Audio Problem: Certain Speakers arent getting loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Audio Problem: Certain Speakers arent getting loud

The other day I had a friend in the car who said that the music sounded alot louder on my (the driver) side of the car. I never noticed it since im always driving. Always, we were playing with the speakers directional balance to do a couple of tests. My loudest speaker by far is my driver door speaker. The passanger door speaker still makes some noise, but is almost inaudible, even when pretty much blasting. my tweeters and my center speaker seem fine (besides this drone my center one puts out, but thats another problem). Moving back to rear speakers, they are also almost inaudible on blast. You can tell they are working if you sit in the back seat, and each of them seemed to be working since we could feel them push out a bit of air. But as with the passanger side speaker, they are just not very loud at all.

Im kind of perplexed as im not to familiar with cars sound systems. I know a few basics, but I have no idea what this could be. At first I assumed blown speakers since at first I didnt think any sound was coming from them, but since they still output sound, being blown doesn't make sense. Ive read threads on people complaining about a week system, but I think I can rule that out because the system is so drastically imbalanced.

Anyways, Im looking for any advice on what this could be. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Racer

After reading a bit on the forums, it seems like the speaker whine im getting from my middle dashboard speaker is related to the amp. it only happens when the engine is on.

But this is unrelated to my main problem. Could it still be the amp though?Could some channels possibly be receiving less powers then the others? I think I read somewhere that the stock amp gives out like 20W per channel. Maybe some are not getting full power.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The whine could be related to a bad connection or bad electrical component in your amp which could cause both problems. The tweeter and door speaker run off of the same amp channel so it's kind of odd that the tweeter on one side works fine but the door does not.

Are you the original owner and has anyone ever put an aftermarket system in your car? Pull off the passenger side kick panel and look for altered wiring such as wire taps or splices.

What year TL do you have? The '04 and maybe '05 use the rears only for fill.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The whine could be related to a bad connection or bad electrical component in your amp which could cause both problems. The tweeter and door speaker run off of the same amp channel so it's kind of odd that the tweeter on one side works fine but the door does not.

Are you the original owner and has anyone ever put an aftermarket system in your car? Pull off the passenger side kick panel and look for altered wiring such as wire taps or splices.

What year TL do you have? The '04 and maybe '05 use the rears only for fill.

IHC to the rescue again Thanks for your time once again. you helped me out in another one of my threads

I am the original owner and never messed with my audio system. The car is an 04 so that could explain the rear for fill only. I guess i just found the lack of volume odd since the speaker sizes in the door and the rear deck are the same. I expected the same volume. So I guess the only one that seems out of place is my passenger door.

I guess next time I get in my car im going to have to try to compare the driver vs passenger tweeters. But I think the volumes were comparable.

As far as the whine, it seems like a new amp may be my only solution. Problem is not installing it, but more-so the 300$ cost from online vendors. Would it just be cheaper to go aftermarket in this case? and would going aftermarket allow me to use the rears for more than just fill?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
If you can confirm the wire harness is the same I can send you my '06 amp to test out so you don't waste money just in case I'm wrong.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
If you can confirm the wire harness is the same I can send you my '06 amp to test out so you don't waste money just in case I'm wrong.
PM'ed (or atleast im typing it up)