CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation

To summarize what I did here:

I installed a carpc (carputer) in my 06 TL with navigation. The stock screen was used to display the video, and the touchscreen was tapped into to provide touch coordinates to the PC via USB.

You can see my thread HERE about how I tapped into the touchscreen wires.

The PC is a 1.5 Ghz mini-itx form motherboard, 80GB laptop HD, 512 mb ram, cd-r/dvd-r burner, 802.11b wireless card. I also have internet via my verizon phone over DUN.
The PC is running a customized and slimmed down Windows XP Pro, using a Road Runner, and open source front end (the user interface).

The video is fed from the VGA video card into a Scan DO 800 scan converter. This unit outputs an RBG sync signal, which is the signal that our Acura LCD screen takes as an input.

A switch installed near the front cupholders switches the video and touchscreen inputs. They are operated by a set of 4 pole relays.

I think this is the absolute best way to install a carpc into the TL. It keeps all of the OEM equipment 100% functional. The resolution of our LCD isn't as high as a VGA monitor, but the quality is still GREAT. This was one of my biggest concerns at the beginning of the project, that the video quality would be sub-par. Fortunately I was wrong.

Please ask any questions you might have. I'll do my best to answer anything and explain what I have done done.

Enjoy!!
-Mike

The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (10-04-2014)
Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great props for you. Just wondering, which navi software are you using?

and I LOVE 24 !!! Jack bauer is so cool!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, AWESOME installation, AMAZING idea. I most definitely want to copy you.

So... my first question is... what's the grey box strapped to the backseats?

Also, you are no longer using factory nav? can you still switch to it? What GPS antenna are you using? Did you lose any factory functionality? HFL for example?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

mad props, met. Extremely impressed with the image quality on that screen. I didn't think you had a chance in hell with the resolution of that screen.

What resolution to you have the video card set to?

Even more impressive, though seemingly simple, is your interface into the touchscreen controls.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,413 Posts
wow, this is amazing... the disk drive was a very neat install. i might have to do this as well
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Iguidance 3.0 and Google Earth

Originally Posted by lookinco
Great props for you. Just wondering, which navi software are you using?

and I LOVE 24 !!! Jack bauer is so cool!
I am using Iguidance 3.0 as my navi software.

The second set of map software is Google Earth.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
... maddd props integrating the OEM interface into your carputer... do u find your iGuidance works better than Honda's Navi???
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by zax123
First of all, AWESOME installation, AMAZING idea. I most definitely want to copy you.

So... my first question is... what's the grey box strapped to the backseats?

Also, you are no longer using factory nav? can you still switch to it? What GPS antenna are you using? Did you lose any factory functionality? HFL for example?
Thanks man!
The grey box is the scan converter. Here is the user's manual on it
I picked it up on ebay for about $50.

I occasionally switch to the factory nav. Not too often though. I am using a cheap USB GPS receiver that I got on ebay a couple years ago. It's a Holux brand. I mounted it on the rear deck very close to the factory gps receiver.

I still have 100% factory functionality. The HFL works exactly like factory. I am getting audio through the Blitzsafe aux input. It emulates a CD changer and is activated by pressing the CD button twice.

Originally Posted by ITL
mad props, met. Extremely impressed with the image quality on that screen. I didn't think you had a chance in hell with the resolution of that screen.

What resolution to you have the video card set to?

Even more impressive, though seemingly simple, is your interface into the touchscreen controls.
Thanks ITL. I was pretty impressed once I got it all hooked up too. Like I mentioned, it was my biggest concern.
I have the resolution set to 640x480. I could probably set it higher, but when I was getting all of the OS customized, it was easier to read some of the smaller text with 640x480.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Sometimes

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
... maddd props integrating the OEM interface into your carputer... do u find your iGuidance works better than Honda's Navi???
It all depends. Sometimes it is easier to find POI's in Iguidance than acura's. But most of the time I don't really need the navigation, so it's just always set to the PC input.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
excellent job integrate a trackball and minikeyboard into your steering wheel
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet job man looks like a killer set up!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM

Here is a short video showing it in action
VIDEO HERE

It's about 10mb.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome mod - very nice touch to integrate the touch screen - with internet enable that might enable it to get traffic updated for the navigation software, but i don't know where you get such update.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

one thing is confusing me, can you answer this?

from the 4 pin FFC, we add the extra 6-pin FFC wire (later cut it to 4) and put it inot one end of the relay. From the relay, we put the FFC to the USB controller right? then everthing gets mount on the computer board if you want to, but it can be mounted on something else?

this will help everyone as i conclueded this from studying the pictures and parts needed.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

also from where did you get the iguidance 3.0 and Road runner software? Sorry for all the questions
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance
one thing is confusing me, can you answer this?

from the 4 pin FFC, we add the extra 6-pin FFC wire (later cut it to 4) and put it inot one end of the relay. From the relay, we put the FFC to the USB controller right? then everthing gets mount on the computer board if you want to, but it can be mounted on something else?

this will help everyone as i conclueded this from studying the pictures and parts needed.
Yes, you're correct. The 4 pin from the touchscreen goes to the relay common. I made a small circuit board where I mounted the connectors and relay. The signals that come out of the normally close (NC) go on the 6 pin (cut to 4) back to the Acura computer board. You don't need an FFC from the relay to the usb controller. I just soldered the USB wires directly to the NO relay contacts.

The small board that I made was mounted on the back of the LCD. I think it's necessary to mount it here due to the short length of the cable coming from the touchscreen.

This pic shows the short length

This pic shows the Relay board mounted. The wires you see coming off the board go to the touchscreen controller which is taped to the bottom right side the lcd.

Here's a very rough schematic that I drew up quickly.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM

also from where did you get the iguidance 3.0 and Road runner software? Sorry for all the questions
Iguidance is retail software available here: http://www.inavcorp.com/
Sells for $109.00

Road Runner is free open source software.
Here is the forum dedicated to Road Runner: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72

www.mp3car.com is an EXCELLENT place to get details on software and hardware for carpc installed. I spent MANY hours here researching.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks for the schematic and the help met, this helps me understand it much better. Is is necessary to have a GPS antenna to use the google directions and the live satilite image?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 PM

thanks for the schematic and the help met, this helps me understand it much better. Is is necessary to have a GPS antenna to use the google directions and the live satilite image?
No problem. I'm happy to help out.

Well I don't use Google for directions. But I'm sure it's possible. The integration of Google Earth with Road Runner still isn't perfect.

But to answer your question, yes. You will need a GPS antenna if you want to use any sort of mapping program on the PC.
I thought about trying to tap into the signal for the OEM antenna, but decided to just add a USB receiver instead

There are some programs out there that will allow you to cache an area with google earth. You could potentially save a few gigs of data from GE and copy to the PC.

Search for a program at mp3car.com called GE Voyager, I think that's the program to create a cache of the maps.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Weather Watcher

^I'm pretty much speechless right now............ Crazy mod!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

to help out met for helping me, here is a color coded diagram so it easier for members like me...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats one impressive setup! Great job man!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

nicely done
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Sick install! I'm very impressed. For someone who isn't very electronically inclined as far as making my own circuit boards and using relays -- what would be the best way for me to tap into the touch screen signal like you have done? Is there something I could buy to make this easier?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM

nothing PNP at this time.

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Sick install! I'm very impressed. For someone who isn't very electronically inclined as far as making my own circuit boards and using relays -- what would be the best way for me to tap into the touch screen signal like you have done? Is there something I could buy to make this easier?
Sorry to say, but this probably isn't a project for you then. As far as I know, there isn't anything out there to buy that would make this easier.

A guy named Angrycamel was working on a module that would interpret the IEBus (the bus where all of the signals are sent across) and be able to send those to a PC over serial or usb. But unfortunately he was trying to pass off the project onto someone else because his car got flooded.
That post is here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/%5Bworking-%5D-hacking-ga-net-iebus-get-touchscreen-coordinates-346909/
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by met152
Here is a short video showing it in action
VIDEO HERE

It's about 10mb.

This blows me away! I'm trying to figure out if I have what it takes to tackle this. Probably . Definitely you have bragging rights on this

Amazing
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Weather Watcher

^ Fer real! I'm still awestruck - since I saw this thread last night. How much $$ did this project cost you?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SSM6MTNAVI
^ Fer real! I'm still awestruck - since I saw this thread last night. How much $$ did this project cost you?
Hmm.. I never really added it all up.

Let's see:
$550 - for motherboard, case, power supply, 80gb hd, 512 mb ram, slim dvd drive, usb hubs, usb cables, laptop to ide converter
$35 - pcmcia add-on card
$65 - scan converter
$43 - usb touch controller
$31 - components from digikey
$10 - small usb keyboard, meant to be used with xbox or PS2
$90 - blitzsafe adapter

Stuff I already had:

usb gps receiver
linksys 802.11b card

Total: $824
I'm sure there was some other stuff I'm missing. So probably closer to $850.

It could have been done for less, but I didn't really want to be cheap on things.
Could have gotten slower mobo/processor, less ram, smaller HD, doesn't really need a DVD burner,

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my setup!! I'm VERY happy with how it turned out.

Anyone looking to go a little less extreme and just add a dvd player? I have a Dom's tvandnav2go unit for sale in the black market.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

met, how did you know which wires lead to the USb (ie direction ones, the ones that move up, dpwn left and right) also how did you test it?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Weather Watcher

Thumbs up

Let's see:
$550 - for motherboard, case, power supply, 80gb hd, 512 mb ram, slim dvd drive, usb hubs, usb cables, laptop to ide converter
$35 - pcmcia add-on card
$65 - scan converter
$90 - blitzsafe adapter

Stuff I already had:

usb gps receiver
linksys 802.11b card

It could have been done for less, but I didn't really want to be cheap on things.
Could have gotten slower mobo/processor, less ram, smaller HD, doesn't really need a DVD burner,

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my setup!! I'm VERY happy with how it turned out.

Anyone looking to go a little less extreme and just add a dvd player? I have a Dom's tvandnav2go unit for sale in the black market.

Mike

Thats not bad at all. I'm definitely gonna attempt this come spring. Next time I'm in Pittsburgh visiting my bro I'll holla so I can see that thing in action if you don't mind. The video is nice too
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

met, how did you know which wires lead to the USb (ie direction ones, the ones that move up, dpwn left and right) also how did you test it? BTW, if i can get htis work with my navi once i get the stuff, i migth sell this mod to people and have to give met a commision for his idea.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Mike
I'm interested but being in Canada ...
Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Let's see:
$35 - pcmcia add-on card
$65 - scan converter
$90 - blitzsafe adapter

Stuff I already had:

usb gps receiver
linksys 802.11b card

Mike
Point me to the Black-market, Im interested. I will pay u to do my install
Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 PM

met, how did you know which wires lead to the USb (ie direction ones, the ones that move up, dpwn left and right) also how did you test it? BTW, if i can get htis work with my navi once i get the stuff, i migth sell this mod to people and have to give met a commision for his idea.
I didn't know which ones. It was all trial and error. It was actually a pain to do this.
The first thing I did with this project was the touchscreen control.

At first I didn't connect the wires from the relay to the usb controller. I left them hanging and kept testing different combinations until it worked. Looking back, I should have written down which ones they were.

I used a laptop in the car with the usb controller plugged into the laptop and running the touch software. Once I had it figured out, I took the LCD back inside and soldered the connections. Such a pain in the ass to keep disconnecting and reconnecting all of the wiring harnesses.

for the commission
I thought about this as well, but I figured anyone who was going to be comfortable taking their LCD apart all the way down to the circuit board, could probably also handle the rest of it.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSM6MTNAVI
Thats not bad at all. I'm definitely gonna attempt this come spring. Next time I'm in Pittsburgh visiting my bro I'll holla so I can see that thing in action if you don't mind. The video is nice too
Sounds good man.. Just shoot me a PM or email. I'd be glad to show it off.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SleepyTheDon
Point me to the Black-market, Im interested. I will pay u to do my install
tried to PM you.. it must be disabled on your end.

anyway, here's the black market thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sold-fs-doms-nav2go-unit-non-pnp-get-dvd-video-your-navi-display-350994/
Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, all the other Carputer installations were awesome, but you integrating the stock screen is soooo cool.

Major props man... I have a screen laying around that I'll be messing with...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM
2004 Acura TL 5AT

Thumbs up Great Job

This is one of the best interior mod I have ever seen - Mike great job !!!

Keep on thinking about other mods to make all us crave...

Again congrats and this awesome krazy accomplished mod.

~ KREOLO
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow! Your pics are making me want to stock up on PC parts and get mine going! Good job!

What are you using for your startup/shutdown control?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
amazing amazing....u could turn a nice profit with that

Quick Reply: CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation