Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006 | 04:25 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Cool Audio Issues

So I bought my 06 MT TL back in January and I am very pleased overall with the car's performance - on and off the road.

Couple of questions, that may diffuse themselves:

1. Does anyone else think that they got 100% shafted by the sound system in the car? I think it is absolutely horrible. For being able to sport DTS 5.1, the quality and capabilities of the stock speakers are 100% crap. Why is it that FM radio stations will come in louder and more clear than the DVD-A? Why do CD's that are compressed for good quality just sound like crap whenever the bass kicks in? Only a few certain songs actually sound good, and only up to about 35 on the volume meter. If I go to 40, it's all distorted. O RLY? YA RLY! Someone please just tell me that they feel the same way.

2. Why do the windows roll down when you hold down the 'unlock' button, but not roll up? Same mechanism, but not included with car.

Kinda mad all around about the sound...but other than that, I love it.

~Orion
Old 06-06-2006 | 04:36 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Also...has anyone noticed that the Bluetooth "End Call" button on the steering wheel doesn't hang up the call? All it does for me is "Beep" and not end the call.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:29 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

/justice bump
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:35 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Ukn[o]w.wh[o]ibE

1. Does anyone else think that they got 100% shafted by the sound system in the car?
Shafted ? Not even close. Pretty much happy with it as an OE system. Sure you can do better but as an OE system it's pretty good. I think Acura had some real balls to go multichannel capable. Mine is relatively clean all the way up to the high 30s
2. Why do the windows roll down when you hold down the 'unlock' button, but not roll up? Same mechanism, but not included with car.

Kinda mad all around about the sound...but other than that, I love it.

~Orion
Just the way it is. Mod it if you want. Search and you will find the thread. I only use it to vent the car on hot days as I approach so it's just fine with me.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:46 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Maybe I'll take it back to the dealership and make em put new speakers in...
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:46 PM
Pro

So I bought my 06 MT TL back in January and I am very pleased overall with the car's performance - on and off the road.

1. Does anyone else think that they got 100% shafted by the sound system in the car? I think it is absolutely horrible. For being able to sport DTS 5.1, the quality and capabilities of the stock speakers are 100% crap. Why is it that FM radio stations will come in louder and more clear than the DVD-A? Why do CD's that are compressed for good quality just sound like crap whenever the bass kicks in? Only a few certain songs actually sound good, and only up to about 35 on the volume meter. If I go to 40, it's all distorted. O RLY? YA RLY! Someone please just tell me that they feel the same way.
I agree the sound system isn't great, but by no means do I think it sounds terrible.
Also isn't 40 max volume? I don't know of any sound systems that sound perfect (or even good) all the way to 100% of their possible volume.
No idea why they didn't do this although there has been some speculation due to safety (not being able to roll windows up remotely) but this can be very easily solved with a unit from KP technologies. Check the group buy area or the thread somewhere in here.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:47 PM
Pro

Also...has anyone noticed that the Bluetooth "End Call" button on the steering wheel doesn't hang up the call? All it does for me is "Beep" and not end the call.
And no, this works perfectly for me. Maybe a compatibility issue with your phone.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:48 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

I know the sound shouldn't sound amazing @ max level, but even in the low 30's, it shouldn't sound distorted - there isn't much bass, or there is way too much.
Old 06-06-2006 | 07:55 PM
Lt. Dangle

I know the sound shouldn't sound amazing @ max level, but even in the low 30's, it shouldn't sound distorted - there isn't much bass, or there is way too much.
What is your source material? I have found the TL's system reveals the flaws in bad source material. For example, a CD burned from MP3s sounds HORRIBLE. Where as a properly mixed CD or DVD-A sounds stellar. I shudder to think what a tape would sound like. FM and XM sound just fine to me. Of course, if you are expecting mind numbing bass from an OEM system then you must have put aftermarket stereos in all your previous vehicles.
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:03 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Originally Posted by enormus
What is your source material? I have found the TL's system reveals the flaws in bad source material. For example, a CD burned from MP3s sounds HORRIBLE. Where as a properly mixed CD or DVD-A sounds stellar. I shudder to think what a tape would sound like. FM and XM sound just fine to me. Of course, if you are expecting mind numbing bass from an OEM system then you must have put aftermarket stereos in all your previous vehicles.
Touche' and you are correct.

What if I were to use a very high quality of .mp3? Do you guys think that this would make a difference? I know that my DVD-A discs sound amazing, but not quite at the volume level that I would like. I think that if the current volume level was rated at a '10', I would like it to be at a '15-20'. Maybe that makes sense...maybe it doesn't.

Funny thing is, my last new vehicle was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC w/ Hemi. The stereo system rocked so hard straight off the lot that I couldn't turn it all the way up. Maybe that was just luck. (and I did play burned .mp3's on that deck)

I guess I will have to wait for my [main] computer to get back from Sony and start converting/burning the songs to DVD-A.

~Orion
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:29 PM
Intermediate

I think the audio is just fine . . . though CDs do play softer than DVD-As, XM & FM . . . . I bought a few DVD-As and they really show off the sound system . . . . I listen to pretty much anything (Jazz, Classical, Christian Contemp, Pop, 80's, some rap, etc) and think XM sounds good, DVD-As sound excellent, I-Pod sounds excellent, FM decent . . . . There is some material that has a lot of mid-bass that doesn't distort but causes a buzzing inside the door that is annoying but it's not distortion. The system was designed for quality and clarity, not so much to "rock hard" . . . some day I'll dig out my IASCA pink noise CD and put the system on my analyzer to see how even the playback is . . . . . (my background is film projection/audio)

As for the bluetooth my hang up button works fine . . . . I do have a problem where I can't use the voice dialing or my phone resets (Treo 650 woes . . . . )

Windows . . . . I'd like to see the remote roll the windows up too . . . . . . but it's not a feature I'd use that often except to show off . . . .
Old 06-07-2006 | 12:10 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Originally Posted by dz06tl
Windows . . . . I'd like to see the remote roll the windows up too . . . . . . but it's not a feature I'd use that often except to show off . . . .
That's the whole point! =P
Old 06-07-2006 | 12:49 PM
Intermediate

With DVD-A I think the Sound system is killer, The clarity is amazing, indeed it is still a stock system so your max volume output is not going to blow you away although with the new KoRn CD I do get a little concert buzz when I get out of the car.

Regualar CD and FM not that great. XM is pretty good and I was actually suprised how much better reception I get with AM...... yes I like a little sports radio now and then.
Old 06-07-2006 | 12:55 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Did you not listen to the car before you bought it? I think you'll have a hard time getting the dealer to upgrade your speakers if they are functioning properly.
Old 06-07-2006 | 01:46 PM
Ryan Christopher

I agree partially. The sound in the TL is very good, the problem was it isn't loud enough. There is a difference in the two. I personally yanked out everything and replaced it all. The head unit is the only thing that is factory. It has a aftermarket 5.1 amp(a real 5.1 amp, not a 6 channel), new speakers(all of them including the tweeters) and a custom fiberglass speaker in the drivers rear corner.

Wanted more bass without going crazy. The system now sounds as it should, I no longer have to listen to it at or above 30. My normal listening volume with the windows up is 7, and about 15 with them down, and its clear.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:04 PM
Intermediate

you also have to realize that its harder to make a 5.1 sound system with great clarity then it is to make a booming distorted-makes-slipknot-sound-good system. remember this was developed for 30-40 year olds that listen to eric clapton's 5.1 that doesnt even have bass.
also, 5.1 decoding isnt as loud as 2ch stereo. just turn it up a little louder. im also a huge dts fan, and wasnt to impressed with the difference of dts vs regular 5.1 compared to my home movie system its stellar. dts encoding is bigger than dolby, so its louder and preserves more sound. it would be optimal to do 5.1 in wav., but its to big for a cd.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:08 PM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by 6pdtlinKC
you also have to realize that its harder to make a 5.1 sound system with great clarity then it is to make a booming distorted-makes-slipknot-sound-good system. remember this was developed for 30-40 year olds that listen to eric clapton's 5.1 that doesnt even have bass.
also, 5.1 decoding isnt as loud as 2ch stereo. just turn it up a little louder. im also a huge dts fan, and wasnt to impressed with the difference of dts vs regular 5.1 compared to my home movie system its stellar. dts encoding is bigger than dolby, so its louder and preserves more sound. it would be optimal to do 5.1 in wav., but its to big for a cd.
Thats is why it is 5.1 DVD audio and not not 5.1 CD audio. More then enough storage on a DVD. And if it could be read, a dual layer DVD. I to enjoy my 7.1 in the house. As for the clarity, I am going to be entering my car into SQL comps, this requires it be loud AND clear, not just loud. I want my sound clean, same reason I like sealed sub boxes over ported.

Jason
Old 06-07-2006 | 03:33 PM
Sesquipedalianistically

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Did you not listen to the car before you bought it? I think you'll have a hard time getting the dealer to upgrade your speakers if they are functioning properly.

Dangling participles FTL.

I didn't mean have them replace it...just fix the sub rattling that is happening.

My fault.
Old 06-07-2006 | 04:23 PM
Lt. Dangle

The TL head unit does indeed play dual layer discs. I have two I burned myself (Talking Heads Stop Making Sense concert video and Roy Orbison Black & White Night).

I do agree that some DVDs I burn and some commercial CDs play at a lower volume. That being said, I just turn up the volume more. My biggest complaint is the DTS popping issue (gonna kill one of my speakers, I'm sure) and the fact that the head unit will not play MP3s off CD/DVD. I could forgoe a bit of sound quality in order to get 100 hours of music per DVD.
Old 06-14-2006 | 03:03 PM
Banned

The bad thing about all of this is that the TSX's stereo system rocks!!! Why is it that the TSX's stereo system sounds so much better than the TL's? Is it possible to replace the TL's sound system with the TSX's?...perfect solution is it's possible.
Old 06-14-2006 | 03:18 PM
Advanced

I agree the sound system is dissapointing. The bass is too distorted and you have to crank it up all the way to hear it when you are on the highway with the windows down. I guess all would be well if I just drove around with the windows up all the time and only listened to music that my parents liked. If you want to check out a great sound system check out the 2006 eclipse, loud with pleanty of undistorted bass.
Old 06-15-2006 | 10:06 PM
Advanced

~Orion
No offense, but it is pretty obvious that you dont know much about audio. You cant turn the volume to Max in any stereo system. You will almost without exception be clipping something, or overdriving something. The max you should ever turn a "volume knob" up as a general rule is 75% of max volume. The second question would be- Where are your tone controls set at? A good rule of thumb with the TL is to move the bass to the -1 to -3 region, otherwise the 6.5s can become boomy and unclear. I will also concede that the treble region is rolled off significantly in the 10K hertz range, but in all, it is done rather well for a "factory" system.
True sub bass cannot be acheived with an infinite baffle 8 inch woofer, but you cannot expect Acura to place a 10 or 12 inch sub in a proper enclosure in a vehicle...98% of buyers would be alienated by the loss of trunk space.If that is what you are looking for, add a sealed 12 inch sub with 400-500 watts of power, and that should satisfy you.
Old 06-16-2006 | 09:04 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

You can talk all the hertz, khertz or mhertz you want, but this system lacks. To me... it sounds as though you were playing it through a pillow. Now I have not listened to a DVD-A, but all else has a muffled sound with no direction ( I have tried to adjust every which way possible). I love to drive this car, but the sound system is my one disappointment. :killer:
Old 07-02-2006 | 11:00 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I agree partially. The sound in the TL is very good, the problem was it isn't loud enough. There is a difference in the two. I personally yanked out everything and replaced it all. The head unit is the only thing that is factory. It has a aftermarket 5.1 amp(a real 5.1 amp, not a 6 channel), new speakers(all of them including the tweeters) and a custom fiberglass speaker in the drivers rear corner.

Wanted more bass without going crazy. The system now sounds as it should, I no longer have to listen to it at or above 30. My normal listening volume with the windows up is 7, and about 15 with them down, and its clear.

Hmmmm...... redo my TL's speakers w/ amp....or........give my daughter (and friends) a birthday party at Build-A Bear.

Damn Build-A-Bear
Old 07-03-2006 | 01:13 AM
Advanced

The reason the stereo doesnt sound loud is because it is clear. My buddies home theater is top o' the line stuff and when he turns it up about 2/3 of the way it doesnt sound loud but when you try to talk to someone while it is on it drowns thier voice out. The TL's stereo is virtually distortion free. Its loud and clear for me.
Old 07-03-2006 | 02:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
The bad thing about all of this is that the TSX's stereo system rocks!!! Why is it that the TSX's stereo system sounds so much better than the TL's? Is it possible to replace the TL's sound system with the TSX's?...perfect solution is it's possible.
Totally agree. I sat in my coworkers TSX and loved that system. Personally I would swap a stock TL's system for a TSX's anytime...no 5.1 audio...no big deal to me.
Old 07-04-2006 | 11:42 PM
5th Gear

I realize this has been discussed in other threads, but I still have to say I'm disappointed w/ the sound quality from XM vs. FM / CD. I hadn't used XM before the TL, but it sounds so compressed and almost computer-like.

Do other XM receivers sound the same? I assume it's just the compression XM puts their stations through....
Old 07-05-2006 | 02:31 AM
5th Gear

I have been very disappointed with the sound quality of XM and regular CD's. The only thing I really like is the TL Audio CD (5.1) that comes with the car! I plan on replacing the amp, speakers, and sub someday...
Old 07-05-2006 | 09:16 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by smantl01
I realize this has been discussed in other threads, but I still have to say I'm disappointed w/ the sound quality from XM vs. FM / CD. I hadn't used XM before the TL, but it sounds so compressed and almost computer-like.

Do other XM receivers sound the same? I assume it's just the compression XM puts their stations through....
Yes, XM signal is very compressed, this is one of the many reasons I like Sirius over XM. I am a professional installer and install alot of the XM and Sirius units. I am waiting for someone to release a direct plug replacement for the Acura/Honda line.

Jason
Old 07-05-2006 | 07:27 PM
6th Gear

Cool Really now...

Really guys... Who has ever heard a great sounding factory stereo (I mean like: "Holy $#@%, that sounds AWSOME"). Now the TL is one of the better stock systems that I've heard, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. One of my biggest problems was the lack of bass. Acura could have done better by creating a box for their 8" I-wanna-be-a-sub-too-guys, but instead left it free-air. So, I solved that problem. Enter Kicker Solobaric 12" sub with about 500 watts RMS. I first shunned the Sony amp, but the fact that you don't need a remote lead to turn it on won me over. Not the prettiest system on the planet, but it gets the job done (I have since cleaned up the wiring). Oh, and did I mention that you only have to remove 3 wires (speaker harness, ground, +12V) to take the box out if you need extra trunk space? Now I just need to replace the rest of the speakers...

As far as the sub goes, the only problem that I've had is that since I'm using the leads from the stock amp, the signal to the sub decreases past a volume of 28. Has anyone figgured out how to bypass this without removing the stock amp (that's what I'm using to drive the rest of the stock speakers... for now!!)? I know that JL and Rockford make units that are supposed to compensate from over-zealous equalizing from the factory, but wouldn't it be so much better for Acura to allow us to totally bypass their tweaking? All they are really doing is to try and make the cheapest speakers that they can get their hands on to sound as good as possible.

Another thing, don't try to listen to the stereo very loud for long periods of time, I've just shredded the stock midrange in the passenger door. Oh-well, I wanted to replace them anyway...
Old 07-05-2006 | 07:37 PM
Instructor

You can roll all your windows back up by putting the key in the door and turning it twice holding on the 2nd time.
Old 07-05-2006 | 07:38 PM
6th Gear

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that the box is only 10 inches deep so I can still access my spare tire without having to take out the box!
Old 07-07-2006 | 05:16 AM
Intermediate

We used to have a spare tire in this car but our amps and plexi kept getting in the way WHAT IS A STOCK STEREO BY THE WAY?

Stealth Look

Show Look