is staggered from the back set so that someone designing a pcb can easily run traces between the pins.

What is the concern about the relay being attached to the case?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

No i havnt even started, i have the center taken apart the navi and buying all the parts before i start. its definitely a mission. where do i ground the relay that hasnt even crossed my mind. Maybe to the oem navi ground put a splicer? same for the positive?

also is extron 109xi gonna do the job for the vga rgb converter part? thats what i bought

im grounding the computer with carnetix p2140 do you know if i can use that to power the reset of the devices like usb hub, scan converter, etc... or do i need dc/ac converter?

Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it.
I looked up the scan converter and it's a 120v device, so the computer power supply isn't going to work for it. The converter looks like it will work though.

Quick Reply: CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation