Audio dvds, SACDs, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Keith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio dvds, SACDs, etc

Has anyone played SACD's in their TL Yet? if so how is the sound quality?.

Also where are people buying there Audio DVD,s or SACD's off the internet - does anyone know of intrenet sites which sell these at a discount. The lowest i found was DVD empire.com (they offer free shipping on multiple cd's). I keep getting out bid on ebay - knowing the prices at DVD Empire.com and also have not had much luck on half.com.

Thanks

DELVAL79
Old 07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Racer

sacd's will not play in a TL.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Semper Fi

I have listened Linkin Park DVD-A I was not to impressed with the sound quaility difference bewteen a normal CD. But it may also have been the genre I was listening to maybe in other genre their is a noticeble difference.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SACD's

sacd's will not play in a TL.
That's not entirely true. SACD's will play in the TL if they are hybrid SACD's that include a conventional CD layer on them. They don't play in the high definition SACD mode, just standard CD resolution. But they do sound better than a standard CD. I have a few that I've tried out and they are much cleaner sounding.

If a SACD is a hybrid it will show the Compact Disc logo on the label somewhere. Non-hybrid SACD's won't have the Compact Disc logo, just the SACD logo and those won't play in the ELS system.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DELVAL79
Has anyone played SACD's in their TL Yet? if so how is the sound quality?.

Also where are people buying there Audio DVD,s or SACD's off the internet - does anyone know of intrenet sites which sell these at a discount. The lowest i found was DVD empire.com (they offer free shipping on multiple cd's). I keep getting out bid on ebay - knowing the prices at DVD Empire.com and also have not had much luck on half.com.

Thanks

DELVAL79
You might want to check out www.dvdplanet.com .... I have bought several DVD's from them. They have pretty good prices

Rich
Old 07-18-2004, 03:37 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by kosh2258
That's not entirely true. SACD's will play in the TL if they are hybrid SACD's that include a conventional CD layer on them. They don't play in the high definition SACD mode, just standard CD resolution. But they do sound better than a standard CD. I have a few that I've tried out and they are much cleaner sounding.
Wait, that doesn't really make sense - if they play at standard CD resolution, why would they sound better than a standard CD? Unless a better mastering job was done, I don't see how that's possible. A standard CD is a standard CD, right?
Old 07-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mastering is correct.

Unless a better mastering job was done, I don't see how that's possible.
Exactly. They use a downmix of the SACD DSD master material brought down to CD resolution. I've yet to see a DVD-A or SACD that hasn't been digitally remastered from the original, 1st generation analog or digital, if the recording is new enough, master tapes, or as close to them as are available.

So, yes, it's completely possible that the CD tracks on an hybrid SACD can sound better than a standard CD. Most volume CD's aren't mastered from the original master recordings but digitized from source material a couple of generations removed from the 1st generation master tapes. It may be digital, but loss can still creep into the process either by chance or by design.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Try DVDEmpire also. Good selection, pretty good prices, reasonable shipping.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
I like you, do u like me?

I have a question. Will hybrid SACD's play in DTS mode in the TL? I dug up an old eagles DTS cd that I had since 2000 and it sounded great in my TL. It played in 5.1 DTS and sounded phenomenal.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csunracer
I have a question. Will hybrid SACD's play in DTS mode in the TL? I dug up an old eagles DTS cd that I had since 2000 and it sounded great in my TL. It played in 5.1 DTS and sounded phenomenal.
no a SACD will only play at regular cd quality. there are multiple layers of info on a SACD one for regular cd players and another layer for SACD players which can decode this extra layer and produce the high quality sound.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmastbro
You might want to check out www.dvdplanet.com .... I have bought several DVD's from them. They have pretty good prices

Rich

thanks rmastbro!!! I just ordered from DvdPlanet and got a $3 off coupon on an over $30 order by registering plus free shipping.. their prices sure beat $20 a pop dvd-audio from my local BestBuy!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DELVAL79

Thanks

DELVAL79
Here's another site you can check out
Angel Eyes Their prices are pretty much competitive with DVD Planet....