Best TV Antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 01:21 PM
Phil 4:13

Best TV Antenna?

I just recently installed a nav to DVD switcher from Avelectronic (budget version) along with the amplified antenna also from their site. I am running them through a Pyle pltd24. I am not a fan of second rate electronics from such companies but it offers allot of versatility for the price ~$90 (sd card reader, usb reader, dvd player, tv tuner & AV in) Anyway on to my question...The TV reception is pretty good when stationary but sucks when moving. Is this just something I have to live with or are there other alternatives like this. What have others experienced? By the way I don't live in the country.

Sorry in advanced if this has already been talked about I searched, but could not find.
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:22 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by valeo77
I just recently installed a nav to DVD switcher from Avelectronic (budget version) along with the amplified antenna also from their site. I am running them through a Pyle pltd24. I am not a fan of second rate electronics from such companies but it offers allot of versatility for the price ~$90 (sd card reader, usb reader, dvd player, tv tuner & AV in) Anyway on to my question...The TV reception is pretty good when stationary but sucks when moving. Is this just something I have to live with or are there other alternatives like this. What have others experienced? By the way I don't live in the country.

Sorry in advanced if this has already been talked about I searched, but could not find.

Can you show pictures of where/how you did the install? I have a 2005 NBP w/nav and was considering this type of mod, but was not sure just how it would work.

How hard was it? How much time? Where did you locate the switch box? etc.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:33 PM
King of NYC

You know I was going to install a TV tuner and what not with my all out crazy install with LCDs and all but I just remembered............Guys, wake up! Did you forget? America is going to DIGITAL!!!

That means all this effort to have a TV tuner in your car is a waste of damn time.

Just keep your video system devoted to media......

unless you wanna look into satellite TV, now that's a whole different thing!
Old 03-05-2008 | 08:56 AM

I will be purchasing a small converter box that I am installing when we go digital in 09 (my $40 coupon is on its way). I just have to run it through a power inverter. Install will be no prob...I still will have tv functionality in 09.

Bob05tl I will have some pics this weekend...
Old 03-05-2008 | 10:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Wow man, I am NEVER in my car long enough to look at tv, and actually watch the program as well instead of glancing at it. You guys must have some serious commutes! Mine is 15 minutes...eat your heart out!

Oh yeah, Valeo, ask Kennedy...he says he has a nice one.
Old 03-05-2008 | 10:31 AM

Yea I only have a 5 min commute, but I am a geek, so I had to do it :¬)

I will hit up Kennedy, thx darksom1
Old 03-05-2008 | 11:08 AM
King of NYC

thing is, how many channels do you expect to get? if you live in a downtown metro it may be a few but is it worth it? I'm sure many of these antennaes have problems when the car is moving.......think about how much fuzz you get with just the radio.

how big is that converter box? doesn't sound like it is going to be small enough to tuck in somewhere unseen in the car. feedin it AC power is not going to be fun either. if you go through all that, I gotta give you credit, that's some determination.
Old 03-05-2008 | 12:27 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

the converter box is like 4"x3"x1.5", it's nothing crazy... you can hide that anywhere... It's basically the same size as the Dom's Unit... and there are countless people with the Dom's unit, including myself.

There is plenty of room behind the trunk covers... I have my Dom's Unit and 6 disc DVD changer brain behind the right trunk cover and I still have room for relays and such for misc. items I have around the car...

Good Luck on finding a better antenna...