Bummer! Back-up DVD navi disc doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:42 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummer! Back-up DVD navi disc doesn't work

Bummer - the back-up I made of my DVD Navi (3.30F) does not work! It's a DVD+R9 disc and when it loads, it says "DVD Disc Error, consult your dealer" or something along those lines.

Anyone else have any experience with backing these discs up?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Racer

want I heard the DVD disk is dual layer Disc. Only unless you have dual layer DVD-RW then you can make a carbon copy.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:10 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have a dual layer burner, and I had a dual layer disc...

I think it might be the way I burned it though, since the disc is readable only in the burner and not in my DVD-Rom drive. Trying again shortly, but at $10 a pop it's not cheap.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

thanks for trying though
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Racer

I have couple questions it might help u out,

(1) does dual layer DVD has the + format or - format? if so, then what format does the navi dvdrom support? Also very likely the dvdrom does not support any RW disk.

(2) what did you use to create the DVD image? I would suggest CloneDVD becoz it can create an exactly carbon carbon of the dvd.

(3) What brand of the DVD blank disk you use? It might be the navi dvdrom is a bit picky.

(4) Just out of curiosity, what brand/model of the dual layer dvdrw did you buy?

-----------------------------------
I also have a DVD burner (but not dual layer). From time to time I do have some minor problem with backed up DVD disk and usually the problem lies from Q1 ~ Q3
Old 11-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Right now I think only +R supports dual layer (+R9). I actually remember a long time ago, people saying they were able to do it. I've been too lazy to try it with my LiteOn DualLayer drive. One of these days when I get my hands on the blank dual layer disc, I'll get around to trying it...

But at $10 a pop, even if you make a couple coasters, it's still cheaper than paying the dealer $300 for a replacement right?

As a side note, I heard LiteOn is the best DVD writer right now, especially since it has the widest support as far as custom firmwares and such... (I could start a whole 'nother thread about that....)

Here's why that's significant... Only DVD-R has the media identification pre-burned onto the disc. DVD+R does not. The firmware writes DVD+R as the identifier when you burn the disc. There is a custom/hacked firmware available for the LiteOn drive, to write DVD-ROM as the identifier instead. It was shown, that this simple mod, fixed the interoperability problems with many of the older stand alone DVD drives, like those from Sony. Perhaps this will address the Navi problem as well?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Racer

All I know is that our ELS player only support DVD-R disk. I am not sure about the Alpine Navi system.

I have not yet rearch on dual layer dvd burner yet. I am pretty happy with my Lite-on 8x DVD burner. (I got a year ago, it was 4x when it first came out, but with a firmware upgrade, it is 8x now.) Besides Lite on, benq is also a great brand too.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

1. Dual Layer uses the + format.
2. I used Alcohol 120%.
3. I used a Ritek D01 disc.
4. NEC-2510A

avs007: I know what you're talking about - that's the booktyping. I can set the booktype on the NEC as well. My choices are either DVD+R DL or DVD-ROM. And I've heard that the NEC series of drives (2500, 2510, and 3500) are actually the best drives on the market right now.

I also used a NEC 3500 to see if it was the burner... I'm starting to think it's the media and not so much the burner. I just realized after burning the first disc that I couldn't even read the disc with my normal DVD reader.

I have one last disc to try, and I'm not willing to just throw it out unless I have a better idea of what I need to do!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Racer

Alcohol 120% is as good as cloneCD/DVD in terms of ripping cd/dvd content. I am assuming you can mount the DVD image to your virtual drive and the computer has no problem reading it right? if so that confirms the image is a perfect rip.

Right now it is either Navi DVDROM don't support + R disk or your NEC burner is very picky on the media.

check
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/119065
http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/viewto...05790455b#7071

It might be firmware and also burning speed issue
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yes, the image is good, and I can even read the disc in my BURNER. Just can't read it in any other DVD-Rom drive. It's a Ritek D01 Dual Layer disc. Should work fine as it's one of the few DL media discs out there, but it's apparently being stupid.

I'm now gonna stick with the NEC-3500 - but still have access to the NEC-2500a if I need it. I'll read through your links...
Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Man, if you figure this out, I'm going to give you reps big time! Keep us posted!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Advanced

Meritline has Verbatim (95014) DL DVD+R (Dual Layer, Double Layer) Blank Media 8.5GB 2.4X in Jewel Case 3 Pack. Only $17 after $10 Manufacture Mail-in Rebate and $6 Meritline Instant rebate with Coupon Code "Verba6off" Exp 11/22

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/dl-...-verbatim.html
Old 11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I just called in to RMA my Ritek discs since they wouldn't even read in my several DVD-ROM drives (laptop, desktop, and friend's laptop). I finally was able to get it to read after I updated the firmware on my desktop's DVD-ROM drive. Meritline customer service is a bitch - the guy kept insisting that if it was a retail package you can't use the DVDs before a return. How do you claim defective if you can't use it? That blows my mind.

In any case after I return it I'll buy some Verbatim discs and give those a shot... but only once. If I can't manage it after the first disc I give up - no need in wasting $10 discs every hour. The more important question is "can we replace the DVD reader in the trunk with a different drive?"
Old 11-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lore
The more important question is "can we replace the DVD reader in the trunk with a different drive?"
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. The question boils down to if the cpu/firmware resides in the display unit or in the DVD reader unit. In my Sienna, I have a 3rd unit under the passenger seat that seems to be the "brains" of the NAVI but I don't see another unit like this in the TL.

I would love to swap out the NAVI unit from an MDX to get the extra voice features and the back-up camera or swap out the unit in the RL to get Live Traffic updates (but then we'd need to swipe the whole "i-drive" controller).
Old 11-23-2004, 02:04 PM
On the way!

You guys need to get a burner that supports bitsetting (aka book typing). I recently purchased an NEC ND-3500AG and found hacked firmware to allow me to switch all of my DVD+R, R/W, and R9 settings over to DVD-ROM for backward compatibility. I would be surprised if the navi drive were able to read a DVD+R9 formatted disc.

Once my dual layer meda shows up, I'll run a test it and let you all know how it works. I've already ISO'ed the DVD; I just need the new media to burn it to.

hehehe
Old 11-23-2004, 02:08 PM
On the way!

Yes, the image is good, and I can even read the disc in my BURNER. Just can't read it in any other DVD-Rom drive. It's a Ritek D01 Dual Layer disc. Should work fine as it's one of the few DL media discs out there, but it's apparently being stupid.

I'm now gonna stick with the NEC-3500 - but still have access to the NEC-2500a if I need it. I'll read through your links...
I can point you in the direction of that firmware I mentioned if you want it.... By the way - the latest firmware for the ND-3500AG is 2.18 (yeah - even the hacked one shows 2.18). The later firmwares support higher recording speeds on more brands of media (and yes - there's even a hacked version specifically meant for supporting high speed recording on all Ritek media).
Old 11-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Racer

A quick bit of research on the internet revealed the following:
Over 30 drives were tested, and the 4X Verbatim disc played successfully on 73% of all players and drives, while the 2.4X Ridata media had a 36% success rate
One way to circumvent some of the compatibility issues with DVD+R DL discs, many have suggested, is to change the discs' Book Type from DVD+R9 to the more familiar ROM. LiteOn, which manufactures the core components of the Sony 700 and 710, offers a Book Type utility that allows you to change the Book Type before recording, but by all appearances, the Sony drive disables that feature. When you open up Nero to burn the disc after running the LiteOn utility, the disc still appears as DVD+R9.
Fla-TLS seems to be right on the money suggesting changing the book type to improve compatibility. Even then, using verbatim discs will help even further. The only other limiting factor would be whether the laser on the TL drives can read the disc or not.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:08 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I can point you in the direction of that firmware I mentioned if you want it.... By the way - the latest firmware for the ND-3500AG is 2.18 (yeah - even the hacked one shows 2.18). The later firmwares support higher recording speeds on more brands of media (and yes - there's even a hacked version specifically meant for supporting high speed recording on all Ritek media).
I don't know if I mentioned this in another thread, but I did all that =) I bought the NEC drives a few months ago for this very reason. I had an NEC 2500 and then bought a 3500 this weekend to try the Navi disc out again. Both burners would burn a disc that was readable on my burner but nowhere else that I tried.

So yes, I've already set the booktype to DVD-ROM but even that wouldn't read properly on my desktop's DVD-ROM drive until I flashed the firmware of the reader. This leads me to believe that 1) the media's not 100% compatible or 2) the booktyping is only so useful if the drive can physically accept DVD+R9 media.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:13 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You guys need to get a burner that supports bitsetting (aka book typing). I recently purchased an NEC ND-3500AG and found hacked firmware to allow me to switch all of my DVD+R, R/W, and R9 settings over to DVD-ROM for backward compatibility. I would be surprised if the navi drive were able to read a DVD+R9 formatted disc.

Once my dual layer meda shows up, I'll run a test it and let you all know how it works. I've already ISO'ed the DVD; I just need the new media to burn it to.

hehehe
Good luck - and let me know what sort of success rate you have. Who'd you buy the discs from, and what sort of discs?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
On the way!

I bought a bunch of +r +rw and a few +r9 disks from www.issidata.com.

Their prices were decent - and I bought Verbatim disks.

BTW - NEC has a DVD compatibility chart on their German site. Let me find it....

Here it is: http://www.de.nec.de/software/1677_Media_List_for_16x_DVD_Writer_(DVT).pdf

That's a good guide for which brand to buy. Verbatim's seem pretty compatible.

Here's the firmware site: http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

I used the 218btrpc1.rar firmware, and am using the WinBTypeV2.zip utility to change book types. If you want to reset the number of changes back to 500, you can do it with the firmware flasher (NECWinFlash.zip)

Make sure you dump your current firmware to a file in case you want to go back. Oh - and make sure you have no CD/DVD burning software open when you flash the firmware (remember - if you have DirectCD it's probably running in the background and you will have to close it through the task manager).

Sorry for telling you all this if you already knew it. I just though I could perhaps save you some research time.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

No problem - I did know all that except for the DVD compatibility chart. For your test, try the Verbatim +R9 discs first. That's what everyone on the CDFreaks site said to use as test discs.

And yeah, that's the same site I got the firmware, as well as WinBTypev2.exe. I was actually just telling someone about that utility today on the CDFreaks forums.

Let me know how it turns out for you. I'm not holding my breath, though. I have a feeling this is more than just a media problem and might be related to the type of DVD-ROM drive we have in our cars.

Thanks!

I bought a bunch of +r +rw and a few +r9 disks from www.issidata.com.

Their prices were decent - and I bought Verbatim disks.

BTW - NEC has a DVD compatibility chart on their German site. Let me find it....

Here it is: http://www.de.nec.de/software/1677_Media_List_for_16x_DVD_Writer_(DVT).pdf

That's a good guide for which brand to buy. Verbatim's seem pretty compatible.

Here's the firmware site: http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

I used the 218btrpc1.rar firmware, and am using the WinBTypeV2.zip utility to change book types. If you want to reset the number of changes back to 500, you can do it with the firmware flasher (NECWinFlash.zip)

Make sure you dump your current firmware to a file in case you want to go back. Oh - and make sure you have no CD/DVD burning software open when you flash the firmware (remember - if you have DirectCD it's probably running in the background and you will have to close it through the task manager).

Sorry for telling you all this if you already knew it. I just though I could perhaps save you some research time.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 PM
On the way!

No problem - I did know all that except for the DVD compatibility chart. For your test, try the Verbatim +R9 discs first. That's what everyone on the CDFreaks site said to use as test discs.

And yeah, that's the same site I got the firmware, as well as WinBTypev2.exe. I was actually just telling someone about that utility today on the CDFreaks forums.

Let me know how it turns out for you. I'm not holding my breath, though. I have a feeling this is more than just a media problem and might be related to the type of DVD-ROM drive we have in our cars.

Thanks!
Will do.

Which firmware did you decide to run?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Will do.

Which firmware did you decide to run?
Well, I ran a ton of different ones throughou the weekend as I went through my 5 discs. Right now, I'm still with the TDK 2.79 OEM one since it supposedly had support for the Ritek but I will switch it to a more recent one as soon as I get some replacement media.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 AM
On the way!

I know the TDK and NEC drives are just about identical inside - but I wouldn't have the balls to flash an NEC drive with TDK firmware for fear that some of the controller chips may be different.

I'll let everyone know what I come up with.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:35 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I know the TDK and NEC drives are just about identical inside - but I wouldn't have the balls to flash an NEC drive with TDK firmware for fear that some of the controller chips may be different.

I'll let everyone know what I come up with.
They're identical drives. TDK does not manufacture the drives so they simply OEM the drives from NEC. A lot of larger companies do that... which is why the Mad Dog drive is NEC, etc. I remember back in the day when Iomega released a 12x burner that was actually a Plextor. We had a huuuuuuuuge thing going about renaming the firmware to say Plextor and all. It was pretty interesting back then - must have been 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Well I guess what it really comes down it is figuring out what kind of drive we have in our trunk so we can find something that it will read. Anyone adventurous enough to pull it out and see?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Racer

They're identical drives. TDK does not manufacture the drives so they simply OEM the drives from NEC. A lot of larger companies do that... which is why the Mad Dog drive is NEC, etc. I remember back in the day when Iomega released a 12x burner that was actually a Plextor. We had a huuuuuuuuge thing going about renaming the firmware to say Plextor and all. It was pretty interesting back then - must have been 3 or 4 years ago.
If you're interested to know who made your DVD/RW-DL,
Check out Videohelp.com
A quick glance reveals that there are only a few major manufacturers including Lite-On, Phillips, NEC, and Hitachi. A few makers like Pioneer will take an existing chipset like NEC and design their drive around it but most simply change the faceplate and put their names on it.

When it comes to DVD readers, the manufacturer base is significantly larger as the technology is more mature. It may be impossible to identify the manufaturer of our NAVI drives even if you take the drive apart. I tried some quick research to see if it's easy to find the types of drives that Alpine uses, but I came up empty.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Advanced

ttt

We should keep working on this...anyone post frequently @ cdfreaks? There's some good people over there that really know their stuff.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Geoffs: Yeah, I've been in the NEC forum a lot recently. Been following the 3500 threads about firmware revisions. David071 just sponsored some further "research" on this by helping out with the media purchases so as soon as I get the media I'll keep trying.

If someone here can figure out what sort of drive we have in the trunk that would really help. And if we can figure out whether that drive can be replaced, that would be very helpful!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Howdy, Lore!

Just to make sure that you have an exact copy (Alcohol 120% is a good product), you may want to try the "directory compare" feature of "Beyond Compare" (www.scootersoftware.com) to see if anything may have gotten dropped or corrupted. You may need two DVD drives (or a lot of hard drive space) to do this.

If you only have one DVD drive and lots (20 GB free) of hard drive space, UltraISO (www.ezbsystems.com) will build 2 ".ISO" images that you can do a DOS "fc" (file compare) command on.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 AM
On the way!

My media should be here today. I'll post my results!

I kind'a wish I hadn't ordered with to be delivered ground - the holiday weekend didn't help much either.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Howdy, Lore!

Just to make sure that you have an exact copy (Alcohol 120% is a good product), you may want to try the "directory compare" feature of "Beyond Compare" (www.scootersoftware.com) to see if anything may have gotten dropped or corrupted. You may need two DVD drives (or a lot of hard drive space) to do this.

If you only have one DVD drive and lots (20 GB free) of hard drive space, UltraISO (www.ezbsystems.com) will build 2 ".ISO" images that you can do a DOS "fc" (file compare) command on.
Hey there,

I was able to mount the Alcohol 120% image and perform a file compare with the discs I burned. It wasn't the data integrity once burned since I was able to do a compare, it was just the way the burnt discs read in the drives (or didn't read, rather). I'll do it again when I get my new media (Verbatim discs).

fla-ts: let us know how it goes. VERY excited to hear your results. Please be sure to post your firmware revision, program you used, and any other interest tidbits of information.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:50 PM
On the way!

Holy crap - it worked - first try.

OK - I was able to successfully burn the latest navigation disk (this is for the second gen {2.11B - I bought it before C came out} - which is also double layer).

Disclaimer: In my testing I tried to copy two items. One of them was a DVD movie that I own, and the other was the latest navigation DVD for the TL 2nd gen. I did this for the following two reasons:

1. I am a nerd and want to see what I can and can't do.
2. I am making a legal copy of a product I own for backup purposes. Please do not ask me to burn you a copy of the DVD as they are not available through me. Go buy your own at www.acuranavi.com

The movies were successfully copied to both DVD+R and DVD+RW disks with no issue. But that's not the point. I didn't want to wast expensive DL media if I couldn't verify the single layer stuff.

Here's the setup:

Software for ripping and burning: DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0
This is free software downloadable via a simple search on the Internet.

Additional software: Clone CD 5.0.4.2
You don't actually need the software, but I used the ElbyCDIO.DLL version 4.3.3.8 from it to act as the I/O device in DVD Decrypter. It's revision history shows that it explicitly supports this DVD burner.

DVD+/-RW drive: NEC ND-3500-AG

Firmware: Hacked version 2.18 (218btrpc1) available from a website that you search for very easily. The advantage this hack gives you is the ability to write backward compatible on DVD+R and DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM. The stock 2.18 firmware from NEC also allows this on DL media - so it may not be required.

Utility to change book type to DVD-ROM: WinBTypeV2.exe (available from same site as firmware. But the drive came - with stock firmware set up to do DVD-ROM on DL media.

If there are any questions, please post them here. I won't repond to PM's about this. I know there will be debate on my setup, and what's needed or not needed, but it worked for me! Best of all - most of the software is FREE!

If you find this advice useful - please rep me!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wait - you were able to burn it, no doubt, but DOES IT READ in the car? That's the all-important question. I was able to burn it as well but could not have it read in the car.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:19 PM
On the way!

Wait - you were able to burn it, no doubt, but DOES IT READ in the car? That's the all-important question. I was able to burn it as well but could not have it read in the car.
Yes - I've been looking up locations all across the US. Try it yourself and report back.

I've actually replaced my regular DVD with it and it starts and works fine.

I wouldn't have posted without knowing that the unit would read it.

FYI - The part number of the Verbatim disk is 94912
Old 11-29-2004, 08:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Sweet. I'm too excited to contain myself.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:27 PM
On the way!

Me too!!!!!! Please confirm my findings!!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I will use the same firmware you did, and use the same burning application with the DLL. (Can you send me that DLL, btw?) I need to wait for my media first though!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 PM
On the way!

OMFG! The navi actually works FASTER with the backup media! The unit is slow (as normal - after my 2.11B/C upgrade) but standard lookups (like where I grew up and a few other places) are much faster now. BTW - I had to reset what state I was in. Apparently it lost that...

This is definitely looking like a potential mini "navi speed upgrade"? The verify operation from DVD Decrypter never read below 2.1x (or so). Therefore, I estimate the DVD player in my navi unit as 1x (just a SWAG).

Lore - you can download the latest version of CloneCD from SlySoft and verify the DLL version. The DLL is included with it.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 PM
On the way!

...I need to wait for my media first though!
Just curious - did you order from the same place or did you find better pricing?

Quick Reply: Bummer! Back-up DVD navi disc doesn't work