Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
EBAYGEEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickkk
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Excellent work! I'm surprised how well the video quality turned out. Looks great.

You should post this on the mp3car forums too. A lot of people struggled integrating a carpc with their navi cars, but your project turned out awesome! It so great, I plan to copy you this summer
Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by met152
I did not get a chance to compare the screen quality. However, I will say that the quality of the picture is excellent. The only thing it's not great for is small text. For example on webpages, or when using windows explorer. There is a little bit of flicker due to the scan converter, but this is really only noticeable when there is a mostly white background. Other than that, it's perfect.
Of course, if you can go VGA to VGA you'll be better off, but I wasn't willing to completely rip out the OEM LCD and try to replace that. I think that would be a major effort that probably wouldn't turn out well.

I would love to have a PNP version of this. I think it'd be difficult to do though. I am taking the signals that were meant for the navi pc board to process. For it to be PNP, it would have to plug in at one of the harnesses. By the time the signal gets there, it's going over the IE-Bus, and you'd need a special IC to decode this signal. Like I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, a member named AngryCamel was working on a module, but has since handed off the project and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

csmeance, any luck on this mod? Have you decided to go forward with it?
if i can get another OEM screen, then i'm going to try to make a mini-PNP version if it. I have posted in a few threads in the blackmarket for one and have to check them for responses.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM
10th Gear

How do you let windows shutdown properly or keep it from screwing up from non proper shutdowns?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Decoy
How do you let windows shutdown properly or keep it from screwing up from non proper shutdowns?

http://www.mini-box.com/M1-ATX-90w-I...ly?category=13

btw, to the orig poster, that sat nav is del.icio.us.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

This is an absolutely amazing installation. I was actually in the process of doing my own carputer, when I found this thread and thank god because now I know that not only can it be done but that the outcome far exceeds my expectations.

Since you're in PA, you're not too far away from me, I would be very interesting it in checking it out sometime. I'd like to talk to you about it some more, could you PM me? (I tried to PM you but I couldn't, said something about not having access).
Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

How is the power on and power off done for the windows shutdown and startup? What tells the computer to come on and off?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Couple of easy question. I understand what you're doing, but am having trouble tying it all together...

How is your output down converted RGBS video getting sent from the converter back into the Nav display? Are you using another 4 pole relay and sending the converted signal back via the same switch in the cup holders?

I see how you get touchscreen input to the CarPC, but I can't figure out how your getting your CarPC video signal back to the Nav screen.

Looks like, to do this proper, you may loose the ol reverse camera. How could folks best integrate a system simialar to this and make use of the already installed video converter? How bad would resolution suffer if the output of the carpc went to the input of a Dom's unit?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

I would buy the package if you would put it together. An idea for you would be to sell 2 different packages, first package would be everything including software and computer and all the other goods, and the second package would be everything except the computer but include some software. Let me know or post here if your going to start package deals...
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

mat, do you know if the FFC carries any electrical connections (1 power, 1 ground and the other 2 coordinates) or are all 4 wires for the coordinates because if i do attempt to do it, i don't want to fry my monitor?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Advanced

now someone just needs to do this and tap the 5.1 output on it to the stereo

or has someone done that already?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
10th Gear

Still i come here every day, to admire your pics and great work. I keep thinking of more and more questions. Like does the traffic button in G Maps work? Where you able to tap into the XM Radio? What does your telephone button do?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Couple of easy question. I understand what you're doing, but am having trouble tying it all together...

How is your output down converted RGBS video getting sent from the converter back into the Nav display? Are you using another 4 pole relay and sending the converted signal back via the same switch in the cup holders?

I see how you get touchscreen input to the CarPC, but I can't figure out how your getting your CarPC video signal back to the Nav screen.

Looks like, to do this proper, you may loose the ol reverse camera. How could folks best integrate a system simialar to this and make use of the already installed video converter? How bad would resolution suffer if the output of the carpc went to the input of a Dom's unit?
Good question, this is one I would like answered as well. And with as much detail as possible.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 PM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIVER
This is an absolutely amazing installation. I was actually in the process of doing my own carputer, when I found this thread and thank god because now I know that not only can it be done but that the outcome far exceeds my expectations.

Since you're in PA, you're not too far away from me, I would be very interesting it in checking it out sometime. I'd like to talk to you about it some more, could you PM me? (I tried to PM you but I couldn't, said something about not having access).
I can't PM you.. It's a new feature of the forums to prevent abuse of the accounts.
I think I read somewhere that you need 30 or more posts before you can send/receive PMs.

Make a few more posts and then try PMing me again.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by CozHelp
How is the power on and power off done for the windows shutdown and startup? What tells the computer to come on and off?
On/Off powering of the PC is done entirely by the M2-ATX power supply. The power supply has 3 wires going into it.
1. Constant 12V
2. Accessory 12V
3. Ground

When the ignition is turned on, the power supply senses the 12V accessory power, it then issues an ON command to the PC. The ON command does the same thing as pressing the power button on the PC. When the ignition is turned off, the power supply issues an OFF command by "pressing" the power button.
Based on your shutdown settings in Windows (assuming you're using windows), you can have the PC turn off, go into standby, go into hibernate, etc.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Yes, you're correct. I am using another 4 pole relay. It is the same 4 wires that are used to send the video signal from Doms unit, for those of you already having a video input.
The switch near the cupholder applies 12V to the coils of both relays.

There are solutions to avoid losing use of the reverse camera. I haven't researched it personally, but many of the front end software packages have support for reverse cameras. I'm not sure how these people are getting the video to the PC, but the possibility is there. This also opens up many more possibilities such as video recording, taking snapshots, webcam feeds while driving (if you have internet available).

I'm not sure how the video quality would suffer. An easy test would be to find a PC that supports video out via RCA connection and just plug that into the Dom's unit in place of your backup cam. See how it looks on the LCD. You might have to play with resolutions and color settings.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

woahhhh how did u even come up with this idea? thats crazy dude. i still can't believe those crazy stuffs are possible to be in our cars. anyways, how long did it take u to finish the whole thing? installation time only. if its within a day, i say u start a business doin em for people, ill def. be the first one on line! mad propsss
Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Still i come here every day, to admire your pics and great work. I keep thinking of more and more questions. Like does the traffic button in G Maps work? Where you able to tap into the XM Radio? What does your telephone button do?
Thanks Dr. Decoy. I'm glad you enjoy the install.
The traffic button doesn't do anything for me.. I think the person who created the skin i'm using lived in Los Angeles and the traffic button should zoom to LA and show a traffic overlay. So I think it works, but it's not helpful for me a few thousand miles away.
The telephone button should launch a program that would allow me to make /receive calls, see picture caller ID, send txt messages. But, because i use my phone though the acura HFL system, it gets confused when I try to have it connected to multiple bluetooth devices..
I'm still trying to work it out, but it doesn't look good.

Originally Posted by csmeance
mat, do you know if the FFC carries any electrical connections (1 power, 1 ground and the other 2 coordinates) or are all 4 wires for the coordinates because if i do attempt to do it, i don't want to fry my monitor?
All 4 wires are for coordinates.. I wouldn't worry about it. I accidentally crossed the wires when i was installing mine and it didn't cause any apparent damage.
Note: I am not liable for any damage to your monitor. haha

Originally Posted by CozHelp
I would buy the package if you would put it together. An idea for you would be to sell 2 different packages, first package would be everything including software and computer and all the other goods, and the second package would be everything except the computer but include some software. Let me know or post here if your going to start package deals...

I would not consider selling the package with all software and hardware. There are plenty of resellers out there who stock the PC components. I am not in the position to stock thousands of dollars worth of components.

The only thing I would consider making and selling would be the touchscreen interface. I understand that people are unable or unwilling to attempt to order individual pc board parts and try to solder them to a board.

The rest of it is basic wiring and building a pc. Not much more difficult than installing a car alarm or remote start.

It all just takes patience and research.. You could just throw a laptop in your trunk and use that as the PC. Even though I'm very comfortable with soldering and PC building, I still spent many many hours researching mp3car.com for different ideas and help with how to integrate everything.

The majority of the software I'm running is freeware. Of course you'll need a copy of Windows or some other OS, plus mapping software. But there is plenty of free software out there that works great.

It seems like there is some decent interest in me producing a module for the USB touchscreen control.

I need a list of people who would be interested in purchasing one of these modules.

BEFORE YOU REPLY SAYING YES, PLEASE READ THIS:

This mod will require you to physically remove the LCD screen from the vehicle to modify it. Once the LCD is out, you'll need to remove the rear cover to reveal the PC board. If you're not comfortable doing this, then this mod is not for you.

Please realize that the module could cost up to $150 or $200.

NOTE TO MODS: I'm not selling this yet, I just want to see if it's worth my time. I will become a vendor if I choose to pursue this. I hope this feeler post is allowed.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yes, you're correct. I am using another 4 pole relay. It is the same 4 wires that are used to send the video signal from Doms unit, for those of you already having a video input.
The switch near the cupholder applies 12V to the coils of both relays.

There are solutions to avoid losing use of the reverse camera. I haven't researched it personally, but many of the front end software packages have support for reverse cameras. I'm not sure how these people are getting the video to the PC, but the possibility is there. This also opens up many more possibilities such as video recording, taking snapshots, webcam feeds while driving (if you have internet available).

I'm not sure how the video quality would suffer. An easy test would be to find a PC that supports video out via RCA connection and just plug that into the Dom's unit in place of your backup cam. See how it looks on the LCD. You might have to play with resolutions and color settings.
Good scoop...
I currenly run an AVelectronics unit which supports S-video. Given the M2 ATX mobo natively outputs S-Video, I could use the S-Video out of the mobo directly into the AVElectronics input source.

Do Dom's/AVelectronics downsample the refresh to be compliant with the OEM LCD scan rate and thus not damage it, or would I also need to use that video adjuster in between the PC and Dom's?

Only thing I don't like about this setup is there's no single switch to get to Car PC. I'd have to hit the mode button to get to CD-C (audio for blitzsafe), hit the touchscreen toggle switch, then hit the RF remote to toggle the video source input. That's a lot of steps. I guess I could figure out another RF toggle for the touchscreen... but that's more time and $$$.

Sure later I could also explore a USB camera tied to the CarPC, but that's a alot more rigging there.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tl-typeS07
woahhhh how did u even come up with this idea? thats crazy dude. i still can't believe those crazy stuffs are possible to be in our cars. anyways, how long did it take u to finish the whole thing? installation time only. if its within a day, i say u start a business doin em for people, ill def. be the first one on line! mad propsss
It's tough to say how long the whole thing took me. I did a lot of research before starting anything. Then I did it all in a few different steps.

I think that with the touchscreen module alone could be installed in 2-3 hours.

I would consider helping with additional parts of the installation, but it would be pretty time consuming for me to do the entire install.

For the right price, I'd consider it though.

The whole thing (hardware only, software takes too much time to tweak), could probably be done in 1 day. I spent more time that this thinking about the best way to complete certain parts.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:53 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

One other question...
Why can't you just Y-Cable the touchscreen interface (oppsosed to using the relay)?

This would make the install a lot easier/cheaper and eliminate a step in getting to the interface.

The only drawback I could see would be all touchscreen actions taken in OEM "mode" will aslo be translated to the CarPC in the background. When you switch sources, who knows what you'd have done to the CarPC screen.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

if i can get a spare navi screen, i could try to make a PNP version of it based on what i have read and understood here. PLS give me link to buy navi screen!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by csmeance
if i can get a spare navi screen, i could try to make a PNP version of it based on what i have read and understood here. PLS give me link to buy navi screen!!!!!
PNP is suggestive here. Why do you need another screen, the instructions are quite clear, and the harness is relatively PNP based on the direction provided. You'll have to hack up the back of the LCD cover to make room the short run of the 4 wire connector though. That's not PNP.

...but "if" you can Y cable the output, that would be a piece of cake to make. It's a simple Y cable. All you'd need is 3 of those FFM connectors spliced together.

I can't see a reason why you couldn't use a Y cable either...

If you really want to buy a screen,
I don't have that, but a good place to start:

www.car-part.com
Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Cruisin'

It seems like there is some decent interest in me producing a module for the USB touchscreen control.

I need a list of people who would be interested in purchasing one of these modules.

Please realize that the module could cost up to $150 or $200.
You can mark me down for one.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

I am considering building a docking station interface in the trunk for my laptop, maybe hang it from the rear deck. I have been throwing it around for a while, and now that I know there is a way to tap into the touchscreen functionality, I would say I am 100% committed.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

super job

hello
I am wondering what do i need to do what u do in your car. I need to knoe what you bought to make your navi look so nice and wonderful feature. I am new here and dont know too much about car and electronic. thank you very nuch
Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

Read the posts, he has pretty much been explaining him self...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 AM
8th Gear

D@mn that is impressive, looks great.

Will, you have to do this.....
Old 01-27-2007, 12:30 PM

One other question...
Why can't you just Y-Cable the touchscreen interface (oppsosed to using the relay)?

This would make the install a lot easier/cheaper and eliminate a step in getting to the interface.

The only drawback I could see would be all touchscreen actions taken in OEM "mode" will aslo be translated to the CarPC in the background. When you switch sources, who knows what you'd have done to the CarPC screen.
I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. The only thing you'd really be saving yourself is the time to soldering the board for the relay and providing power to the relay.
You'll still have to rip into the car to get to the back of the LCD, there's no way around that.

Are you planning to attempt this project Kennedy? I see that you're selling a UR stock sized crank pulley. Looking for trades?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Space for Rent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent work and attention to detail, Met! Congratulations on a job well done!! I am not electronically inclined at all, but I do love my gadgets. I think it is great that you had the foresight and figured it all out.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey met152, I had another idea. I was reading this thread when it first started up a while ago, then kind of stopped following it but decided to jump back in. I haven't read the entire thread from the first page until now, so pardon me if someone has suggested this already.

Have you thought about just putting together a super-basic computer whose only functions are to play DVDs and support the module that taps into the navi screen with the touchscreen interface? I'm not sure how the cost would play out in that scenario, but it may cost a good amount less and might be pretty cool for those who don't want a full-blown computer in their car but still want to be able to play DVDs and have the DVD drive in that little cubby hole where you installed yours...of course while still maintining touchscreen functionality while watching DVDs.

I know for me, I would probably never use a computer as a computer via my car because I've got a laptop and satellite internet (and wi-fi of course), so it'd kind of be a step backwards, technologically speaking, to use a carputer; however, I DO want a DVD player in my car for having movies played during long trips.

Just an idea.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. The only thing you'd really be saving yourself is the time to soldering the board for the relay and providing power to the relay.
You'll still have to rip into the car to get to the back of the LCD, there's no way around that.

Are you planning to attempt this project Kennedy? I see that you're selling a UR stock sized crank pulley. Looking for trades?
I am actually, now that you've validated my theory you can Y-cable this thing in. I already have an AVelectronics unit in place, and i don't want to have to re-engineer that solution... So the car PC would be one of the 4 available inputs... No that I would need them with this though.

You also have to gut the dash to run your USB and DVD, so it must be done. I'm particularly interested in NOT having to hit a 3rd switch to get the CarPC control.

Ugh, wish you had hit me up sooner on the Pulley, it sold today.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 PM
10th Gear

How did you connect the audio? Do you have any pictures?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

How did you connect the audio? Do you have any pictures?
He's using a Blitzsafe Aux in adapter.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Instructor

met152: i live in maryland i wonder how much will u install the samething u have it and im willing to driver up there contact aim: atlxckxthugz email: tonyphumd85@yahoo.com
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by tonyph33r
met152: i live in maryland i wonder how much will u install the samething u have it and im willing to driver up there contact aim: atlxckxthugz email: tonyphumd85@yahoo.com
You guys are nuts to think someone will do this for you. I don;t know proffessional shops that will take on a mod this involved.

I'm not speaking for met, but the purpose of his post was so others coudl DIY, at thier own risk.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by tonyph33r
$1000 labor only. You provide all the hardware. Software installation/configuration not included. No warranty.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
5th Gear

met - I was wondering if you have a picture (more of a closeup then the shot of it already hooked up to the back of the lcd) of the circuit board or the relay for the touchscreen (like the finished product), everything seems pretty straight forward but i keep second guessing myself on the setup of the pc board and the components i think if we could see a picture of it it would help a ton.

Also the same for the relay thats setup to the video, after coming out of the scan converter via rgb wherever this wire ends and connects to the video system.

thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by saurion
met - I was wondering if you have a picture (more of a closeup then the shot of it already hooked up to the back of the lcd) of the circuit board or the relay for the touchscreen (like the finished product), everything seems pretty straight forward but i keep second guessing myself on the setup of the pc board and the components i think if we could see a picture of it it would help a ton.

Also the same for the relay thats setup to the video, after coming out of the scan converter via rgb wherever this wire ends and connects to the video system.

thanks
I don't have any better pictures of the back of the lcd. Sorry

Fortunately, I do have a picture of the relay that's used for switching the video.
Video signal comes out of the scan converter and into the 9-pin cable. The 2 small black connectors plug in where the 4 wires (red, green, blue, and sync) were cut coming out of the dvd unit in the trunk. Normally, the signal passes into one of the small black connectors, and then right out the other one.
The 2 blue wires (I know, bad choice of colors), are for 12v and ground.

Hope this helps a little.. Wish I had a better picture of the relay behind the lcd.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:57 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up Nice!

Very impressive. Would you consider installing something like this in my TL? I would drive up to where you are to have a quality job done.

Quick Reply: CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation