CarPC installed into 3G TL with Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TechGeek85
Styop05,

I have the same problem as you, I tried to connect into what I thought would be the rgbs wires out of dom's unit but all I get is scrambled signals when i switch to the scan do. Did you figure out your problem?

Wrxboy,

I tried to use the harness from navtool to tap into the video just like Styop05. The reason for this is I already had the navtool and wanted to use that for iphone video (1 switch, no relay necessary) and then I have a relay to switch from the stock/navtool to the computer. I tapped into the wires out of the navtool, right before it reconnects with the harness that runs to the display. That harness has extra wires but should still only connects to the stock harness and should have the same pin-outs.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the video is scrambled?
One relay for the video should do it for me. I have the navtool unit that has a switch to switch the ipod. The only thing that I need to control with the relay is to switch between the normally closed stock nav unit and the normally open carpc.

I figured out that one of the main problems that I was having was improper grounding of the rgbs coax cables, that caused the screen to be scrambled. Now, after fixing the grounding problem I can see the computer screen when the relay switch is fired up but the screen is wavy, it has a small black line on the left side and the whole screen is wavy. I haven't messed with powerstrip yet to set up the refresh rate. I'm hoping that is my problem.

My setup goes like this, stock unit into navtool, navtool harness gets spliced before reconnecting with the wires to the screen. The splice is where the relay is connected and where the switching from stock to pc occurs. One of these days when I'm not lazy I'll draw up a diagram incase anyone else wants to do the same setup.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TechGeek85
One relay for the video should do it for me. I have the navtool unit that has a switch to switch the ipod. The only thing that I need to control with the relay is to switch between the normally closed stock nav unit and the normally open carpc.

I figured out that one of the main problems that I was having was improper grounding of the rgbs coax cables, that caused the screen to be scrambled. Now, after fixing the grounding problem I can see the computer screen when the relay switch is fired up but the screen is wavy, it has a small black line on the left side and the whole screen is wavy. I haven't messed with powerstrip yet to set up the refresh rate. I'm hoping that is my problem.

My setup goes like this, stock unit into navtool, navtool harness gets spliced before reconnecting with the wires to the screen. The splice is where the relay is connected and where the switching from stock to pc occurs. One of these days when I'm not lazy I'll draw up a diagram incase anyone else wants to do the same setup.
Power strip was the fix for me. Ill post up later what my settings are.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Ok so here is another question: I only want to connect my CarPC from the Scan Convertor. So....is there anyway to purchase just the wiring harness from a navtool etc so that I can create a splice that is plug and play vs cutting into the stock harness.

Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Cruisin'

WOW....you are a geniuss!!!! PROPSSS
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by SACREDZERO
Ok so here is another question: I only want to connect my CarPC from the Scan Convertor. So....is there anyway to purchase just the wiring harness from a navtool etc so that I can create a splice that is plug and play vs cutting into the stock harness.

Thanks again!
Sorry for the late reply but yes you can purchase just the harness from doms unit

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Power strip was the fix for me. Ill post up later what my settings are.
wrxboy, could you post up your power strip settings? I think that would help me out. Right now I'm fighting w/ my wiring and scan converter. I am not getting any red, just blue and green. I have to get out there with my multimeter but i've been way too busy lately. If u could post up your setting it would be a huge help.

(and p.s. you're a huge help on this site and one of the reasons why it's a freaking awesome forum, thanks again.)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

so how much do you want to do this to my 07 TL type-s? this is one sick setup, i'd be willing to spend the money to get it!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
10th Gear

The newest update: I have video! (kinda)... it's not scrambled any more. I was trying to power my scan converter from the usb line out of my netbook.... although on paper this should work, it should be 5V approx. 1 amp -- though it may have been less than 1 amp-- this was the main problem. The video was scrambled (probably underpowered) when going off of the netbook, with a ac/dc adapter it works fine. I thought that I tried this long ago, but oh well. Now I'm just not getting a red signal (I'm sure it's my wiring). So I have to take the relay out again, fix the red, and then I'm good to go!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
10th Gear

Ok... so i fixed the red wiring... Now I get a signal from that wire.... but I do not actually get red. The colors are all screwed up. I get blue just fine, the green is gray, and the red is orange. Bad scan converter? Still the wiring? I plan on buying another scan converter with the hopes that will finally fix my problem.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys. Ok so I'm not new to the car game, but I am new in my 04 TL! I have many mods started already but i am very interested in this carputer thing! I am changing out to the 08 factory nav setup soon. I want to use the 4 wire touchscreen usb controller, but I was wondering if anyone knew what wires I would need to tap into on the factory screen to interphase to the controller. And I suppose that these have to be relay driven as well to switch from controlling nav to controlling computer.

Thanks in advance for helping this TL newbie out!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jdot
hey guys. Ok so I'm not new to the car game, but I am new in my 04 TL! I have many mods started already but i am very interested in this carputer thing! I am changing out to the 08 factory nav setup soon. I want to use the 4 wire touchscreen usb controller, but I was wondering if anyone knew what wires I would need to tap into on the factory screen to interphase to the controller. And I suppose that these have to be relay driven as well to switch from controlling nav to controlling computer.

Thanks in advance for helping this TL newbie out!
I'm not sure why all the pictures were deleted from acurazine, but there used to be some pretty good pictures on this thread showing which wires. The 08 nav setup might be different, but for my 07 screen the wires are at the very top of the screen. When you pull off the back cover of the screen you'll see a ribbon cable at the very top (4 wire) and this is the cable that you need. The cable is inseparable from the screen and attaches to a connector on the board. The signals out from this cable are untouched resistive signals from the screen. The parts list on the first couple of pages gives the ribbon cables and connectors needed. I can't find any of the actual photos, but we'll see if this works:

as you can see the cable is very short. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 AM
10th Gear

Where are the pics? why were pics deleted? they will be very helpful for noobs
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 AM
10th Gear

Is there is any installer or anyone who can help in install carputer near LOS ANGELES, CA. i would even help him out if he wishes to charge for his skills. i have 06 tl and i need to know what things are needed which are updated.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

Hey guys,
I know this thread has been around a while and is mostly dead. Sorry about the missing photos on the first post. I canceled my hosting account where all the images were located. I think I have a backup of all the images somewhere. Give me a little while and I will dig them up and post them somewhere else so others can still benefit from this thread.

Also, I'm planning to sell my TL soon and will most likely remove the computer and all the associated components, unless I can find someone interested in the whole package (car with carpc). Anyway, if I do end up removing it, are there any requests for photos as I go to show more detail of how I did this mod?

If I remove it all, I'll probably try to sell the whole setup, computer, relays, cables, cd-drive, usb hubs, etc. Everything. Hopefully someone will be interested.

Mike
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by met152
Hey guys,
I know this thread has been around a while and is mostly dead. Sorry about the missing photos on the first post. I canceled my hosting account where all the images were located. I think I have a backup of all the images somewhere. Give me a little while and I will dig them up and post them somewhere else so others can still benefit from this thread.

Also, I'm planning to sell my TL soon and will most likely remove the computer and all the associated components, unless I can find someone interested in the whole package (car with carpc). Anyway, if I do end up removing it, are there any requests for photos as I go to show more detail of how I did this mod?

If I remove it all, I'll probably try to sell the whole setup, computer, relays, cables, cd-drive, usb hubs, etc. Everything. Hopefully someone will be interested.

Mike
Did you ever end up finding those pics again? I just found your thread and find it well put together just wish I could see pics of the interface. Did you end up selling the carpc?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TripleLex
Did you ever end up finding those pics again? I just found your thread and find it well put together just wish I could see pics of the interface. Did you end up selling the carpc?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the pictures that are missing from the thread. If I ever dig them up, I will be sure to post them here.

I sold the car, but I still have the carpc with all of the associated wiring, parts, etc for a full install. It's not exactly "plug and play" since you need to tap into the factory signals for the navigation display as well as power.

It's for sale if you're interested. Let me know via PM and I can take some photos and come up with a price for the entire setup.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
10th Gear

i wanna upgrade from non navi to navi cuz this car pc. do you install this in chicago area? how much would you charge?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

it's amazing if any of you repost the pics, it could be better if someone repost the diy.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

pic

every one saiy its simply, but w/o the pic how can i do it, can anyone post some pics or redo this mod for our 3G?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Here is a link to many of the old photos that were hosted on my webhosting account that is no longer active. Hopefully this will help anyone still thinking about performing this mod.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081197...eat=directlink

Also, I will be selling my CarPC setup (PC, ScanDO VGA->RGBs converter, dvd drive, blitzsafe audio adapter, wiring, relays, keyboard, usb touch interface, USB hubs, bluetooth adapter, wifi card for PC. If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM
10th Gear

those pics r very useful. thanks for the pic,save it in case
Old 01-02-2016, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

hello
anyone can wrote what parts need to buy to do same project