CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
ACURA TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I looked up the scan converter and it's a 120v device, so the computer power supply isn't going to work for it. The converter looks like it will work though.
so should i hook up a ac/dc device to the converter or that wont work because the carnetix is gonna control the computer while the ignition is switched on and off but the converter wont be right?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Styop05
so should i hook up a ac/dc device to the converter or that wont work because the carnetix is gonna control the computer while the ignition is switched on and off but the converter wont be right?
It really depends on the inverter and the scan converter. I have one inverter that just goes on and off with the applied power and another that turns off when it loses power and needs to be manually powered back on.

The fact that you have a separate power supply for the computer won't be a problem. Worse case is that the monitor come on way before or after the computer boots.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
ACURA TL

It really depends on the inverter and the scan converter. I have one inverter that just goes on and off with the applied power and another that turns off when it loses power and needs to be manually powered back on.

The fact that you have a separate power supply for the computer won't be a problem. Worse case is that the monitor come on way before or after the computer boots.
So I wanted to clear some things up... the AcuraDVDNaviPlayer outs a video signal to the LCD screen and accepts a (x,y) input from the touch screen... the basic idea for connecting another PC (to use the OEM built-in LCD/touchscreen)... is to build two separate relay switches that divert the (x,y) input from the touchscreen to a USB adapter and vga output from the PC to the OEM LCD... correct?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
So I wanted to clear some things up... the AcuraDVDNaviPlayer outs a video signal to the LCD screen and accepts a (x,y) input from the touch screen... the basic idea for connecting another PC (to use the OEM built-in LCD/touchscreen)... is to build two separate relay switches that divert the (x,y) input from the touchscreen to a USB adapter and vga output from the PC to the OEM LCD... correct?
Yes

The stock lcd requires RGBs which the scan converter will convert from the computer which is VGA.

The touchscreen is a 4 wire resistive type so you need a USB 4 wire touch screen controller so it can work with the computer.

And yes, you need one switching circuit for the video and another for the touchscreen.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear

If I purchased all the parts for the interface module, could I send them, and you put them together for a price?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:04 PM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by kplenge19
If I purchased all the parts for the interface module, could I send them, and you put them together for a price?
i can set it up for u let me know
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 AM
ACURA TL

i can set it up for u let me know
i meant help you set it up
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
ACURA TL

Hi KN_TL,
Im trying to buy a scan do 800 or 1240 can i power that with carnetix p2140?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 AM
10th Gear

Is there any alternative to the scan do?

Want something tiny, scan do looks huge. Also, reading complaints about the blurriness of the resolution, maybe it would be better to do the video card that supports native resolution?

Will this work in place of the scan do http://www.arcadeshop.de/Audio-Video...o-CGA_793.html

also would be new. Is there seriously no other way. I assume that i will lose my rear camera when the carputer is on.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! Very cool...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

this set up is sick!! i wish i was technically inclined enought to do this in my car!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear

So the sick touchscreen integration that met152 has is software? Does anyone know if i were to go with a mini mac would similar touchscreen integration be possible? I am a mac guy but i could deff take the sacrifice and use something windows based if i could get similar results to met152. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Instructor

mp3car.com ...reference to all sources you would want to know... yes it is possible to do mac minis.. from what i've read you wont be able to run with a front-end software..hence the reason i went with a pc..(plus i got a deal)..

but there are plenty on that forum that have the mac mini running..
Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job.... That is crazy mad install skill and you must be computer savy like a mo fo... So why the old school phone? JK, you did a fantastic job, kills what I have going on in my TL.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Replacing the stock navi screen with higher resolution one

Hi all,

I read a few posts back about somebody wanting to replace the stock navi screen with one of better quality.

This got me thinking, if we can convert a VGA signal to RGBs then why can't we go the other way around and convert the stock unit's RGBs signal to VGA so we can hook it up to a higher resolution LCD monitor??

I did some googleling and it seems pretty easy!

RGBs to VGA convertor 15khz

http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

This unit seems like a good fit, im sure that we could also use a hack like this from monoprice too

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

LCD Monitor

Then we could use a high resolution LCD monitor with autoscaling, such as a Xenarc 700yv ($280 Ebay )

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700yv.html

This LCD has great features for a carupter such as

Features

* For In-Car Computing, PC, Server, GPS, and various VGA Use
* High Bright LCD Panel with LED Backlight *New*
* VGA Input x 1 & Video Input x 2
* Audio Input x 2 / Built-in Speaker
* NTSC / PAL Multi-System
* 16x9 Aspect Ratio
* High Resolution Display
* Auto detects 800x480 resolution
* Upgraded High-Brightness LED Backlight
* Ceramic Capacitors for increase durability *New*
* Automatic backlight level adjustment through built-in ambient light sensor *New*
* Pixelworks High Performance Image and Video Signal Processor
* AISS - Advanced Image-Scaling and Shaping
* 16:9 / 4:3 Scaler settings
* Last Input memory (700YV)
* Last Power setting memory
* IR Remote Control (700YV)
* Auto power-on upon signal detection
* Automatic display adjustment
* On Screen Display Control
* Mirror Image Flip
* Vertical Image Flip
* Function to disable front button(s) *New*
* Function to disable On Screen Text *New*
* AV2 Auto Switching for backup camera
* Copper Stand: 360° / Height Adjustment
* VESA 50mm mounting holes
* 26-Pin heavy-duty connector
* Supports 10V DC ~ 30V DC
* "E" Mark Certified for Automotive use
* Compare Features

Or this Liliput 7" ($172)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-EBY70...item562d1d6481

Its native res is 1024x768!!! Gotta look into this one....

Hack the stock LCD out of its bezel and put this in place, remap the xenarc buttons somewhere and the Touchscreen controller would be installed as described by the OP. We would also need a relay between both the touchscreen and VGA inputs to the LCD as described in this post.

This would be great to update our old crappy LCD with a display that can do stock res 640x320(is this right??) and one for the PC at a higher res of 1024x768 or 800 x 480.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
10th Gear

I Need Help please

Hello,
I have a few questions about the video scan do hookup:

1.) How are you guys powering your scan do? I am temporarily using an inverter, do you think that could be leading to a poor signal or causing interference? or is it true thatbecause it is going back down to 5v dc, this interference does not matter?

2.) I am seeing small lines - _ - _ as if it is scanning across the screen kind of white in color, never in the same place. Any ideas?

3.) I have tried power strip to do 640x480 16 bit color, but it still looks very bad. Is there some other settting you guys have found with powerstrip to get this ok?

4.) My color looks very dull. I have checked one at a time the red green and blue wires, and all are getting a great signal. I havent changed anything in windows yet, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem? It just seems that something isnt right.

5.) I dont have test bars on my unit. I have the scan do 1024 and I see only a solid green screen that has a line of black on the left. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 AM
4th Gear

Question

What's the latested any new installs?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
ACURA TL

Any help I can get go to this link http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...Untitled-1.jpg
and tell me if you notice anything wrong. The pic labled 1 and 2 is the BNC wire the end that is cut goes to the relay but im not sure how to connect a two wire to one wire? should i just ignore the outer wire #2?
Any reviews on the new converter i bought?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5271
Thanks for all the help
Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Any help I can get go to this link http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...Untitled-1.jpg
and tell me if you notice anything wrong. The pic labled 1 and 2 is the BNC wire the end that is cut goes to the relay but im not sure how to connect a two wire to one wire? should i just ignore the outer wire #2?
Any reviews on the new converter i bought?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5271
Thanks for all the help
Have you checked out mp3car? They have alot more knowledge about these types of setups on that site..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Have you checked out mp3car? They have alot more knowledge about these types of setups on that site..

Oh yes trust me I have read every thread I have been reading on it for about 6 months before I even started anything. Its just the BNC to relay connection is a little confusing.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
oh ok.. then you know more then me on this subject!! lol
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
ACURA TL

Hi whoever is watching this thread.
I have a couple of questions, I have everything working but when I switch the relay on the computer video input into the navi screen is scrambaled.
So far I have used two video converters and I have the same problem. Im sure the relay works because when I switch to the navi dvd it works fine.
The two converters I have tried are
Extron 109Xi
& Gefen DVI to RBG scalar.

The extron takes a VGA input and outputs R, G, B, S, H, & V each on its own BNC connection. The gefen is the same except it only has R, G, B, S and its input is DVI.
So where im thinking my problem would be is where the connection goes out of the converter and goes to the relay. In doms unit in the pic he has the VGA connection going to a 9 pin wire and going into the relay. What im confused about on that part is is he really using all nine pins or only four out of the grey nine pin wire? If he is using all nine then im deff doing something wrong. At the same time Im thinking he did that because the Scan Do 800's output is RGB but in the form of VGA so im guessing he used the nine pin wire to pinpoint the exact conections coming out of the scan do, so he can extract out the four connections he needs RGBS. Correct me if im wrong please, i have spent a lot of time and money on this project and very close to finishing but im stuck please help. Any diagram of the video connection would help. Thanks all
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Have you checked over on MP3?
Also, wrxboy may have some info---PM him.
I haven't gotten that far on this project, yet. It is on the books, though.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 PM
ACURA TL

Originally Posted by dwb993
Have you checked over on MP3?
Also, wrxboy may have some info---PM him.
I haven't gotten that far on this project, yet. It is on the books, though.
Thanks for the info buddy but trust me I have PM'ed wrxboy and I have read all of MP3
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM
ACURA TL

Hi whoever is watching this thread.
I have a couple of questions, I have everything working but when I switch the relay on the computer video input into the navi screen is scrambaled.
So far I have used two video converters and I have the same problem. Im sure the relay works because when I switch to the navi dvd it works fine.
The two converters I have tried are
Extron 109Xi
& Gefen DVI to RBG scalar.

The extron takes a VGA input and outputs R, G, B, S, H, & V each on its own BNC connection. The gefen is the same except it only has R, G, B, S and its input is DVI.
So where im thinking my problem would be is where the connection goes out of the converter and goes to the relay. In doms unit in the pic he has the VGA connection going to a 9 pin wire and going into the relay. What im confused about on that part is is he really using all nine pins or only four out of the grey nine pin wire? If he is using all nine then im deff doing something wrong. At the same time Im thinking he did that because the Scan Do 800's output is RGB but in the form of VGA so im guessing he used the nine pin wire to pinpoint the exact conections coming out of the scan do, so he can extract out the four connections he needs RGBS. Correct me if im wrong please, i have spent a lot of time and money on this project and very close to finishing but im stuck please help. Any diagram of the video connection would help. Thanks all

Am i supposed to be using pins 3 and 13 in with 1,2,11,12 while connecting the RGBS to the relay or im only worried about splicing into the White(red) Red(Green) Yellow(blue) Brown(sync)?
3 and 13 are ground and shield signal for pins 1,2,11,12 on the 20 pin connection on navigation unit.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

so sick.........man ,well done
Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Am i supposed to be using pins 3 and 13 in with 1,2,11,12 while connecting the RGBS to the relay or im only worried about splicing into the White(red) Red(Green) Yellow(blue) Brown(sync)?
3 and 13 are ground and shield signal for pins 1,2,11,12 on the 20 pin connection on navigation unit.
Ok so let me get a little more information from you. You want to use three differents sources? Navi, CarPC and doms unit. How many relays are you using?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I creamed in my pants when i saw this... I bow down to you Met. I'm gonna read the crap out of everything I can on mp3 and see if I can do this. How many confirmed installs on Azine do we have?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
10th Gear

I have what is probably a dumb question. I've read all the threads, but why do you need the relay for video? Why wouldn't you just use dom's unit (or navtool or whatever) to control the video? I believe that navtool has a vga input for video.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

by the way, after receiving the navtogo unit, what I thought was a vga port was actually the wiring harness for the unit, and it only receives the video rca cable
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Ok I have a question that I cant seem to find the answer to...and trust me I have read every thread I can related to this particular mod of integrating into the stock navi unit. How does the video signal run to the navi screen? What I mean is, you have VGA coming from your pc/laptop and going into the scan converter. Then you have the RGB output from the scan converter but where does that go/integrate into the navigation dvd drive? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I could not find it...anyone have pictures etc?

Thank you,
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by SACREDZERO
Ok I have a question that I cant seem to find the answer to...and trust me I have read every thread I can related to this particular mod of integrating into the stock navi unit. How does the video signal run to the navi screen? What I mean is, you have VGA coming from your pc/laptop and going into the scan converter. Then you have the RGB output from the scan converter but where does that go/integrate into the navigation dvd drive? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I could not find it...anyone have pictures etc?

Thank you,
You are on the right track it splices into the video feed to the navi display. This is where the relay comes into play. With the relay off than the navi display will work as normal, once the relay is powered it changes the video feed from the the navi dvd to the carpc. So you would splice into the video feed to the navi display. Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by TechGeek85
I have what is probably a dumb question. I've read all the threads, but why do you need the relay for video? Why wouldn't you just use dom's unit (or navtool or whatever) to control the video? I believe that navtool has a vga input for video.
Do what your saying is that you can plug your laptop into the NAV module to create a video?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Do what your saying is that you can plug your laptop into the NAV module to create a video? Almost like when you plug your laptop into the TV with the right wires?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Ok so here is a follow-up to the question I asked the other day about where the video from my Scan Converter goes back to the nav screen. BTW thank you wrxyboy for answering my question! So I did find what met152 did (see below) but I am not clear where this is "splicing" back into the nav video feed? Is he perhaps using the small black plugs to plug into the factory port where the backup camera would normally plug into? I mean that would be a "easy" fix no? Instead of hacking the harness that supplies the main feed would this work: Energize the relay to tell nav unit that the car is in "reverse" it switches to that and voila you have the video from your PC or am I completely off track? I'm just trying to understand exactly where this is "splicing" back into the video feed.

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by met152
I don't have any better pictures of the back of the lcd. Sorry

Fortunately, I do have a picture of the relay that's used for switching the video.
Video signal comes out of the scan converter and into the 9-pin cable. The 2 small black connectors plug in where the 4 wires (red, green, blue, and sync) were cut coming out of the dvd unit in the trunk. Normally, the signal passes into one of the small black connectors, and then right out the other one.
The 2 blue wires (I know, bad choice of colors), are for 12v and ground.

Hope this helps a little.. Wish I had a better picture of the relay behind the lcd.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM
10th Gear

SACREDZERO, the harness in the trunk is the best spot to tap into the video feed. My install is still in progress (as we speak, I came for a quick view of this forum to check something while working in my garage) but the way that I tapped in was using navtv's harness - which let me not mess with the stock harness at all. But you can cut the wires behind the dvd unit. The wires that you need are the white, red, yellow and brown wires (1,2,11,12 on the 20 pin connector). The white is your red signal, red is your green signal, yellow is your blue signal and brown is your composite signal.

If you are really opposed to cutting the wires you could try to tap in where the reverse camera is plugged in, however this would require bypassing the reverse switch for the camera - not my first choice, I like the camera.

Anyway, I hope this helps. It's late and I still have some wiring ahead of me. Give me till the end of the week and we'll have another confirmed install thanks to this forum (I know that the touch screen works, I'm doing video right now).

As a side note I thought I could get by just using the navtv unit for video input but I ended up needing to get a scan converter. I found a scan do pro on ebay for $50 shipped, so not too bad and I'm powering it via usb from the computer (5v 1amp from an email from the scan do company).
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

Acktl,

I have a laptop with a tv output which gives an rca out which I connected to the navtv. That connection was not the best, you could see stuff and it would be ok for movies but forget it if you wanted to read text. The best bet is to get a scan converter and tap into the video from the nav unit. Best of luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM
10th Gear

Styop05,

I have the same problem as you, I tried to connect into what I thought would be the rgbs wires out of dom's unit but all I get is scrambled signals when i switch to the scan do. Did you figure out your problem?

Wrxboy,

I tried to use the harness from navtool to tap into the video just like Styop05. The reason for this is I already had the navtool and wanted to use that for iphone video (1 switch, no relay necessary) and then I have a relay to switch from the stock/navtool to the computer. I tapped into the wires out of the navtool, right before it reconnects with the harness that runs to the display. That harness has extra wires but should still only connects to the stock harness and should have the same pin-outs.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the video is scrambled?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Styop05,

I have the same problem as you, I tried to connect into what I thought would be the rgbs wires out of dom's unit but all I get is scrambled signals when i switch to the scan do. Did you figure out your problem?

Wrxboy,

I tried to use the harness from navtool to tap into the video just like Styop05. The reason for this is I already had the navtool and wanted to use that for iphone video (1 switch, no relay necessary) and then I have a relay to switch from the stock/navtool to the computer. I tapped into the wires out of the navtool, right before it reconnects with the harness that runs to the display. That harness has extra wires but should still only connects to the stock harness and should have the same pin-outs.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the video is scrambled?
If i am understanding you correctly you want to use 3 video sources, iphone, carpc and stock navi. I think in your case you would need to do a 4 way pole by 3 way throw. This relay should have 20 pins. 4 pins for video from navtool, 4 pins for video from the carpc, 4 pins for video from the dvd navi, 4 pins leading to the navi display (or the pins that are called common), 2 pins to power up side 1 of this relay and the last 2 pins to power up the other side of relay. If this is the route you are going i can draw up an electrical diagram if you need it.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

Truly amazing

Quick Reply: CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation