Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Backup Camera

Will the Acura dealership install the backup camera i will buy from Ebay shortly on my 05' Acura TL? if so, how much will installation cost?
Old 03-07-2007 | 07:45 PM
Superman

Lightbulb Quick fix

Try this: get your keys, get out to your car, open the door and sit down. Start the engine, wait for the electronics to boot up, then press the "Talk" button on the steering wheel and say "Find nearest Acura dealer". Like a charm, there you have at least five different dealerships at the touch of a button. Choose the one that has the nicest name and say "Call". Then, ask for the service department and repeat after me: "Sir, can you install the backup camera I am about to buy from eBay? If so, how much?"
Old 03-07-2007 | 07:59 PM
Safety Car

I doubt it. They won't know what to do with it since it is not a factory item. You'll have more luck with a car electronics shop.
Old 03-08-2007 | 08:32 AM
User-N-Abuser

Question 2007 TL w/ Nav comes with Rear Camera?

I was on the Acura Website and I read this:

Rear view camera (available on TL**, standard on Type-S) | BASE | TYPE–S

** Part of navigation system. Available only in the 48 contiguous United States.

Then I checked further on the website and found this:

RearView Camera with Navigation System. Whenever reverse is engaged on a TL with the "optional" Navigation system the screen will display a view of the space directly behind the vehicle that's outside of the drivers normal field of vision.

Does all of this mean that the if you purchase an 07' TL w/ Navigation, you will get a reverse camera as standard equipment or do you still have to pay more for that as well?
Old 03-08-2007 | 08:59 AM
Can You Feel It?

That would be sweet if they did that on the 07 cause then I can but the camera from factory and it basically a plug and play since I have a navi....wooohooo!
Old 03-08-2007 | 09:11 AM
User-N-Abuser

I'll call the dealership to find out.

I haven't seen any posts on this yet but I'll call a local dealership to find out if that is true. The only difference posted between the 06 and 07 was the Tire pressure monitor Sensors thing. I'm in the market for an 07 but I'm juts getting my feet wet with the dealerships just now...
Old 03-08-2007 | 10:19 AM
Advanced

I see no one actually reads the FAQs or uses the nifty search...

Here's an excerpt from the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ:

Q: Is it possible to add MP3/XM Nav Traffic/backup camera from the '07 TL and install it into the '04-'06 TL?
A: It has yet to be proven, but the newer system seems to be integrated such that to obtain full functionality of the '07 system, a majority of the system will need to be upgraded. The headunit needs to be upgraded to incorporate MP3 functionality; the navi DVD drive needs to be upgraded to use the new 4.X system and the backup camera; the XM module needs to be upgraded to add XM Nav Traffic. The costs to do such a revamp will run in the thousands.

Link to post reference: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...68#post1576568

Link to FAQ: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/17-oem-cl-type-s-rims-sale-145820/

Options for adding a back up camera: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139696

And all of this was found by using the word "camera" in the search bar.

Mods, feel free lock the thread. My work done here. =D

(sorry for the arrogant tone. having a bad day.)
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:12 AM
User-N-Abuser

Actually I read and re-read all of those links...

And I still haven't seen any mention of 07 Camera being a standard option when you purchase a Navigation system. I know the question that started this thread referred to upgrading an older system but the title of the thread was "Backup Camera" so I asked a question about the BASE 07'backup camera instead of starting my own thread asking the same question.

I personally don't care if it is possible to add MP3/XM Nav Traffic/backup camera from '07 to put in 04-06 so your answer below wasn't helpful to me. I don't want to add a camera period, I just want to know if anyone who has purchased an 07 w/Nav got a backup camera as a standard install.

The only mention of the 07 camera in your links below was a question about replacing a bezzel and it was never answered so it didn't do me much good either.

Wolfman -
Does anyone know about the back-up camera for the '07? I would be very intrested if it was a replacement bezzel above the license plate. I have an '06 and would order just the camera and hook it to the TVNav2Go unit I got a few months back. Any info on this?
- Wolfman

If proper procedure was for me to ask that questions in my own thread, then my apologies but I did the search thing and got no answer... as for the guy who started this thread, I can't say if he searched at all or not before posting.
Old 03-08-2007 | 12:53 PM
Safety Car

The Type-S comes standard with navi and the backup camera.

Why don't you try building the base model from the Acura website to find out?

pandaman1784, thanks for the attempt.
Old 03-08-2007 | 01:54 PM
User-N-Abuser

Thumbs up Thanks for the suggestion...

Datmrman, I took your advice and built it and then looked at the standard equip list for the "non Type-S" model and low and behold it does come with rear camera as long as you are in the 48 contiguous United States and you also get First 3 months' of XM Satellite Radio and real-time traffic included. So it doesn't matter if you get a "Type-S or not" as long as you buy the Navi model and you don't live in hawaii, alaska or puerto rico you will get a rear cam as well.

STANDARD EQUIPMENT - 2007 TL AUTOMATIC WITH NAVIGATION SYSTEM
COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
diamonds Acura Navigation System*
diamonds Voice Recognition for navigation, audio and climate controls*
diamonds Rear view camera*
diamonds AcuraLink� satellite communication system with real-time traffic*
diamonds Acura/ELS Surround� Premium 8-speaker Sound System with 6-disc CD, DVD-Audio changer, AM/FM tuner, Dolby� Cassette, DTS�, and Dolby� Pro Logic� II
diamonds XM� Satellite Radio*
diamonds MP3 player aux. input
diamonds HandsFreeLink� wireless telephone interface with phonebook exchange
diamonds GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system with air filtration*
diamonds Power moonroof with tilt, auto-open/close, auto-reverse, key-off operation and sliding shade
diamonds Maintenance Minder� system
diamonds Keyless memory settings
diamonds Power windows with driver�s and front passenger�s auto-up/down, auto-reverse and key-off operation
diamonds Illuminated steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
diamonds Ambient cabin lighting
diamonds HomeLink�
diamonds Auto-off headlights
diamonds Tilt steering column

* Available only in the 48 contiguous United States. First 3 months' of XM Satellite Radio and real-time traffic included.

Thanks for the help, and you too pandaman1784.
Old 03-09-2007 | 08:45 AM
Can You Feel It?

so then i take it that this is not a plug and play thing huh?
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:08 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Will the Acura dealership install the backup camera i will buy from Ebay shortly on my 05' Acura TL? if so, how much will installation cost?
First of all, it's highly unlikely a dealer will install aftermarket gear like this unless they sell it their parts department. If you can't do the install yourself, I'd recommend buying the components from whomever does the install. That way, you only have only one entity to deal with if there's ever a problem. Same goes for the 3M Clearbra stuff on the bumpers.