Backup Camera in 3G Base?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Backup Camera in 3G Base?

Hey folks,

After some Google searching and AZ forum searches, I didn't find any particularly specific threads on the topic, so I wanted to ask:

For those of you with a base 3G TL, what solution did you use for a backup/reverse camera?

I would certainly have liked to have NAV/Backup cam but when I found my 2008 3G on the used market in January 2016 with 39K miles and my preferred color (PMM), I was willing to compromise. The vehicle is mint by the way (hasn't even been broken in yet, by my standards).

Literally the only gripe that I have about the vehicle is the visibility. As compared to my 2002 RL (which was traded-in with 225K miles btw), from which I could see 360 degrees with almost no blind spots. After a couple months, I still haven't gotten used to it.

What sort of aftermarket solutions do you guys recommend? I haven't investigated too deeply, but I do have a Note 4 with a nice big screen which could be useful. Also, my dad has a Honda Ridgeline with a backup camera cleverly mounted in a small (maybe 2-3 inch) screen in the rear-view mirror. That seems like it could be promising? And maybe not ridiculous in cost to mimic.
The following users liked this post:
KCee (03-14-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Well I did some research and found this: RVS-776718-D | G-SERIES Backup Camera System with Auto Dimming | Rear View Safety

Any thoughts? I really do like the camera in the rear-view, as previously stated. It works great in my dad's Ridgeline.

So I take it most of you guys scored the NAV model or even better, the Type S? I certainly would have loved to snag one myself but after almost a full year of looking, I never found an example with less than 100K miles. Oh well

Last edited by AlbinLee; 03-11-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Last sentence was cut off
Old 03-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
options

Welcome to the TL family! Sounds like you picked up a nice one.

Anyways, as far as the backup camera deal you got a couple of options.

1) Do a full Non-navi to navi swap. Pull the navigation out of a 3G TL and put in your car - Pain in the butt , expensive, and not worth it in my opinion.

2) Install a tablet in your car (lots of threads on here) and route an aftermarket backup cam to that. -I would also prob not think just having the back up camera would justify all the work to do this install so I would not go this route either

3) Then finally there is the route you suggest where you buy just an aftermarket back up camera standalone kit. They have some built into the rear view mirror like you pointed out. Some that are stand alone screens you dash mount (like a dash mounted GPS). Some that connect to your smartphone etc etc. - I agree with you and think this is the best route. If you don't mind the price, I'd get a rearview one like you linked to. There's a ton of those as well online
Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RxWorld
Welcome to the TL family! Sounds like you picked up a nice one.

Anyways, as far as the backup camera deal you got a couple of options.

1) Do a full Non-navi to navi swap. Pull the navigation out of a 3G TL and put in your car - Pain in the butt , expensive, and not worth it in my opinion.

2) Install a tablet in your car (lots of threads on here) and route an aftermarket backup cam to that. -I would also prob not think just having the back up camera would justify all the work to do this install so I would not go this route either

3) Then finally there is the route you suggest where you buy just an aftermarket back up camera standalone kit. They have some built into the rear view mirror like you pointed out. Some that are stand alone screens you dash mount (like a dash mounted GPS). Some that connect to your smartphone etc etc. - I agree with you and think this is the best route. If you don't mind the price, I'd get a rearview one like you linked to. There's a ton of those as well online
Hey thanks for the warm welcome! You basically spelled out my thoughts exactly.. I have no interest in the Non-NAV to NAV, as I have seen that DIY and it is time/part prohibitive. Plus, I would only use it for the reverse cam and audio information. Google maps+Waze traffic is a combination that the Acura NAV can't touch, so I would likely never use the NAV.

With all that said, I am leaning towards the rear-view unit I linked earlier. If I choose to do my own install, maybe I will throw some pics together with some tips.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been interested in doing this as well. I have an old 7" tablet I could use, but I've seen some systems that include a screen. There are more than a few on Amazon for not much money although it's hard to say how good they really are. I don't really need it for my car (haven't backed in to anything in nearly 10 years...knock on wood), but sort of looking for a small project I guess.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best buy Echomaster

I just got the Echomaster backup camera + rearview mirror combo at best buy and they even installed it for me. The kit comes with the bracket to mount the new rearview mirror. You can even install it yourself if you have time and know how to run the wires. Total including install was about $350 and took about an hour n half