CAR PC installation info share - Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
CAR PC installation info share - Los Angeles

First, I'm always appreciates the Acurazine's Forum.

I am gong to install a CAR PC soon on my 04 TL non navi (currently I am testing backend and frontend software for bug).
I like to share information and installation if there is any one in los angeles area who want to install Car PC in the future.

I could help you set up a car computer frontend software on windows base operating system(VIsta is kind of compatibility problem but XP or 2000 works fine).

Since, I am new to this forum I cannot attach any file or image posting.
If any one interested? post it here or pm me.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
hi and welcome, I suggest you look at the audio sub-forum where you will find quite few threads on car-pcs. I think the best model out there is by a member KING OF PAIN
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Yeah I saw it but I don't like his frontend.... he use digital fx earlier version.
I might install pretty much same as him but my computer stay under passenger side seat(That way don't have to remove all the rear seat) and frontend software has been modified and update for less CPU usage.
Once I install and will be post to forum with new front end skin.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you dont have to remove the rear seat. i did mine just find without remove the seat. there is a small gap behind the seat. all i have to do is open the panle next to the seats and slide through and pull out from the trunk.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ikechun
Yeah I saw it but I don't like his frontend.... he use digital fx earlier version.
I might install pretty much same as him but my computer stay under passenger side seat(That way don't have to remove all the rear seat) and frontend software has been modified and update for less CPU usage.
Once I install and will be post to forum with new front end skin.
I've tested many other front ends/skins on my desktop PC; somehow I keep coming back to Roadrunner/DigitalFX. Personal preference I guess. I upgraded to Digital FX 4.0 this morning. My PC is strong enough to handle all future CPU loads and upgrades. I added an Asus pci express video card in January (has DVI as well as VGA) and it’s now up to 2 GB DDR memory. Yes, it's probably overkill but this little beast can do almost anything. No worries about CPU usage here.

Updated specs
Aopen XC Cube EZ482
AMD 64-BIT 3200 939 Socket CPU
Maxtor 160 GB IDE Hard Drive
2 GB DDR Memory
E-MU 0404 Sound Card
Asus EAX 1550 256M PCI Express Video Card w/ DVI, VGA
Edimax EW-7318 80211 b/g wireless LAN Hi-Gain Antenna
Opus 250w DC-DC PSU

I recently shrunk it to a smaller footprint too. It's now a 12x8x5 mini cube. Yea, I have a big a$$ fan sitting on top, mostly for looks. I had it sitting around collecting dust. Not meant to be pretty, just lots of brut strength

[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
10th Gear

wow how much would a mod like this cost? and how hard is the install? and what are the major advantages and disadvantages to a car pc to a navi?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Look cool King of Pain.
Digital FX4.0 works great with IG4 since we are deal with smaller version of monitor.

Mainly, I am going install CAR PC for GPS and MP3 so I do not need fast processor.
I have Jetway 1.6ghz, Mini-ATX Mb, 1gb Ram, 60Gb(OS) and 160Gb(MP3, Video)Hdd and M2-ATX power supply.

This car will be present to my daugther which become 18 years old soon (3 month away from her birthday).

I bought used hvac bezel on ebay for $69 include shipping(It comes with NAV sreen(crack), bezel and radio)
Since, I bought bezel for nav version I might reprogram or interfacing button on the bezel with car pc's command and joy stick mouse.(hack of lot's of work).

Do you have any recommandation King Of Pain? since you are frontier.

Any information will be welcome and accept my thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I recently shrunk it to a smaller footprint too. It's now a 12x8x5 mini cube. Yea, I have a big a$$ fan sitting on top, mostly for looks. I had it sitting around collecting dust. Not meant to be pretty, just lots of brut strength

[/IMG]
I can't really tell since the angle of the picture is odd but I expect that the fan on the video card will burn out soon. There isn't enough open space around it.
Also, I am concerned with overheating, even with the big fan. The problem here is not just the size of the fan and how much air it can move but also air flow inside the case. Currently, it looks like there is close to zero air flow around the video card due to that blue PCB card blocking it.
I am also concerned about the air flow around the CPU heat sink (which by the way is useless unless the heat it disipates is not caried away).

With that sad, this is probably the coolest looking carPC I've seen
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

voidtrance:

Good observation. I worried about the same thing. It gets very hot in Riverside County, around 105 degrees. That's why I decided to make this an open frame PC; there is no cover around it. It sits next to the sub in a cubby area that gives it about 3-4 inches of room on all sides. There is nothing next to the video card fan, just open space. Also, it sits on sorbothane pads to reduce vibrations too.

In this pic you have a better view of were it sits inside. The one of the pads can be seen.

Here is a link of the types of pads I'm using.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-SORBOTHANE-SOR...3286.m20.l1116

ikechun:

If this will be the main source of music for the the car I would recommend a good sound card. I found that most on-board/integrated sound solutions are very limited in the quality of the the sound.

ackuza:

The cost was around $1,000.00 for a set-up like this. The building of the PC is straight forward like any other PC build, just on a more condensed scale. The real work is the dash integration of the touchscreen. There are others who have done some great work with CarPCs. Here are some very good examples of the quality work around here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=carpc

Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

King of the pain:

I connected mother board integrated sound card ports to factory head unit for test( I used hon3 aux) wasn't really bad as I tought.
I am not planing to use after market AMP and Subs.(Stay with Stock)
This will be my daugther 18th birthday present up comming january.

I found NAV-Dash bezel on e-bay for 49 dollars and I try to using button and joystick integrate with PC.
I am planing to use I-PAC and Autoit for embbed with front end software.

Any suggestion?
BTW I like to use good sound card but my case are allowed to use it even I have pci slot.()

I really like your setup tho.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
3GTLS

voidtrance:

Good observation. I worried about the same thing. It gets very hot in Riverside County, around 105 degrees. That's why I decided to make this an open frame PC; there is no cover around it. It sits next to the sub in a cubby area that gives it about 3-4 inches of room on all sides. There is nothing next to the video card fan, just open space. Also, it sits on sorbothane pads to reduce vibrations too.
The fact that there is no wall next to the video card fan certainly does help the video card.

Purely from a "techically" point-of-view, no walls isn't good for the case either. In a perfect world, you'd figure out a way to channel the air that is moved by the fan so it creates a current that goes past the CPU heat sink (and any other components that need cooling).
What is happening now (with no walls on the case) is that the fan is sucking in air that is immediately around it. Depending on where the CPU heat sink is, it might not be getting any air flow at all.
Normally, high-end server cases are designed in such a was that the air inlet for the case is on the opposite end of the case from the fans. That way the fans create a vacuum inside the case, which sucks in fresh air from the other end of the case.

I am only saying this because your setup looks pretty sweet and I'd hate to see another thread in a few month about your CPU burning up (actually you'll start seeing random crashes of your carPC before it really burns up).
Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Finally, I install Dynamix 8.4" Touch screen on the HVAC bezel without cut the bezel.
I purchased Navi Version bezel on E-Bay for $49.00
8.4" monitor fit near perfect.
I am remapped all the factory button to PC so I can use all the button.
Here is the screen PIC.

All the HVAC has been extended and ready to in stall in about week.
CAR PC will be place under passenger seat.
Once I finish I will post more picture and sorry for dark quality photo.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
blue light aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by voidtrance
The fact that there is no wall next to the video card fan certainly does help the video card.

Purely from a "techically" point-of-view, no walls isn't good for the case either. In a perfect world, you'd figure out a way to channel the air that is moved by the fan so it creates a current that goes past the CPU heat sink (and any other components that need cooling).
What is happening now (with no walls on the case) is that the fan is sucking in air that is immediately around it. Depending on where the CPU heat sink is, it might not be getting any air flow at all.
Normally, high-end server cases are designed in such a was that the air inlet for the case is on the opposite end of the case from the fans. That way the fans create a vacuum inside the case, which sucks in fresh air from the other end of the case.

I am only saying this because your setup looks pretty sweet and I'd hate to see another thread in a few month about your CPU burning up (actually you'll start seeing random crashes of your carPC before it really burns up).
I have to agree with this post. You'd get better airflow if the case was sealed and put in a low mounted intake fan on one side and a high mounted exhaust fan on the other side. This is most beneficial since hot air rises and cool air tends to stay low.

This configuration would create the air current needed to continuously whisk hot air away from the components, but you'd have to mount these fans in such a way that inner components aren't obstructing the airflow.

All this extra effort would be even better if you could find a way to vent the carpeted enclosure as well as (but not in place of) the PC case.

I DO want to say, however, that I absolutely LOVE King Of Pain's install. His accomplishment is an inspiration to my ongoing audio install.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

ikechun,

So the Dynamix fits almost perfectly in the navi bezel? That's good to hear as I have thinking about using the navi bezel too. We need to get together on some weeknd to compare CarPCs. I live in Corona. That front end looks pretty sick. I need to go to mp3car.com and try it out. I check your thread there and it seems you're still working some bugs out of it. There always something to tweek. If I get a navi bezel would you be able to tweek it for me too?

BTW, you really 48 years old? Cool I'm 50, old guys rule!!!!! Show these kids how the old guys take care of business in SoCal

Hey trew and void,

Thanks for the advice. All is good and cool. I'll have to do something else for the PC ventilation on my next audio upgrade (4th time and last, really). I'm learning as much as I can about working with fiberglass. I want to try some fiberglass work this spring. I've been running this thing since april 07 (?). That's 2 summers at over 100 degree temps without any problems. I hope I didn't jinx myself
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

King of Pain,

Yes I am 48 years and couple months old computer geek live in the Los Angeles.

Dynamix 8.4" fits nicely if you remove face plate and trimed off little on the back cover(Black Metal).
Factory original Navi version of Bezel used 8.4" LCD as well. Once you remove face plate fits perfect if you remove button on the navi bezel.
That is the reason I trim the black metal cover on the dynamix screen.
I remove button interface on the dynamix and place between passenger AC control button and the dynamix screen and makes little hole same location of dynamix's button interface so that remote can be used incase you need to use other aux input(rear view camera etc..).

Live in Corona?Sure, I can help you with interfacing with navi bezel button to pc.(This Thread title says sharing info...lol)

btw, SKin that I used in a car pc uses less CUP and Memory usage compare to other skin it has lots of function.
But, it has most function that I need and in the future, I am going to interface OBD II with Car PC.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Very nice bro! Let us know the specs of your PC and also frontend and skin version. Also if you can share how you managed to get the NAVI buttons to work with your PC....Im looking forward to do this during the winter....
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Instructor

ikechun,

So the Dynamix fits almost perfectly in the navi bezel? That's good to hear as I have thinking about using the navi bezel too. We need to get together on some weeknd to compare CarPCs. I live in Corona. That front end looks pretty sick. I need to go to mp3car.com and try it out. I check your thread there and it seems you're still working some bugs out of it. There always something to tweek. If I get a navi bezel would you be able to tweek it for me too?

BTW, you really 48 years old? Cool I'm 50, old guys rule!!!!! Show these kids how the old guys take care of business in SoCal

Hey trew and void,

Thanks for the advice. All is good and cool. I'll have to do something else for the PC ventilation on my next audio upgrade (4th time and last, really). I'm learning as much as I can about working with fiberglass. I want to try some fiberglass work this spring. I've been running this thing since april 07 (?). That's 2 summers at over 100 degree temps without any problems. I hope I didn't jinx myself
Get together sounds great King, I guess at least the 3 of us are in the greater LA area (mid-wilshire here) =) I also been running my carpc for like 2 yrs with minor problems with heat since my laptop sits in 100F+ in the trunk. I'm leaning towards a mac mini running XP to go in the center storage area which stays nice and cool when the AC is on.
Only issue im trying to resolve now is how to get dual video out from it since i run 2 xenarcs.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 AM
04 TL - CAR_PC

New_Skin in Process

I am going to make new skin for my need.
It is not fancy but all that I needed is there.
It is transparency so can use any background images.
It will takes time to finish.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

New Skin..

Previous skins looks too much cartoonish.
So, I decide to go other skin (modified from kuo) that fits for me.
I like to keep it simple without using much flash.
Most of skins used too much of flash files that slowing down CAR PC performance.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
"Advance"

Would you provide the files so we can adapt it to our needs ??
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Getting ready to my mod. I was thinking of doing some things differently, would love to get some feedback:

- Plan to route video from PC using something like DOM's TVNAV2Go.
- Wire up the stock touch screen to be able to switch between the factory Navi. system and the computer

My goal is to keep things as close to factory as possible. The stock screen seems pretty good, so I was thinking I would do this instead of re-locating the factory screen, etc.. Plus it should allow me to "switch" back to the factory system at any time, should I see a need.

What does everyone think?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Cool

Originally Posted by onyx1121
Getting ready to my mod. I was thinking of doing some things differently, would love to get some feedback:

- Plan to route video from PC using something like DOM's TVNAV2Go.
- Wire up the stock touch screen to be able to switch between the factory Navi. system and the computer

My goal is to keep things as close to factory as possible. The stock screen seems pretty good, so I was thinking I would do this instead of re-locating the factory screen, etc.. Plus it should allow me to "switch" back to the factory system at any time, should I see a need.

What does everyone think?

You could use factory oem navigator screen with car PC but oem screen has 640X234(I can't recall correct number)native resolution only good for the DVD movie playback.

I know some company sells RGB - VGA converter (around 100 dollars)but font display on the screen will be fuzzy.

Imagine regulat TV used for the computer monitor(something like that).

That is the reason alots of modder choose VGA touch screen monitor for the car pc project.

If you are only for watching movie on the factory OEM navi screen it will work but more than that you should consider something else.

For my opinion? Install another monitor somewhere in the car that you can see with Car PC.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Hmm, thanks for the input. Maybe I should try to figure out an option to keep the stock setup, but just replace the screen. I really don't want to "relocate" the factory setup somewhere else, its too much a pain in the ass.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the input. Maybe I should try to figure out an option to keep the stock setup, but just replace the screen. I really don't want to "relocate" the factory setup somewhere else, its too much a pain in the ass.
call up dom at tvandnav2go, he has a reverse converter that converts the navi signal into RCA Video. Take out JUST the factory screen and replace it with a USB touch-screen with a video switcher. Put in the factory navi signal so you can still have the display, and you can control it with the little stick and the buttons. Then switch the video source and you have a car PC
Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM
"Advance"

^^ Humm this is a nice option for Navi Users....I'm more and more tempted to get a new car with navi LOL :P
Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Finally going to install into my 04TL

Its been awhile (I guess more than a month) testing a car pc along with touch screen.

I didn't want to install without burn test(Any possible cause).
Found the problem after install will be nightmare.

Wait is over, and going to install system tomorrow to my 04TL.
BTW, I am using different skin (kind of slow startup with 23,000 Mp3's - I am going to change mother board soon to intel duo with 2 or 4Gb memory).

On the navi joystick it work only push button (I broke while I play - soldering and desoldering... lol ) but, I manage how it work with CAR PC .

I don't need to take a picture for DIY (There is lots of photos how to... in this forum).

But, once finished I will post some pictures how it look.

Wish me Luck
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Good Luck ikechun.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Welcome to the Acura 3G CarPC Club.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Finally Installed

Finally finished spent 8 hours without eat.
Hardest part was the original HVAC move to bottom center console.
I used flexiglass for temp. solution but soon will be replace with solid wood frame since I am manufacturing cabinet doors. Wood frame will be much cleaner and more to factory look.
Anyway, computer works fine as I expected(Slow boot but I can live withit).
BTW computer placed under the driver seat some how there is AC bent outlet will cool down computer as long as I am driving(which I don't have to worry heating problem).

Here is some ugly out of focused photo attached.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Advanced

Hey, what screen do you guys suggest using? I'm concerned about getting something that can be seen in the sun, and while wearing polarized sunglasses. I've heard there can be problems with this.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Hey, what screen do you guys suggest using? I'm concerned about getting something that can be seen in the sun, and while wearing polarized sunglasses. I've heard there can be problems with this.
I believe Liliput makes transreflective monitor that can read from sun light but it ain't cheap (Around 600-700 dollars in 7").
I am using dynamix 8.4" wide screen it fits perfect with minor modification back of dynamix monitor not on the HVAC bezel.
Anyway, since factory original was not transreflective screen same way hard to see in direct sunlight.

I like dynamix monitor cause image is sharper than liliput and same as xenarc(could be same hardware manufacture) and easy to seperate LCD pannel from bezel.

Choice is yours ,
Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Hmm, well that is one thing I hated about the factory monitor - couldn't read in sunlight. I mean, I can't exactly control the sun, so it sucks.

The downside is I hear the Liliput transreflective monitor cannot be read when wearing sunglasses, which is worse than not being able to read it in the sunlight.

I'd probably do without the transreflective portion if forced to.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Hey, what is the boot up time for the setup all of you have? i.e. how long does it take from the time you start your car to have the system up and running?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
"Advance"

^^ I got a boot time of 21 sec totals frome the time I turn the switch ON to the time I can start using the PC.

Thats the best I could do since my power supply wait 5 secs (Opus150) before sending the startup command to the Board...I guess 21sec is pretty good, and it doesnt really matter to me!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ikechun
Its been awhile (I guess more than a month) testing a car pc along with touch screen.

I didn't want to install without burn test(Any possible cause).
Found the problem after install will be nightmare.

Wait is over, and going to install system tomorrow to my 04TL.
BTW, I am using different skin (kind of slow startup with 23,000 Mp3's - I am going to change mother board soon to intel duo with 2 or 4Gb memory).

On the navi joystick it work only push button (I broke while I play - soldering and desoldering... lol ) but, I manage how it work with CAR PC .

I don't need to take a picture for DIY (There is lots of photos how to... in this forum).

But, once finished I will post some pictures how it look.

Wish me Luck
Can you post all the equipment used and their model numbers. I am thinking about doing this.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Instructor

wow thats pretty sweet man. do you have any pic of the installation?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Originally Posted by aztec209
Can you post all the equipment used and their model numbers. I am thinking about doing this.
* Dynamix 816(8.4" Touch Screen Monitor)
* Jetway Mother board 1.5ghz C7 Processor
* Built-In 5.1ch Sound Card and Graphic Card
* 1GB Ram
* 60GB IDE (2.5") HDD for OS
* 160GB SATA II (2.5")HDD for MP3 and Movie
* M2-ATX Power Supply (150Watts)
* Mini ITX Case.
* USB DVD R/W
* USB GPS
* Logitech Bluetooth DiNOVO Mini Mouse/Keyboard
* USB HUB with Memory Reader
* USB GAME PAD (Used for NAVI Bezel Button integrate with PC)
* Blitzsafe Hon/AUX DMX V.2X factory radio AUX Input
* Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (I didn't use nLite for fastboot)
Boot up time from key on to road runner (Flash Skin taht I use takes more time than no Flash Skin)take 50 second.

* Road Runner for Front End, LSX Void 3.3 for skin (Initial Time to load skin from roadrunner took about 18 second but xport with USB GPS device initializing take another 45 second - I have to invetigate on this part).
without USB GPS attached takes total of 1 minute(From Key On to Skin).

* Iguidance 2009 for GPS program
* 20,000 MP3 and Movies

Last edited by ikechun; 11-16-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Waht is your opinion on this skin

I need your opinion on this skin currently I am working on it.
I can't spent much time with computer lately due to work.
I spare little bit of time daily so far this could be main skin screen(to finish? I have no idea when will be).

As you see skins are transparency so you could use your own like background.

I will not put any fancy options as other skin that kill memory and cpu load and slowing performance.

Skin will do GPS(Mainly focus on iGuidance), MUSIC, VIDEO, OBD-II (Car Diagnostic), Background changer, Day/Night Skin Changer, iList, and few other goodies.

Minimize of using flash.

I need your opinion that help me to finish

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Not my favorite skin, but I would just be concerned with it working...

Question for everyone: I live in Arizona, do I need to be concerned about temp.? It heats up a lot here in the summer and I am not sure how well a carPC is going to do in this kind of heat. The car sits outside in the hot sun in the summers, no shade.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
04 TL - CAR_PC

Not my favorite skin, but I would just be concerned with it working...

Question for everyone: I live in Arizona, do I need to be concerned about temp.? It heats up a lot here in the summer and I am not sure how well a carPC is going to do in this kind of heat. The car sits outside in the hot sun in the summers, no shade.
Mine I installed under the driver seat there is vent will cool down your pc while you use AC during summer.
My car pc has three cooling fan that included cpu.

I hope this will help you.

Quick Reply: CAR PC installation info share - Los Angeles