Bummer! Back-up DVD navi disc doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 09:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to find better pricing elsewhere but I ended up ordering from issidata anyway because 1) you ordered from them, so I knew they were trustworthy, and 2) they were in WA for faster shipping. The cheaper place was in FL.

I called them up and ordered 2 packs of 3.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:31 PM
On the way!

FYI - it looks like that firmware might have disabled bitsetting for the DL media. The DVD appears to have been written as +R. Perhaps OEM 2.18 firmware would be better for burning DL media. I'm going to try some others.

It still works though - had it in the car all day today.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

you guys rock. this could be the beginning of big things (navi hacking, etc???) thanks for being the guinea pigs.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
On the way!

OK – here’s where I’m currently at. I’m now using firmware LD_V1.zip (it's brand new - same website) and following the readme in it that refers to DL burning:

"A few people have reported a problem with BOOKTYPE (DVD-ROM ) while burning a DVD+R9 (DL) disc with 2.18 firmware. You are advised to switch on BOOKTYPE DVD-ROM in your burning software before burning a DL disc then switch it back off for SL +R discs."

Therefore – I’m setting all single layer bitsettings to DVD-ROM by default and DL settings to +R. When I need to burn a DVD+R9, I just invert the settings - SL goes to +R and DL goes to ROM (after all - how often will you burn DL discs?)

I burned another copy as a test and found that using the above changes indeed wrote the DVD in DVD-ROM format. It gave me a few odd errors when calculating the optimal L0 data zone (to which I kept hitting retry), but it appears to work fine (bug maybe)?

BTW – I must be on crack saying that it’s faster. It’s not. It must be my "butt dyno" kicking in again!

I'm considering this experiment done.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Chief

Maybe you guys can help me out. I just purchased an 05 TL 6MT w/ Navi and also want to use the screen for a DVD player. How is this possible??? What do I need to purchase and what is a good brand??? Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
Maybe you guys can help me out. I just purchased an 05 TL 6MT w/ Navi and also want to use the screen for a DVD player. How is this possible??? What do I need to purchase and what is a good brand??? Thanks a lot for the help.
Please do a search on that. There are many good threads about it, and a little research will get you linked up to the right information and people quickly.

I personally don't know much about that.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Racer

fla-tls and lore should get more rep points for their find!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:55 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by fla-tls
FYI - it looks like that firmware might have disabled bitsetting for the DL media. The DVD appears to have been written as +R. Perhaps OEM 2.18 firmware would be better for burning DL media. I'm going to try some others.

It still works though - had it in the car all day today.
So what you're saying is even though you burned it as a DVD+R DL it still read in your car? Wow, maybe those drives in the car read more than I thought!

By the way, how did you manage to set the booktype in DVD Decrypter? (Per the readme which states to change the book type in the burning application). My understanding is that DVD Decrypter only supports changing the booktype for these brands:

BenQ
LG
Lite-On
Nu Tech
Ricoh

Or did you change it using that Winbook type utility?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:37 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by Lore
So what you're saying is even though you burned it as a DVD+R DL it still read in your car? Wow, maybe those drives in the car read more than I thought!

By the way, how did you manage to set the booktype in DVD Decrypter? (Per the readme which states to change the book type in the burning application). My understanding is that DVD Decrypter only supports changing the booktype for these brands:

BenQ
LG
Lite-On
Nu Tech
Ricoh

Or did you change it using that Winbook type utility?
Initially (for my first tests) I changed it with WinBTypeV2. This time I used Nero CD Speed v3.55. I think either would work. I just made my changes prior to opening up DVD Decrypter (the changes hold).

Yeah - the drive in the car was reading a +R disc. I've since put the -ROM in there and will continue to run my my backup in the car.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 AM
On the way!

One other thing. The net effect of switching firmware from 218btrpc1 to LD_V1 is that my burn speeds on the Verbatim 8x single layer media (which has a note on the side of the spindle stating that it's compatible with 12x hardware) indeed went from 8x to 12x max.

About 2/3 through the disc it backed off to about 10x, but the resulting disc was fine. The firmware's a worthwhile upgrade if only for the additional media types and burn speeds it supports!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Advanced

OK - I was able to successfully burn the latest navigation disk (this is for the second gen {2.11B - I bought it before C came out}
Just noticed something...this is on a 2G TL? Not necessarily a positive sign for 3G owners as the DVD drive might have changed.

Side note, any deals on DL RW discs? I would rather buy one RW disc and keep trying over and over again instead of dropping $10 everytime I try a different setting.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:16 PM
On the way!

To my knowledge there are no such things as DL RW disks (yet).

Let's see what Lore comes up with in his confirmation of the setup.

I personally think the results will be positive because both DVD's are double layer. Time will tell.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

To my knowledge there are no such things as DL RW disks (yet).

Let's see what Lore comes up with in his confirmation of the setup.

I personally think the results will be positive because both DVD's are double layer. Time will tell.
The media is on its way from Ohio. Should be here by Friday. Thanks for your patience, everyone.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Advanced

For those looking for a Dual Layer DVD-Burner...

PC Connection has the nec 16x Dual layer DVD writer ND-3500A on sale for $49.95 after rebate. Tax in OH, MA and TN. Item 5430000

Free 50 pack Fuji DVDR after rebate, too!

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5430000

BTW - I'm not advertising, I'm not making any money on this, I'm just trying to help those following this thread....
Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

Sorry to change the subject but does anybody know if you can get a back up camera for the 04 TL with Navi, I wanted to get one and splice the wires to hook up an auxilary input.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:28 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KidKarna
Sorry to change the subject...
Dude, then don't change the subject! You post the same thread high-jacking post in three different threads. Just start a new thread.

Edit by Mod Ron A: Your reply won't make much sense now because I deleted his post. Actually he did it in seven different threads. He won't be doing this again.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by underdog_RENAMED2
For those looking for a Dual Layer DVD-Burner...

PC Connection has the nec 16x Dual layer DVD writer ND-3500A on sale for $49.95 after rebate. Tax in OH, MA and TN. Item 5430000

Free 50 pack Fuji DVDR after rebate, too!

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5430000

BTW - I'm not advertising, I'm not making any money on this, I'm just trying to help those following this thread....

Is this the same burner that was used in the successful burn? I recall seeing ND-3500AG. Does that just mean it was a different color? Can I use the same firmware that was used in the successful burn?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:09 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by underdog_RENAMED2
Is this the same burner that was used in the successful burn? I recall seeing ND-3500AG. Does that just mean it was a different color? Can I use the same firmware that was used in the successful burn?
Yes, yes, and yes!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
On the way!

Yes, yes, and yes!
:gheywave:

Details please! How did it go?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:43 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I haven't burned anything yet - the media is at my friend's apartment. They picked it up for me since I couldn't get it in time so I have to grab it from them this weekend. Will let everyone know shortly.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:59 AM
On the way!

Oh - I took it from the prior message that you'd had a successful copy.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Edit Navi Yellow Pages Database?

Now that we can copy the navi disc, anyone have any idea how hard it might be to edit the navi database? I live in CA and would like to burn a "CA Only" navi disc, so when I search for a restaraunt I dont have to scroll thru 100 yellow pages entries from FLorida when I want to find the one 10 miles away!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:32 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by nologic98
Now that we can copy the navi disc, anyone have any idea how hard it might be to edit the navi database? I live in CA and would like to burn a "CA Only" navi disc, so when I search for a restaraunt I dont have to scroll thru 100 yellow pages entries from FLorida when I want to find the one 10 miles away!
I don't think it's possible. The database is one huge file, and without a way to read and edit the data I doubt we can edit it. I don't even know what format it is!
Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 PM
On the way!

As far as editing goes - there are some great articles I've read regarding highly qualified people's efforts. It would take a tremendous amount of work to change anything.

I reached the opinion that if we as owners want anything changed - we're better off expressing our opinions to the manufacturer and getting them to change it. An example...

I want the disclaimer screen to be skipped.

Perhaps a legal disclaimer could be signed that removed liability of any accident or injury from the manufacturer because you were to busy punching buttons to see that a car pulled out in front of you. Maybe it could be signed at purchase - and the liability upon sale of the vehicle would be transferred to the current owner (i.e. you have to get the buyer to sign the same disclaimer when you sell your used car).

I'm sure there are ways to get this done. The damn ambulance chasers actions just make it too difficult on the public in the end.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:30 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well.

I did everything you did, fla-tls... including obtaining the Elby I/O driver, using DVD Decrypter, etc, but it still didn't work. Burnt properly as a DVD-ROM disc too @ 2.4x using Liggy's firmware.

This time the disc reads VERY well in all of my DVD-ROM drives. Just won't read in the car

I think our new TLs have a different type of drive than yours. Without pulling it out it's hard to tell what kind of drive it is. Any further suggestions?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Racer

Oh!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
On the way!

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately - I have no suggestions that would be 3rd gen specific.

If there is an owner in the central FL area 3rd gen navi that would allow me to attempt to copy their own legal DVD as a backup for them - as I did mine, I'd like to give it a shot.

I have one more DL to burn up and I can't think of any better purpose for it.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I am trying it with a different firmware. I'll report back shortly, but right now I'm busy watching the Cal vs Southern Miss game
Old 12-04-2004, 07:57 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You know what's weird, by the way, is when I try to run a CDSpeed.exe test on the disc when it's in the burner, it's read VERY slowly. I wonder if that has something to do with it... sometimes I wonder what the hell am I doing wrong... if anything!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well.. still no go with the second disc and second firmware!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hey fla-tls:

I have a few questions for you since you're making successful discs.

When you run cdspeed.exe, what does it say under Disc Type when you read it with your DVD Burner? Does it say DVD-ROM or does it say DVD+R DL? Even though my booktype is set properly to DVD-ROM it still shows up as a DVD+R DL disc.

When I stick it in my DVD reader, it shows up as a DVD-ROM disc @ 31.25 gigs! Something is definitely not right here. Furthermore, the disc can't be read faster than about 3.75x. Are you seeing this too?

edit: Okay, I upgraded the firmware to my DVD reader (a JLMS XD-166S 16x/48x drive) and now it sees it as a proper 6.32 GB DVD-ROM disc. So I'm burning it correctly, bitsetting's working correctly as far as a reader goes... but no success
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
On the way!

I use DVD Decrypter to read the book type. Put the DVD in there and switch to ISO read mode. It will show two things

1. That it's physically +R media
2. What is was last recorded as ROM or +R

Yeah - DL discs are slower to read. Mine will start out around 3x and go up from there.

Lore - are you using the firmware that I used (posted above)?

What does the navi do when you put in the burned disc?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

fla-tls,

Yes, I used the firmware you used for the first disc, and then switched to Quickee's V2 Milestone Standard for the second disc. Both discs are readable everywhere but the car.

The car will show the Acura screen first and right before it's ready to show that yellow "hit okay" screen it displays a dialogue box saying the incorrect disc was inserted and to contact dealer.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately - I have no suggestions that would be 3rd gen specific.

If there is an owner in the central FL area 3rd gen navi that would allow me to attempt to copy their own legal DVD as a backup for them - as I did mine, I'd like to give it a shot.

I have one more DL to burn up and I can't think of any better purpose for it.

I would like to partake in this experiment as I own a 04 TL and live in Orlando area... well actually DeBary just north of Orlando if you would like to try it. What part of Orlando do you live?

Just a side note, not that's it's relevant here but, the Navi DVD (a previous version ... I think 3.20) in my 04 TSX works in the 04 TL. The TL came with verison 3.30G.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by rmastbro

I would like to partake in this experiment as I own a 04 TL and live in Orlando area... well actually DeBary just north of Orlando if you would like to try it. What part of Orlando do you live?

Just a side note, not that's it's relevant here but, the Navi DVD (a previous version ... I think 3.20) in my 04 TSX works in the 04 TL. The TL came with verison 3.30G.
Well, let us know!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Cruisin'

see....now you guys got me curious about this. Don't see a reason why everyone is doing this but what the hell....I'll give this a try. I have an '05 so I believe that I have the 3.40 version.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM
On the way!

Well, let us know!
My brother owns an '04 navi. and lives in Orlando. I'm going to just copy his.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:35 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My brother owns an '04 navi. and lives in Orlando. I'm going to just copy his.
Sounds good - and if you use a different firmware version, etc, let me know. As far as I know you're still using Liggy right?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as editing goes - there are some great articles I've read regarding highly qualified people's efforts. It would take a tremendous amount of work to change anything.

I reached the opinion that if we as owners want anything changed - we're better off expressing our opinions to the manufacturer and getting them to change it. An example...

I want the disclaimer screen to be skipped.

Perhaps a legal disclaimer could be signed that removed liability of any accident or injury from the manufacturer because you were to busy punching buttons to see that a car pulled out in front of you. Maybe it could be signed at purchase - and the liability upon sale of the vehicle would be transferred to the current owner (i.e. you have to get the buyer to sign the same disclaimer when you sell your used car).

I'm sure there are ways to get this done. The damn ambulance chasers actions just make it too difficult on the public in the end.
The disclaimer screen is here to stay, unless you can sign something that will apply to all future drivers of the vehicle, including the gal that you sell it to a few years from now.

Personally, I'm verrry glad that the disclaimer screen is there!

Why?

Because it allows us to use the Navi system while the car is moving. Not all manufacturers allow that.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

fla-tls,

Any luck with your relative's TL?

Quick Reply: Bummer! Back-up DVD navi disc doesn't work