Best way to stream audio via bluetooth '07 Type S

Old 09-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys... I searched and found a few good, but old articles on ways to get your phone to stream audio via bluetooth to a 2007 TL type S.

I usually just use Pandora and would love to be able to do this, but was wondering what the best way to do that is now. Anything new?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:36 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Usa-spec BT45acu. Does Bluetooth audio and some other things and you can use your steering wheel/ factory radio controls. Best part is it plugs into the xm radio module in the trunk so you don't have to mess with the dash at all!
The following users liked this post:
smsTL (09-17-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Wow, that looks like a great product. A litle expensive, so I might not get it right away, but that definitely looks like the one I will go with. Thanks a bunch!

Do you have to route the mic though? That seems like it could be difficult
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Google Bluetooth to auxiliary adapter
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
ISHD651

Can't recommend it enough.
Supports bluetooth streaming and integration with full control
Bluetooth calling
Hardwire iPod/iPhone hookup with full control
USB drive music

On your Type-S it has an AUX input.
You can just use a Bluetooth gateway if you want to save money.
You won't have any control over your music unless you actually pick up your phone to control the music, which might be illegal and dangerous.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I love the integrated adapters for sure.

The Bluetooth aux. adapter might be a good substitute until I'm ready to drop 200 bucks on the real deal though....
Old 09-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
ISHD651

Can't recommend it enough.
Supports bluetooth streaming and integration with full control
Bluetooth calling
Hardwire iPod/iPhone hookup with full control
USB drive music

On your Type-S it has an AUX input.
You can just use a Bluetooth gateway if you want to save money.
You won't have any control over your music unless you actually pick up your phone to control the music, which might be illegal and dangerous.
I was under the impression ISHD651 wasn't compatible with Type S due to XM traffic... Am I mistaken and confusing it with an older iSimple product?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
I was under the impression ISHD651 wasn't compatible with Type S due to XM traffic... Am I mistaken and confusing it with an older iSimple product?
Oops, you're right
Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Oops, you're right

Only reason why I knew was because I bought one off a member here because he SWORE it would work. Installed and lo and behold of course not. Then he wouldn't accept a return and I had to open up a paypal claim.

So lesson learned, use PayPal for BM and I know definitively it doesn't work
Old 09-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I bought this to connect through my aux and you can even answer phone calls, skip tracks, etc

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories

Ive never been so happy
Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I believe the Type S has an AUX input, although I don't remember if it's in the center arm rest or not? You can run the Blackberry music gateway. I use it in my RL, but we have the center arm rest aux cable input so the unit stays hidden in there, and it powers off the 12V that's also in our center console.

Unit is dirt cheap and has the advantage of having minimal interference in the factory setup. Although if the AUX input is out in the open in the Type S I would go with other proposed options.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
Usa-spec BT45acu. Does Bluetooth audio and some other things and you can use your steering wheel/ factory radio controls. Best part is it plugs into the xm radio module in the trunk so you don't have to mess with the dash at all!
i second that. the usa-spec bt45 acu works great. been using it since January. its the only unit compatible with the nav traffic xm tuner to stream music
Old 08-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLOORED
i second that. the usa-spec bt45 acu works great. been using it since January. its the only unit compatible with the nav traffic xm tuner to stream music
Bumping my own old thread here......

Of course, like 99.9% (at least it feels like that) my HFL module went out... I was wondering, if I went with this unit, would I need the HFL...? I notice on the site, it mentions that the HFL is still used, but do I Have to? and since I no longer have HFL, would this unit still work for bluetooth phone and/or audio?

Last edited by MilanoRedDashR; 08-04-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MilanoRedDashR
Bumping my own old thread here......

Of course, like 99.9% (at least it feels like that) my HFL module went out... I was wondering, if I went with this unit, there isn't any connection to the HFL, is there? I took my module out completely since some were reporting battery drain, but this unit, I'm assuming is completely independent from the HFL?
yup completely independent.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Instructor

When it mentions on their site that you can still use HFL, I'm assuming that's if you choose?

Like, before my HFL went out, I had a cheap wireless bluetooth adapter for streaming music, but I also used my HFL for phone calls... Even though my Bluetooth adapter could have made calls too...

Old 08-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

yup. your phone would be pairing to both the HFL and this.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Instructor

I don't have HFL anymore though, took it out, as it quit working.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

then the HFL would be out of the question. and you'd just be streaming audio straight to this.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Instructor

What about phone calls? Are the vehicle phone buttons used or not?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

https://www.usaspec.com/p-314-bt45-acu.aspx

• Crystal clear sound quality with all speaker playback
  • Noise cancellation DSP harware & CVC (Clear Voice Capture) software
  • Automatically switches from AM/FM/CD, SAT & etc., to Bluetooth mode upon incoming calls 1
  • One button to answer/end/reject calls from the radio or the steering wheel
  • Incoming caller number display and announcement
    • Enable/disable caller # announcement from the radio
  • Toggle between hands-free and phone (for privacy) from the radio

Now you're just getting lazy.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Oh come on, don't be a dick bro.. If you don't want to respond, don't respond.

All my questions are in relation to the fact that my HFL unit is gone... Which you would have known had you read my original post ;-)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Audio/Phone

If you want an inexpensive way to do this, as long as you have aux (not 100% sure if your car has this or not, I have an MDX) the you can buy a bluetooth receiver on amazon for less than $20. You cannot use the car's buttons but a button on the reviser itself and the mic is in the receiver also. I have used this in my 2006 MDX and it works well and the mic picks up audio well. Let me know if you are interested in this method and I can give you the specific model I use. Agin, you have to have a 3.5mm aux in your car for this.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:46 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I was having a similar dilemma recently. Luckily due to the info on AcuraZine I went with the USA SPEC BT45ACU. The install is plug and play and it's been working beautifully since installed. I love that it doesn't override the HFL, as I don't have the mic connected to my BT45ACU, so it streams my bluetooth audio then switches over to HFL when a call comes through.

If you're on the fence about which blue tooth module to go with I recommend the BT45ACU without a doubt!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Pod

I already have the I simple version for my ipod. I think there is a module that also plugs in to it Bluetooth and has on screen data. It also has an auxiliary in. so you cab just get a Bluetooth dongle and switch between inputs.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone needing help in 2019

I just bought my acura TL 07 and the hands free link(Bluetooth) wasn’t working. Talked to a mechanic at a local acura dealership and he told me mine was unplugged. I didnt want to pay to have him hook it back up but i didnt want to attempt to hook it back up and somehow end up doing harm. So I went out to bestbuy and got some tech. to compensate for the HFL. Its $30 and works great, sound quality is still there for those who stream pandora,apple, spotify, etc. Also comes with two usb slots.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 986 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSurf_TL_07

I just bought my acura TL 07 and the hands free link(Bluetooth) wasn’t working. Talked to a mechanic at a local acura dealership and he told me mine was unplugged. I didnt want to pay to have him hook it back up but i didnt want to attempt to hook it back up and somehow end up doing harm. So I went out to bestbuy and got some tech. to compensate for the HFL. Its $30 and works great, sound quality is still there for those who stream pandora,apple, spotify, etc. Also comes with two usb slots.
Your HFL was probably unplugged because it's a faulty unit and was draining the battery leaving the car dead. Who uses them anyway?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Wow my old ass thread lives!

of course since my OP, the HFL died on me.

i ended up getting the BT45 a couple years ago, it’s so slick. Kinda expensive but worth every penny. Basically an OEM replacement
Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
My OEM BT still works.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^ +1

I used mine all the time when I had my TL. I did added the Grom BT to stream (which I still have for sale).
Old 09-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Others may not care, but I would never use an FM transmitter for any audio that's not radio. It sucks.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

^ I don't know about that. I am using one from Walmart in my work vehicle and its actually pretty good. I play music, videos, and calls which all work fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Charg...iABEgIk2fD_BwE
Old 09-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Has anyone heard about the Usa-spec BT45acu causing issues with the car battery? I just installed this in my '08 TL-S the other day and it worked great to stream music, except that that same day after I drove it somewhere and let it sit for a couple hours, the car would not start. I had to call to get my car jump-started which didn't work at first. The guy then recharged my car a few minutes by revving his car with the jumper cables connected, until my car finally had enough juice to start.

Before driving home I turned off all the electrical stuff I could, and made sure to drive the car for at least half an hour before shutting it off to hopefully recharge the battery. But it was dead again today when I went to start it. I've never used the HFL. My car battery is less than a couple years old, and this is the first time I've had issues with starting the car since replacing the battery. Could the fact that I had the trunk open for maybe an hour while installing this, and that I started the car a couple times right after each other while testing it, have seriously drained my battery this much?

Last edited by Antonio K; 09-19-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added product name
Old 09-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Antonio K
Has anyone heard about the Usa-spec BT45acu causing issues with the car battery? I just installed this in my '08 TL-S the other day and it worked great to stream music, except that that same day after I drove it somewhere and let it sit for a couple hours, the car would not start. I had to call to get my car jump-started which didn't work at first. The guy then recharged my car a few minutes by revving his car with the jumper cables connected, until my car finally had enough juice to start.

Before driving home I turned off all the electrical stuff I could, and made sure to drive the car for at least half an hour before shutting it off to hopefully recharge the battery. But it was dead again today when I went to start it. I've never used the HFL. My car battery is less than a couple years old, and this is the first time I've had issues with starting the car since replacing the battery. Could the fact that I had the trunk open for maybe an hour while installing this, and that I started the car a couple times right after each other while testing it, have seriously drained my battery this much?

have you disconnected the HFL?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

IIRC the HFL is always draining the battery even with engine off. Disconnect it. There are a few threads on how to do it.

Also, other factors here would be:

What is a couple of years? 2..3 years
What kind of battery is it?
What else is installed?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
IIRC the HFL is always draining the battery even with engine off. Disconnect it. There are a few threads on how to do it.

Also, other factors here would be:

What is a couple of years? 2..3 years
What kind of battery is it?
What else is installed?
I've had my TL for over 5 years now. I think the previous owner said they had the HFL replaced, but I've never even tried to turn it on or test it out. Are you guys saying that the HFL is somehow connected to this Bluetooth thing for music streaming? I thought they were separate systems.

My car battery is an Everstart Maxx, which I got because it was recommended by Consumer Reports, and the manufacture date on it is March of 2018, so about a year and a half. The only other time I've had trouble starting the car before is whenever my car battery has gotten over the 3 year mark, and replacing it completely fixed the issues then.

The only other thing I have installed in the car is a Compustar remote starter which the previous owner had put in, and which has never given me any problems or issues.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I've had my TL for over 5 years now. I think the previous owner said they had the HFL replaced, but I've never even tried to turn it on or test it out. Are you guys saying that the HFL is somehow connected to this Bluetooth thing for music streaming? I thought they were separate systems.
Nobody is saying they are connected. We are all saying the most likely culprit is a failed HFL and that you should physically disconnect it from power to see if it resolves your battery drain issue. There is always the chance that is not the issue...but that is the best place to start, especially since you don't even use it.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Advanced

I had someone I know look at it and luckily it was a simple fix of tightening the clamp hooked to the positive battery terminal. It looked secure to me, but apparently the connection works best when very tightly secured. Just an odd coincidence that this happened the same day after I installed the Bluetooth thing, since I wasn't doing anything under the hood.

I'm really liking the Usa-spec BT45acu for Bluetooth streaming so far, BTW, and highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

Last edited by Antonio K; 09-21-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added info about music streamer
Old 09-26-2019, 10:07 AM
Instructor

I had someone I know look at it and luckily it was a simple fix of tightening the clamp hooked to the positive battery terminal. It looked secure to me, but apparently the connection works best when very tightly secured. Just an odd coincidence that this happened the same day after I installed the Bluetooth thing, since I wasn't doing anything under the hood.

I'm really liking the Usa-spec BT45acu for Bluetooth streaming so far, BTW, and highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

Is the BT45ACU a revised update for the BT45HON3 ?
After about 4 yrs my BT45HON3 just died. The audio started crackling and then eventually no sound at all.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The BT45ACU is compatible with the 07-08 TLs, whereas the BT45HON is compatible with the 04-06 models.