Android Tablet Integration

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like it might be your iSimple adapter. I was told that those tend to have a lot of problems. I would try replacing it with a USASpec adapter. The build quality is a lot better.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

That's some good work great idea
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Aztec209,

I'm planning on installing the Nexus 7 in my TSX just like you did. What I'm wondering is how you set up to control the power and volume buttons from the Nexus 7? From the pictures you have provided, it doesn't show that. Did you open up the Nexus and solder some switches or something? Also, how did you attach/reinforce the Nexus so it stayed attached to the panel? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced

I would like to know this too. I'm going to play my Nexus 7 wirelessly through a Blackberry Gateway so I wont be hardwiring the aux.

Originally Posted by Masterpoolcat
Aztec209,

I'm planning on installing the Nexus 7 in my TSX just like you did. What I'm wondering is how you set up to control the power and volume buttons from the Nexus 7? From the pictures you have provided, it doesn't show that. Did you open up the Nexus and solder some switches or something? Also, how did you attach/reinforce the Nexus so it stayed attached to the panel? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmdc5
I would like to know this too. I'm going to play my Nexus 7 wirelessly through a Blackberry Gateway so I wont be hardwiring the aux.

I am also doing a Nexus 7. This video shows you how to tap into the Power and Volume buttons

Or take a look at this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1945947

I just got done soldering the buttons (very tedious). Im in the process of trying to hook it up to the NAV buttons on my bezel. I tried tapping into the connectors, but that wont work. I tried directly tapping into the actual button itself and that also doesn't work. Its a very sensitive button, and kept getting false button pushes. So sensitive that i can short the wires with just the skin on my fingers. Im still trying to figure out a way to make it a clean integration with the buttons.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Instructor

I was hoping to be able to do this, but the developer hasn't been able to get it to work properly. This would save me the trouble. Hopefully he gets it to work before I get the process started.

Last edited by Masterpoolcat; 02-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced

I was hoping to be able to do this, but the developer hasn't been able to get it to work properly. This would save me the trouble. Hopefully he gets it to work before I get the process started.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RbmIW...%3DRbmIWnh_MUo

Masterpoolcat, is this the vid you're referring to? I couldnt get your link to work.

This would be nice, im only worried about the off chances when you need to do like a hard reset where you physically need to push the buttons.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ho9984
Masterpoolcat, is this the vid you're referring to? I couldnt get your link to work.

This would be nice, im only worried about the off chances when you need to do like a hard reset where you physically need to push the buttons.
Fixed. Tried posting it from my Nexus 7, but it wouldn't take for some reason.

Hard resets are very rarely ever needed unless your flashing something. I'd prefer not to have to rewire all the buttons. I try to make all my mods reversible. If I could find a replacement ribbon, then I'll probably solder it to a push button and run a wire next to the steering wheel in the dash.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Fixed. Tried posting it from my Nexus 7, but it wouldn't take for some reason.

Hard resets are very rarely ever needed unless your flashing something. I'd prefer not to have to rewire all the buttons. I try to make all my mods reversible. If I could find a replacement ribbon, then I'll probably solder it to a push button and run a wire next to the steering wheel in the dash.
If you're not interested in a hardwire, and you're charging it with "ignition" 12V. You can use andriod's "Automateit" and have it wake up with you turn on your car. You'll have a few seconds to unlock it. Also have it set to lock with charging stops.

If anyone knows how to get rid of the lock screen all together on Nexus 7, please let me know. Like if i push the "power" button, it goes straight to the home screen, vs asking you to swipe and unlock.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Go to Setting, then Security then Screen Lock. Select None. That will make it go away.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Go to Setting, then Security then Screen Lock. Select None. That will make it go away.

Thanks, i thought i looked in there. Maybe that option isnt showing because i have multiple user account set up. I will double check when i get home
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

The volume controls can be controlled through the sound settings on the Nexus 7 tablet. If you run charging cable to the cigarette light you can unplug and plug back in for power if the screen goes to sleep. It should also turn the screen on automatically when you turn the car on.

You can remove the lockscreen by going to settings>security>screen lock> none.
And you can use a screen off widget to turn off the screen.
or maybe use some thing like this

I also considered have a a audioshop make a custom mount
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8YRBtyU#t=383s

Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced

an ipad mini seems like a cool option to if it could fit. these guys seem to charge alot though

Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is anyone else using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2? My install went pretty smoothly but the one thing I've noticed is that the volume is very low. I have the volume turned up all the way in the tablet settings, but I have to turn my radio all the way to 40 to get half-way decent volume. It won't go any louder. I'd say the level is only 25% compared to the radio or cd player.

I have the tablet tapped into the XM input like the OP.
The following users liked this post:
NastyTL (03-26-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Im working on my Nexus 7 and i am almost there. Mine didnt go as smoothly as i hoped. Im having issues with a lot of static. Hopefully its just the audio cable im using. Will update with pictures when im closer to being done.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Im curious for those that have successfully moved the HVAC screen. I relocated mine lower on the dash however the circuit board is too big. The vents fror the rear heating/ac are keeping my circuit board from being able to fit. Also the top of the circuit board makes it close to impossible to fit the head unit in. I noticed the board is much bigger than all the circuitry on it. I was planning on cutting the board where there are no circuits etc to make it fit. has anyone else done this to make the screens fit in the lower spot?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Mr. Perfect

Awesome!!

Ordered my tablet and parts need, plan to work on this As soon as parts come in.

Anyone have a picture of the headphone jack tapped into the XM harness?

And do y'all have a picture of where to solder the power button connectors for the Nav Burtton?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Big Guns 101st

Is everybody using a Samsung Galaxy Tab with internet or wifi only? I'm wanting to use my wifi only tab.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by talmadgeryan
Awesome!!

Ordered my tablet and parts need, plan to work on this As soon as parts come in.

Anyone have a picture of the headphone jack tapped into the XM harness?

And do y'all have a picture of where to solder the power button connectors for the Nav Burtton?
Which tablet are you using? For the nexus 7, simply taping it into the NAV Buttons will not work. The power button on the NEXUS 7 is way too sensitive. I've tried tapping it into the harness and the actual buttons. I had to put another button sitting below on one of the NAV buttons to make it work properly.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
I just finished mine, here's what I used..

Google Nexus 7
PIE X3
Scantool OBD Link MX

I also..

- Ran the USB cord from the tablet to the arm rest storage area so I still have access to it if I need to connect my laptop

- Opened up the bezel on the top near the power/volume buttons if I need to access them later by removing the center AC vents.

- Mounted a 12VDC computer fan to a plexiglass piece I made to the back of the tablet and installed a switch for the fan in the arm rest storage area

- Mounted the PIE X3 switch unit in the arm rest storage area

- Mounted the PIE X3 control unit behind the HVAC/radio display

- Powered the PIE X3 and the 12VDC fan off the 12VDC source that was previously powering the cigarette lighter port in the center console cubbies

- Unlocked / Rooted the tablet and setup tasker using tasker helper and secure settings to setup profiles so the tablet

-- Powers on when charging (car is on) and enables all of the radios
-- Automatically pairs with my bluetooth OBD link
-- Keeps the screen and wifi on at all times while charging
-- Turns on airplane mode when not charging
-- Disables GPS and disconnects from the scantool OBD link
-- Turns off the display after 10 seconds

So far it works great, I can turn my wifi hotspot on, get in my car, turn it on and the tablet turns on right away, tethers to my phone and I can start a radio station of my choice on iheartradio or something else (I could automate that with tasker as well).

I'm also using Navigon as my navigation software of choice and have Torque loaded on it for the bluetooth OBD link which also works great.

I paid a little more for the scantool bluetooth OBD link over the others as it has a sleep mode that shuts it down while the car is off so it doesn't kill my battery and I can just leave it plugged in all of the time.

Photos attached

As a sidenote I'm pretty sure I can get my phone to work over the tablet (for phone calls) but its sort of a round about way to do it here's what I think it'll take.

1) Setup a Google Voice account
2) Setup tasker to auto-forward calls to your google voice account once your phone sets up a tethered connection to the tablet (you get in the car, this is the only way to automate this part)
3) Setup tasker to disable auto-forwarding of calls from google voice once the phone is no longer tethered to the tablet (you turn the car off and the tablet goes into airplane mode)

I'm going to play around with it, since my HFL is busted right now (cheap things). This would be a loss of the steering wheel buttons, but it'd replace the prone-to-failure acura bluetooth with the tablet and use the car's speakers.

I'm sure the tablet can answer the calls immediately, it's just a question of if I'm playing music getting it to mute that while I'm in call and restart it afterwards if it doesn't already do that.

I can probably get it to work, but will have to play around in tasker some to do it and call myself from skype to test it out.
Attached Thumbnails Android Tablet Integration-img_0001.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0005.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0006.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0007.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0009.jpg  

Android Tablet Integration-img_0011.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0012.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0013.jpg   Android Tablet Integration-img_0036.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Don't mean to double post just thought I'd throw a note on here.

I used the Asus Nexus 7 and for those considering this the mod required quite a bit of soldering, not only in extending the AC switch controls but I also cut the vehicle harness where it plugs into the HVAC display and extended those.

I also couldn't find a 3.5mm jack small enough or a USB cable with a bend short enough to fit. So I completely removed the molding from both the USB cable and 3.5mm jack and re-soldered the wires onto them (really small wires on the USB) then used heat shrink and electrical tape to cover those up.

The tablet lines up straight on mine inside the bezel, but I'd think you could have some trouble getting it to line up with a different 3.5mm jack (I saw someone use a 90 degree bend from radio shack) or USB cable.

My cable is 6' and given the path it runs it reaches the center arm rest with about a foot to spare inside of the storage area. Just long enough for me to use with my laptop really, any shorter and there's no way it would've been long enough.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
9th Gear

Nexus vs Tab 2

My navi died this past weekend, and as some of you already know $3k is ridiculous for a system that I wasn't using in the first place. I see that there are a few people that seem to have had luck with the Nexus 7. One or two with the Tab 2. My question is:

Should I install the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Tab 2? And Why?

I like the fact that the GT2 has the hdmi out and the MicroSD expansion. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

A few good reasons to go with the nexus 7 over the galaxy tab 2

- Nexus 7 has GPS (if you want to use it as a Nav you'll need this or some external GPS)
- Nexus 7 has NFC (android beam)
- Nexus 7 has bluetooth
- Nexus 7 has a microphone
- Nexus 7 has a Gyroscope
- Nexus 7 has a Magnetometer (whatever that is)
- Nexus 7 is ridiculously easy to unlock the bootloader on (Google made it that way) making it easier to hack and leading to more dev support on forums like XDA Developers
- Nexus 7 is by Google & Manuf. by Asus, since it's one of Google's Nexus devices it will always have the latest Android OS soon after Google rolls out its updates
- Google releases less devices each year, meaning the Nexus 7 will likely have support for a long time

The $180 Galaxy Tab 2

- Does not have the above features
- May lose support from Samsung leaving it on an older version of android eventually as google pushes past Jellybean and Samsung goes past the Galaxy Tab 2
- Samsung releases a lot of devices each year
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Big Guns 101st

I noticed all of the non-nav users moved the AC display down to the hidden comparements near the shifter. Would it be easier to purchase the nav AC DISPLAY so it will display where the non-nav clock is?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Mr. Perfect

Completed my tablet install, Used an Acer A100, cost around $175 for everything i needed. Thank you Gryphter

Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Mr. Perfect

Which tablet are you using? For the nexus 7, simply taping it into the NAV Buttons will not work. The power button on the NEXUS 7 is way too sensitive. I've tried tapping it into the harness and the actual buttons. I had to put another button sitting below on one of the NAV buttons to make it work properly.
I used the Acer A100
Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Burning Brakes

So for anyone interested I was able to get my Nexus 7 to place and receive calls from my mobile number, here's how it works:

1 - Setup a google voice account
2 - Get a google voice number
3 - Setup google voice to forward calls to google chat (in google voice settings)
4 - Install Groove IP on your tablet
5 - In groove IP go into the troubleshooting settings
6 - Set the WiFi Tablet setting to enabled (plays audio as music and uses all of the car's speakers vice just the center)
-- There's some other settings in here that are worth turning on, can't remember all of them that I'm using
7 - Setup dynamic echo cancellation

Using tasker I did the following on my phone..

Profile - (STATE) Bluetooth Enabled 'ON'
-- Task 1: Call: (Call forwarding number, e.g. for ATT it's **21*GOOGLEVOICENUMBERHERE#
-- Task 2: Enable WiFi Hotspot

Profile - (STATE) Bluetooth Enabled 'ON' (INVERTED)
-- Task 1: Call: #21# (disable call forwarding this is for ATT)
-- Task 2: Disable WiFi Hotspot

Using tasker I did the following on the tablet..

Profile - (APP) In Call (select Groove IP)
-- Task 1: Kill (as root) iheartradio (or other music app you're using, if you don't do this music will keep playing during your call)

Profile - (APP) Out of Call (select Groove IP & Invert)
-- Task 1: Launch iheartradio (or whatever you were using, this will restart the app or music, not necessary if you want to restart it manually after the call, I thought I'd automate it)

With these profiles and the ones I posted before all I have to do now when I get in my car is manually turn on bluetooth on my phone and the following is all automated..

Ignition in ACC or ON position..
1 - Tablet powers on and disables airplane mode, enabling all radios
2 - Tablet keeps the screen and wifi on at all times
3 - Tablet connects to the OBD Link MX
4 - Phone enables call forwarding to google voice (enabling me to receive calls on my tablet)
5 - Phone enables WiFi hotspot
6 - Tablet connects to the WiFi hotspot when it senses it
7 - iheartradio starts playing audio

Ignition in OFF position and bluetooth disabled on my phone..

1 - Tablet disconnects from OBD Link MX
2 - Tablet enables airplane mode
3 - Tablet shuts off the display after 10 seconds
4 - Phone disables call forwarding (restoring its functionality as a phone)
5 - Phone disables WiFi hotspot (saving battery life)

With the setup in calls the receive audio works fine - once groove ip is set to use the tablet as a wifi only tab and plays voice as music.

However the microphone in the tablet doesn't work very well (it's obviously buried in the plastic) so it's looking like I'm going to purchase a bluetooth mic and place it somewhere.

I'm thinking if I can find one that will run off 12VDC I can install it where the old HFL was in the console and power it off of the switched 12VDC power wires and ground that were for the HFL.

I'll obviously test it out first, alternatively I could power it off the USB in the arm rest storage area and route the mic somewhere, but I think that wouldn't be as clean.

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-04-2013 at 02:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mzilvar:
maharajamd (04-04-2013), talmadgeryan (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Mr. Perfect

nice find Mzilvar
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I added another task to my tablet profiles to prevent static from building up in my speakers (I could hear it every morning, since the tablet stays on all night and it would go away eventually)

I added to the car on profile:

Task: Silent Mode - disable

and to the car off profile I added

Task: Silent Mode - enable

Just to mute everything and hopefully get rid of the static.

I'm also trying talkatone now instead of groove IP, I was reading on XDA DEV some and it seems like a lot of nexus 7 owners have trouble with groove IP working reliably (the mic) and use talkatone instead.

I also noticed talkatone muted other audio when I was in a call automatically, something that groove IP didn't do for me eliminating the need to, rather forcefully, automate killing the music app I was using.

It's essentially the same thing, just free w/ ads.

I'll do some testing with my girlfriend today and see how well it works, hopefully much better.

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been doing a bunch of testing with the N7 to try to work around the internal mic.

So far here are the issues, just thought I'd put it up here:

- N7 is not configured to use a 3.5MM stereo headset w/ mic (the jack in the N7 simply doesn't support it)

- N7 does not natively use a BT mic (from headset easily)

- N7 internal mic picks up a lot of in-car noise, it works, but it's noisy or the distant end can barely hear you

I sort of fixed the BT headset problem to enable voice commands within the N7 to be received from the blutooth headset and then play the audio from the result through the car speakers

I'm using Soundabout in order to accomplish this.

This app helps with the car setup as well as it allows you to set the tablet to play all of your audio as a 'Wired Headset' setup to force it out the 3.5mm Stereo output.

In soundabout there is a setting in the 'Bluetooth' section that allows you to set 'Mic Bluetooth Mono' or something like that to 'ON' this forces the N7 to use your BT mic on your headset as opposed to the internal one.

This works for apps like GoogleNow or for voice commands and will play the audio from these on the car speakers.

It doesn't play nice with GrooveIP or Talkatone though, for phone calls. Inside of these apps I'm having trouble.

I can get them to recognize the BT headset, but once it does it forces all of the audio through the BT device instead of just using the MIC from the BT and the car speakers for audio.

I suppose if you wanted to use a BT headset to receive calls it'd work, but that's not what I'm trying to do.

I read around on XDA dev and the web about this as well, and it seems a lot of people are having trouble with this. I think I'm a bit ahead of them as nobody else was using soundabout to accomplish this.

May be able to fix this later, but it seems more like a problem with the way that GrooveIP and Talkatone force the use of a BT headset and also with the sound stack for android.

For now it works, with soundabout, for voice commands with a BT headset. And with the internal mic the distant end may just have trouble hearing you.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mzilvar
I added another task to my tablet profiles to prevent static from building up in my speakers (I could hear it every morning, since the tablet stays on all night and it would go away eventually)

I added to the car on profile:

Task: Silent Mode - disable

and to the car off profile I added

Task: Silent Mode - enable

Just to mute everything and hopefully get rid of the static.

I'm also trying talkatone now instead of groove IP, I was reading on XDA DEV some and it seems like a lot of nexus 7 owners have trouble with groove IP working reliably (the mic) and use talkatone instead.

I also noticed talkatone muted other audio when I was in a call automatically, something that groove IP didn't do for me eliminating the need to, rather forcefully, automate killing the music app I was using.

It's essentially the same thing, just free w/ ads.

I'll do some testing with my girlfriend today and see how well it works, hopefully much better.

you post have helped me alot. Im almost done with my N7. Can you tell us which app "tasker" you're using. Im still not sure which on you're talking about
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

you post have helped me alot. Im almost done with my N7. Can you tell us which app "tasker" you're using. Im still not sure which on you're talking about
Here's the tasker app that I'm using:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en

And then secure settings (a plugin for tasker) is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.plugin&hl=en

To get even more functionality out of secure settings, open the secure settings app and install 'Tasker Helper' from inside of secure settings.

You need to be at least rooted in order to do this.

Also I was reading up and found a really cool kernel for the N7 - fixed - in-car installation here:

http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Adds a lot more functionality some things it adds:

- USB DAC support
- USB Host mode for the N7 while charging
- Deep sleep options
- Modified landscape mode (moves the icons and pull-downs to the bottom)

And much much more.. some are using this ROM to plug in a USB back-up camera to the N7 powered through a USB hub in the car. Alternatively you could plug in a flash drive with music on it and play it from the N7 as long as your hub is accessible you could easily connect it to your PC and change the music stored on it.

They've got the N7 all hacked for the car installs with this one, another reason to go with the N7 over the other 7" tabs as support for the kernel and ROM is strictly N7.

I'm looking at purchasing a hub and starting on this project with the USBROM on the N7.

You need to be bootloader unlocked in order to install this and have some familiarity with Android recovery / flashing android devices.

As another side-note the bluetooth audio is totally borked in grooveip and talkatone. Even once it connects in a call all you get is static in your earpiece for the receive and it won't play the receive through the car.

I may be able to fix it, but it'll take me loading a custom kernel/ROM and patching it for PDROID support then killing grooveip's access to bluetooth. I don't know if it'll work, but it'll prevent it from changing the mic/audio path settings in android since the problem starts when you get into a call and it toggles your bluetooth off. If the app is prevented from doing this it won't muck with the way android is setup with soundabout, but the app may just crash when it attempts to toggle bluetooth and fails to do so. So it's sort of a longshot but it might work for now until functionality is added 'hopefully' sometime in the future.

You can use the BT headset for voice commands and some other apps in the N7 though as I previously stated using Soundabout and changing it to force the default mic to 'Bluetooth Mono' under the bluetooth settings.

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Ho9984 (04-09-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Another quick update.

The problem with bluetooth doesn't appear to be grooveip or talkatone, seems more like it's a problem with the N7 bluetooth stack from google.

I've gone to CM10.1 USB-ROM on my N7 now and the added functionality is definitely nice. It added a lot of pretty cool features and I've got mine forced into landscape mode now.

New problem with the rom I loaded though - if I connect my bluetooth headset now the internet connection on wifi gets dumped. It's a bug in the bluetooth stack, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon (I didn't have this problem when it was stock).

I've got parts on the way, USB hub, power supply, stereo USB DAC w/ Mic input to tinker with this one some more.

My current plans:

- Ditch the bluetooth headset
- Use the stock MIC from the HFL and wire it into the USB-DAC
- The CM10.1 rom I'm running supports a USB-DAC w/ MIC line-in

I'll be doing some testing with it, currently planning on..

- jumpering (with alligator clips/custom cable I'll make) stock acura MIC from the HFL connector to the USB line-in mic (once it's all setup) and do some testing

If I can get that to work here's what I intend to do..

- Cut the MIC +, - and Shield from the HFL connector
-- there are 6 wires, 3 from the mic and 3 that go from the HFL to the radio (probably for playing the received HFL audio in your stock HU)

-- If it works in my test (before I chop anything) I'll splice these together to pass the MIC audio down to the stock HU

- Cut the HFL +, - and shield from the back of the stock HU connector (after jumpering and testing to ensure it still works after the splice by the HFL connector)

- Solder some stereo wires to the lines I cut from the back of the stock HU

- Patch these into my USB-DAC mic-in line (connected to N7 through hub)

That should let me use the stock MIC with the N7 through a USB connection and get me full HFL functionality out of the N7 (hopefully) w/ the voice recognition using the stock mic.

I'm not sure how well the MIC will work though and if the stock HFL had some noise cancelling features on the PCB that worked with the MIC or if the stock mic is a dynamic mic or a condenser mic. If it's dynamic it should work.

This would let me use the stock harnesses and shielded wires to get the audio connection down to my USB input as well, which would be ideal.

Will give it a go once my parts come in.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

before i start a new thread i have a question that relates to this thread. Im going to hopefully tackle this project this weekend and wanted to know if anybody here knows where the steering wheel control wires for channel up and down and navigation voice button and back (cancel) are located?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Still no joy here with the MIC input for phonecalls either on bluetooth or USB.

Here's how my setup looks now though, USB support was added.

With the USB-DAC you could really spring for an audiophile quality converter and get a lot better sound quality. I'm just using an inexpensive one, but still better quality than on the 3.5mm jack and it eliminates the need for that cable to be custom made to fit.

The hub can also support the obvious.. USB Flash drives, USB HDD's, USB camera (for back-up camera), etc. etc. etc.. I haven't added any other devices yet, but plan on adding the back-up camera sometime later.
Attached Thumbnails Android Tablet Integration-my-setup.jpg  

Last edited by mzilvar; 05-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Still no joy here with the MIC input for phonecalls either on bluetooth or USB.

Here's how my setup looks now though, USB support was added.

With the USB-DAC you could really spring for an audiophile quality converter and get a lot better sound quality. I'm just using an inexpensive one, but still better quality than on the 3.5mm jack and it eliminates the need for that cable to be custom made to fit.

The hub can also support the obvious.. USB Flash drives, USB HDD's, USB camera (for back-up camera), etc. etc. etc.. I haven't added any other devices yet, but plan on adding the back-up camera sometime later.
Good job. I'm trying just to get a much simpler install. Nexus 7 with AUX and USB for charging. I thought about doing the USBROM you suggested, but that was way to much to dive into. Not sure which kernel to install, or you can just do the ROM etc etc.

I am going to install a fan like you, the summer heat in AZ is just to much.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Good job. I'm trying just to get a much simpler install. Nexus 7 with AUX and USB for charging. I thought about doing the USBROM you suggested, but that was way to much to dive into. Not sure which kernel to install, or you can just do the ROM etc etc.

I am going to install a fan like you, the summer heat in AZ is just to much.
If you navigate to here: http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

The one to install is grouper (if your tab is WiFi only) or tilapia if you have a 3G tablet (SIM w/ cell plan)

The kernel is included in the zip file on that site, so it's altogether.

Could do some reading on XDA if you're not familiar with unlocking/flashing recovery/flashing kernel's & ROMs

The newest update, 20130506 changed the boot logo to landscape mode and removed the need to have tasker altogether for the power management. All the power up and deep sleep happens automatically in the ROM itself now. I've actually stopped using tasker altogether with the latest update. Still using it on my phone though.

Also of note, if you use a USB DAC, like me, you need to pull the audio cable out of the 3.5mm jack or your audio won't get routed out USB. I had this problem and removed the 3.5mm cable that I had run.

Some other tweaks in the latest update too, really loving it. The audio quality is much better on USB DAC, with my HU on 7 or 8 I can be driving on the freeway at 60+ mph and the front windows rolled down and still hear my stock system playing music from the tablet clearly.

I actually have to turn the volume up a little when I switch it to a FM station.

Last edited by mzilvar; 05-13-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Ho9984 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced

If you navigate to here: http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

The one to install is grouper (if your tab is WiFi only) or tilapia if you have a 3G tablet (SIM w/ cell plan)

The kernel is included in the zip file on that site, so it's altogether.

Could do some reading on XDA if you're not familiar with unlocking/flashing recovery/flashing kernel's & ROMs

The newest update, 20130506 changed the boot logo to landscape mode and removed the need to have tasker altogether for the power management. All the power up and deep sleep happens automatically in the ROM itself now. I've actually stopped using tasker altogether with the latest update. Still using it on my phone though.

Also of note, if you use a USB DAC, like me, you need to pull the audio cable out of the 3.5mm jack or your audio won't get routed out USB. I had this problem and removed the 3.5mm cable that I had run.

Some other tweaks in the latest update too, really loving it. The audio quality is much better on USB DAC, with my HU on 7 or 8 I can be driving on the freeway at 60+ mph and the front windows rolled down and still hear my stock system playing music from the tablet clearly.

I actually have to turn the volume up a little when I switch it to a FM station.
Which car charger are you using? Im using the PowerGen recommended by someone on XDA Developer website. It says its charging "AC" but its barely keeping up with usage.

I know USBROM has "fastcharging", but that doesnt matter with "AC" charging correct? It only applies to USB charging right?

Thank man, been a lot of help.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Which car charger are you using? Im using the PowerGen recommended by someone on XDA Developer website. It says its charging "AC" but its barely keeping up with usage.

I know USBROM has "fastcharging", but that doesnt matter with "AC" charging correct? It only applies to USB charging right?

Thank man, been a lot of help.
If its the same one I have which is also a powergen it has two ports on it one labeled NA (Not Apple) and one labeled A (Apple). My tablet won't even turn on if I plug it into the A port, but my phone will charge on that one so thats how I use it.

Tablet in NA plug
Phone in A plug (if I'm charging it while driving)

I also had the same problem you're having when I first started using a USB hub with USB-ROM, the way I solved it was by removing the +5V wire from the USB-OTG cable from the USB Hub and powering the USB Hub externally.

It works fine now, I think part of the hub was staying on and draining the battery from the tablet slowly while the car was off. It wouldn't charge enough to positively charge the battery while driving and would slowly drain when the car was off.

See the diagram I posted to see how my OTG cable is wired, thats what I did to fix this problem, worked for me.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced

If its the same one I have which is also a powergen it has two ports on it one labeled NA (Not Apple) and one labeled A (Apple). My tablet won't even turn on if I plug it into the A port, but my phone will charge on that one so thats how I use it.

Tablet in NA plug
Phone in A plug (if I'm charging it while driving)

I also had the same problem you're having when I first started using a USB hub with USB-ROM, the way I solved it was by removing the +5V wire from the USB-OTG cable from the USB Hub and powering the USB Hub externally.

It works fine now, I think part of the hub was staying on and draining the battery from the tablet slowly while the car was off. It wouldn't charge enough to positively charge the battery while driving and would slowly drain when the car was off.

See the diagram I posted to see how my OTG cable is wired, thats what I did to fix this problem, worked for me.
Im not even using a hub right now. Just straight USB able to my tablet, and its barely keeping up. You think "fastcharging" will fix this?

Quick Reply: Android Tablet Integration