Cannot pair '05 TL with Galaxy S6 edge

Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Cannot pair '05 TL with Galaxy S6 edge

I'm having a very frustrating issue with my new phone. I cannot get it to complete the pairing process. When I get to the point where I have to name my device, the process just stop in the middle of me saying the name of the phone. I have no idea what to do. It seems to be related with the new "Trusted Device" policy in Android 5.0 that causes the issue.

I took up the issue on XDA but no help there. Here is my OP on XDA:
I'm trying to pair my S6 edge to my TL but I keep getting blocked by the trusted devices menu.

Basically I'm able to start the pairing process and setup a pair code but when my car asks me to name the device the pairing process stops. I get a notification that asks me to add the car to my trusted devices list but when I do my car keeps telling me I can't start the pairing process from the phone. It's like if I have to add my car to the trusted devices list before I start pairing in order to finish pairing the car and phone. Is there any way to disable to smart lock so I can pair my car? I never had any issues with previous galaxy devices.

It's worthy to note that I was able to pair my Gear 2 and Nexus 9 without all this hassle
I have also posted a video on youtube hoping somebody would eventually have the same issue

I will be so grateful to anybody that can help me pair my phone.

Thank you in advanced
Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Racer

Forgot to attach the XDA thread link: Can't pair S6 edge to Acura TL...trusted dev… | Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge | XDA Forums
Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My s6 edge searches for device but never finds my 07 tl-s. I think it my be my phone.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Racer

I've searched all over and i saw a lot of people are having problems pairing or keeping a stable connection with the S6 / S6 edge. I dont know what's causing the issue but it seems to be related to the newest generation of samsung phones. Hope they fix the problem soon. 😣
Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
May have to do with the BT radio inside the s6. I have an s4 on 5.1 and it works fine.

Does your car connect to any other BT devices? Make sure it's not the problem with the car.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dezymond
May have to do with the BT radio inside the s6. I have an s4 on 5.1 and it works fine.

Does your car connect to any other BT devices? Make sure it's not the problem with the car.
Ya, I had all the Galaxy S devices since the S2 and also the Note 3 and 4 and they all worked fine.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

My s6 edge will find other phones on blue tooth. I am about to try to connect my phone to a co-workers 15' fusion. He tried to connect his s6 edge to my car and it didn't work and my wife's iPhone 6 plus did not work.

Starting to think it my be the car with the problem.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
bad HFL?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1fstTL
bad HFL?
no, it works with every other phone.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pat
no, it works with every other phone.
The HFL-compatible phone list does not include the S6 or S5, but does include the Galaxy S1-S4. If there was a change in operating systems, that's probably what's causing incompatibility.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
enable the car mode on your phone first then try it should work
Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
The HFL-compatible phone list does not include the S6 or S5, but does include the Galaxy S1-S4. If there was a change in operating systems, that's probably what's causing incompatibility.
I have my Galaxy S5 paired. Works fine.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by dezymond
By 5.1, do you mean Lollipop?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Racer

I had S5, Note 4 and all previous phones worked fine. Will try car mode and report back
Old 06-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Racer

Same problem with car mode. I'm able to register the car within the app but when it brings me to bluetooth screen to select the Handsfreelink it disconnect while naming device. Are there any firmware upgrades i can install for that? Will buying a more recent navi DVD upgrade the systems firmware in some way? I still have the old 2005 DVD and never bought a newer one.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Advanced

My Samsung S5 use to pair with my car automatically with no issues, but recently I can't even find HandFreeLink from my phone. My car says the HFL is okay but yet I can't even find out.

I don't know what to do about it.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jequan_Sparxxx
My Samsung S5 use to pair with my car automatically with no issues, but recently I can't even find HandFreeLink from my phone. My car says the HFL is okay but yet I can't even find out.

Try with another phone or see if a laptop/PC gets the signal while in pairing mode
Old 06-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by polish_pat
Try with another phone or see if a laptop/PC gets the signal while in pairing mode
I'll have to try that.... If that doesn't work, maybe I'll disconnect my battery.

I tried with my iPad and never found it. My phone and iPad found eachother tho.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I paired my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 regular just fine on my 05 TL
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Android 5.0 Lollipop is loaded with all kinds of bugs. My Galaxy S5 was a dream machine until I upgraded to Lollipop. Since then, it's been a nightmare with 1 problem after another starting with having to charge the phone 3 times a day. Bluetooth paired OK, but never really worked quite right. If I initiated a call from the phone, and tried to do a 'TRANSFER', it wouldn't work so I had to voice dial all outgoing calls even if they were in the call log. Beware, there's Lollipop horror stories all over the internet. T-Mobile and Sprint users are all pissed off too as Lollipop turned their S5's into bricks as well. Don't know about 5.1 as they may have fixed all the problems. Time will tell.

2 weeks ago, I had had enough and after several dozen calls to Verizon Customer Service and Tech Support over these last few months, I screamed loud enough for them to finally send me a replacement phone, a 'Recertified' unit. Low and behold, it had KitKat on it, Android 4.4.4. Yayyy! Now all is right with the world again and my Galaxy S5 works just as it did when it was new last November. The Bluetooth even works the way it's supposed to too. Toto too? Yes, Toto too!

Old 06-17-2015, 12:31 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have not paired my S6 to my TL yet because i have not fixed/replaced my HFL unit. I have however connected it to my 2014 Ford Focus(work car) and can say that it has some weird issues but seems to work ok. I stream most music, sometimes it will connect automatically, sometimes it won't. When it does connect automatically the music is choppy for a few seconds and then goes really fast and then plays fine. I had a note 4 previously and it also had BT issues but only on Kit Kat, while connected to my galaxy gear watch the fidelity of music was reduced, after upgrading to Lollipop it worked perfectly however.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 AM
Racer

Important update.

I was able to pierce the mystery of my pairing problem. It seems as not all S6 edge are created equal.

Long story short, my dad got himself a new car, Benz GLA250, thats comes with networking capabilities when paired with a smartphone. His company supplied iphone didnt share the network connection with the car so he asked me to try with my S6. As i tried to enable bluetooth tethering, i couldnt find it. I made a few searches on XDA and found that some people are complaining about missing functions on their edge, BT tethering was one of the main features some people didnt have, others were missing some toggles also. It seems as some phones dont have it. Don't ask me why because its not a carrier restriction, some people on T-Mo had it, others didnt.

The only solution was to flash a custom rom with BT tethering enabled. As I didnt want to go through the entire flashing process, and also because i didnt want to trip knox in case it break SamsungPay, i called up my friend that had the same phone I didnt and found out he also didnt have BT tether. Since he didnt care about knox or Samsungpay, i flashed him a custom rom and was fianlly able to pair my TL with the edge, and was also able to connect to my dads car.

So i guess it's a software problem. Not sure why that option was left out for some, but i guess it'll be fixed in the upcoming 5.1.1 update. Also worth noting that samsung did release a fix for the missing toggles through an app in the galaxy store.
The following users liked this post:
Will Y. (06-25-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 04:33 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Jequan_Sparxxx

Welcome to the club. My S5 always worked and stopped communicating with the car's BT just yesterday. Both the steering wheel and the phone BT controls all work, but for some reason all of a sudden the car's BT and the phone's BT don't wanna know each other. The phone's BT does however pick other BT devices in the vicinity. I guess the only thing left to is try is pairing the car with another phone.

Stay tuned .............
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Racer

I bought myself a Galaxy Note 5 and i'm having the exact same issue. I ended up buying a Kinivo bluetooth receiver and just plugged into the AUX. Not sure why my TL stopped liking my phones since the S6