Can the Navi be switched into non navi TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the Navi be switched into non navi TL?

First off I just signed up for this site, I'm in the market for a TL and am doing all research I can before I make my purchase. My name is Immel and I've owned an accord before this and was part of Honda Society. I've tried searching both through Google and here but have not found the answer I'm looking for. The reason I ask is because most of the TL's I have found within my budget do not have navigation and I would really like to have that feature. So will a switch be Plug and Play or is it completely out of the question? Thanks for your time and hope to learn a lot from this place.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Immel, I wish getting Navigation in your TL was a simple Plug and Play. It's expensive and takes a lot of hours to install.

Sorry you're not finding a TL in your price range with Nav. Don't give up though.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
'06 Acura TL

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Navigation in the 3rd gen TL is worth approximately $800 when purchasing a used TL. When I was looking for my TL, I specifically was looking for one w/o navigation in order to save $ & because I have a Galaxy Nexus with Google Maps, which is definitely better than a 2006 navi system..

For your reference, I purchased an '06 stock TL (non-navi) for $18,895+tax. The car is literally immaculate with only 7,000 miles and comes with a 1yr/12,000mile warranty. GL finding YOUR TL!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Advanced

Nothing beats a built in navigation system no matter how good the phone is. Google maps doesn't re route automatically and require Internet reception. Have navigation in your car with updated maps and you'll see how worth it is having. Many people regret getting their TL without navigation.

I say if the OP wants navi then he should just save up a little longer and get it.

The navigation system might be an 06, but maps are available for updates.

Last edited by d5civic; 03-09-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I bought a non-navi and ended up doing the conversion.

It is worth you waiting if the cost difference up front is only about $800. It will cost close to that much in parts and the labor involved is pretty intensive.

In the end, the navigation is sub-par and I use my iPhone instead, but there is no doubt that the navi console wins hands down over the non-navi in appearance.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by d5civic
Nothing beats a built in navigation system no matter how good the phone is. Google maps doesn't re route automatically and require Internet reception. Have navigation in your car with updated maps and you'll see how worth it is having. Many people regret getting their TL without navigation.
The '04/5/6 Nav system certainly may not be perfect, but like I've always said, the best part of getting the car WITH Nav is that you'll never be one of the 1000's who didn't that wound up banging their heads into the wall afterwards wishing they had. Make no mistake about it, that screen is the heart of the interior.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
'06 Acura TL

Originally Posted by d5civic

I say if the OP wants navi then he should just save up a little longer and get it.

The navigation system might be an 06, but maps are available for updates.

Google Maps DOES re-route when you go the wrong way, maybe you've never owned a Android phone, but the navigation on Google phones include 'Google Maps BETA' which provides turn-by-turn directions & re-routes when taking a different route...opposed to the iPhone (everyone & there mom owns) which does not provide turn-by-turn navigation as it does not have "BETA"...& Verizon cell service is hands down the best, I never have connection issues..

Yes, the navigation is a nice toy to have in the car, but in the end, an Android device will get you to your destination just as easily as a TL navi
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Advanced

Wink

Originally Posted by ace2525
Google Maps DOES re-route when you go the wrong way, maybe you've never owned a Android phone, but the navigation on Google phones include 'Google Maps BETA' which provides turn-by-turn directions & re-routes when taking a different route...opposed to the iPhone (everyone & there mom owns) which does not provide turn-by-turn navigation as it does not have "BETA"...& Verizon cell service is hands down the best, I never have connection issues..

Yes, the navigation is a nice toy to have in the car, but in the end, an Android device will get you to your destination just as easily as a TL navi
You're right I don't have an android I got an iPhone, didn't know the google maps were different on both phones.

I still think its very well worth it to sve up a bit longer for a tl with nav. Adds good resale value if you ever decide to sell the vehicle
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In terms of Google Maps -

As previously stated, the re-routing does now work and is quite nice on Android GMaps. You can also now zoom to a view of a neighborhood, city, state, etc, and 'cache maps' preemptive to a trip, which allows you to be without a data connection but still zoom, nav, etc.

The built in nav is still superior in terms of function. I can not do a voice search to find a specific POI, I can not see weather or live traffic. I can not see satellite view. The Acura nav does not zoom out as I drive faster or in when I slow down, but I can hit the zoom button myself. I can make a phone call via the nav screen, as located from a POI. If the car loses GPS in a tunnel or city with big buildings, it still knows where you are based on driving speed, how you turn the car, gyroscope, etc. And yes, the car looks much nicer with it installed.

I was not first looking for Nav, but I finally found my new '05 TL ABP/Camel 6-Speed - only with Nav. I got it. My car was flooded out in heavy rains over a year ago - I just purchased the replacement a week ago as an '04 TL ABP/Camel 6-Speed (81,000 miles), with Nav for $12,500. That was after a year of looking, and knowing exactly what the car needed. Yes I was picky, I'm now the second owner and the car's great. If that fits in your budget - DO IT.

I've got a ton of bookmarked searches set up which are now useless to me, but go straight to AutoTrader/CarsDirect/eBay, etc etc etc for the exact car I had in mind. If that would help you, please just let me know.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I will save up a little longer in order to get a TL with Navi already in it. Though I use my Android phone now, I'd rather not have to keep looking down at my phone as it can get me in trouble with the law in my state since new phone laws have been applied. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
'06 Acura TL

Originally Posted by CruisinInBlack
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I will save up a little longer in order to get a TL with Navi already in it. Though I use my Android phone now, I'd rather not have to keep looking down at my phone as it can get me in trouble with the law in my state since new phone laws have been applied. Thanks again!
Or save yourself the $800 & get a car mount for your android device and spend just 35$