Apple TV Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Apple TV Installed

This isn't going to be much of a write-up or DIY because I finished it a couple of weeks ago and only have pictures of the finished product. If you're familiar with the things other people have done, you'll be able to follow along quite well.

I had my iPhone 4 setup just like Elegant Type-S, down to the ProClip mount. Since September 12, when Apple changed their charger, I have been out of mobile video in my car. They came out with an A/V cable for the lighting connector, but it has two separate outlets for USB charging and HDMI. HDMI has to be converted to composite in order to work with P.I.E. x3 and the video-in for the Nav2Go. That's too much crap to deal with and I was tired of having my phone hooked up and video being interrupted when my phone went off. Solution? Wireless.

Items used:
Apple TV - I used the second generation model.
Power inverter - Mine has two DC outlets and a USB outlet
HDMI-to-Composite converter - Amazon, get a mini one
AC outlet - AutoZone
P.I.E. X3
Nav2Go or NavTool
Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver - optional

The NAV module plugs in behind the NAV unit. Read a DIY guide on that, I installed it a well over a year ago. I ran a video cable from that unit, under the console, and ending at the dash. The P.I.E. X3 module plugs into the back of the radio unit. The input box (whatever it's called) is under the dash, with the switcher in the lower cubby in the center stack. I didn't drill anything and it fits perfectly.

Ok, so now you have the basic setup. I spliced into one of the AC outlets, added another, then ran it under the driver's seat. I plugged the power inverter into that, and plugged in the Apple TV, Belkin unit, and HDMI converter (uses USB power) into the inverter. The Belkin unit is hooked up to one of the audio channels on the P.I.E. unit. The receiver is in the lower cubby. Bluetooth audio, check. The Apple TV is in the upper cubby ad I wish I would have drilled a hole for the wiring because the door doesn't open all the way, but I don't really need it to. The HDMI cable goes to the converter, the audio from the converter goes to P.I.E., the video goes to the video cable ran from the NAV module. I used an Accord fog light switch to go from NAV to TV.

End result is a stock-looking interior with Bluetooth audio and Apple TV.

Problems you may run into:
- I jailbroke my iPhone so I could use tethering with my unlimited data (AT&T). I have gone from 1.5GB/month to over 10 so far in about 3 weeks.
- You could plug in a router and get a mobile hotspot unit. The best option for that is TruConnect from Wal-Mart (can only get it there). It is no contract and the data is pay as you go. Good plan for a car.
- The Apple TV resets every time you turn off the car. It takes about one minute for it to get connected and ready.
- One episode of Breaking Bad ran down my battery. Everything together uses very little power, but it's worth noting.

I think that's it.

The following users liked this post:
triax37 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey bro. I'm looking to do a similar setup in my car but my issue is power. I hear that it's not good to use power inverters because they are a fire hazard. Also heard it can create audio noise. Have you experienced any of this? Also I didn't quite follow where you hid everything. I have a 2010 tl
Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
you watch tv in your car?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
That's crazy.....
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thats awesome! Come out to Utah and Ill pay you to do mine
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
oops is that your face?

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
very cool especially if u could find a way to have wifi in the car without tethering to ur phone
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
This is amazing - I "thanked" the OP, but it's more of "you're a bad-ass."
The following users liked this post:
NWSTL (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Racer

Thanks guys. Apparently I haven't been on here in a while.

I do hear the power inverter if the car isn't running, just on ACC. No audio issues through the speakers or anything. The wiring is hidden under the cup holders and running back to the NAV unit in the trunk. Some wiring is to the back of the HU for the PIE x3, that module is behind the panel under the steering wheel. I wired a new AC power outlet by tapping the one in the lower cubby, that comes out under the cup holder and under my seat so the power inverter can be plugged in and have room to breathe and not get hot. The Apple TV is in the upper cubby. The HDMI-to-RCA converter is next to the shifter base.

I actually have it taken apart right now so I'll get some pictures. It has 186k miles and I have no intention of cleaning it, so there will be dirt.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
you watch tv in your car?
I've only watched one thing I haven't seen beforehand and that was Hangover 3 on the way to the beach. I mainly use it now for music. The option is always there to watch live sports though if I want. I really just did this because I can.

Originally Posted by cazio
very cool especially if u could find a way to have wifi in the car without tethering to ur phone
One of the bullets at the end of the original post has a way to do it with a pre-paid wireless card.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by NWSTL
The option is always there to watch live sports though if I want.
That is sweet. Nice job.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
nice. I have the nav2go unit so I can watch DVDs on long trips. the apple tv is a great idea though!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
nice. I have the nav2go unit so I can watch DVDs on long trips. the apple tv is a great idea though!
All it would take is a video switcher to add a DVD player, game console, etc. I probably will add one in the future just because it's easy to add and opens more options. Where did you put yours? I like the idea of the rear cup holder area.