Adding more power to stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Military Enforcer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding more power to stock speakers?

Is there an easy way to add more juice to our stock speakers? I don't exactly want to change out the speakers, but we all know that the system can lack in the sound dept. What's the easiest way to get more sound through this thing?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
TL Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cacicgt7
Is there an easy way to add more juice to our stock speakers? I don't exactly want to change out the speakers, but we all know that the system can lack in the sound dept. What's the easiest way to get more sound through this thing?

Any audiophile or audio enthusiast will tell you, The weakest link of an audio system is by far its sound drivers. replacing your speakers will make your setup sound a lot better. it's also a lot more easier than running wires for an amp, and creating a speaker-level input signal for your amp. get speakers!!!!!! you might lose a little "factory bass" by getting new speakers, but the clarity difference will surpass that greatly.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Military Enforcer

I don't think you can just go and add aftermarket speakers to our stock amp, it doesn't have enough wattage, plus there aren't that many 2 ohm speakers running around that can work on low watts either so there lies a problem unless anyone knows of any...
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Use deadening

First step would be to deaden the doors and rear deck/trunk. Dynamat makes door and trunk kits or you can get other less expensive stuff. Will likely give you the boost you're looking for. Checkout this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/firefox-questions-131453/

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Put on some of the remaining sound deadning around the front speakers, and also the foam matt on the door panels. Wow what a night and day difference. Virtually no rattles from any song. Huge midbass increase, and also a big increase in loudness overall. Treble and sharpness has also increased a whole lot.

Only problem i had was that I placed too much foam matt onto the panels and couldnt fit the panel back onto the door, so I had to remove a layer or two and try again.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 98_2.5_TL
Any audiophile or audio enthusiast will tell you, The weakest link of an audio system is by far its sound drivers. replacing your speakers will make your setup sound a lot better. it's also a lot more easier than running wires for an amp, and creating a speaker-level input signal for your amp. get speakers!!!!!! you might lose a little "factory bass" by getting new speakers, but the clarity difference will surpass that greatly.
True, but then be prepared to get new amps to drive the new speakers cleanly, bypass the factory amp, EQ and/or line drivers to the amps, car alarm to protect it all, and you'll want to deaden it all anyways.

Deadening is a really good first step that retains the factory tuned system and increases loudness by keeping the stereo sound in the car and road noise out(which BTW also makes the cabin more quiet and talking on the HFL better).

I ended up getting a custom system since I like it really loud and clean but will likely go with deadening as the first on my next car.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 AM
TL Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bTwix
True, but then be prepared to get new amps to drive the new speakers cleanly, bypass the factory amp, EQ and/or line drivers to the amps, car alarm to protect it all, and you'll want to deaden it all anyways.

Deadening is a really good first step that retains the factory tuned system and increases loudness by keeping the stereo sound in the car and road noise out(which BTW also makes the cabin more quiet and talking on the HFL better).

I ended up getting a custom system since I like it really loud and clean but will likely go with deadening as the first on my next car.

True, stock dampening sucks. getting better stuff will help. I guess my point is the best way to do it is to just not use anything stock, but if you must, run just the stock radio with a JL cleansweep and then aftermarket amps and speakers. but that's a lot of money. at least a couple thousand. good point about sound dampening.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Military Enforcer

what's good cheap sound dampening stuff?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
TL Enthusiast

what's good cheap sound dampening stuff?

I'm sure a company online has cheap stuff......but if you buy bulk Dynamat it's not that expensive. it'll make your speakers sound better in every aspect. do it!

-----Like, the big package of dynamat for like 150 that's 3 big sheets or whatever.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Racer

I've been told that Home Depot has something similar to Dynamat in the roofing department for a lot less $$$. I have not verified this myself yet. Anybody?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's something else your can try. I haven't used it but it is high recommended on other online car audio forums. A 15" x 50' roll (62.5 sqft) for only $119.00

http://www.raamaudio.com/

jjh1234 - I think you were talking about Owens Corning Weatherguard. Its asphault based and sticky as hell. You can pick it up in 50 and 100lb rolls at lowes in the roofing section.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Military Enforcer

I just started reading up on fatmat, sounds pretty good