bluetooth bluetooth bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluetooth bluetooth bluetooth

With the advent of the new 3rd generation TL and its capabilities, many people have asked me questions about bluetooth and compatible services and handsets. Your current choices include T-Mobile, Cingular and AT&T Wireless. Depending on your geographical location, each service will be behave different. I wanted to let everyone know as well that I am setting up an affilitation with another company on the West Coast (california) to perform firmware upgrades in case some of you don't want to send your phone all the way to Dallas and be without it for that many days. I am still looking around for an East Coast Representative so we can maximize the TL experience for each and everyone of you. If you guys/gals have any questions, feel free to email me questions. I'll be more than happy to answer them. I have received numerous emails about Verizon and the Motorola V710.... I guess its been a popular one but we all have to be patient with that one. Below, you will see a couple bluetooth phones that I recommend. (not in any particular order).

* Sony Ericsson T616 & T610
* Sony Ericsson T630 & T637
* Nokia 6820 & 6230
* Siemens S55
* Sony Ericsson T68(i)
* Nokia 6310i

I offer firmware upgrading services as well as offer the firmware upgrade kits (with respective firmware versions). I am also working on getting an account to try to offer you guys the best prices on upcoming phones like the Sony Ericsson K700 and the Nokia 6230 so keep your eyes peeled for group buys. If you have any questions, comments or would like to send me encouraging words, you can find me online or email me. Some of the proceeds coming from bluetooth kit sales will be going to this board. thanks!

This post was approved by Astroboy, however will not destruct in 10 seconds
Old 05-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Mobilezen, any reason the Motorala V600 isn't on the list?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AND SPRINT PCS as well...
Old 05-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Cool

Originally Posted by Ken7
Mobilezen, any reason the Motorala V600 isn't on the list?
Yes there is....because I forgot. The Motorola V500/V600 series is a very solid series and something I would recommend if you enjoy clamshells...The Sony Ericsson Z600 is another one I would recommend as well. On the V500/V600 clamshells though, just like everybody, I have read of the problems and these usually linger for about a month or two due to personal experience with new handsets getting firmware/hardware fixes. Currently I am using a T616 that I am about to sell. Only used it for a week and a half but its been by far the most amazing Sony Ericsson I have used to date as far as reception and call quality go. Nokia has always been a favorite of mine but they have slipped a bit. Thank Goodness for the 6230!

Originally Posted by pabound
AND SPRINT PCS as well...
I haven't seen any bluetooth enabled phones besides the Sony Ericsson T608. I used to have CDMA service through Verizon but I gave it up for GSM service via T-Mobile and haven't turned back since.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

verizon?

does verizon have a phone?

are they getting one?

they are the best in the area DC metro but last time i checked they said no.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mredding
does verizon have a phone?

are they getting one?

they are the best in the area DC metro but last time i checked they said no.

Verizon is getting the Motorola V710 within the next couple months. I have heard from friends in the DC Area preferring T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless over Verizon.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

When will cingular sell the T637?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryder1650
When will cingular sell the T637?
Cingular should have stock soon. I saw the T637 on the website and it said COMING SOON. Shouldn't be too long until they are in stores.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Racer

I bought a Sony Ericsson Z600 about 2 months ago - but I got it off-network. The guy at the store helped me transfer my stuff to the chip, then popped it in and bingo - all ready. None of the local providers had any Bluetooth phones that worked for me, and I was less than a year into my contract. The Nokia phone I had kept crashing.

I have to say I love this phone. I hope it'll work well with the TL when I eventually get it. Anyone else tried that model? I'm also going to set up the bluetooth link to my PDA - one of these days
Old 05-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Cingular should have stock soon. I saw the T637 on the website and it said COMING SOON. Shouldn't be too long until they are in stores.
It was on cingular's site?? I check it everyday and have never seen that phone on it.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pot80h
I bought a Sony Ericsson Z600 about 2 months ago - but I got it off-network. The guy at the store helped me transfer my stuff to the chip, then popped it in and bingo - all ready. None of the local providers had any Bluetooth phones that worked for me, and I was less than a year into my contract. The Nokia phone I had kept crashing.

I have to say I love this phone. I hope it'll work well with the TL when I eventually get it. Anyone else tried that model? I'm also going to set up the bluetooth link to my PDA - one of these days

Could you tell us, please, what network was it on, where did you get it and did they charge you anything for using a non-network phone?
Old 05-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Racer

It was on cingular's site?? I check it everyday and have never seen that phone on it.
Ryder- Not sure what he is referencing but I don't think it says "Coming soon" on Cingular's sight, could be wrong though. However, I am a Cingular employee and can tell you for a fact that the 637 should be available in the next 2-3 weeks. I am already using the 637 myself. So far so good.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:56 AM
BOOK EM

Which clamshell will work BEST with our car, that will have all the indicators in the MID?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More questions than you can shake a stick at ...

mobilezen -

I'm currently experimenting with a S/E T610 through T-Mobile. My first T610 had multiple lock-up problems, and I returned it after 5 days of usage. The replacement T610 has locked-up once already. I'm not sure if the phone is faulty, or if the operating system just sucks. I had plenty of operating system issues with my Motorola V60, and I don't want to go through that again.

My "SW Information" on my T610 is:

R1S001 prgCXC12-5600_US_3
R1S001 prgCXC12-5586_TAE_US_3

Is there a firmware upgrade that I should be getting to make it more stable?

Also, I had one kiosk phone salesperson tell me that as of 01-MAY-04, AT&T now has back-up GSM service through T-Mobile. He said that this is supposed to be part of the Cingular / AT&T merger.

(1) Is it true?

(2) Does this mean that if I went with AT&T, I will automatically get AT&T's and T-Mobile's coverage area combined? (We don't have Cingular out here). Or, do I have to "switch" my preferred provider on the phone, and be locked into that service?

(3) Does the backup provider (if there is one) only allow a few extra channels to AT&T, or do they get the whole network? For example, if a cell site for the backup provider supported 1,000 channels of communication, does AT&T get access to all 1,000 channels, or could it just be 50 channels reserved out of the 1,000?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pot80h

^ Which Nokia phone did you have? The Z600 is a mighty phone. I must agree. R5B001 firmware is available for it and the people that I have done the upgrade for have experience more stability and smoother menus.

^ Yes, as captain said, its on the COMING SOON section.

Originally Posted by danno
Which clamshell will work BEST with our car, that will have all the indicators in the MID?
^ I like the Sony Ericsson Z600 followed by the Motorola V500/V600 series but if you want all the indicators on the MID, go for the Z600.

Originally Posted by Wordsmith
Could you tell us, please, what network was it on, where did you get it and did they charge you anything for using a non-network phone?
^ Currently, no providers have the Sony Ericsson Z600. T-Mobile was supposed to get it in their lineup by now as their customized firmware was made available but this also might be a European release. If you're interested in getting one, I can offer you a firmware upgrade before sending it to you. When I had my Z600, I used it on T-Mobile. It was great and almost flawless.

¿GotJazz?:Firmware version R6C005 is out for the T610 and yes, it will make your phone a little bit more stable. BTW, I am selling my T616... this phone is very stable with T-Mobile. Almost done doing my write-up for my research between both phones. Now to answer your questions:

1.) The kiosk person doesn't know what he's talking about and sometimes neither do I but that's why I do my research. In some areas of the U.S. T-Mobile and AT&T have roaming agreements, not "backup" towers. T-Mobile and Cingular however do have roaming agreements with each other on the East and West Coasts but I would not call them backup towers, just roaming agreements.

2.) If you search for a network and find AT&T, see if you can select their network. If you can't, that means roaming provisions between T-Mobile and AT&T have not been setup in your area therefore the kiosk guy is an idiot.

3.) In theory, if there was a backup provider, the customers would get access to the towers regardless of size. It should accomadate all customers.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
mobilezen -

I'm currently experimenting with a S/E T610 through T-Mobile. My first T610 had multiple lock-up problems, and I returned it after 5 days of usage. The replacement T610 has locked-up once already. I'm not sure if the phone is faulty, or if the operating system just sucks. I had plenty of operating system issues with my Motorola V60, and I don't want to go through that again.

My "SW Information" on my T610 is:

R1S001 prgCXC12-5600_US_3
R1S001 prgCXC12-5586_TAE_US_3

Is there a firmware upgrade that I should be getting to make it more stable?

Also, I had one kiosk phone salesperson tell me that as of 01-MAY-04, AT&T now has back-up GSM service through T-Mobile. He said that this is supposed to be part of the Cingular / AT&T merger.

(1) Is it true?

(2) Does this mean that if I went with AT&T, I will automatically get AT&T's and T-Mobile's coverage area combined? (We don't have Cingular out here). Or, do I have to "switch" my preferred provider on the phone, and be locked into that service?

(3) Does the backup provider (if there is one) only allow a few extra channels to AT&T, or do they get the whole network? For example, if a cell site for the backup provider supported 1,000 channels of communication, does AT&T get access to all 1,000 channels, or could it just be 50 channels reserved out of the 1,000?

Thanks!
I agree with mobilezen

1)Probably not. The intercompany roaming agreements can change in each market. Who knows what will happen after the merger, but certainly not a salesperson?
2) It does not mean that.
3) That is not the way it works. If another carrier's cell is "open" to ATT and you cannot get reception on your network, it will utilize the cell if it has capacity at that point in time.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by captain
3) That is not the way it works. If another carrier's cell is "open" to ATT and you cannot get reception on your network, it will utilize the cell if it has capacity at that point in time.
FALSE:and this is why... If your mobile provider cannot give you any reception where you are, AT&T would not even let you sign on to their network. The only way you will be allowed is if you call 911. Otherwise, with as much capacity as their tower may have for customers, it will not let you sign on and make a call... Save up your change in case you need to go to a pay phone.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Verizon is getting the Motorola V710 within the next couple months. I have heard from friends in the DC Area preferring T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless over Verizon.
I don't know about NoVa (northern Va/DC), but in the southeastern part of the state (Norfolk/Va Beach) metro area, Verizon's service and capabilities are much better than either T-Mobile (with the exception, of course, of their spokesperson) or Att&T. Now if they'd only get that v710 OUT!!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
I don't know about NoVa (northern Va/DC), but in the southeastern part of the state (Norfolk/Va Beach) metro area, Verizon's service and capabilities are much better than either T-Mobile (with the exception, of course, of their spokesperson) or Att&T. Now if they'd only get that v710 OUT!!!!
I had a friend that lived in Newport News and he said the only providers there were TDMA services and Verizon and that was it. When I had verizon, it was a solid performer but my sister kept on saying "You gotta try this service" and my initial thoughts were blah. Lo' and behold I tried it and the call quality was like the first time I had ice cream, so sweet.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Racer

Which Nokia? Erm... I think it was one of the 6000's - silver with GSM and Bluetooth. (they don't provide it anymore).

I bought the Z600 from a local Cingular store in Vegas that sells off-network phones too. We'd researched the phone online and discovered a local seller. I'm with AT&T and have been for years. With GSM, I can put my AT&T chip into ANY GSM phone and it acts as mine. I can swap with my Husband and use his Motorola, or even go back to the Nokia if I need to. AT&T sees no difference - they can't tell what I'm using

I was particulary impressed when I was in LA last week. The Z600 automatically switched networks to get me the strongest signal, where the Nokia kept dropping the calls. Perhaps the AT&T/Cingular merge helped, but it was much better this time.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Drifting

It depends how you have your network selection setup as well. If you leave it on manual, then each time you go out of network range your signal will drop. On the other hand, if you go with automatic detection, then it will pick up another network if they allow it. I think the phone you had was the Nokia 6310i...that one is a solid phone as I used to own one. All in all, mobile phones are like computers with a personality of their own. So far this year, Sony Ericsson has impressed me the most. Can't wait to get my hands on a K700 this coming week hopefully.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Racer

FALSE:and this is why... If your mobile provider cannot give you any reception where you are, AT&T would not even let you sign on to their network. The only way you will be allowed is if you call 911. Otherwise, with as much capacity as their tower may have for customers, it will not let you sign on and make a call... Save up your change in case you need to go to a pay phone.
Mobilezero - You need to read closer, I said if the other carrier is "Open" (People in the industry are familiar with this term)... When a carrier is "Open" to another carrier this means that they have a roaming agreement with one another and the customer is permitted to roam on this co's network by AT&T. This doesn't mean that it will free, it could be rerated or be charged to the customer as roaming. However, if it is "Open" the customers phone will be able to use that network. Hope this clears it up for you.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Racer

I bow to the superior knowledge of mobilezen! It was a 6310i !! I had to go find it to remember. Don't know why it got all squerrly on me, but almost every time I pulled it out, it was off, and it would crash while I was trying to make calls. Made me feel uncomfortable about it "being there" in emergencies. My sister has the same phone in the UK, and hers is fine too - I guess I got a bad one. It happens

I think my Z600 is set for auto handover. Hubby had to change the settings on his Moto to get a better signal in Santa Monica. I like the clamshell designs (no more "bag calls"), and this one is nice and solid - doesn't feel like it could snap in two.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Drifting

Aww shucks. I just do my research and try to help people in the process. Sounds like your 6310i is due for service fix. Instead of calling it a bad phone, a phone that performs like that just needs to be fixed and updated because the 6310i is an amazingly solid phone with bluetooth and no frills. The award for the most fully featured phones though goes to Sony Ericsson. They have impressed me throughout the first half of the year and I can't wait to see what is coming next from them.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
damn there's a lot of great info in here!

thanks Mobilezen
Old 05-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Mobilezero - You need to read closer, I said if the other carrier is "Open" (People in the industry are familiar with this term)... When a carrier is "Open" to another carrier this means that they have a roaming agreement with one another and the customer is permitted to roam on this co's network by AT&T. This doesn't mean that it will free, it could be rerated or be charged to the customer as roaming. However, if it is "Open" the customers phone will be able to use that network. Hope this clears it up for you.
^ The term "Open" has many meanings in the mobile industry so please define it. I think you meant open slots, if I'm not mistaken but you used it too many times in your reply that I got confused. To reiterate what I said in an earlier post, if I have T-Mobile and I get no signal but there is an AT&T tower nearby, (given that these are the only networks nearby) the only way I will be able to sign on their network is if I dial 911. It doesn't matter if there are any open slots on the tower or not. In another scenerio, T-Mobile and Cingular have roaming agreements in California and NY so it is possible to roam with them. I do see what you're saying though and I see that we typed the same thing in two different manners. It is possible to roam with smaller networks like Western Wireless (Cellular One), Advantage Cellular Systems, and/or Commnet Cellular but in the case of the mobile giants, currently T-Mobile and Cingular are the only ones that have setup provisions to roam.

Originally Posted by Astroboy
damn there's a lot of great info in here!

thanks Mobilezen
^
Old 05-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Racer

So will Verison have other bluetooth phones other than the v710 soon?. I looked at the 710 and it looks like it will be very expensive. The first indication is that it is a Motorola phone and motorola spends a lot on marketing. Plus I recently signed up with Verizon on a 2 year plan like 6 months ago. I do not beleive I will be able to get the new contract discount. i will probably have to pay MSRP, which will probably be upwards of $300.

I'm in SOCAL, and I had verizon for many years and Verizon was great in NYC and now in SoCal. I would not want to change carriers, but I'm not going to pay MSRP on the v710 and I have to have a buetooth phone for my new TL.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM
100k miles club

hey mobilezen, didn't see anything on your list about nextel/motorola. is it coz it doesn't need your hookups when it's finally released? or it's not going to be compatible?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Racer

^ The term "Open" has many meanings in the mobile industry so please define it. I think you meant open slots, if I'm not mistaken but you used it too many times in your reply that I got confused. To reiterate what I said in an earlier post, if I have T-Mobile and I get no signal but there is an AT&T tower nearby, (given that these are the only networks nearby) the only way I will be able to sign on their network is if I dial 911. It doesn't matter if there are any open slots on the tower or not. In another scenerio, T-Mobile and Cingular have roaming agreements in California and NY so it is possible to roam with them. I do see what you're saying though and I see that we typed the same thing in two different manners. It is possible to roam with smaller networks like Western Wireless (Cellular One), Advantage Cellular Systems, and/or Commnet Cellular but in the case of the mobile giants, currently T-Mobile and Cingular are the only ones that have setup provisions to roam.
^
What I meant by "Open" is referring to the roaming tables that each company keeps. If ATT allows roaming on T-Mobile in a certain city then T-Mobile is considered "Open" to ATT in that city.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

For those stuck with Sprint:
I bought a Sony-Ericsson T608 two weeks ago. It's a great phone, gets very good reception, and the blue-tooth connection with my TL is excellent. Find the thread here that posted the 800 number to call Sprint for the phone's special order, you won't be disppointed!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Drifting

What I meant by "Open" is referring to the roaming tables that each company keeps. If ATT allows roaming on T-Mobile in a certain city then T-Mobile is considered "Open" to ATT in that city.
Too bad AT&T is not that giving. At the end of last year AT&T was doing some tests and allowed T-Mobile to roam on them for almost a week straight and there was a survey done on Howard Forums. After that week, AT&T closed off all their towers to AT&T subscribers only. The scenerio your talking about would be better described between T-Mobile and Cingular as that is the most prevelant roaming agreement in the United States.

Originally Posted by scarslos
For those stuck with Sprint:
I bought a Sony-Ericsson T608 two weeks ago. It's a great phone, gets very good reception, and the blue-tooth connection with my TL is excellent. Find the thread here that posted the 800 number to call Sprint for the phone's special order, you won't be disppointed!
Stuck? I guess I have to agree Sprint is pretty terrible but good thing they have a bluetooth phone out. Another place to check is eBay as I know a couple e-merchants are selling the phones.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Racer

Too bad AT&T is not that giving. At the end of last year AT&T was doing some tests and allowed T-Mobile to roam on them for almost a week straight and there was a survey done on Howard Forums. After that week, AT&T closed off all their towers to AT&T subscribers only. The scenerio your talking about would be better described between T-Mobile and Cingular as that is the most prevelant roaming agreement in the United States.
I was giving a hypothetical example. However, you are incorrect, Cingular does roam on T-Mobile and AT&T. In some areas Cingular roams on AT&T more than T-Mobile. I work for Cingular and work with the files that detail the roaming minutes and know first hand.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Drifting

I'm not here to debate whether or not who roams on who. I know enough people in engineering for each mobile provider to give you detailed specs. I have yet to see Cingular roam on AT&T. Let's get back to the subject on hand. BTW, if you work for a carrier, I would advise you not to say it as some information you give could be deemed confidential. I'm just a gadgethead who likes to poke around for information.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Racer

Old 05-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Nothing to my knowlege here is confidential, why would you think it is. I take great care to make sure that nothing confidential is divulged.
It is just common practice not to divulge any confidential information about your company. A lot of the information on GSM networks can be found on the net. You just have to know where to look. I am not doubting your knowledge of GSM roaming networks. It is just that the GSM networks behave a bit different in Texas, California, and New York. I know it is different in Georgia because T-Mobile used to be Omnipoint so I can understand where roaming provisions could be different.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Racer

I switched between AT&T and Cingular in LA last week... but I don't know if I was roaming or if I had the West Coast package...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Drifting

You were roaming. Don't listen to us...we're just getting into a technical banter. :lol2:
Old 05-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Racer

I'm used to that. I'm surrounded by geeks - all my friends are either programmers or graphic artists who work with them. If you could learn by osmosis, I'd be one now!

Roamin' roamin' roamin'.. Rawhide!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Racer

Agree one must be very careful about what is discussed. However, everything we have discussed on this forum is available to the public online. Look at wirelessweek.com.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Agree one must be very careful about what is discussed. However, everything we have discussed on this forum is available to the public online. Look at wirelessweek.com.
Ohhh! That's a new site for me. I just browse technical sites for gsm jargon and decipher it myself. Sometimes its fun finding out stuff rather than people telling you BUT it is very time consuming and I have plenty of other hobbies too.

Quick Reply: bluetooth bluetooth bluetooth