anyone have a radar detector (valentine one) hardwired in their TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
06 TL Owner since 10/31/0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a radar detector (valentine one) hardwired in their TL?

i was debating on hardwiring the valentine one into the TL. i was wondering if anyone has pulled this off and had any pictures of the final product.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i have one hardwired. the laser shifters are positioned on my front / rear bumpers, the radar detector is inside the front bumper. i have a small control screen that is mounted on my steering wheel column.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
06 TL Owner since 10/31/0

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i have one hardwired. the laser shifters are positioned on my front / rear bumpers, the radar detector is inside the front bumper. i have a small control screen that is mounted on my steering wheel column.
sounds good, if u could get some pics up i'd appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Wiring a radar detector is not a big deal. I've wired my V1 to my last 6 or 7 cars with remote display and it's like a 20min job.

I have my detector mounted at the top of the windshield to the passenger side of the mirror with my remote display mounted around about my VSA button. I drew power from the fuse box and ran the wire up my a-pillar and tucked it under the trim, and then across the front of the headliner and tucked the wire up under there as well.

It's easy as pie, you can do it. It's the only way to go. Remote and hardwire.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
My V1 is hardwired, ran the wire up the Apiilar and it's mounted in the top left corner of the windshield. Seems like a good spot, I've been stopped twice with it mounted there (HOV violation and front plate... our law enforcement officers are truly focused on the right kind of criminal around here... in VA it's illegal to use a radar, but neither cop noticed it there.

There's a thread in 3G garage discussing how to hardwire it in properly.

My remote display is mounted here:

Kinda neat that way. The door closes and it's outta sight.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
To the original poster, search the board; several people over the years have posted info on this, including "how-to" guides with pictures.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by Kennedy
My V1 is hardwired, ran the wire up the Apiilar and it's mounted in the top left corner of the windshield. Seems like a good spot, I've been stopped twice with it mounted there (HOV violation and front plate... our law enforcement officers are truly focused on the right kind of criminal around here... in VA it's illegal to use a radar, but neither cop noticed it there.

There's a thread in 3G garage discussing how to hardwire it in properly.

My remote display is mounted here:

Kinda neat that way. The door closes and it's outta sight.
Finally... a use for that too-small compartment next to the cigarette-lighter plug!

Seriously, I've been using a portable Cobra unit mounted low, 'cause I thought it would be better for laser and to save a few bucks over a hard-wired unit. But I don't like to keep unplugging it (so nobody will steal the unit), so a hard-wired unit is probably the way to go. That little door may be elegant, but when you have to open it every day, it's annoying.

Around Jersey it seems like the the troopers can have their radar guns aimed at you and the detector stays silent. Maybe they're all using instant-on or laser?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Opium den in

How does it pick up signal down there again...?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by evantec

That little door may be elegant, but when you have to open it every day, it's annoying.
True, but in Virgina Radar is illegal to use, and I this offers a way to conceal it...

Final- this is not the actual detector, the is the Valentine 1 remote display. The actual detector is attached to the top left corner of the windshield. Best place for it... High mounted, not visable from outside the vehicle.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evantec
Finally... a use for that too-small compartment next to the cigarette-lighter plug!

Seriously, I've been using a portable Cobra unit mounted low, 'cause I thought it would be better for laser and to save a few bucks over a hard-wired unit. But I don't like to keep unplugging it (so nobody will steal the unit), so a hard-wired unit is probably the way to go. That little door may be elegant, but when you have to open it every day, it's annoying.

Around Jersey it seems like the the troopers can have their radar guns aimed at you and the detector stays silent. Maybe they're all using instant-on or laser?
You're better off having your detector higher on the windshield than lower for laser. Not to knock you, but your probably having problem because you're using a Cobra. Do yourself a favor and dump that Cobra and get yourself a v1, 8500, or Bel STi.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTEC
You're better off having your detector higher on the windshield than lower for laser. Not to knock you, but your probably having problem because you're using a Cobra. Do yourself a favor and dump that Cobra and get yourself a v1, 8500, or Bel STi.
Actually it's the other way around and I've heard it from cops. When using LIDAR, cops will usually aim at the front license plate since that and the headlights are the most reflective parts of the car. The "cone" of the LIDAR beam is very narrow, sometimes only a few feet wide. Having the detector mounted as close to the plate/headlights gives you the best chance of catching the beam.

Now for radar, it is the opposite. You want the detector mounted high, but detectors like the Bel/8500 and V1 have such great range (sometimes 2 miles away) that you're really not sacrificing much by putting it low.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
8th Gear

I tend to agree, with the other V1 user, and the web site. Aside from the LED taillights on Chevy SUVs, and the cruise control sensor on the Infinity I get the best results from the top, I mount mine right above the rearview and do not use the remote display.

http://valentine1.com/laserhowto/