Canadian TL - Aux/iPod Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Canadian TL - Aux/iPod Options?

Having a bit of a hard time finding the answer to my specific question so I'm hoping a fellow Canadian TL owner (or anyone else who knows) can shed some light.

I am highly interested in adding support for an mp3 player and having the ability to control the tracks and view the current crack on my nav screen. I am so interested in this ability, that I am willing to own an Apple product to do so.

As I understand it, most of these devices use XM in order to function through the factory head unit.

As my vehicle is not equipped with XM (although I do have nav) am I still able to accomplish this through one way or another?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by shtewps
Having a bit of a hard time finding the answer to my specific question so I'm hoping a fellow Canadian TL owner (or anyone else who knows) can shed some light.

I am highly interested in adding support for an mp3 player and having the ability to control the tracks and view the current crack on my nav screen. I am so interested in this ability, that I am willing to own an Apple product to do so.

As I understand it, most of these devices use XM in order to function through the factory head unit.

As my vehicle is not equipped with XM (although I do have nav) am I still able to accomplish this through one way or another?

Thanks in advance!
Absence of XM doesn't matter. The headunit hook-ins on the back are identical with respect to U.S. v. Canada. Here's an example of a solution:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-160-usa-spec-install-633080/
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Originally Posted by ttribe
Absence of XM doesn't matter. The headunit hook-ins on the back are identical with respect to U.S. v. Canada. Here's an example of a solution:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633080
Thanks a bunch for that reply. I'm finding a whole bunch of info now after changing up my search criteria...

Only question I have now is how the unit gets activated without the XM button but I'm sure I'll find out.

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Thanks a bunch for that reply. I'm finding a whole bunch of info now after changing up my search criteria...

Only question I have now is how the unit gets activated without the XM button but I'm sure I'll find out.

Cheers!
Just use the CD button. The module "fools" the headunit into thinking that there is an extra 6-disc changer attached to it. Alternatively, use the button on your steering wheel that you press to switch from FM to AM to CD, etc.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Just use the CD button. The module "fools" the headunit into thinking that there is an extra 6-disc changer attached to it. Alternatively, use the button on your steering wheel that you press to switch from FM to AM to CD, etc.
Good to know, thanks for the clarification ttribe. I noticed in your thread that the track and artist weren't showing in your nav? Also did you end up working out the HFL issue?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Good to know, thanks for the clarification ttribe. I noticed in your thread that the track and artist weren't showing in your nav? Also did you end up working out the HFL issue?
USASpec does not show track and artist on the nav. You'll want to look into iSimple if that is an important feature for you (although, I must admit, I don't know what additional compatibility issues might arise).

Regarding an HFL issue - you have me confused. I didn't have a Hands Free Link issue with respect to my iPod. My only issue has been the occasional reboot of the song. Other than that, it's been a great addition to the car...especially given the length of my daily commute.

Last edited by ttribe; 03-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
iSimple works perfect for us Canadian TLs.

Fully compatible.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the isimple. My buddy has it in his 06 Cdn Tl, running with the XM and with full text. You use the mode button on the steering wheel to cycle till you get to the XM function. That simple.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Regarding an HFL issue - you have me confused.
The thread you linked to:

Cons: Doesn't pause when HFL is activated, I'm having
skipping issues (arrgghh)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Thanks for the replies everyone... that has definitely squashed my concerns for compatibility. Just gotta bite the bullet and own an Apple product now

Are there any other Mp3 players that can be controlled remotely through our head units like an iPod?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Ah, cant edit!

Also wanted to ask if the iSimple plays nicely with HFL.

Are any modules aside from the iSimple compatible/incompatible with our HFL?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:44 PM

The thread you linked to:
Ahhh. That's not a glitch; the HFL still mutes the music, it just doesn't cause the iPod to pause like it does a regular CD. For me, it's no big deal because I have an iPod Touch and it sits on my cup holder area. I just touch the screen to pause the music to take my call. In sum, there's no problem in the interaction between the USASpec and HFL.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone... that has definitely squashed my concerns for compatibility. Just gotta bite the bullet and own an Apple product now

Are there any other Mp3 players that can be controlled remotely through our head units like an iPod?
No other products that I'm aware of...I had to bite the bullet on Apple as well, but I really do like my iPod Touch. I use an Android phone though.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

No other products that I'm aware of...I had to bite the bullet on Apple as well, but I really do like my iPod Touch. I use an Android phone though.
Yup, same here with the Android. Oh well, as long as I can hide the iPod in my console and control everything remotely, I might be able to get away with people not knowing I own one