AUX-IN install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUX-IN install help

So i just installed an aux-in module I got off ebay and it works fine. Only issue is that it no longer displays other media info (radio, CD, volume) when I switch out of aux. Also, the when I push the 'Sound' button on the left, it doesnt show the info screen anymore. I've tried searching and haven't been able to find a definite answer so if anyone is aware of this issue or knows of a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you post a link to the eBay listing of the device you bought? That may give us a bit more direction in helping you...
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by midlothian
Can you post a link to the eBay listing of the device you bought? That may give us a bit more direction in helping you...
here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/190619429053...#ht_6515wt_905
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

From looking at it, it appears to interface into the same spot where the XM connection goes.

I am no master on the wiring of the TL radio, but there is a real possibility that the interface to the display also comes from this connector. So, when you unhooked the XM plug to plug in this new module, you also unhooked the output to the display. Of course, this is an assumption on my part. Try unplugging the new AUX unit and plugging the XM plug back in. If your display works again, you have your answer.

There are much better solutions out there that keep all radio functionality and offer total iPod control from the radio/steering wheel controls. They are generally a bit more pricey, but well worth it (because they avoid entirely these issues you are dealing with).
Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Advanced

From looking at it, it appears to interface into the same spot where the XM connection goes.

I am no master on the wiring of the TL radio, but there is a real possibility that the interface to the display also comes from this connector. So, when you unhooked the XM plug to plug in this new module, you also unhooked the output to the display. Of course, this is an assumption on my part. Try unplugging the new AUX unit and plugging the XM plug back in. If your display works again, you have your answer.

There are much better solutions out there that keep all radio functionality and offer total iPod control from the radio/steering wheel controls. They are generally a bit more pricey, but well worth it (because they avoid entirely these issues you are dealing with).
Yeah I did that, and it worked. I don't use an iPod or any apple products so I'm just looking for a simply aux-in connection for my android phone.

On another note, after I connected XM back I am getting all the XM channels now, for free o.0 I may just use that as my primary source of driving music from now on.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I did that, and it worked. I don't use an iPod or any apple products so I'm just looking for a simply aux-in connection for my android phone.

On another note, after I connected XM back I am getting all the XM channels now, for free o.0 I may just use that as my primary source of driving music from now on.
I had free XM for about a week as well when I reconnected my unit. It is a strange glitch in the XM firmware I think. It did, eventually, go away though. I can't stand the sound of XM in our cars, so that's never really been tempting for me.

I would return that module to the eBay seller and look for something else that has a Y-adapter type of interface into our radio. That's what the iSimple has, and so you get to retain functionality of both XM and an AUX input. I am sure there is a solution out there for little to no extra money than what you spent for the eBay module.

Or, you could do like I did for awhile: you could rock the cassette adapter. It worked like a charm (mostly) and was super cheap!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I would LOVE to see what solutions are presented here. I am also in the same boat- I use devices with a standard headphone jack (my Android phone), and don't own anything Apple-related, so using an iPod connector would be an unnecessary/overpriced option.

I'd just prefer something that is a straight headphone jack ---> AUX/XM input for my needs, but I'm not sure what exists beyond the widely-used iSimple.

I don't even need XM functionality, as I have no interest in using it, so I don't need to retain the ability to use it on-the-fly as you're describing.

I also want to see if there's a pretty seamless way of integrating this- my worry is having wires coming out of random places and bulky control units, when I would hope it would be as transparent as possible.

Great thread. One love.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DuoDSG

I'd just prefer something that is a straight headphone jack ---> AUX/XM input for my needs, but I'm not sure what exists beyond the widely-used iSimple.
A LOT exists besides the iSimple that everyone here has been using. You will find a lot of options by searching this forum or by doing a quick eBay search for Acura TL AUX. One great solution which has worked for others before is FOUND IN THIS LINK. You will notice that this is also made by iSimple, but lacks the logic to control an iPod, which is unnecessary for a lot of people. It costs about $35 less than the iPod-controlling iSimple. PXAMG/Peripheral also offer a unit.

I don't even need XM functionality, as I have no interest in using it, so I don't need to retain the ability to use it on-the-fly as you're describing.
Most solutions you find will retain XM functionality, as they pretty much need to in order to make sure that your radio functions 100% correctly. As you have read in this thread, the harness for XM does more than just run the XM. Thus, it is fairly essential to keep XM functionality.

As far as cleanness of install goes, you can have it as clean as you like. My iSimple is behind my glove box (and I mean BEHIND, where you have to unbolt the whole lower passenger dash garnish to see it) and the ONLY sign of it is the actual iPod cable itself, which is located under the center armrest in the console storage.

Hope that helps. Also, as I see that you are in Logan, I hope that you are enjoying the snow. We are absolutely covered down here south of Provo. Finally.

Last edited by midlothian; 02-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DuoDSG (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

A LOT exists besides the iSimple that everyone here has been using. You will find a lot of options by searching this forum or by doing a quick eBay search for Acura TL AUX. One great solution which has worked for others before is FOUND IN THIS LINK. You will notice that this is also made by iSimple, but lacks the logic to control an iPod, which is unnecessary for a lot of people. It costs about $35 less than the iPod-controlling iSimple. PXAMG/Peripheral also offer a unit.

Most solutions you find will retain XM functionality, as they pretty much need to in order to make sure that your radio functions 100% correctly. As you have read in this thread, the harness for XM does more than just run the XM. Thus, it is fairly essential to keep XM functionality.

As far as cleanness of install goes, you can have it as clean as you like. My iSimple is behind my glove box (and I mean BEHIND, where you have to unbolt the whole lower passenger dash garnish to see it) and the ONLY sign of it is the actual iPod cable itself, which is located under the center armrest in the console storage.

Hope that helps. Also, as I see that you are in Logan, I hope that you are enjoying the snow. We are absolutely covered down here south of Provo. Finally.
Sorry, I should've said that I have looked at those various options, and it more that everyone always returns to the iSimple as the end-all option.

PS, your link doesn't have any link contained in it

As for making it clean by putting it behind the glove box, I'm not worried about that- I've replaced the air filter and removed that entire assembly (I've replaced the CD head unit, rewired the navi, etc) so I know how to do it and hide things behind there. I was afraid I'd have to drill some awkward hole in the middle of my panel or something

Thanks for your post, it definitely helped me become more enlightened on the subject
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

PS, your link doesn't have any link contained in it
Well, that sucks. Let's see if this works: LINK

And I agree that the iSimple gets overwhelming support. But I suppose that's directly related to the fact that the iPod itself gets overwhelming support, even from those of us who aren't Steve Jobs fanboys.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

No arguments there. Apple products are tremendously popular, they're just not my jam

Oh and I forgot to mention the weather- we haven't had any snow since late December. It's been ridiculously "warm" here, but I'm not complaining, since I am always cold. Those heated seats come in very hand this time of year

PS that link you gave me made me stoked because I anticipated this would be a far trickier project to pull off. All I have to do is decide if I want to do this or change out my LEDs first. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Oh and I forgot to mention the weather- we haven't had any snow since late December. It's been ridiculously "warm" here, but I'm not complaining, since I am always cold. Those heated seats come in very hand this time of year
Are you kidding??? you've not had any snow today? That blows my mind dude. We are only like 2 hours away and buried. Oh well, you know what they say about Utah weather... But I agree about the seats. My 30 minute drive to BYU every morning is made ultra-pleasant because of those things.

PS that link you gave me made me stoked because I anticipated this would be a far trickier project to pull off. All I have to do is decide if I want to do this or change out my LEDs first. Thanks again!
Good! It is dead simple. It only took me like an hour to do. I am looking at doing LED's too... oh, the money just flows freely out of the wallet... :/